Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: [US] Sailor Moon S Viz Media Dub/Blu-Ray
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:59 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
ChibiBoi wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Has the remastering improved at all?

No, it's the same quality as what you see on Hulu. I buy the BD's for the boxes and booklets though.

Hopefully Madman can improve on it.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:11 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
ChibiBoi wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Has the remastering improved at all?

No, it's the same quality as what you see on Hulu. I buy the BD's for the boxes and booklets though.

I did too, and I love them, along with the voice actor interviews, but I'm really starting to think they're not worth the extra cost. It's not like Ranma 1/2, which had beautiful chipboard boxsets/booklets AND a gorgeous HD remaster that made the price worth it. The boxes were also a lot prettier to look at than Sailor Moon's, which look very plain in comparison. I have a lot of Blu-rays in my collection with bad/underwhelming image quality, but they were all CHEAP. If I'm paying $50-$70 for 25 episodes of a TV series, it better be a huge upgrade from the DVDs. It's also the reason I didn't bother upgrading my DBZ DVDs (FUNi's widescreen BDs looked even worse than the orange bricks).

Madman's sets are unquestionably the best, but I'm not buying a multi-region DVD player JUST for Sailor Moon.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:30 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I've been buying the DVDs because I can't afford the Blu Rays but I would gladly buy them for the extras if I could. They're still a lot cheaper than the ADV boxsets I spent a ton of money way back in my high school days to support my favorite anime which had far worse video quality than Viz.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:51 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Madman's sets are unquestionably the best, but I'm not buying a multi-region DVD player JUST for Sailor Moon.

Buy a multi-region Blu-Ray player from Amazon. I got mine for $70 or $90 on Amazon and it upconverts my DVDs and it's SOOOO worth the investment. Then sell your old DVD player on eBay and see if you can make some of your money back.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:16 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
https://twitter.com/animetoday/status/8 ... 0263233536

Part 2 is now in-stock at Right Stuf.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:46 pm 
Luna
Luna
NJ_ wrote:
https://twitter.com/animetoday/status/875035240263233536

Part 2 is now in-stock at Right Stuf.

Does Amazon ever ship early? Amazon was like $10 cheaper plus free shipping so I pre-ordered through them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:22 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Is Viz not going to do a Moonlight Party for Part 2? It's only a few weeks away but I do still hope they release a few clips of the dub. I cant wait to hear what Hotaru sounds like.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:27 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
I really hope Hotaru 's Viz dub voice sounds as youthful and sweet as her Japanese voice, since her Cloverway dub voice sounded way too much like a squeaky-sounding adult.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:58 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sabrblade wrote:
I really hope Hotaru 's Viz dub voice sounds as youthful and sweet as her Japanese voice, since her Cloverway dub voice sounded way too much like a squeaky-sounding adult.

She'll sound like Madoka since she's played by Christine Marie Cabanos.

Similar to this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtXnJOTryLY

Last edited by SnowWolf on Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:54 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
SnowWolf wrote:

Similar to this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8S1eIKctaw
That's kind of a major spoiler for Madoka....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:58 am 
Luna
Luna
Neon Genesis wrote:
SnowWolf wrote:

Similar to this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtXnJOTryLY
That's kind of a major spoiler for Madoka....

OK, swapped it out for a different clip.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:46 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 4654735362

Reversible cover is the same as the Italian S part 2 set

Disc art: https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 7481627650

https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 6298696704

Extras:

-Keith Silverstein interview
-Erica Mendez interview
-Lauren Landa interview
-Christine Marie Cabanos interview
-Episode 119 video commentary with Erica Mendez, Lauren Landa & Christine Marie Cabanos (this is the extra that was recorded in April 2016)

I really hope that last one is watchable, dub commentaries are a mixed bag for me since a lot of them, specifically audio commentaries from FUNimation, are both boring and off-topic most of the time. ADV's commentaries back in the day were the best in comparison and Discotek's Lupin III commentaries are good too but with FUNi, good commentaries from them are very rare.

