Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon American Live-Action Cast Fantasy?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:34 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 16 months ago
inactive
I'm thinking... Why not just go with brand-new actors and actresses? That's what was done with PGSM over in Japan.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:05 am 
Sailor Pusheen Mew
Sailor Pusheen Mew
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
how about Taylor swift :ninja: :ohmy: :mischief: :lol: she kind too tall to play SM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:50 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I really haven't thought of who to cast, but the boyfriend suggested Saoirse Ronan as Sailor Venus.

Attachments:
Saoirse%20Ronan%20(4).jpg
Saoirse%20Ronan%20(4).jpg [ 28.91 KiB | Viewed 1968 times ]

We stand in awe at that which cannot be seen - Rukia Kuchiki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:41 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
Sailorcancer wrote:
Pamela Anderson as Sailor Venus :|
Kim Kardashian as Sailor Pluto :?
Miley Cyrus as Sailor Jupiter :dead: :eek:
Lindsay Lohan as Sailor Mars :neutral:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:28 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sabrblade wrote:
^ Yeah, cuz this person really looks like a fourteen-year-old.[/sarcasm] :roll: :cackle:

It'd probably be best for Hollywood to leave live action anime films alone, as ALL their previous attempts have been failures. :mischief:

She wouldnt be 14 anyway if they made a film. She would probably be 16 or above which would still work out fine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:24 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 9 months ago
inactive
No...they should be Japanese ! :evil:

らきこ http://rakikohime.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:11 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 41 months ago
inactive
Sailorcancer wrote:
Pamela Anderson as Sailor Venus
Kim Kardashian as Sailor Pluto
Miley Cyrus as Sailor Jupiter
Lindsay Lohan as Sailor Mars

Now that would be pretty terrifying. :ninja:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:46 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 10 months ago
inactive
Pamela Anderson as Sailor Venus
Kim Kardashian as Sailor Pluto
Miley Cyrus as Sailor Jupiter
Lindsay Lohan as Sailor Mars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:15 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
^ Yeah, cuz this person really looks like a fourteen-year-old.[/sarcasm] :roll: :cackle:

It'd probably be best for Hollywood to leave live action anime films alone, as ALL their previous attempts have been failures. :mischief:

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:26 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 41 months ago
inactive
Anybody watched Sucker Punch? With all the girls around and sailor outfit I got little Sailor Moon vibe to it. :mrgreen:
However it does not seem to be liked by critics like most of the girls action movies, but I liked it in a way and it has amazing special effects. =^_^=
The girls(hm five of them, what a coincidence :D )
I love the main actress she could pull out Usagi beautifully. :love:
http://oi51.tinypic.com/2922vqr.jpg
Maybe this is one of the ways how would hollywood Sailor Moon movie look like. :?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:39 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 9 months ago
inactive
HarukaMichiru wrote:
Hollywood butchered great classics like Yogi Bear...Smurfs...Flintstones..Dudley Do Right...Underdog...The Grinch...Cat in the Hat...and other beloved classics. I hate to see how badly Hollywood will butcher Sailor Moon.....

EXACTLY!
Hollywood is realy without idea for remaking everything who has been a succes by the past...also remaking French and foreigh films as American films...
I dislike the remakes always with bad script, just a modern view of a classic story...so it is realy.... an epic fail for each remakes

らきこ http://rakikohime.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:06 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 37 months ago
inactive
A Sailor Moon movie would be laughed at. ^_^'

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:21 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 18 months ago
inactive
Hmm, this has become rather interesting.

venusfan08, can you PM me the next time you're on? I like to talk to you personally. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:01 pm 
no, but i'm just thinking about sailor moon... and how it's teenage girls and some elements of the storyline is like a fairytale. if in the wrong hands, i can see it getting laughed at. if there was a movie team out there who had a lot of respect in the industry and considered everything about sailor moon, and did their history and research then it definitley has some potential. but do you see where im coming from?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:45 am 
Stella
Stella
Meow wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:
Meow wrote:
*Comes out of hiding*

There is absolutely no way in this day and age that a 'Sailor Moon' movie could come out and make any type of positive mark in Hollywood. The idea of five girls running around in a sailor outfit with redicious hair styles and colors is corny. They would have to drop most of the classic obvious elements of Sailor Moon. This means transformation sequence gone, fuku and hairstyles along with colors gone, talking cats gone, Usagi and Mamorus unrealistic romance gone.

