[US] Sailor Moon S Viz Media Dub/Blu-Ray

  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DREWdesu

Luna Crescens
Sep 24, 2008
3,683
114
165
ShineAquaIllusion said:
Edit - One more advantage Stephanie had over Linda, and the Viz cast in general had over the DiC/Cloverway cast, is that they actually got to see what's happening onscreen. They can plain as day see the emotion they're meant to project. Whereas the '95-'00 cast, at best, could get a clip of the Japanese original, not subtitled, playing before they had to say their lines.
Actually according to the DiC/Cloverway cast they had the video as well as the script running along side it like Karaoke. Its called "rhythmo band"
 

Sabrblade

Luna Crescens
Sep 13, 2009
10,696
229
165
30
Tampa, FL
ShineAquaIllusion said:
Sabrblade said:
WHY does she say "Moon Crisis Power Transform" for the first two times instead of just "Moon Crisis Power"? It's not done as a means to better fit the lip flaps, it just crams more syllables into the lip flaps, as after the first two times, she switches to properly saying "Moon Crisis Power" without issue in matching the lip flaps. Those first two times had the same number of lip flaps as the rest, so there was no reason for her to add in a "Transform". It just makes the scene look bonkers.
It's the result of changing Crisis Make-up to Moon Crisis Power. To match the first two lip flaps, Linda would've had to say: "Moon Cryyyy... sis, Power!"

If you notice, at first, Kotono was calling her phrase in her normal way: "Crisis, Make-Up!" As she gets more desperate, she begins to say it with no pause: "Crisis Make-Up!" It would've been extremely awkward not only to say, but to hear. So what they did was stick "Transform" at the end, and put "Moon Crisis" in the first two lip flaps. It's the best they could do.
Upon further inspection of this scene, your claim that Linda would have had to have said "Moon Cryyyy... sis, Power!" is not true because when she says the "Moon" part of her version, she says it when Sailor Moon has mouthed two syllables. When the first two "Crisis Make Up!"/"Moon Crisis Power Transform!" parts are spoken, Sailor Moon mouths five syllables total. Both Kotono and Stephanie say the "Up" part of "Crisis Make Up!" with two mouth movements, but for Linda, she mouthed "Moon" on the first two syllables, crammed all of "Crisis Power" into just the third syllable alone, and then mouthed "Transform!" into the fourth and fifth syllables.

The animation had given her the perfect opportunity to mouth just the five-syllable "Moon Crisis Power!" with Sailor Moon's five mouth movements both times, especially if she was gonna mouth "Moon" on both the first two syllables, anyway, enabling her to cram only "Crisis" into the third syllable to avoid having a pause between "Cri" and "sis". After all, the word "Crisis" can be mouthed in English with just one movement despite having two syllables in it.
 
Jul 15, 2012
319
14
15
27
USA
DREWdesu said:
Actually according to the DiC/Cloverway cast they had the video as well as the script running along side it like Karaoke. Its called "rhythmo band"
That's not what I remember reading. I heard that the cast had to follow the rhythmo band and didn't see any of the onscreen action. But I'll take your word for it--you're the guy who went to cons dressed as Kunzite and interviewed the old cast, right? :D You're the expert in this field. Plus yeah, it wouldn't make much sense that they couldn't see what was going on at all...

Sabrblade said:
I'll give you that Kotono's and Linda's voices were both cracking in that scene while Stephanie's wasn't, but at the very least, Stephanie was able to scream her lines like Kotono while Linda's voice never got more intense than yelling, which isn't on the same level of intensity as screaming. This is was probably due to Linda having to try harder to hold on to her Sailor Moon voice and not let go of it during her performance since it isn't as close to her natural voice as Stephanie's Sailor Moon voice is to her own natural voice.
Oh, Stephanie did an absolutely great job. Kotono just outshines both her and Linda. :p

Sabrblade said:
Upon further inspection of this scene, your claim that Linda would have had to have said "Moon Cryyyy... sis, Power!" is not true because when she says the "Moon" part of her version, she says it when Sailor Moon has mouthed two syllables. When the first two "Crisis Make Up!"/"Moon Crisis Power Transform!" parts are spoken, Sailor Moon mouths five syllables total. Both Kotono and Stephanie say the "Up" part of "Crisis Make Up!" with two mouth movements, but for Linda, she mouthed "Moon" on the first two syllables, crammed all of "Crisis Power" into just the third syllable alone, and then mouthed "Transform!" into the fourth and fifth syllables.

