Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:38 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:29 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
Posts: 414
http://www.towers-entertainment.com/sailormoon

I've translated some highlights of the sections, since most of it is a rehash of what we already know about the series and the characters.

There is also an exclusive audio clip with the original voice of Sailor Moon in the Mexican dub (Patricia Acevedo). She notes that Sailor Moon is a special dub, because it was translated directly from Japanese, as opposed to the other shows they get (Naruto, Bleach, Pokemon), where they translate from the English versions.

She also mentioned that they never recieved the "Ami chan no hatsukoi" movie, which is why they never dubbed it. She would have liked to, but for some reason they never got it from Toei.

There will be 8 "Talk Boxes" with 23 episodes. Each set will have the appropriate voice actor recording special messages. Not sure what they'll do about Jupiter's box though, since the voice actor passed away in 1998. :(

here are some interesting bits of info from the site:
Quote:
Personajes – Characters
Serena – Sailor Moon
Likes to: eat and play video games
Hates: Pop quizzes at school
Aside from being a scatterbrained girl who cries easily, Serena Tsukino is very romantic and is always ready to help her friends.

Ami – Sailor Mercury
Likes to: Read books and play chess
Hates: Love Letters
Amy is a true genius; she is very shy, and studies most of the time to become a great doctor like her mother. Before meeting Serena and becoming Sailor Mercury, she was a very lonely girl and had no friends. She lives with her mother only; her father works at another place.

Rei - Sailor Mars
Likes: Oracles
Hates: Noisy people, negative energy, and sometimes Serena
Rei Hino is a beautiful and temperamental priestess from Hikawa Shrine, where she lives with her grandfather. She is very committed as Sailor Mars, and sometimes this provokes conflicts with Serena. Aside from appearing to be different, Rei is a girl like the rest, and can always be counted upon.

Lita – Sailor Jupiter
Likes to: Cook
Hates: Airplanes
Family: None – she has lived alone ever since her parents died in an airplane accident
Lita Kino is tall, strong, and very sweet. People are intimidated by her height, and for this reason she tends to be alone. She frequently remembers her ex-boyfriend every time she meets a new boy, and falls for them easily. She dreams of marrying and having a family; this is why she loves to cook and do housework. As Sailor Jupiter, she is the strongest of all the scouts.

Mina – Sailor Venus
Likes: Cute boys and volleyball
Hates: Mummies and police officers
Mina is funny, forgetful, and scatterbrained like Serena. She is also a romantic, and falls in love frequently. Her dream is to become a famous idol. She began fighting as Sailor Venus one year before the other scouts.

Luna
Luna is a talking cat who provides Serena with the powers to become Sailor Moon. Her task is to give orders and help Sailor Moon fight. She comes from an ancient kingdom on the moon named the Silver Millennium; therefore, she can talk, has human intelligence, and other abnormal abilities.

Tuxedo Mask
Friend or enemy? A mysterious hero who wears a tuxedo, top hat, and a mask that makes girls who meet him swoon. He always appears at just the right moment, throwing roses to protect Sailor Moon when she is in trouble. He is in search of the Silver Crystal to find out his past.

DVD Talk Box:
The first season of Sailor Moon is presented in a deluxe edition with metallic casing, and also includes an exclusive audio message from Serena. Sailor Moon Volume 1 (Talk Box Moon) contains the first 23 episodes of the phenomenal series on 4 DVDs
-Restored audio and video
-Original Spanish dub
-Spanish and Japanese Language
-Spanish Subtitles
-Audio character information commentary by the original voice of Sailor Moon
-Episode previews never-seen-before, dubbed in Spanish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:35 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 07, 2009
Posts: 40750
Gender: Male
The frontpage looks nice. :)

_________________
 
Image

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:49 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 33 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Posts: 1026
Location: New Zealand
Nice website :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:17 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 51 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Apr 26, 2011
Posts: 10315
Location: "Dai Shocker's Hell Festival."
Cool. :)

_________________
Image
"So...shall we begin the festival?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:40 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 33 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Posts: 1026
Location: New Zealand
These international releases are so beautiful and fancy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:51 am 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jun 30, 2010
Posts: 944
Vilhem wrote:
There is also an exclusive audio clip with the original voice of Sailor Moon in the Mexican dub (Patricia Acevedo). She notes that Sailor Moon is a special dub, because it was translated directly from Japanese, as opposed to the other shows they get (Naruto, Bleach, Pokemon), where they translate from the English versions.