For example, I seen a fake live-action trailer for Pokemon on Worldhiphop.com (an all urban hiphop website), that in my opinion would be a brilliant idea if made into an actual movie. Most of you have probably seen it. However Ash and the others had grown up, and pokemon battles had evolved into a more underground dog-fighting type battle to the death. In my opinion this storyline blended perfectly the classic pokemon story and characters with a more modern one. The only way I see a movie working is if they perfectly blend a modern reality with some Sailor Moon concepts and characters. Basically they can't make a full blown Sailor Moon movie, but one BASED on Sailor Moon.

As for casting people, Sailor Moon should hands down to a very cute multiracial/ethnic young girl. But this will never happen so who cares bahhhh

SOMEONE DELETE THE GUEST COMMENT ABOVE :)

Actually most people want such things as unike hairstyles, vibrant colors and flashy transformations. Most people are sick of these over realistic adaptations of games and anime series that take the magic and the fantasy out of it. A great example of the was the Chun Li movie made which took out the bright beautiful color of Street Fighter and made it to realistic. I vote for an American adaptation that is similar to PGSM.

Looks like you want a expensive movie soley for younger children, with your occasional otaku because no one else IMO would see that film.

No I would prefer a film that would have mature elements but definitely viewable by all age groups. While I did like PGSM I would take it to a more mature level then even that while keeping the magic, the beauty and the whimsy. From what I have seen people are tured of the dank, dark, ugly and hyper realistic stuff that is out now as evidenced by how poorly that Chun Li movie did. People want beauty, fun, romanticism and magic back in their movies. Plus you can have all of these and still have it to be mature and thought provoking. I hate how certain people think that things must be dank, dark, boring and common in order to be considered mature and intellectual.

venusfan08 wrote:
It's really hard to imagine them making a sailor moon film or show and have it be really good, because a lot of the elements are only appropriate for a manga/anime/live-action(in Japan)

If they did a movie they'd have to do it on the manga and sort of combind it into one flowing story. For transformations, they'd probably have a beautiful transformation like in the anime probably for the first time they transformed, then it'd just be really short the rest of the movie like it is in the manga.

A live action series would be similar to like a Smalleville, something directed to a female teenage audience.

I'm just thinking of X-Men and Spiderman and how succesful they were, though they were american comics.

And lastly, something that's strongly against the sailor moon idea, is that it centers around female characters, and unfortunately, a female dominated storyline wouldn't be successful in an action genre in america.

But the reason I did casting was to find actresses similar to the senshi, does anyone have a good one for Venus? cause I can't think of any.

A female dominated action genre not being successful? Someone has never heard of Kill Bill.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:57 am 
It's really hard to imagine them making a sailor moon film or show and have it be really good, because a lot of the elements are only appropriate for a manga/anime/live-action(in Japan)

If they did a movie they'd have to do it on the manga and sort of combind it into one flowing story. For transformations, they'd probably have a beautiful transformation like in the anime probably for the first time they transformed, then it'd just be really short the rest of the movie like it is in the manga.

A live action series would be similar to like a Smalleville, something directed to a female teenage audience.

I'm just thinking of X-Men and Spiderman and how succesful they were, though they were american comics.

And lastly, something that's strongly against the sailor moon idea, is that it centers around female characters, and unfortunately, a female dominated storyline wouldn't be successful in an action genre in america.

But the reason I did casting was to find actresses similar to the senshi, does anyone have a good one for Venus? cause I can't think of any.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:43 am 
inactive
MariaTenebre wrote:
Meow wrote:
*Comes out of hiding*

There is absolutely no way in this day and age that a 'Sailor Moon' movie could come out and make any type of positive mark in Hollywood. The idea of five girls running around in a sailor outfit with redicious hair styles and colors is corny. They would have to drop most of the classic obvious elements of Sailor Moon. This means transformation sequence gone, fuku and hairstyles along with colors gone, talking cats gone, Usagi and Mamorus unrealistic romance gone.

