BSSM and other magical girl shows

  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Your opinion on BSSM's followersand the amgical girl genre? (e.g. Precure, Tokyo Mew Mew)

  • I love the genre and the shows all all good despite their flaws. :love:

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I like the genre and some of the "followers", but not all of them.

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I have mixed feelings about this matter. :neutral:

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I don't really like the genre, SM is my only one.

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • ALL THE OTHER SHOWS ARE RIPOFFS ASDFGH

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • other option, please specify

    Votes: 1 5.9%

  • Total voters
    17
#1
There's been some debate from the beginning of the success of BSSM about other mahou shojujo-franchises being "rip offs" or "fakes". However, that's not entirely true. I've said it myself somewhere before, but I'll now quote Woobwoob:

Woobwoob said:
I know I'll be watching both SM and Precure next year. :love: The way I see it, if you like SM and teams of magical girls in general, you'll like Precure. Also any other series that's been called a SM "ripoff" before like Tokyo Mew Mew or Mermaid Melody. They're all different and they're all good. SM basically just started a new genre of magical girl.
Let us discuss: do you feel that the shows made after SM that follow the "pattern" set by SM? Or is SM your only one and you don't like the genre in general and feel that all the other shows are cheap fakes? :(

*Note: I tried to fit in as many answers as I could, but I can't stuff everything into the poll, hence the "other" option. :P
 
Jul 5, 2009
8,536
770
665
Philippines
#2
I only like some of them.

So far what I liked are Cardcaptor Sakura, Rayearth, Mai Hime and Wedding Peach DX. I haven't tried Madoka and only have watched a few episodes of Pretear and the first Precure. I haven't watched Tokyo Mew Mew. Watched a little of Mermaid Melody but I didn't like it much.
 
#3
Hmm.... I like some of them. Some of the PreCure series did not catch my fancy, especially Heartcatch. I thought the style of it was ugly and it was pretty boring. But I loved Suite Pretty Cure.
Of course, my all time favourite is Puella Magi Madoka Magica. It has some ties with SM, but it has this kind of... feeling of originality? It's pretty different. I love how it has such a dark plot. It's pretty deceptive.

I've watched Pretear, and I just thought it was odd, Rayearth was great, very beautiful storyline (though I can't find the 2nd season subbed!) Cardcaptor Sakura... was meh. It definitely wasn't my kind of thing. I tried watching Wedding Peach, but it bored me like hell. I dislike Mermaid Melody, it's so bubbly and too happy :/
 

Rika-Chicchi

Staff member
Site Admin
May 7, 2009
37,540
1,021
1,665
#4
Sailor Capricorn said:
Hmm.... I like some of them. Some of the PreCure series did not catch my fancy, especially Heartcatch. I thought the style of it was ugly and it was pretty boring. But I loved Suite Pretty Cure.
Of course, my all time favourite is Puella Magi Madoka Magica. It has some ties with SM, but it has this kind of... feeling of originality? It's pretty different. I love how it has such a dark plot. It's pretty deceptive.

I've watched Pretear, and I just thought it was odd, Rayearth was great, very beautiful storyline (though I can't find the 2nd season subbed!) Cardcaptor Sakura... was meh. It definitely wasn't my kind of thing. I tried watching Wedding Peach, but it bored me like hell. I dislike Mermaid Melody, it's so bubbly and too happy :/
I agree that some magical girl shows feel boring. :confused:

I like Cardcaptor, tho. :)
 

misterartemis

Lapis Lunaris
Sep 19, 2010
1,007
0
0
22
Desk, California
#7
I just love Madoka Magica. :love: I've seen a bit of Heartcatch and Cardcaptor Sakura, and I liked them both. I think Cutie Honey is really good too. I like the magical girl genre in general, but SM is the only one I fanboy over.
 

ShinyVoir

Lapis Lunaris
May 30, 2012
904
0
0
26
hell
#9
This is my flaw, I'm such a fangirl because I chose ALL THE OTHER SHOWS ARE RIPOFFS ASDFGH

Nobody's perfect ^_^'
 
May 2, 2007
3,492
73
65
38
Canada
#11
I like some shows like Tokyo Mew Mew, Rayearth, the little that I saw of Mermaid Melody and the first series of Pretty Cure but others just bored me like with Wedding Peach.
 

