Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What gender should the Vizactors be for the Starlights?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:57 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
I hope female.

Post subject: Re: What gender should the Vizactors be for the Starlights?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:11 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Since the 90s dub VAs carry over to the Crystal dub and the Starlights are always female in the manga, I assume they'll go with female VAs for them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:31 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Female for both forms. The Starlights are really girls anyways contrary to what some fangirls wish.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:41 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
This is a very interesting thread botswanagirl84. 8)

I would say VIZ hire two separate voice actors. Male in human form and female in sailor form. :keke:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:22 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
I want Mona Marshall or Mari Devon to voice one of them.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:21 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sabrblade wrote:
I want Mona Marshall

But, can Mona Marshall sing?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:59 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
She can.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-10-15/ ... a-marshall

We stand in awe at that which cannot be seen - Rukia Kuchiki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:36 pm 
Luna
Luna
Females. Ones who can make convincing male voices.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:39 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
Sabrblade wrote:
I want Mona Marshall or Mari Devon to voice one of them.

I want this too both are wonderful VA's they both worked on Digimon together and ironically Mona voiced Izzy and Mari voiced Izzy's mom lol

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:55 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Other: Status: Feel good.
This situation kinda reminds me of Ranma 1/2: initially in the dub, both female and male forms of the main character were played by a female, but later on a male voice took over for his male form.

With this in mind I'd be perfectly fine with male and female voices for separate forms, or female for both. Just as long as it's done by them properly with good VA choices.

Join the Discord chatroom here: https://discord.gg/h33j9fX
and the Chatango room: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:50 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Lunatastic wrote:
This situation kinda reminds me of Ranma 1/2: initially in the dub, both female and male forms of the main character were played by a female, but later on a male voice took over for his male form.

yup same man who voiced Inuyasha Mr. Richard Ian Cox

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:28 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Do you think they will dub the songs? In mexican dub they use 2 different actors for each role.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:31 am 
Stella
Stella
I say get females who have more masculine voices.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:40 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
cuau_cg wrote:
Do you think they will dub the songs?
They dubbed "Eien no Melody" when Rei sang it in R, and made it a point to mention that all of the Senshi actresses can sing when they announced the actresses of the new dub. 'Twould only make sense for all of the vocally-sung Three Lights songs to get dubbed.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:05 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Cat
I would be fine with either convincing female voice actresses who can do feminine and masculine voices, or a male and female voice actor for each character.

Although the Starlights were never intended to be men by Naoko Takeuchi, there's no argument that they physically resemble men prior to transformation in the 90s anime. So two VOs would be fine with me. But if they ever get around to dubbing Crystal, that version should only have the female VOs, imo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:57 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Sabrblade wrote:
cuau_cg wrote:
They dubbed "Eien no Melody" when Rei sang it in R, and made it a point to mention that all of the Senshi actresses can sing when they announced the actresses of the new dub. 'Twould only make sense for all of the vocally-sung Three Lights songs to get dubbed.

original DiC dub they did yes but I could swear they just left Eien No Melody as is in the Viz dub

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:01 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
cuau_cg wrote:

original DiC dub they did yes but I could swear they just left Eien No Melody as is in the Viz dub
Then you need to rewatch the Viz version of that episode.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:08 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Female would make the most sense. Ignoring the magical genderswap vs regular crossdressing difference, the Three Lights had an androgynous feel to them in both the manga and anime before going full-on feminine when they transformed. If you listen to them in Japanese, you can easily hear a subtle but striking difference in their VA's performances between the different forms/personalities. Especially with Seiya and Yaten.

Plus, it would be easier for actors to get into their characters and give a better performance when they don't work with just half of said character's story. P-:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:58 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Weren't the Starlights voiced by women in the Japanese version of the 90s anime as well? If it wasn't an issue with the Japanese version, I don't think it would be for the dub.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:06 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Neon Genesis wrote:
Weren't the Starlights voiced by women in the Japanese version of the 90s anime as well?
Yes.

It's just that some dubs used both male and female voice actors for the roles (male for the Three Lights, female for the Star Lights), so it's a wonder if Viz will do what Japan did and keep the same female voices for both identities or use two voices of different gender for each instead.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:25 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Dark Lord
It was female in the Japanese dub, it should be female in the English dub.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:37 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Lord Mala wrote:
It was female in the Japanese dub, it should be female in the English dub.
At the same time, though, Viz has had a tendency to have male characters voiced by male actors even if they were voiced by females in the Japanese version (like Shingo).

And the Three Lights are presented as physically male in the anime, even if through magic.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:43 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Female would make more sense but I don't know depends on if they can find the right actress. I would rather have a guy and a girl voice actor split the role than hear one woman do a poor job of it. I feel like Uranus who is always a woman didn't even have a deep enough voice so I worry about them not picking right for Seiya. Someone mentioned Sarah Strange as Ranma already. Sarah Strange was completely awesome as boy type Ranma so if they could get someone who could do a job close to what she did for Ranma for Seiya then I would be very satisfied. There are not a whole lot of women playing post pubescent boys in North American anime dubs though so I think it'll be difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:38 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
blondibear_17 wrote:
Female would make more sense but I don't know depends on if they can find the right actress. I would rather have a guy and a girl voice actor split the role than hear one woman do a poor job of it. I feel like Uranus who is always a woman didn't even have a deep enough voice so I worry about them not picking right for Seiya. Someone mentioned Sarah Strange as Ranma already. Sarah Strange was completely awesome as boy type Ranma so if they could get someone who could do a job close to what she did for Ranma for Seiya then I would be very satisfied. There are not a whole lot of women playing post pubescent boys in North American anime dubs though so I think it'll be difficult.
Well, none of the Three Lights really sounded that much like post-pubescent boys in the original Japanese version anyway. They all sounded boyish, but still young-sounding rather than "manly".

Having heard Mona Marshall reprise her role of Izzy (Koushiro in the original) in the English dub of the first Digimon Adventure tri. movie, she sounded great as him even when considering that, by the time that that movie took place, Koushiro/Izzy was a high school student much like the Three Lights were. Her voice would be perfect for any one of the Three Lights. She can even sing.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:13 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
Other: 田中れいな押し。
Definitely female VAs who can do androgynous voices. The Starlights are meant to be female, anyway. They're going to dub Crystal too, and Crystal should (hopefully) keep the Starlights completely female like they're intended to be.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:35 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
They can be either male or female. As long as the voice sounds accurate and the voice acting has effort put into it,then it doesnt matter to me.They might have to use both males and females since the Starlights are males in civilian form, and women in Sailor Starlight form.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:45 am 
Stella
Stella
880yen wrote:
Definitely female VAs who can do androgynous voices. The Starlights are meant to be female, anyway. They're going to dub Crystal too, and Crystal should (hopefully) keep the Starlights completely female like they're intended to be.

I am sure Crystal will most likely keep the Starlights female in both forms. I doubt they would make such a grave error like they did in the 90s anime and they should use the same voice actors for both series.