For example, I seen a fake live-action trailer for Pokemon on Worldhiphop.com (an all urban hiphop website), that in my opinion would be a brilliant idea if made into an actual movie. Most of you have probably seen it. However Ash and the others had grown up, and pokemon battles had evolved into a more underground dog-fighting type battle to the death. In my opinion this storyline blended perfectly the classic pokemon story and characters with a more modern one. The only way I see a movie working is if they perfectly blend a modern reality with some Sailor Moon concepts and characters. Basically they can't make a full blown Sailor Moon movie, but one BASED on Sailor Moon.

As for casting people, Sailor Moon should hands down to a very cute multiracial/ethnic young girl. But this will never happen so who cares bahhhh

Actually most people want such things as unike hairstyles, vibrant colors and flashy transformations. Most people are sick of these over realistic adaptations of games and anime series that take the magic and the fantasy out of it. A great example of the was the Chun Li movie made which took out the bright beautiful color of Street Fighter and made it to realistic. I vote for an American adaptation that is similar to PGSM.

Looks like you want a expensive movie soley for younger children, with your occasional otaku because no one else IMO would see that film.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:38 am 
Stella
Stella
Meow wrote:
*Comes out of hiding*

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:09 am 
Luna
Luna
If you have seen the trailer to Sucker Punch, a SM movie done is a similar fashion could very well work. Of course Amys hair would have to be brown and we wouldnt get any meatballs on Serenas head but it could still work. The outfits would change slightly but if not for the better.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:04 am 
inactive
*Comes out of hiding*

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:03 am 
*Comes out of hiding*

There is absolutely no way in this day and age that a 'Sailor Moon' movie could come out and make any type of positive mark in Hollywood. The idea of five girls running around in a sailor outfit with redicious hair styles and colors is corny. They would have to drop most of the classic obvious elements of Sailor Moon. This means transformation sequence gone, fuku and hairstyles along with colors gone, talking cats gone, Usagi and Mamorus unrealistic romance gone. P-:

As for casting people, Sailor Moon should hands down to a very cute multiracial/ethnic young girl. But this will never happen so who cares :| bahhhh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:56 pm 
Imagine if one of us had the power to create a sailor moon movie or show in america, the potential would be really good. BUT that's not what this discussion was about. Realisticly, it's about finding actresses that remind us of the senshi.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:09 pm 
Luna
Luna
Give the show/movie to the right person and they would make Sailor Moon so good, it would probably surpass the Japanese counterpart.

But here are some of my cast choices:

Katie Cassidy (Supernatural/Melrose Place) -- Mina/Venus

Jessica Stroup (90210) -- Lita/Jupiter

Alexis Bledel (Girlmore Girls) -- Amy/Mercury
or
Shay Mitchell (Pretty Little Liars) -- Amy/Mercury

Naya Rivera (Glee) -- Rei/Mars

Candice Accola (Vampire Diaries) -- Serena/Moon
or
Laura Vandervoot (Smallville/V) -- Serena/Moon

Ian Harding (Pretty Little Liars) -- Darien.

When it comes to hollywood, people in their late 20s/early 30s play teens all the time, and the Sailor Scouts would probably be sophmores at the beginning of a show.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:58 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Andras wrote:
moonprism wrote:
Uhh it's incredibly racist to cast white people as asians.

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't think any of the main characters looks very Asian. From eye, hair and skin color to the shape of their faces, they look pretty white to me.
Quote:

Which might be yet one more reason why I don't get the live action series. There's just too much of a disconnect between what the charactes look like there and in the cartoon.
You could say the exact same thing about nearly every anime that centers around Japanese persons and is set in Japan. It isn't that hard to tell that most/all anime tend to use an unrealistic art style. They don't look Japanese because they don't look realistic.

As for what PGSM did, that was actually an improvement on what the anime and manga did. PGSM actually went the extra mile of making their civilian and Senshi forms look distinctly different form each other, thus making the secret identities even more hidden (though, they did do to the stupid move of having them call each other by their civilian names even when in Senshi form :roll: ).

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:40 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 52 months ago
inactive
I just would like to point out to people that in both America and Japan, most movies/shows that are made are either just plain average or downright bad. It is easy to look at the past or another country and say that they make better media because you have the best of what they have offered cherry picked out for you. For example, someone might listen to an oldies channel and talk about how people don't know how to make good music any more. They fail to realize that modern stations have to play new songs not knowing if they will be good or bad and the rankings don't always reflect how good it is. While, an oldies station has the luxury of picking the best of the time period. When foreign media is brought over we don't see everything that every person tuning in would see. We have the worse, same old, same old stuff filtered out.