Rika-Chicchi

Staff member
Site Admin
May 7, 2009
37,540
1,021
1,665
#12
Haven't watched all the magical girl shows after Sailor Moon, but I think the latter has never been really surpassed overall - in certain specific areas, especially those more technical ones, it's surpassed by the later shows, of course. :)
 
#13
Honestly I shouldn't have said they're all good, because I actually really dislike the early Precure seasons. Those seasons are only duos and not teams, the characters are stereotypical opposites(tomboy + smart girly girl), and the costumes are hideous. I think the only other sentai style mahou shoujo I dislike is Powerpuff Girls Z, and that's only because the original Powerpuff Girls beats the crap out of that remake.

But for the most part, I love the teams. Sailor Moon, Tokyo Mew Mew, Magic Knight Rayearth, Wedding Peach, Mermaid Melody, Ojamajo Doremi, Precure seasons 4 through 9, Madoka Magica, I haven't seen much of Lilpri but it looked cute, Milky Holmes kind of counts but they don't use magic that much...

About Cardcaptor Sakura, Pretear, Cutie Honey, those don't count because it's only one girl. Needs to be a show with a group of girls like SM.
 

Mahou Shounen

Lapis Lunaris
Jul 24, 2012
3
0
0
28
Silent Hill
#14
i dont even think i've watched any anime that could be considered magical girl since i finished off and rewatched SM & Cardcaptor all those years ago until recently when i watched Puella Magi Madoka Magica and fell in love - i know a lot of people were pissed bc it was darker than a MG anime should be which i found preposterous - i love dark plots and dark plots in my favorite genre makes me even happier - i think i got off topic there though
 

Rika-Chicchi

Staff member
Site Admin
May 7, 2009
37,540
1,021
1,665
#15
Woobwoob said:
About Cardcaptor Sakura, Pretear, Cutie Honey, those don't count because it's only one girl. Needs to be a show with a group of girls like SM.
They're still compatible w/ the thread title, tho. :)
 
Mar 1, 2012
599
13
15
23
Atlanta
#16
The genre is appealing to me, but I just have a hard time sticking to anime in general. Nothing can suck me in like Sailor Moon did. Usually by the fifth episode or so I get bored.
 

ShinyVoir

Lapis Lunaris
May 30, 2012
904
0
0
26
hell
#17
I am so sorry, but I just can't do it. The only Magical girl animes I watch are Sailor Moon and Shugo Chara.
I tried to watch Pretty Cure, I really did, but I just couldn't. I used to watch Tokyo Mew Mew, but the SM similarities just got the best of me. :supercry:
 
Jul 29, 2012
4,002
783
665
#18
I love CLAMP, and therefore I love "Cardcaptor Sakura" and "Magic Knight Rayearth."

I am more of a CCS and MKR fan than a "Sailor Moon" fan; but, of course, I love "Sailor Moon."
 

Rika-Chicchi

Staff member
Site Admin
May 7, 2009
37,540
1,021
1,665
#19
douwata said:
I love CLAMP, and therefore I love "Cardcaptor Sakura" and "Magic Knight Rayearth."

I am more of a CCS and MKR fan than a "Sailor Moon" fan; but, of course, I love "Sailor Moon."
Both CCS & MKR are actually superior to Sailor Moon in a number of ways, most notably their production qualities. but I think neither can surpass the latter's status in manga/anime history. :)
 
Jul 29, 2012
4,002
783
665
#20
Rika-Chicchi said:
douwata said:
I love CLAMP, and therefore I love "Cardcaptor Sakura" and "Magic Knight Rayearth."

I am more of a CCS and MKR fan than a "Sailor Moon" fan; but, of course, I love "Sailor Moon."
Both CCS & MKR are actually superior to Sailor Moon in a number of ways, most notably their production qualities. but I think neither can surpass the latter's status in manga/anime history. :)
I completely agree with you.