Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: #1 change you would like to see on our website
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:44 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 47 months ago
inactive
Quote:
All word filters, including those for curse words, were discarded last year, because overwhelming majority of members were against them.

Seriously? I never even noticed because I turned off the filter in my user profile.
That's kind of lame. I mean, surely users are able to decide for themselves if they'd prefer words censored or not, right?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:07 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Elly wrote:
Quote:
All word filters, including those for curse words, were discarded last year, because overwhelming majority of members were against them.

Seriously? I never even noticed because I turned off the filter in my user profile.
That's kind of lame. I mean, surely users are able to decide for themselves if they'd prefer words censored or not, right?

Those forum members opposing to the filters have also stated their reasons on that thread linked above by Mara. :) (BTW, I also turned them off back then. lol )

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:52 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 38 months ago
inactive
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Never mind - I've found that post, in which the words in question are actually in its quote of a pretty old post & in that old post's quote of a still older post, but not in the poster's comment itself:

viewtopic.php?p=637080#p637080

But that's the problem. The point is to not have to see those words. If someone quotes it as recently as last month, with that post being on the top of the General Discussion page, then it exists again.

I understand that those users who voted for the filters to be gone, stated their reasons for doing so. But even the person, John, who originated that topic said this:

Quote:
It's one thing to sensor out certain swear words (still annoying, but I can see how it's necessary, as this is a Sailor Moon forum and we probably attract some young users). It's another thing to censor words like "e p i c," "c o f f e e," "l o l," "s c o u t," "o m g," and possibly others I haven't discovered yet.

I can see his annoyance at seeing filters when someone wants to say, "OH ☹ YEAH!!!" or something like, "HOLY ☹ THAT'S AWESOME!!!"

But how can words like "☹" or "☹" ever be used in any positive way? Those words were designed to solely be misogynistic, vulgar, and degrade females. The topic of this forum is Sailor Moon, an entire anime based on young women.

I petition to you once again. Please get rid of the words "☹" and "☹."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:31 am 
inactive
Chibi_Seiya wrote:

But how can words like "☹" or "☹" ever be used in any positive way? Those words were designed to solely be misogynistic, vulgar, and degrade females. The topic of this forum is Sailor Moon, an entire anime based on young women.

I'll bite.

"What a truly amazing ☹"
"I can be a real ☹ when I need to be"
"I was sluttin it up last night"
"My ☹-ry 'tis of thee"

Can't blame me for trying.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:42 am 
inactive
solarsailors wrote:

I'll bite.

=) Admirable effort, I applaud you. I think the one that sounded truly natural was "I was sluttin' it up last night."

But I still take my stance on this. Do a search on the words. There are more icky than good in the few times it has popped up on the forum. And since, like RC said, few people use it, getting rid of it shouldn't matter. But having them here, is annoying when it does pop up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:10 am 
inactive
Chibi_Seiya wrote:
solarsailors wrote:

I'll bite.

=) Admirable effort, I applaud you. I think the one that sounded truly natural was "I was sluttin' it up last night."

But I still take my stance on this. Do a search on the words. There are more icky than good in the few times it has popped up on the forum. And since, like RC said, few people use it, getting rid of it shouldn't matter. But having them here, is annoying when it does pop up.

I honestly thought "I can be a real ☹ when i need to be" was the most positive. Either way, there's being respectful and than theres being censored. I can understand silencing those who stir up drama by calling other forum members out, no one wants to put up with inane internet shouting wars. Simply limiting peoples speech (on some of their favorite words no less) seems annoying. There are no bad words. I can appreciate the need to protect youngins from harsh language as well, but i doubt theres a legitimate user here below 11 years old. And trust me 11 year olds are throwing those words out more than any adult. Ultimately I don't see why anyone should limit some one elses words if its not being used against them specifically.

To tie in to the original point, I find that censoring people to be a bit of a ☹ move.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:08 am 
inactive
solarsailors wrote:
Ultimately I don't see why anyone should limit some one elses words if its not being used against them specifically.