And regarding that Hollywood can't make a good anime movie, may I remind you that for the longest time people thought Hollywood couldn't make a good superhero movie, but many people would say that both Batman (1989) and Batman Begins are very good movies. I'm sure there are probably at least a few people on here that like the first X-Men and Spider Man movies too.

As for changing character's race, it is a non-issue. The Senshi could have just as easily been reincarnated in mainland Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia or the Americas. As long as the inner core of the character remains the same, then it should not matter what the race of the actor or actress is. In fact, just take it to be an alternate universe where they happened to just be born in another place. The only character that would really need to remain Japanese to stay recognizably similar is Rei.

Also, a good movie script does not need to accurately compress a whole season of an anime/arc of a manga into a two hour format. What it needs to do is its own take on the world. Maintain the same feel of the original, but do it on its own terms. Trying to directly adapt either the anime or manga is a recipe for disaster. A two hour movie should not try to be a season long story arc, nor should it try to be a full manga arc. Yes, it is taking a chance and a risk with a beloved property, but that is how a metaseries can continue to grow and evolve for years to come, even after the creator is gone (though of course I hope nothing happes to Ms. Naoko).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:33 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 64 months ago
inactive
moonprism wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't think any of the main characters looks very Asian. From eye, hair and skin color to the shape of their faces, they look pretty white to me.

Which might be yet one more reason why I don't get the live action series. There's just too much of a disconnect between what the charactes look like there and in the cartoon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:27 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 65 months ago
inactive
Hollywood butchered great classics like Yogi Bear...Smurfs...Flintstones..Dudley Do Right...Underdog...The Grinch...Cat in the Hat...and other beloved classics. I hate to see how badly Hollywood will butcher Sailor Moon.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:25 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 35 months ago
inactive

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:22 pm 
Ya they'd have to pick actresses who weren't known, and really fit the age. They'd have to go all out for casting. And the girls who wanted to be the sailors couldn't just watch the show, they'd have to really do their research on the history because these characters aren't just one-dimensional.

But the point of this was to kinda see what actresses are similar to the sailors.
Here's what I've come up with so far:

Sailor Moon - THE HARDEST DECISION, and I'm not that happy with it but I chose Amanda Seyfried. It seems to be the most popular decision. I personally lover her, she can play goofy and serious, and with those eyes she looks like an anime character. But picking an unknown actress would be better because there are sailor moon fans who probably already don't like her. Plus she's like ten years older than Sailor Moon's suppose to be, and her voice isn't high enough. http://www.celebrity-pictures.ca/Celebr ... 135597.jpg

Sailor Mercury - a young Alexis Bledel. She's almost 30 :S and I don't really like the way she talks, but this picture of her just seems so Ami to me: http://www.celebrity-pictures.ca/Celebr ... edel-3.JPG

Sailor Mars - a young Kristin Kreuk. Again, almost 30 but this picture is from when she was 19. To me she really looks like how I would picture Rei to look like in real life. Her voice also reminds me of the English voice of Rei. http://www.maoxian.com/images/kristinkreuk3.jpg

Sailor Jupiter - Emma Stone. The only one I'm actually really happy about. There was something about Sailor Jupiter in the english version that made me wanna be best friends with her, and that's exactly what Emma Stone is like too. Like I said, she's tall, has the brown/red hair colour, and has a deep voice similar to the English Jupiter. http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos ... 00-300.jpg

Sailor Venus - No one. Moon, Mercury and Mars, I'm not 100% happy about but I settled on those three actresses. Sailor Venus (if you can't tell by my name) is my favourite, and there was no actress I found beautiful enough to play her. She's suppose to be the sailor of love and beauty. I guess no one lives up to my standards of Venus, ahaha.

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:34 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 18 months ago
inactive
Forgot to mention these two:

Queen Serenity - Sophia Myles(Originally I was thinking of Tilda Swinton, but I think she may be a bit too old now)
Miss Haruna - Kirstin Dunst(Quite honestly, if you compare her to when she's playing M.J. in Spiderman to Miss Haruna, they actually look alike)