Then why did it use NA dub names?

_________________
We Want Serena - Because Serena is Sailor Moon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:47 am 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 09, 2011
Posts: 3205
Location: Richmond, VA, United States
Awesome! I love the Spanish version of Sailor Moon! You could tell all the voice actors were having fun, and were very passionate about the show! Plus it was very accurate! Patricia Acevedo was also the voice director in addition to voicing Serena/Sailor Moon (kinda how Tracey Moore voiced Serena/Sailor Moon and directed the English version until she became overtly stressed about a dozen episodes in and quit the show)! She is one of my favorite Spanish voice actors!

Is the show being rebroadcast in Latin America, or is it just being re-released to DVD?

@Nang Toei probably gave them access to their English names in case they wanted to use them, since the Japanese names are very "foreign" sounding, they probably thought the English would work better for a Latin American audience ("Serena" is technically a Spanish name afterall!). Besides, that site uses the Japanese spellings for Ami and Rei! I also believe they used the Japanese names for Haruka and Michiru instead of Amara and Michelle since those were actually dubbed into Spanish before the English. The Spanish version wasn't based on the English version though (aside from some of the names!). If it was, then all the DiC edits would've carried over! :P Unfortunately this does happen often with pretty much everything 4Kids gets where the international versions are based off of their version, and the edits get carried over all across the world (and shows like Tokyo Mew Mew don't get completed in half of it's licensed territories because 4Kids abruptly stopped production)!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:01 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 33 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: May 07, 2009
Posts: 495
Location: Sunflower Garden
Good start!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:12 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
Posts: 414
Nangbaby wrote:
Vilhem wrote:
There is also an exclusive audio clip with the original voice of Sailor Moon in the Mexican dub (Patricia Acevedo). She notes that Sailor Moon is a special dub, because it was translated directly from Japanese, as opposed to the other shows they get (Naruto, Bleach, Pokemon), where they translate from the English versions.


Then why did it use NA dub names?


Because the first season was under a different director, who used the NA names, but retained the Japanese script. So it made for an interesting version. Most of the cast had "English" sounding names:

Ms. Haruna was called Monica McKenzie, Umino was Kelvin, Yuuichiro was Nicolas etc

But even with the English names, most of them retained the Japanese last name, i.e.: Molly Osaka, Andrew Furuhata

In Sailor Moon R, Patricia Acevedo took over directing, and this is where the direct translation from the Japanese started. New characters retained their original names, even the characters of the day. Haruka was Haruka, Michiru was Michiru, Hotaru was Hotaru etc

I don't know if they're rebroadcasting it; I'm assuming not though, since there hasn't been any word. I'd imagine it'll happen though, since it happened when Saint Seiya had a revival a few years ago. They brought that back, dubbed new episodes, and threw them on TV with the old episodes =^_^=


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:48 pm 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jun 30, 2010
Posts: 944
Interesting. Maybe there's a tiny glimmer of hope that the new NA dub will follow the same pattern ("English names/accurate, uncut script")...

...come on, let me dream.

_________________
We Want Serena - Because Serena is Sailor Moon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:16 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 29 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Oct 05, 2008
Posts: 3549
Location: The interwebz
Nangbaby wrote:
Interesting. Maybe there's a tiny glimmer of hope that the new NA dub will follow the same pattern ("English names/accurate, uncut script")...

...come on, let me dream.


If the script is completely unaltered except for making the grammar direct and forward (as English is supposed to be), I won't gripe about re-using the DiC dub names...

*grumble*

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:26 am 
Sailor Pusheen Mew
Sailor Pusheen Mew
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Oct 24, 2010
Posts: 11688
Location: On The Falcon; with Han Solo
Gender: female
Yen-sama wrote:
Nangbaby wrote:
Interesting. Maybe there's a tiny glimmer of hope that the new NA dub will follow the same pattern ("English names/accurate, uncut script")...

...come on, let me dream.


If the script is completely unaltered except for making the grammar direct and forward (as English is supposed to be), I won't gripe about re-using the DiC dub names...

*grumble*


Plus the new Managa use the oringal names, so I'm sure they'll stick to that.

_________________
Image
The Original Bun-headed Space Princess


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:09 am 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 09, 2011
Posts: 3205
Location: Richmond, VA, United States
Nangbaby wrote:
Interesting. Maybe there's a tiny glimmer of hope that the new NA dub will follow the same pattern ("English names/accurate, uncut script")...