The animation had given her the perfect opportunity to mouth just the five-syllable "Moon Crisis Power!" with Sailor Moon's five mouth movements both times, especially if she was gonna mouth "Moon" on both the first two syllables, anyway, enabling her to cram only "Crisis" into the third syllable to avoid having a pause between "Cri" and "sis". After all, the word "Crisis" can be mouthed in English with just one movement despite having two syllables in it.
That's absolutely not what I'm seeing in my DVD rips. I can't make a GIF, but I pulled screencaps (Which unfortunately, 3/5 of ended up looking mostly the same, so I doubt they'll help my case...) of Usagi's syllables to help illustrate what I mean.



Simply "Moon Crisis Power" It would've had her stress "Crisis" in the wrong spot for too long, thus making it sound unnatural. I still think changing it simply to Crisis Power would've been the easiest fix.
 

Sabrblade

Luna Crescens
Sep 13, 2009
10,696
229
165
30
Tampa, FL
ShineAquaIllusion said:
That's absolutely not what I'm seeing in my DVD rips.
I played mine on slow motion to get the results I got. "Moon" on the first two mouth movements, "Crisis Power" crammed into the third with some of it spoken while Sailor Moon's mouth was closed before and after the third, and "Transform!" on the final two movements.

ShineAquaIllusion said:
Simply "Moon Crisis Power" It would've had her stress "Crisis" in the wrong spot for too long, thus making it sound unnatural.
Not unless she were to still use the first two mouth movements for "Moon" like she did anyway. She'd just end ups saying "Crisis Power" slower than she did since she wouldn't have needed to fit "Transform" in there. Instead of "Moon CrisisPowerTransform!" it'd be more like "Moon Criiisis Pooower!", similar to her final one in the scene or whenever she'd normally Super Transform in other episodes.

So for the bottom row of that chart you made, "Moon" would instead span the first two screencaps, the whole of "Crisis" would be in just the third by itself, and "Power" would span the final two.
 

redneonglow

Luna Crescens
Feb 3, 2017
607
126
165
35
Planet Nemesis
neckbeard.xyz
Sep 9, 2011
3,386
207
165
26
Richmond, VA, United States
I don't think Linda's voice crack was fully intentional, even though it did add to the scene. Her voice noticeably cracked many times throughout S and SuperS, even in some last-episode previews. Those takes would not be acceptable for most anime dub productions. Sometimes it really does sound like she just needs a sip of water, or at least cough or clear her throat.
 

GTAB

Lapis Lunaris
Why is Part 2 out of stock at many places? Best Buy, Target, FYE, and Wal-Mart don't seem to have the set, while all the DVD copies on eBay are above $50. I know RightStuf and Amazon have it for the standard $40, but that doesn't explain the general unavailability and eBay's overpriced copies. I ended up buying the set from RightStuf today since I had a coupon, but I really hope more copies start to show up, and with slightly cheaper prices to boot.
 

ChibiBoi

Luna Crescens
Jan 2, 2010
1,187
148
165
GTAB said:
Why is Part 2 out of stock at many places? Best Buy, Target, FYE, and Wal-Mart don't seem to have the set, while all the DVD copies on eBay are above $50. I know RightStuf and Amazon have it for the standard $40, but that doesn't explain the general unavailability and eBay's overpriced copies. I ended up buying the set from RightStuf today since I had a coupon, but I really hope more copies start to show up, and with slightly cheaper prices to boot.
Maybe because less and less people are buying DVD-only releases?

Also, I just noticed the preview for episode 128 they said "Sailor Moon Supers" like the Japanese version, instead of "Sailor Moon Super S"
 

Sabrblade

Luna Crescens
Sep 13, 2009
10,696
229
165
30
Tampa, FL
ChibiBoi said:
Also, I just noticed the preview for episode 128 they said "Sailor Moon Supers" like the Japanese version, instead of "Sailor Moon Super S"
Verbally in the dub, or textually in the subtitles?
 

