Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:30 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: [US] Sailor Moon S Viz Media Dub/Blu-Ray
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:20 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
ChibiBoi wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
ChibiBoi wrote:
Also, I just noticed the preview for episode 128 they said "Sailor Moon Supers" like the Japanese version, instead of "Sailor Moon Super S"
Verbally in the dub, or textually in the subtitles?

Verbally in the dub.
Hooray! They pronounced "SuperS" correctly! :circles: :dance:

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:08 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membership
Just got around to watching the bluray ray of S part 2. The acting is good, but wow the video is like watching an animated jpeg. :sad:

Edit:
Looks like the third disc has better video quality than the first two. Can anyone else confirm?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:21 am 
Luna
Luna
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
BillyKonstantine wrote:
Just got around to watching the bluray ray of S part 2. The acting is good, but wow the video is like watching an animated jpeg. :sad:

Edit:
Looks like the third disc has better video quality than the first two. Can anyone else confirm?

I know it probably won't help you much, but disc 1 and 2 from the DVD set look fine to me. Well, for DVDs that is. The picture quality wasn't too pixelated or smeary. I'll see if disc 3 on the DVD looks better than 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:00 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I'm glad Viz seems to have checked to make sure all the disc menus are correct this time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:38 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
GTAB wrote:
BillyKonstantine wrote:

Edit:

I know it probably won't help you much, but disc 1 and 2 from the DVD set look fine to me. Well, for DVDs that is. The picture quality wasn't too pixelated or smeary. I'll see if disc 3 on the DVD looks better than 1 and 2.

You can't really see the frozen grain in the DVDs because the detail is lost. But on the Blu-Rays, it's really noticeable and really does look like gifs LOL also, the line art is loaded with stair stepping.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:40 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Other: Status: Feel good.
Freezing grain also is apparently an issue in the Hulu versions of the episodes. You'd think Viz would somewhat go in-depth on certain flaws...

Join the Discord chatroom here: https://discord.gg/h33j9fX
and the Chatango room: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:24 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Lunatastic wrote:
Freezing grain also is apparently an issue in the Hulu versions of the episodes. You'd think Viz would somewhat go in-depth on certain flaws...
Viz: "Flaws? In our perfect version? Surely you jest, darling. There are no flaws in our superbly high-quality video that we personally enhanced and improved ourselves. Tut tut, to think that our video quality is flawed. Hohoho, what a lark."

:|

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:12 pm 
Luna
Luna
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
ChibiBoi wrote:
GTAB wrote:
BillyKonstantine wrote:

Edit:

You can't really see the frozen grain in the DVDs because the detail is lost. But on the Blu-Rays, it's really noticeable and really does look like gifs LOL also, the line art is loaded with stair stepping.

Ah, now the frozen grain is something that I did notice. However, I thought that since I've seen it on other shows like Simpsons and King of the Hill, it was just built into the master tapes and decided to think nothing of it. If it's not on the tapes and it's the result of poor remastering, then that's a shame.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:22 am 
Luna
Luna
GTAB wrote:
Ah, now the frozen grain is something that I did notice. However, I thought that since I've seen it on other shows like Simpsons and King of the Hill, it was just built into the master tapes and decided to think nothing of it. If it's not on the tapes and it's the result of poor remastering, then that's a shame.

It has never been in any version of Sailor Moon ever in existence except Viz's releases. Viz will call these "collector's items" like they did with the pillarboxed set 1 DVDs LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:59 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
^ Speaking of which, does anyone know if Viz fixed Set 1's DVD set aspect ratio problems on any re-pressings?

I'm definitely leaning toward just getting the DVD versions from here on out, and at a reduced price at that. I have many Blu-rays in my collection with questionable/bad PQ, but they were dirt cheap. $60-$70 is way too much for these. Viz's Ranma sets were almost perfect, and cost $20-$30 less.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:23 pm 
Luna
Luna
How did the Pioneer S DVDs look compared to Viz's DVDs?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:52 pm 
Luna
Luna
GTAB wrote:
How did the Pioneer S DVDs look compared to Viz's DVDs?

The only upside to Viz's releases is the color is better and the Japanese audio track is better. Pioneer's Japanese audio tracks sounded like they were recorded in 1932, much like the Japanese track on Viz's Sailor Moon R movie release. Pioneer's DVDs were much crisper and had the line work intact.

Attachments:
IMG_2745.JPG
IMG_2745.JPG [ 67.72 KiB | Viewed 278 times ]
IMG_2742.JPG
IMG_2742.JPG [ 272.23 KiB | Viewed 278 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:20 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
ChibiBoi, based on your knowledge of these things and on how Toei's Sailor Moon Blu-rays look, how do you think they're going to handle the episodes in S?

I've been telling myself that while Toei's Blu-rays could certainly be much better, they're still better than the Viz Blu-rays. I can't wait to encode them.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:22 pm 
Luna
Luna
John wrote:
ChibiBoi, based on your knowledge of these things and on how Toei's Sailor Moon Blu-rays look, how do you think they're going to handle the episodes in S?

I've been telling myself that while Toei's Blu-rays could certainly be much better, they're still better than the Viz Blu-rays. I can't wait to encode them.

Toei's S Blu-Rays will most likely have the same quality upscales as the HD Japanese airings and their Blu-Rays of classic and R. No surprises there. Toei really only does re-scanning for their films.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14