To tie in to the original point, I find that censoring people to be a bit of a ☹ move.

I'm sure I can think of plenty of offensive words that I think are useless to society. Words such as Chinks, Japs, ☹s, Crackers, etc. But thankfully, I haven't had the pleasure of running into those words on these forums. And to have those words appeared here on the forum, it would not be under pleasant context, as they are racist and people have not been brazen enough to use them.

The words I'm specifically proposing, are "☹" and "☹." Words which were designed for misogyny. These words are not racist, but sexist and vulgar. Not matter style you suggest it may be used for, it doesn't change that fact. And many times it have been used here on the forum in a negative and sexist context.

Lastly, every forum has their version of censorship. People have been banned for a good amount of reasons, whether for verbally attacking others, repeatedly going off topic, being condescending, etc. All of that would still fall under freedom of speech. But this forum needs to still enforce its own form of censorship and rules.

This is a thread proposing change for the site, and I am suggesting a change. It is not up to me to decide, and if the mods don't enforce it, I would understand because I stated before, this was a "freedom of speech" issue. But it really is a change I would like to see. I am not ashamed to be named a "☹" for suggesting it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:25 am 
inactive
Chibi_Seiya wrote:
solarsailors wrote:
Ultimately I don't see why anyone should limit some one elses words if its not being used against them specifically.

I'm sure I can think of plenty of offensive words that I think are useless to society. Words such as Chinks, Japs, ☹s, Crackers, etc. But thankfully, I haven't had the pleasure of running into those words on these forums. And to have those words appeared here on the forum, it would not be under pleasant context, as they are racist and people have not been brazen enough to use them.

The words I'm specifically proposing, are "☹" and "☹." Words which were designed for misogyny. These words are not racist, but sexist and vulgar. Not matter style you suggest it may be used for, it doesn't change that fact. And many times it have been used here on the forum in a negative and sexist context.

Lastly, every forum has their version of censorship. People have been banned for a good amount of reasons, whether for verbally attacking others, repeatedly going off topic, being condescending, etc. All of that would still fall under freedom of speech. But this forum needs to still enforce its own form of censorship and rules.

This is a thread proposing change for the site, and I am suggesting a change. It is not up to me to decide, and if the mods don't enforce it, I would understand because I stated before, this was a "freedom of speech" issue. But it really is a change I would like to see. I am not ashamed to be named a "☹" for suggesting it.

freedom of speech =/= censorship. as you said it banns are handed out either for being rude, constantly deviating from topics, or trying to start drama. That has little to do with freedom of speech, and more to do with not being an ☹. I don't care how Mc☹☹☹ulator became a word, it is only a word. If its being used against someone, sure why not, punish that person. But why censor the word no matter its purpose? ☹ may be rooted in sexism, as is ☹, but queer was homophobic, apparently the community took that back. Same with ☹ for Africans.

Ultimately, I Don't believe people should call each other anything negative, but taking away their right to a word just because it has negative roots takes away any chance for people to even re-claim it. If you wish to put a ban on it because you personally do not enjoy that word, you are letting that word control you, and pushing an agenda to let it control everyone else. Why, if we did censor words such as ☹ and ☹, it would be awfully hard to have a conversation about the words themselves. So what if Mina acts like a ☹ or Zoisite acts like a ☹. Why can't we discuss that, or even just point it out without teacher putting us in the corner. As long as you're kind to each other, idgaf what you say.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:58 am 
inactive
solarsailors wrote:
Ultimately, I Don't believe people should call each other anything negative, but taking away their right to a word just because it has negative roots takes away any chance for people to even re-claim it.

You are right in this, and I admire you for pointing this out.

