Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Why can't we get any good extras from Viz?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:35 am 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
Why doesn't Viz give us any good extras like the laser disc extras, commercials, or even the Moon Pride music video on the Crystal set?

Post subject: Re: Why can't we get any good extras from Viz?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:41 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
NeoQueenSerenity18 wrote:
Why doesn't Viz give us any good extras like the laser disc extras, commercials, or even the Moon Pride music video on the Crystal set?

I think the extras are great myself I love the VA interviews I keep hoping Mr. Bosch will do one soon but I know he doesn't like doing interviews

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:12 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Why don't Western Anime DVD's give us any good extras on their DVD's?

Fixed it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:07 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

1. You asked this same question 5 months ago and also before that in other threads and got an answer each time.

http://www.sailormoonforum.com/viewtopi ... 22&t=28672
http://www.sailormoonforum.com/viewtopi ... 52#p823852

You can also add the new Japanese Blu-rays to that answer because Toei's not including anything for those releases either.

2. The Moon Pride music video was not released with Crystal but on a bonus Blu-ray Disc with the song's CD single.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00KSRCAO4
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/KIZM-295

As for why, same reason for no audio commentaries, different rights from different companies and in this case, they probably would have had to deal with Momoiro Clover Z's agency & record label, especially the latter since they were the ones who released it and may have rights to it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:33 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SailorWelshy wrote:

Fixed it.

Back in the day ADV gave us some pretty good extras. Princess Tutu in particular was packed with them. Mostly some lovely educational content about ballet and classical music created by the dubbers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:11 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Salem Saberhagen wrote:
SailorWelshy wrote:

Fixed it.

Back in the day ADV gave us some pretty good extras. Princess Tutu in particular was packed with them. Mostly some lovely educational content about ballet and classical music created by the dubbers.

I put their releases of Gatchaman & Macross as the best I had seen because of how loaded they were, the latter had commentaries & interviews, mostly with Mari Ijima (Lynn Minmay in both the Japanese & ADV redub), that made up big time for the weak dub that Macross had because they were good. Gatchaman had a lot too that was about both their redub (which was great) & Battle of the Planets and I was glad when most of them were brought back for the Sentai Blu-ray & DVD re-releases.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:44 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Back in the 90s, I owned a bootlegged VHS of Sailor Moon with subs and it had an interview with Naoko Takeuchi.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:28 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I've heard from an a certain American company that Toei "doesn't like extras". Apparently there's a lot of clearance involved, and they usually don't want to be bothered. Which is annoying, but it explains why even the Japanese releases for Sailor Moon are completely barebone. Though, you'd think with how big of a property it is, Toei could've done a little bit more. I'd be satisfied with character sketches, toy commercials, and some foreign dub clips.

While the extras on the Viz release sucks, it's not completely their fault. I do think they could be a bit more creative. The karaoke opening/ending extras on the Pioneer release were flippin' awesome, Viz should've really looked into that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:01 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Umino wrote:
While the extras on the Viz release sucks, it's not completely their fault. I do think they could be a bit more creative.

I'm a bit mixed on those extras, the interviews with the English voice cast and the Anime Expo 2014 panel I thought were pretty good, it's the fan-related videos and the other convention highlights which were not that special.

I do agree that they need to do better as the sets continue here. The Momoiro Clover Z interview for Crystal season 2 was a decent start (despite it being taped from Anime Expo 2015 where they were musical guests) but I say they should try to get Kotono Mitsuishi to come over since any interviews with her for both series would be good I think and maybe also attend some conventions like Animazement where the other 90s seiyuus usually attend.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:39 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
http://www.animeboston.com/news/article/636

We might have a future Japanese-related extra here since Toru Furuya will be attending Viz's Sailor Moon panel & Tuxedo Mask signing at Anime Boston.

EDIT: Just remembered, he's also going to be at this year's Anime Central in May and Viz usually has their panel there as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:25 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
To be honest, I feel like we're pretty lucky with the extras. I feel like with most other anime, you'd be lucky to get just the textless credits and art gallery and maybe a dub audio commentary. In comparison, I feel like we have a reasonable amount of interviews on the discs. Stuff like the Moon Pride music video you can watch on the official YouTube channel so I don't consider that to be a huge loss. I'd much rather have the character guide booklets we get with than something like those art cards you pay almost a $100 to Aniplex USA for.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:41 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Extra interview confirmed for SuperS

https://twitter.com/Sailor_Moon_NA/stat ... 0295405568
https://twitter.com/aonipro_kaigai/stat ... 8801220608

Quote:
Toru Furuya participated in a video interview w/@RobbieDaymond! It will be included in @VizMedia's BD box release of Sailor Moon SS. https://twitter.com/torushome/status/848698265587429376

Last edited by NJ_ on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:24 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Toru Furuya is such an an incredible actor! It's cool they're starting to get some interviews with the Japanese cast. It'd be great if they could get at least an interview with Mitsuishi too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:19 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Neon Genesis wrote:
It'd be great if they could get at least an interview with Mitsuishi too.

It's like I said elsewhere, if they were able to bring her in, they could tape two interviews, one for Stars and one for Crystal.

That's how they did it with the English cast in 2015 which are in both S & Crystal sets.