The last time I recall Viz doing one of these was an audio version for the first Bleach movie and it was okay but that was 9 years ago and I don't think they had done any since.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:54 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NJ_ wrote:
-Episode 119 video commentary with Erica Mendez, Lauren Landa & Christine Marie Cabanos (this is the extra that was recorded in April 2016)

I think it's funny they picked episode 119. All I can think about is the whole Toonami fiasco, which I'm sure none of the voice actors remember. P-:

Quote:
I really hope that last one is watchable, dub commentaries are a mixed bag for me since a lot of them, specifically audio commentaries from FUNimation, are both boring and off-topic most of the time. ADV's commentaries back in the day were the best in comparison and Discotek's Lupin III commentaries are good too but with FUNi, good commentaries from them are very rare.

The last time I recall Viz doing one of these was an audio version for the first Bleach movie and it was okay but that was 9 years ago and I don't think they had done any since.

You hit the nail on the head. ADV's commentaries always cracked me up, especially the one for Puni Puni Poemy. The only other English commentary I remember watching was the one for Petshop of Horrors, which was terrible. The crew had no idea what they were talking about, and you can tell they had never watched anime before...

Oh wait, not sure if it counts, but I did enjoy the commentary for Cybersix.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:33 am 
Planeta
Planeta
I enjoy some anime voice actor commentaries, but not all. I feel the same way about any commentary. I like the informative ones more than the silly ones. With anime voice actors (Japanese or English), there's so little for them to talk about, not enough to sustain 20 minutes, much less a feature film. At least on-camera actors have experiences from working on set for a couple months.

I like the One Piece commentaries the most. They tend to be pretty informative, and they change up the voice actor every time. I also enjoyed ADV's commentary of Slayers: The Motion Picture with Cynthia Martinez, Kelly Manison, and Matt Greenfield. It was done 6 years after the dub was recorded, so it was more of a retrospective, and they all had more experiences to draw from.

With Sailor Moon, the short interviews are all we need. I just wish they did one for all the main characters. Where's Kate Higgins' interview? O.o

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:43 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
How weird that the Part 2 set was released with no fanfare. No Moonlight Party, no clips on YouTube... They still haven't uploaded any of their S dub episodes for streaming. I feel like Viz has really been slacking.

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:52 pm 
Luna
Luna
I hope some clips get uploaded soon. I'd like to hear Hotaru as well as how Stephanie handled the final confrontation with Pharoah 90.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:03 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I like the One Piece commentaries the most. They tend to be pretty informative, and they change up the voice actor every time.

Did those get any better? I don't own the DVD sets anymore (stopped during the Skypiea arc) but the only One Piece commentary I listened to was from the first set and I recall the VAs there talking mostly about the DBZ dub.

Quote:
I just wish they did one for all the main characters. Where's Kate Higgins' interview? O.o

Yeah really, they even did one with Veronica Taylor who hasn't been at any of their recent panels either... :unsure:

SnowWolf wrote:
I hope some clips get uploaded soon. I'd like to hear Hotaru

https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 2246403072

Much better than her Madoka voice.

Here's this too:

https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 6318785536

Also for those wondering about Pluto...

https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 6672371712

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:15 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hotaru sounds pretty good, but I prefer Jennifer Gould. This new actress sounds more age appropriate, but Jennifer made Hotaru very endearing.

I still can't get over Chibiusa or Tomoe's voice in the new dub. God.

I'm curious to hear the Witches. I haven't even heard Eudial yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:20 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Umino wrote:
I'm curious to hear the Witches. I haven't even heard Eudial yet.

Nothing for Eudial but he posted a clip with Mimete.

https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 1459947520

If only it was the Twister scene.... : /

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:16 am 
Planeta
Planeta
For One Piece, I'm only going based off the first few. They did talk about other projects, and how the show was FUNi's biggest after DBZ, but there's a bit of insight into the characters as well.

It's weird how Viz doesn't seem to be hyping up Sailor Moon like they used to, but it has been 3 years now... Those Moonlight Parties kinda ran their course anyway. I wish they would still stream the dub though. Viz exhausted a lot of effort for the R movie, it's really strange that they just quietly unloaded the S dub onto home video with little fanfare. At this rate, we'd be lucky to see Stars by the end of next year. First we have to get through the dull SuperS season that few remember fondly.

