Act 17 opinions

  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

wazzle_wizzle

Lapis Lunaris
Dec 5, 2003
287
0
0
www.geocities.com
I'm not so sure how bitchy Naru was.

Remember Ami was the one who shoved Naru up against the wall and started screaming at her. Why on Earth couldn't she have said "I'm sorry, she's a bit sick. The doctor put her to bed and she's sleeping now. We're not supposed to disturb her"?

That would have solved the problem.

But she didn't do that, because as she later admitted, and as was fairly obvious, she was a bit jealous of Naru's friendship with Usagi.

And if Naru was a bit Missy towards Ami, Ami, in return, gave as good as she got. She was no victim.

Gosh, isn't it fun talking about the emotional problems of TV characters as if they were real people?
 

dodgerfan

Lapis Lunaris
Oct 23, 2003
1,812
0
0
Just outside of New York City
:D I have to wonder if the writers of this series DIDN'T realize how much interest and controversy they could stir up by changing the personalities of a couple of the main characters of the Sailor Moon story! Heck, just look at how MUCH we've discussed how different Sailor Venus and Naru are in PGSM than they were in the manga and anime of Sailor Moon! By the way, the only part of the Venus transformation I REALLY liked was when her hair turned to blonde and the red bow appeared! I really found that part of the sequence AWESOME!
 

ousouji

Lapis Lunaris
Nov 22, 2003
128
0
0
USA
Personally, I don't really have an opinion or a judgement call on how any of the characters act. I can't get mad at Rei or Minako or anyone for acting a certain way, because they're just characters playing out roles. However, I enjoy it immensely. Hesitance has been cited in past discussions as one of the things that makes PGSM a fresh incarnation. All the conflict we see is the writers' attempt at making a group of girls become friends very slowly, and to show that the Sailor Team will not immediately accept to work together, but most grow this desire over time.

This is why I love Venus's new character. I like it because it's more complex than it used to be. Personally, I'm of the opinion that she believes herself to be the princess, although there are some plot wholes (the half a year thing, and her musing that "fate can't be avoided). That aside, I think someone made a Haruka comparison. I would agree strongly with that. Venus has been fighting alone, believing herself princess, and she probably views the new senshi as weak. This has undoubtedly given her some sort of "I-have-to-accomplish-everything-myself-or-no-one-else-will" complex. The senshi are told they have to dote over and protect the princess, so these two ideas conflict. In fact, they mimic the way Minako lives her life as an idol. As an idol, she has many people doting over her, but she (due to alter-ego) must constantly disappear and avoid them. No doubt Minako is sick of all of this "protection" and doesn't really want to work around anyone, whether it's recording an album or fighting youma. When Usagi is awakened, there will no doubt be a moment of humbling.

I never really liked Venus's character before because it was so vapid. Not to say the ditsy character has to be shallow (Usagi is quality evidence against this). Just kinda like in the anime, when the characters give little speeches or muse on their loneliness, Minako usually thinks about being Sailor V. That's fine and all, but the idea wasn't fleshed out. In PGSM, Minako has real, developed reasons for feeling loneliness, random fainting on the couch, etc. This makes her, at least to me, instantly more tangible and appealing. I kinda wish she had a little bit of a ditsy side too. But I'm satistied with a character with lots of great development if some of the original comedic quality is initially sacrificed.
 
Oct 7, 2003
339
0
0
Mexico
I agree with everythin you said ousouji. This show seems more realistic in the sense of human emotions and stuff. Even tough Venus wasnt my fave from the manga or anime, she unexpectedly is my favorite from the live-action. Not only is she the prettiest girl I have ever seen :D but she is appealing and very real through what has been shown of her.
 

wazzle_wizzle

Lapis Lunaris
Dec 5, 2003
287
0
0
www.geocities.com
I guess we're now in the final stretch of our Act 17 post mortum, but there remains one controversial issue that has not yet been thrashed out fully. I'm talking about the setting of last week's episode.

The Saint Juban church... Final resting place of Rei's mother, spiritual home of Minako, sanctuary for sick dogs, Youmas and Father Guido Sarducci impersonators alike.

Many of you, I know, have been wondering about the mysterious Saint Juban, after whom the Saint Juban Church and, one must assume, the entire tenth district of Tokyo was named. Unfortunately, due to some administrative oversight, Saint Juban does not appear anywhere in the Catholic Church's official list of saints.

There's a Saint Juan, a bunch of St Julies and more St. Julians than you can poke a stick at. But alas no St. Juban! Fortunately, a lot of these Saints have similar stories, so it's probably safe to assume that St Juban wrote prognostics on death in his spare time, was roasted by Roman officials or that he was sewn into a sack filled with vipers and scorpions and hurled into the sea.

That seems to be the way of things.
 

Vash

Lapis Lunaris
Dec 28, 2003
54
0
0
Templo Hikawa
ousouji said:
Personally, I don't really have an opinion or a judgement call on how any of the characters act. I can't get mad at Rei or Minako or anyone for acting a certain way, because they're just characters playing out roles. However, I enjoy it immensely. Hesitance has been cited in past discussions as one of the things that makes PGSM a fresh incarnation. All the conflict we see is the writers' attempt at making a group of girls become friends very slowly, and to show that the Sailor Team will not immediately accept to work together, but most grow this desire over time.
Right, and that's the main story as we all know. Of course there'll be ppl that don t like some caracther, and that's the way it should be. The other way, it'd be so boring.
 

vivers

Lapis Lunaris
Jan 28, 2004
16
0
0
Just a random thought I had after finishing this episode...