However, since this isn't a congressional debate, but a debate on what actually occurs on a private forum, I still stand my suggestion. Yes, our generation are all over the age of 20 now. But knowing that a new Sailor Moon will start soon, and we will have a fresh crop of teens on the forum, I don't see how having "☹" and "☹" being slung around carelessly on a private forum will help our atmosphere. "☹" and "☹" have NOT widely been taken back by the female community yet (though I understand some have fought back against the negative meaning it by staging sarcastic protests such as "☹ walk." Good for them!). As much as I understand your hope that positive or even interesting discussions will come from surrounding these words in this forum, I have not yet come to see it, and this forum has been opened for nearly 10 years. This is a Sailor Moon forum, and people are very straight forward when using these terms. Many ways before, which are derogatory towards women, which are half the members of this forum.

I understand you are taking an idealistic position. I am taking a pragmatic one. The likely chances of someone using "☹" and "☹" in a negative fashion, are 100 times more likely to occur then someone having intelligent conversations with those words in it in this forum.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:19 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Chibi_Seiya wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Never mind - I've found that post, in which the words in question are actually in its quote of a pretty old post & in that old post's quote of a still older post, but not in the poster's comment itself:

viewtopic.php?p=637080#p637080

But that's the problem. The point is to not have to see those words. If someone quotes it as recently as last month, with that post being on the top of the General Discussion page, then it exists again.

My point is that those words haven't been used here nowadays (except on this thread, where we're actually discussing about those words themselves, of course), & quoting pretty old posts is also uncommon here, so the chances of quoting those posts which contain those words are even rarer.

As I've already said above, I'll "*" those two words, like I do w/ "☹," when I come across them, & I welcome forum members to click the report button when they see those words. :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:41 am 
inactive
Chibi_Seiya wrote:

"☹" and "☹" have NOT widely been taken back by the female community yet

And forbidding the usage is just going to slow down the progress. I am not for particular words being reclaimed, I'm for language being claimed. What you are not only suggesting, but trying to push, is that no one can use two words that apparently have no relation to you as a person. You aren't a '☹' or a '☹'. The closest you get to relating to those words is that they are generally used to insult women. Saying "this ☹ry" cannot be tolerated, is not an attack on homosexuals. Saying "minako is a ☹" is not an attack on women, so why take it that way? You are essentially asking that everyone be forced not to use words simply because you are upset by them. Hell, even if half the forum was upset by them, it still doesn't make sense to take them away. I simply cannot wrap my mind around why you would choose to inflict this on others. Censoring the words themselves won't even take them away. there will always be 51|_|+ and cu--nt. Saying we should censor ☹ because you don't like the word is the same as having us censor the word stupid because someone doesn't like that word. In my opinion, that's stupid. See? i couldn't say that without that word. And yes, women and misogyny, but you could easily say that Stupid has been used to oppress the lower class, other races, the mentally handicapped, or anyone really.

Seriously, you need to grow a pair.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:51 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
No more "stupid," lengthy arguments on this issue, pls, as I've already said above what I'm gonna do about it, & at present there won't be automatic filters on those two words either.

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:14 am 
inactive
=) Thank you, RC. I know you, trying to accommodate my ideas, probably isn't going to go over so well with some people. I think your idea is a good one. Not filtering it, by allowing people to say it. And bleeping it out, if you do see it. I know I've put you in a tough place, so I really appreciate your efforts.

I do not mean to offend anyone with this, but I also don't feel like I need to "grow a pair" or that I am somehow making a "****" move. This is a private Sailor Moon forum, and I felt like I presented ideas and facts that applied to it. That is all. I apologize if I offended you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:17 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Chibi_Seiya wrote:
=) Thank you, RC. I know you, trying to accommodate my ideas, probably isn't going to go over so well with some people. I think your idea is a good one. Not filtering it, by allowing people to say it. And bleeping it out, if you do see it. I know I've put you in a tough place, so I really appreciate your efforts.

Not at all - I've long been bleeping out "☹" here, & now it's just bleeping out two more four-letter words, which, as I've said above, rarely appear here nowadays. Also, filtering is inflexible - manual judgment on the particular cases concerned is necessary for exception situations. :) (And I can also personally see who habitually use those words here. lol )

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:51 pm 
Sailor Pusheen Mew
Sailor Pusheen Mew
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
solarsailors wrote:
So what if Mina acts like a ☹ or Zoisite acts like a ☹. Why can't we discuss that, or even just point it out without teacher putting us in the corner. As long as you're kind to each other, idgaf what you say.