...come on, let me dream.


Sorry to burst your bubble, but how exactly would that be a glimmer of hope? That uncut Spanish dub with English names was done back in the 90s! How would that be applicable to today?!

@Vilhelm Ack! And America STILL doesn't have that franchise! DiC[k] licensed it for Cartoon Network about 7 years ago, but that fell by the wayside. They sub-licensed the DVD rights for both Saint Seiya and Sailor Moon to ADV Films, who gave Saint Seiya a new uncut English dub for all 78? episodes DiC licensed to them (and were going to do more episodes when DiC's license expired, but ADV's financial situation, or lack there of, put an end to those plans). They only did that because the DiC dub failed epically on Cartoon Network and in DVD sales, only went up to episode 30-ish, and they thought a more faithful one would be more of a hit with audiences, and more economic for their release of the Japanese version. They were right! But sales weren't the reason they stopped production!
They didn't re-dub Sailor Moon because the DiC dub was much more of a hit on TV and on home video and DVD, so they felt no reason to re-dub it! They just released the two sub-only boxsets so that the "purists" could have their show (the first one sold well too! The second one... not so much)!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:50 am 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jun 30, 2010
Posts: 944
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Nangbaby wrote:
Interesting. Maybe there's a tiny glimmer of hope that the new NA dub will follow the same pattern ("English names/accurate, uncut script")...

...come on, let me dream.


Sorry to burst your bubble, but how exactly would that be a glimmer of hope? That uncut Spanish dub with English names was done back in the 90s! How would that be applicable to today?!


Yeah, I know it's extremely unlikely (especially with the manga re-release using the original names), but I have to hope. It's all I have at this point.

While the Mexican dub is from the 90's, it's still being distributed instead of redubbing the series to use original names. While the Mexican dub didn't "die" the same way the English-language dub did, they could have redubbed the series anyway to streamline the product completely and break completely from the very loose connections with the old dub. That would indicate that there is a preference to keep things the same as they were released originally in those markets.

Also important is that Mexico, while a separate country from the US, borders it and is on the North American continent. Given the number of Spanish-speaking people in the US who could import (or even watch) this version, it would make sense to have the English version mirror their localization. Just as Japanese has made inroads in the lexicon of North American kids, so has Mexican Spanish done the same. Since others mentioned, kids can pick up on foreign names and culture fairly easy, they would be able to pick up on the Spanish language Sailor Moon fairly quickly. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't like it, but I would accept it.

The Mexican dub does allow for a nifty compromise. A redub would be like the Cloverway uncut version (which I did not like), with the names people loved from their childhood, but with fewer errors. It would be an "improvement" over the English original dub rather than being a new show entirely. I know I'm gasping for straws, but I have to keep trying or keep hoping, or else I might as well lay down and die.

_________________
We Want Serena - Because Serena is Sailor Moon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:35 am 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 09, 2011
Posts: 3205
Location: Richmond, VA, United States
I honestly think that you're making a really big deal out of this. Relax! You're acting like your life depends on the audio to your (I'm assuming) favorite TV show!

The Mexican version is still visually uncut, like pretty much every language version around the world. Yeah, they had edits, but nothing was done visually. The Canadian version has LOTS of visual edits! It didn't cover 41 episodes of the series! The French version is running into similar trouble: it also ended early, covering only seasons 1-4, just like the English version. I'm almost 99.9% sure they aren't doing much redubbing because it's easier and cheaper to just use the original track, especially since they didn't cut anything out. The English dub didn't cover the whole series, so I'm sure Toei is being forced to make a compromise.

Since the manga is doing very well despite it using the Japanese names, I doubt most people are really getting very uptight about it! Besides, some names are mostly the same anyway! Mina is pretty much the same (it's her nickname in the Japanese version), and Raye is also the same despite a spelling change. Amy is probably the closest to it's original Japanese name without actually being the same. Luna and Artemis also got to keep their names, same with most of the villains. The only major characters with total name changes are Moon, Jupiter, and Tuxedo Mask!