You know how the episodes tend to be somewhat real-world season-oriented? Like with Halloween and New Years and all? So I think it would make sense for this whole Mamoru/Usagi/other girl thing to be all resolved on Valentine's Day. If I'm right, I guess that means 2 more weeks until it's all better between them...

But ooh! Think about a month ahead, for White Day.. :D What kind of shibby cuteness lies in store for us?

Anyway, now I'm off to rewatch the Venus henshin until I like it. Because apparently watching it enough times'll do that to you. :P
 

Capeboy R

Lapis Lunaris
Dec 23, 2003
179
0
0
dodgerfan said:
By the way, the only part of the Venus transformation I REALLY liked was when her hair turned to blonde and the red bow appeared! I really found that part of the sequence AWESOME!
I missed the red bow. I wish there was some way they could have incorporated it into Minako's civilian attire.

I liked the slow hair transformation too. Having her natural hair at the beginning of the henshin made it seem more like she was actually transforming into someone else.
 

denelson83

Lapis Lunaris
Sep 29, 2003
474
0
0
SNAPPED!!!
www.nelsonmedia.ca
vivers said:
You know how the episodes tend to be somewhat real-world season-oriented?
Yeah. I guess you could say that the date that each episode is literally set in is exactly the same as the date it's first aired. If the show airs on January 10, then the date on all the calendars within the story itself is also January 10.
 
Sep 22, 2003
857
10
5
NY, NY
Just saw it.

Dude, Sailor Venus is such a bad ass! Rock on!

I hope this episode eventually sets up a closer relationship between Rei and Minako (especially since Rei was so hesitant in joining the team too)
PLus, it would really funny if the Karaoke hater and the pop idol became best friends!

Question...do you think Venus is planning to sacrufice herself? I mean...giving the senshi more time to get the hang of this, then she'll let herself be taken by the Dark Kingdom, so she throws them off for good.
*shrug* Just postulating.
 
denelson83 said:
Yeah. I guess you could say that the date that each episode is literally set in is exactly the same as the date it's first aired. If the show airs on January 10, then the date on all the calendars within the story itself is also January 10.
Whoa, that's a phenomenon that I never thought of.

Cordelia LeFay said:
PLus, it would really funny if the Karaoke hater and the pop idol became best friends!
It would, wouldn't it? Actually, I think Minako-chan liked her just because Rei-chan didn't know who she was until she looked at the magazine with Minako-chan on the cover. Man, to see them together really, really rocks my socks! :D
 

Palador

Lapis Lunaris
Jan 10, 2004
49
0
0
Malachite82 said:
She knows she is not the princess... :)
Here's a thought.

What if Minako/Venus really WAS the princess?

I know, I know, I'm rocking the boat here, but work with me for a bit. What if she know that she was the princess already, and that Usagi and crew really are her guardians. We take it a given that Sailor Moon must be the princess because of what was in the original anime and manga, but what if PGSM wanted to be different and choose this route? I wonder how things would be different then.
 
All this act does is confirm that I am completely right in the fact that Venus kicks everyones asses totally and completely.

First of all, that little cresent moon thing she threw. I love how she grinned then got serious after the youma deflected it. More of that deadly serious fighting attitude she seems to have.

Then the way she royally (LOL WHAT A PUN OMG) verbally bitch-slapped Mars for failing to chase the youma. The face on Mars was priceless and the way Venus looked at her made me think "take THAT Mars you jerk"

They should make an episode where all that happens is Venus poses, shoots a dozen youma and/or severely kicks their asses and generally acting badass, followed by her punching every sailor senshi in the face for not being as cool as her. I would play that episode over until it was engraved into my brain.
 

Malachite82

Lapis Lunaris
Nov 21, 2003
212
0
0
Boston
Valtiel said:
All this act does is confirm that I am completely right in the fact that Venus kicks everyones asses totally and completely.

First of all, that little cresent moon thing she threw. I love how she grinned then got serious after the youma deflected it. More of that deadly serious fighting attitude she seems to have.

Then the way she royally (LOL WHAT A PUN OMG) verbally bitch-slapped Mars for failing to chase the youma. The face on Mars was priceless and the way Venus looked at her made me think "take THAT Mars you jerk"

They should make an episode where all that happens is Venus poses, shoots a dozen youma and/or severely kicks their asses and generally acting badass, followed by her punching every sailor senshi in the face for not being as cool as her. I would play that episode over until it was engraved into my brain.
Yeah I loved it when she threw that crescent boomerang. She felt so confident and serious. Ever since she faced against Tuxedo Kamen in the very first episode, she has been so awesome! Also, she's sooooo gorgeous to look at whenever she fights someone...even with Mars! :)
 

dodgerfan

Lapis Lunaris
Oct 23, 2003
1,812
0
0
Just outside of New York City
:wink: And the youma in Act 17 was so cool! Knocking aside the best attacks Mars and Venus could throw at it! The youma and the fighting sequences have improved so much in the last two months or so! I can remember laughing aloud at the youma and their fights against the senshi in Acts 3, 4, and 5! I sure hope this is a trend of this series that will continue!