Sabrblade

Luna Crescens
Sep 13, 2009
10,696
229
165
30
Tampa, FL
ChibiBoi said:
Sabrblade said:
ChibiBoi said:
Also, I just noticed the preview for episode 128 they said "Sailor Moon Supers" like the Japanese version, instead of "Sailor Moon Super S"
Verbally in the dub, or textually in the subtitles?
Verbally in the dub.
Hooray! They pronounced "SuperS" correctly! :circles: :dance:
 
Apr 6, 2015
110
33
15
38
Just got around to watching the bluray ray of S part 2. The acting is good, but wow the video is like watching an animated jpeg. :sad:

Edit:
Looks like the third disc has better video quality than the first two. Can anyone else confirm?
 

GTAB

Lapis Lunaris
BillyKonstantine said:
Just got around to watching the bluray ray of S part 2. The acting is good, but wow the video is like watching an animated jpeg. :sad:

Edit:
Looks like the third disc has better video quality than the first two. Can anyone else confirm?
I know it probably won't help you much, but disc 1 and 2 from the DVD set look fine to me. Well, for DVDs that is. The picture quality wasn't too pixelated or smeary. I'll see if disc 3 on the DVD looks better than 1 and 2.
 

ChibiBoi

Luna Crescens
Jan 2, 2010
1,187
148
165
GTAB said:
BillyKonstantine said:
Just got around to watching the bluray ray of S part 2. The acting is good, but wow the video is like watching an animated jpeg. :sad:

Edit:
Looks like the third disc has better video quality than the first two. Can anyone else confirm?
I know it probably won't help you much, but disc 1 and 2 from the DVD set look fine to me. Well, for DVDs that is. The picture quality wasn't too pixelated or smeary. I'll see if disc 3 on the DVD looks better than 1 and 2.
You can't really see the frozen grain in the DVDs because the detail is lost. But on the Blu-Rays, it's really noticeable and really does look like gifs LOL also, the line art is loaded with stair stepping.
 
Freezing grain also is apparently an issue in the Hulu versions of the episodes. You'd think Viz would somewhat go in-depth on certain flaws...
 

Sabrblade

Luna Crescens
Sep 13, 2009
10,696
229
165
30
Tampa, FL
Lunatastic said:
Freezing grain also is apparently an issue in the Hulu versions of the episodes. You'd think Viz would somewhat go in-depth on certain flaws...
Viz: "Flaws? In our perfect version? Surely you jest, darling. There are no flaws in our superbly high-quality video that we personally enhanced and improved ourselves. Tut tut, to think that our video quality is flawed. Hohoho, what a lark."

:|
 

GTAB

Lapis Lunaris
ChibiBoi said:
GTAB said:
BillyKonstantine said:
Just got around to watching the bluray ray of S part 2. The acting is good, but wow the video is like watching an animated jpeg. :sad:

Edit:
Looks like the third disc has better video quality than the first two. Can anyone else confirm?
I know it probably won't help you much, but disc 1 and 2 from the DVD set look fine to me. Well, for DVDs that is. The picture quality wasn't too pixelated or smeary. I'll see if disc 3 on the DVD looks better than 1 and 2.
You can't really see the frozen grain in the DVDs because the detail is lost. But on the Blu-Rays, it's really noticeable and really does look like gifs LOL also, the line art is loaded with stair stepping.
Ah, now the frozen grain is something that I did notice. However, I thought that since I've seen it on other shows like Simpsons and King of the Hill, it was just built into the master tapes and decided to think nothing of it. If it's not on the tapes and it's the result of poor remastering, then that's a shame.
 

ChibiBoi

Luna Crescens
Jan 2, 2010
1,187
148
165
GTAB said:
Ah, now the frozen grain is something that I did notice. However, I thought that since I've seen it on other shows like Simpsons and King of the Hill, it was just built into the master tapes and decided to think nothing of it. If it's not on the tapes and it's the result of poor remastering, then that's a shame.
It has never been in any version of Sailor Moon ever in existence except Viz's releases. Viz will call these "collector's items" like they did with the pillarboxed set 1 DVDs LOL
 
Sep 9, 2011
3,386
207
165
26
Richmond, VA, United States
^ Speaking of which, does anyone know if Viz fixed Set 1's DVD set aspect ratio problems on any re-pressings?

I'm definitely leaning toward just getting the DVD versions from here on out, and at a reduced price at that. I have many Blu-rays in my collection with questionable/bad PQ, but they were dirt cheap. $60-$70 is way too much for these. Viz's Ranma sets were almost perfect, and cost $20-$30 less.