The uncut Cloverway/Optimum version of S and SuperS is 85% the same. The only differences are some minor cuts, scene transitions (which I liked better than the DiC ones; less cheesy), and the opening/closing! In the movies, the edited versions had it's music changed to random DiC cues, but it still wasn't very noticeable! The uncut versions are largely the same viewing experience. If the first two seasons were dubbed in similar fashion, even with the same voice actors, and heck, even the script and even a few name changes, I wouldn't have minded it as much! My main problem with Sailor Moon's English dub is the editing, recasts, and the fact that it didn't even finish the series (nor did it have a real conclusion).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:36 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2009
Posts: 5835
Location: Wallington, NJ
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The uncut Cloverway/Optimum version of S and SuperS is 85% the same. The only differences are some minor cuts, scene transitions (which I liked better than the DiC ones; less cheesy), and the opening/closing!


The changed openings & endings are only on the edited TV & VHS versions while the uncut VHS & DVD versions had them left alone...except for the S movie where it's ending was blocked by a black screen while the song was playing. :x

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:19 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
Posts: 414
Update on the site:

There is a pre-sale event going on. They are providing a "Paquete Especial" (special Package). This package sells for 580 pesos (around 48 USD) and includes:

Talk Box Moon DVD Set
Exclusive Cup
Membership to the Official Sailor Moon Club

This is limited to 300, so if you're interested, you need to send them your name and address to sailormoon@capital8.com.mx and capital8anime@gmail.com, so that they can quote you on appropriate shipping charges (separate from the 580 pesos price)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:00 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 09, 2011
Posts: 3205
Location: Richmond, VA, United States
NJ_ wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The uncut Cloverway/Optimum version of S and SuperS is 85% the same. The only differences are some minor cuts, scene transitions (which I liked better than the DiC ones; less cheesy), and the opening/closing!


The changed openings & endings are only on the edited TV & VHS versions while the uncut VHS & DVD versions had them left alone...except for the S movie where it's ending was blocked by a black screen while the song was playing. :x


I knew that. I was just comparing the uncut English dub of S and SuperS to the edited version. My main problem with the Cloverway credits are the careless typos to Liza Balkan and Katie Griffin's names ("Lisa" Balkan and "Kathie" Griffin! >:()

I would love to buy the special edition of this set, but I'd rather these go to the Latin American fans! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:44 pm 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jun 30, 2010
Posts: 944
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I honestly think that you're making a really big deal out of this. Relax! You're acting like your life depends on the audio to your (I'm assuming) favorite TV show!


Well, the audio of a television show is a very vital portion of it. I mean, if no one cared about the audio of Sailor Moon, there'd be no need to actually dub it. ;) Seriously, I fell in love with Sailor Moon because of how it sounded and how it looked. Sound has an amplified meaning in animation as it brings the meaning of the images to life as importantly as the images themselves.

This is important to me, because I have seen this happen to countless shows that I've loved less than Sailor Moon. A televised program is enjoyable in its own right. The producers retool the show to a new audience because of struggling ratings, and consequently the ratings and the quality of the program dwindle to nothing. At least in those cases, though, since the shows died, the door is closed. There's no choice but for everyone to move on.

However, the Sailor Moon fandom did not do this. Instead of letting the show stay dead, there's a fan campaign to resurrect it in the image they want it to be. It's like bringing a dear, departed relative as shambling, bloodthirsty walking corpse. It's desecrating the memory of your favorite show.

It bothers me that somehow, on a message board that is explicitly for the purpose of discussing the franchise of Sailor Moon, of which the dubbed anime is a part, that my defense of it seen as invalid. You know how some fans of the original version felt when they saw the dub for the first time; that is what will happen to me. Unlike that group, there's no hope for me to have a redub to bring it closer to my standards or to get the import of the version I want. The version of Sailor Moon I fell in love with is not merely dead but obliterated.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The Mexican version is still visually uncut, like pretty much every language version around the world. Yeah, they had edits, but nothing was done visually. The Canadian version has LOTS of visual edits! It didn't cover 41 episodes of the series! The French version is running into similar trouble: it also ended early, covering only seasons 1-4, just like the English version. I'm almost 99.9% sure they aren't doing much redubbing because it's easier and cheaper to just use the original track, especially since they didn't cut anything out. The English dub didn't cover the whole series, so I'm sure Toei is being forced to make a compromise.


If Toei licenses a dub, that is the official version of the anime for that market. Why should Toei have to compromise anything? Isn't the anime their product? Can't they demand it be localized however they want it to be, or let the dubbing company make that decision if they want to? If they don't want to release Stars, they shouldn't release it.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Since the manga is doing very well despite it using the Japanese names, I doubt most people are really getting very uptight about it!