I'm very impressed with what I hear of Christine Cabanos as Hotaru. I was expecting something more cutesy like Madoka or Mako (from Kill la Kill). Her voice isn't very memorable, but she has a good performance for the character. It works. She sounds good as Mistress 9 too, sorta like Sandy Fox as Black Lady. With that said, Jen Gould was one of the better voices in the original dub, and I'm not sure who's better. I don't think Jen voiced Mistress 9 though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:31 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Mistress 9 was voice by two unknowns in the original dub. Jennifer only voiced Hotaru, and Saturn which people don't realize.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:48 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
How did they call "Mugen Academy?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:17 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SignorinaTsukino wrote:
They call it "Mugen Academy", in this dub.

Anyway, I got dub clips of the Witches 5!

Mimete's Twister scene (NJ, you asked for it!): https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 2501641217

Eudial: https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 2676323328

Tellu: https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 2015869952

Viluy: https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 5828378624

Cyprine & Ptilol: https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 1471771648

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:24 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Ok, because in the Italian dub of Crystal it Was called "Infinity Academy"(and by consequence Mugenzu became "Infinity Area"). I don't understand this change, even Mediaset called it "Mugen Academy"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:34 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It's weird how Viz doesn't seem to be hyping up Sailor Moon like they used to, but it has been 3 years now... Those Moonlight Parties kinda ran their course anyway. I wish they would still stream the dub though. Viz exhausted a lot of effort for the R movie, it's really strange that they just quietly unloaded the S dub onto home video with little fanfare. At this rate, we'd be lucky to see Stars by the end of next year. First we have to get through the dull SuperS season that few remember fondly.

A lot of effort with the R movie theatrically yet they half-assed the disc release from that godawful cover to not subbing songs or the dub. :orly:

Viz has been slacking recently, we have yet to hear anything on a release date for Hunter x Hunter set 3 which has a lot of people worried because the last set came out in February and they already have release dates of other sets going up to September. Their handling of One Punch Man was okay except whoever mixed the dub into the discs screwed up with episode 11. The Jojo 2012 BDs looks so far so good with the only issue, albeit minor, being that they're using 4 discs with the first arc being split into 2 (WB for all the issues their DVD set has, handled that arc right by putting all 9 episodes on disc 1).

Back to S, they showed people clips of the dub at cons this year and yet they haven't posted any of them on their YouTube channel. It's weird because even for Part 1, they posted clips from that set the week before it's release.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:09 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Mercurius wrote:
SignorinaTsukino wrote:
They call it "Mugen Academy", in this dub.

Anyway, I got dub clips of the Witches 5!

Mimete's Twister scene (NJ, you asked for it!): https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 2501641217

Eudial: https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 2676323328

Tellu: https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 2015869952

Viluy: https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 5828378624

Cyprine & Ptilol: https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 1471771648

Snooze. None of the voices are bad, but they all sound exactly the same.

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:03 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Mercurius wrote:
They got their names pronounced right! They got their names pronounced RIGHT!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:06 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membership
How is the video quality? Any improvement over the first S blu ray?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:19 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BillyKonstantine wrote:
How is the video quality? Any improvement over the first S blu ray?

There's improvement over the Hulu versions of the episodes, as you can see in the clips I posted. There's still those blink-n-miss one-frame frozen pic/focused area movement spots. But other than that, it's a pretty good release...much better than Pioneer's video quality.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:11 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Mercurius wrote:

Seriously, what's with these new age of voice actors? Do they recruit people from fandub videos or something? Mimete doesn't sound bad, she just sounds like any generic female anime character. She doesn't have the cutesy touch of Mika Kanai, nor the sass of Catherine Disher.

Quote:

Eudial, however, sounds perfect. Probably the best villain voice to date for the Viz dub.

Quote:

She sounds exactly like Mimete.

Quote:

WOAH, she sounds a lot like her CWI counterpart. Only less vindictive. Any chance you could post clips of her using Mosaic Buster?

Quote:

Eh. Like with Mimete, they're not terrible but awfully static. Prefer the CWI voices.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next