- Mar 8, 2012
It's the last quarter of 1991 and Toei has just put you in charge of their latest anime series: Pretty Soldier Sailor V (shortly thereafter retitled Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon). The show is to be based on a manga series of the same name that will be serialized concurrently in Nakayoshi. The anime version must feature the same basic characters and plot points, and it cannot get ahead of the manga's plot so as not to spoil the story, but other than that you are free to shape the show as you see fit. What do you do?
- Since the series is a spin-off of the wildly popular Codename: Sailor V one-shot, I'd find it only logical to include Sailor V as a main character right away. I'd open episode one with a scene of Sailor V taking down some thieves (transitioning to Mama Ikuko reading about the incident in the paper). Episode two would be an adaptation of the one-shot, only adding Sailor Moon to the story and having the two team up at the end. I'd also have Pandora escape at the end and use her as a recurring adversary throughout the first half of the season.
- Since having Naru and Umino, and Hikaru and Amano, all in the show would be redundant, I'd axe Umino and Hikaru. (Naru is too indispensable to the plot of the first episode to removed, and Umino is a knock-off of Amano anyway, so why not keep the original as Minako's nerdy sidekick?)
- I'd actually utilize the Four Generals' divisions (i.e. I'd have Nephrite's episodes take place in North America, Zoisite's in Europe, etc). This would make for some exciting, globe-hopping adventures, courtesy of teleportation devices Luna and Artemis give the girls that can easily be turned into toys.
- Instead of the Rainbow Crystal arc, I'd do a Seven Wonders of the World arc, where each of the Seven Wonders is the site of some Moon Kingdom Royal Treasure, and once all seven treasures are brought together, the Silver Crystal would be revealed.
- I'd establish Tuxedo Mask as an international jewel thief, thus allowing him to turn up in Paris, Rome, New York --- wherever the Sailors end up. I'd also establish him as a master of disguise so that whenever Usagi runs into him (when he's not in Tux mode) he's in a different persona, and we wouldn't get to meet the real Mamoru until around episode 15.
- I'd animate the Act 1 splash page illustration for the eye catch.
- Once Usagi is revealed to be Princess Serenity, I'd give Sailor Moon an upgrade/power-up to Princess Sailor Moon, and give her an offensive attack instead of just using "Moon Healing Escalation" all the time. (Don't know what I'd call that attack though.)
- I'd stick with Rei's and Grandpa Hino's manga personalities
- I'd have Naru and Amano know the girls' secret identities from the get-go, and have Motoki discover them by the end of the season.
- No body lines during the transformations, no upskirt shots, etc
- I'd have Beryl and the Four Generals all get healed at the end
- I'd probably include Diana the Moon Fairy (probably as the identity of Boss)