Or that if zoisite meet fisheye he might call him a ☹. XD I can see that happening. xD :lol:

maybe letting avtars be a bit bigger like 150X150.?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:24 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Chibi_Seiya wrote:

Not at all - I've long been bleeping out "☹" here, & now it's just bleeping out two more four-letter words, which, as I've said above, rarely appear here nowadays. Also, filtering is inflexible - manual judgment on the particular cases concerned is necessary for exception situations. :) (And I can also personally see who habitually use those words here. lol )

Confession here. In the topic about "manga being lazily written?" by Minako Fan, I've let a few ☹s slip out. But in my defense, I wanted to use it to emphasize how pissed the points I mentioned made me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:36 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
boromonokli wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Chibi_Seiya wrote:

Confession here. In the topic about "manga being lazily written?" by Minako Fan, I've let a few ☹s slip out. But in my defense, I wanted to use it to emphasize how pissed the points I mentioned made me.

Thx - have bleeped them in your current latest post on that thread now. :) Next time you might simply click the report button on your post. :wink:

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:54 pm 
inactive
hmm... Okay. I try to be creative with expressing my anger, but sometimes I have bad days.

have some relaxing music to go with it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:40 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
boromonokli wrote:
hmm... Okay. I try to be creative with expressing my anger, but sometimes I have bad days.

And I was just trying to be de-creative in handling your anger, if any. lol

Quote:

Sounds nice - I like ethnic-style music. :cool: Seems that you like stuff from the Dark Ages. :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:01 pm 
inactive
I'm in favor of bigger avatars. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:20 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Elly wrote:
I'm in favor of bigger avatars. :D

I think currently there's sufficient space in the avatar column to make them a bit bigger. :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:21 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 33 months ago
inactive
I'm sorry, but I find it ☹ humorous when people are offended by words.

A word is just a collection of letters. Or brush strokes, depending on your language. Either way, someone has decided to give it a certain meaning. And by accepting that meaning, you empower a word over you. You allow the word to control you, to dictate what you do, think and feel. And thus you are enslaved by that word only because you have allowed it to control you.

The sooner you can learn to laugh at the words that people use, the easier you'll find it to navigate through life.

I don't want filters on this site. It doesn't bother me that a whole slew of offensive words are used. I actually welcome it. This is how people really talk. This is how people really think. Trying to censor these thoughts just because a handful of people are bothered by these words takes away the feeling behind the words being typed. If I wanted to read a kosher website, I'd go visit CNN.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:07 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ I can also see the comments in the preceding post as nothing more than darker pixels on the screen, & hence won't let them control me. :P (That also applies to this post, of course. lol )

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:21 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 33 months ago
inactive
^ Fine with me. Guess we won't need filters then.

Debate over. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:00 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Cutiebunny wrote:
Fine with me. Guess we won't need filters then.

Debate over. :)

I've already said above that at present there's no plan to reinstall filters, :wink: & I'll "*" those three words (I've always been doing that for "☹" anyway) when I come across them & on a case-by-case basis. :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:54 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 28 months ago
inactive
More decoration! It looks kind of plain and sketch.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:23 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: My Discord ID: #0544
brrrandiZZLe wrote:

You reminded me of something like that. I like to see skin options to switch to any skin themes on here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:48 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: GottaCatch'emAll
Shadow Derpy Hooves wrote:
brrrandiZZLe wrote:

You reminded me of something like that. I like to see skin options to switch to any skin themes on here.

yes that would be nice, for me everything will be Usagi themed or ecchi or both :mischief:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:27 am 
inactive
Trami's spam stopped once, and for all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:46 am 
boromonokli wrote:
Trami's spam stopped once, and for all.

Sir, who is "Trami"? Just curious.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next