[JP] 90s anime Blu-ray sets announced

  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Feb 21, 2010
283
29
15
30
Moon Palace
#22
I love the art for Vol 2!!!
Never seen this pic before it's obviously not new, but it looks new to me since I've never seen it.
Can't wait to see the art for the rest of the seasons when they're released eventually!!!
 

Umino

Lumen Cinereum
Jun 6, 2006
2,976
317
165
29
NJ
#23
I believe that was used for the original LD box? I could be mistaken, it's definitely by Kazuko Tadano.
 

mrploddy

Luna Crescens
Oct 11, 2003
381
102
165
#25
The Blu-rays will be region free.

The first press extra is the slip case. No sign of anything beyond that. I missed out on Sailor Moon Crystal Season III as Animate had special box for those who bought all 3 but I bought off Rakuten instead :(. Only JUST realised....
 
#27
NeoQueenSerenity18 said:
I have a funny feeling that Toei has been saving their best masters of Sailor Moon for bluray. :o
That's pretty likely. I have multiple possible outcomes as to what they'll use:

- A completely new HD remaster that's better than every other one, boasting bright colors, clean audio and overall seems closest to the original vision.

- A shiny new remaster, but it's cropped to widescreen and removes details of the original 4:3 frame.

- An ordinary upscale of the Japanese DVD masters with some noticeable improvement

- The exact same as the Italian R2 releases, but in Blu-Ray definition.
 

Sera-V

Lapis Lunaris
Jul 1, 2014
609
1
0
#28
Neon Genesis said:
They've been using Guardian instead of Soldier for all the versions of Sailor Moon for about a decade now. I'll be frustrated if these end up having better video quality than the Viz release.
Uhhh, the Italian/Australian DVD release is better than Viz's BD. I think it's safe to say this release will be of better quality than Viz.
 

mrploddy

Luna Crescens
Oct 11, 2003
381
102
165
#29
Just to be very clear.

These Blurays are UPSCALED. Don't get your hopes up too much.

本編映像はSD素材を元にアップコンバートしHD化作業を行い、よりクリアな映像でお楽しみいただけます
This says as much...."The video has been upscaled from the original Standard definition picture and had HD conversion treatment so you can enjoy a much clearer picure"
 

crescent

Lapis Lunaris
May 14, 2016
91
9
5
20
Canada
#30
I don't like the covers with the blue background but the others are really nice, in my opinion. They remind me of the artwork that was used for the original release back in the 90s, which I love. I'd love to collect these but it's just not worth the money.
 
Jan 25, 2017
22
39
15
#31
I'm pretty doubtful this is VIZ's upscale. For anyone who isn't aware, Toei has been airing there own upscaled version for the past two years and it looks exceptionally better than what VIZ has been releasing, which is kind of a shame because it means we might never get Toei's new remaster in the States.

My only problem with Toei's new upscale is that, for some reason, when flashy effects are used (like the flames during Mar's transformation, or black electricity) the video becomes fuzzy for those specific moments. I think it's a lack of deinterlacing? I'm not sure that's the right term, I'm not an expert. I'm hoping that's not present in the bluray release. Otherwise, I'm loving Toei's new upscale. Looks pretty crisp on my HDTV and makes me resent Viz's release even more.

Anyway, R has a couple of episodes left. I can't wait to see S upscaled properly.
 
Oct 31, 2009
7,260
848
665
33
Wallington, NJ
#32
NeoQueenSerenity18 said:
I have a funny feeling that Toei has been saving their best masters of Sailor Moon for bluray. :o
It's a confirmed upscale so no.

The transfer will be an high-definition "upconversion" of the standard-definition material.
Better than Viz's upscale? Of course it will but not better than non-Toei shows with film remasters like Utena and Neon Genesis Evangelion got recently.

Here's an idea of what the show would have looked like if they used the film instead & also fixed the red tint.

http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/com ... ?id=127972
 
Jan 25, 2017
22
39
15
#34
NJ_ said:
Better than Viz's upscale? Of course it will but not better than non-Toei shows with film remasters like Utena and Neon Genesis Evangelion got recently.

Here's an idea of what the show would have looked like if they used the film instead & also fixed the red tint.

http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/com ... ?id=127972
Yeah, it's definitely not perfect. Looks way better on my TV than anything VIZ released though, and I am happy with that. It'd be amazing to see certain episodes of Sailor Moon if they had been remastered with the film.
 
Jan 2, 2010
1,130
62
65
#35
crescent said:
They remind me of the artwork that was used for the original release back in the 90s, which I love.
That's because it IS the artwork used for the original 90's releases lol they didn't even bother to update the artwork like they did with the 2003 Japanese DVD releases.
 
Oct 31, 2009
7,260
848
665
33
Wallington, NJ
#36
First post updated.

ChibiBoi said:
crescent said:
They remind me of the artwork that was used for the original release back in the 90s, which I love.
That's because it IS the artwork used for the original 90's releases lol they didn't even bother to update the artwork like they did with the 2003 Japanese DVD releases.
Yup, here's a comparison:







Meanwhile in Italy & Australia...

 
#37
NJ_ said:
Better than Viz's upscale? Of course it will but not better than non-Toei shows with film remasters like Utena and Neon Genesis Evangelion got recently.

Here's an idea of what the show would have looked like if they used the film instead & also fixed the red tint.

http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/com ... ?id=127972
The Toei version does look better than Viz, as the colors and linework look a lot less like they were accidentally dropped in water or something.

Also, I honestly think it looks nicer without the color correction, as with it the tones look a bit glowy. The unaltered screenshot really brings out the colors.
 

Seen2

Luna Crescens
Nov 16, 2016
202
172
165
#38
NJ_ said:
First post updated.

ChibiBoi said:
crescent said:
They remind me of the artwork that was used for the original release back in the 90s, which I love.
That's because it IS the artwork used for the original 90's releases lol they didn't even bother to update the artwork like they did with the 2003 Japanese DVD releases.
Yup, here's a comparison: *images*
Good, that soft shading used on the 10th anniversary artwork looked over-the-top and awful.
 

Umino

Lumen Cinereum
Jun 6, 2006
2,976
317
165
29
NJ
#39
Seen2 said:
Good, that soft shading used on the 10th anniversary artwork looked over-the-top and awful.
I have mixed feelings on it. I think just using the old artwork with a new background just looks bizarre. Sailor Moon is one of their biggest money makers, I don't understand why they couldn't produce new artwork. Babel II (1973) just got a BD release, and Toei made sure to get Michi Himeno to do the cover art (They probably would've had Shingo Araki do it if he was still alive).
 
Oct 31, 2009
7,260
848
665
33
Wallington, NJ
#40
Umino said:
Babel II (1973) just got a BD release, and Toei made sure to get Michi Himeno to do the cover art (They probably would've had Shingo Araki do it if he was still alive).
Really? I know she had done new designs for Saint Seiya & Rose of Versailles' Blu-ray boxes but I didn't know about this. That's actually pretty cool considering her involvement with this series was only for the 1992 OVA that was done elsewhere.