The problem with this argument is that it supposes the manga audience is the same as the anime audience. Yeah, there are dub fans who have purchased and liked the manga, but let's not kid ourselves -- the manga is aimed at an older audience (you know, those old dub fans) and more importantly, you have to buy or seek out the manga. It's not as if it just comes on TV the way Sailor Moon did and people were suckered into it.

That being said, I don't mind the original names being used in the manga. I'd rather the original names be used for the manga, and the Westernized names for the anime -- the two are so completely different I can't see the characters even sharing the same "ordinary" names. By all means, please distinguish them.

I'm sure there's somebody else out there who doesn't like the idea of Japanese names being used in the English-language anime. They're more likely to stop watching rather than complain the way I do, though.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Besides, some names are mostly the same anyway! Mina is pretty much the same (it's her nickname in the Japanese version), and Raye is also the same despite a spelling change. Amy is probably the closest to it's original Japanese name without actually being the same. Luna and Artemis also got to keep their names, same with most of the villains. The only major characters with total name changes are Moon, Jupiter, and Tuxedo Mask!


The names of the leading characters change the feel of the show. Serena and Darien makes sense to my ear. It's portmanteau friendly ("Darena," "Serien") "Mamorusagi" doesn't have the same ring to it. The sounds of "Serena" and "Darien" complement each other in a way that "Usagi" and "Mamoru" simply don't.

Plus, it's easier for me to distinguish between similar Western names than even dissimilar Japanese names. It took me some time to get Minako/Makoto straight, and you even see English-speaking fans of the original anime accidentally switch the names at times in writing. Lita and Mina are still similar names, but the consonants at least differ completely.

This is also made worse by the fact, Minako was addressed as that regularly, and it's not pronounced like "Mina" with a "ko" at the end, but almost completely differently. "Amy" and "Ami" are pronounced differently as well. The only main character who retains her pronunciation is Raye, because its monosyllabic. Even in the cases where the sames would be Romanized similarly to English names, the actual sounds are so different that it is an entirely different name.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The uncut Cloverway/Optimum version of S and SuperS is 85% the same. The only differences are some minor cuts, scene transitions (which I liked better than the DiC ones; less cheesy), and the opening/closing! In the movies, the edited versions had it's music changed to random DiC cues, but it still wasn't very noticeable! The uncut versions are largely the same viewing experience. If the first two seasons were dubbed in similar fashion, even with the same voice actors, and heck, even the script and even a few name changes, I wouldn't have minded it as much!


I'm the opposite here. I prefer the DiC dub because of its edits. While I don't believe every change it made was a beneficial one, overall, I liked the flow and sound of those episodes a lot better than those of the original version.

By the way, was there even an edited opening for the TV-aired versions of the episodes? I could have sworn that when airing S and Super S on Cartoon Network, they cut out the opening theme and went straight into the episodes. However, it's been that long since I've seen Sailor Moon on TV.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
My main problem with Sailor Moon's English dub is the editing, recasts, and the fact that it didn't even finish the series (nor did it have a real conclusion).


Recasts are a part of television, theater, and films. While I don't like some of them, they are an inevitable part of a production that lasted for years that was stalled at several points. Plus, even with the most faithful redub, the studio will never be able to replicate the essence of the original vocally, as those episodes will be dubbed in a far shorter period of time than they were originally. What was done over years will be compressed to a year or less. Even in long-running animated series such as the Simpsons there are acting changes on the part of the performers, and the same is true of anime, even when there is pressure to keep the performances the same. With a new dub of Sailor Moon, there won't be the same evolution in vocals as there was in the original version. Consequently, the dubbing company will be changing an inconstant performance with discrete, disjointed evolution for a continuous, but likely constant (non-variable) one.

The end of SuperS anime provides a nice conclusion, brining the whole series to a close. Instead of killing the evil queen as Sailor Moon did in the first season, she leaves her enemy resigned to her own fate of self-deluded solitude. You don't have to worry about extra-solar system warriors, star seeds, Phages, or any of that junk. While there is the nagging matter of when Rini would return home, it's not as if the original anime handled that plot element that well, anyway.

_________________
We Want Serena - Because Serena is Sailor Moon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:37 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 09, 2011
Posts: 3205
Location: Richmond, VA, United States
1st: Let me rephrase that first line you quoted: my point was, You're acting like your whole life depends on a simple TV show! I understand that you're a huge fan like all of us here, but you're the only one here where I get the impression that your whole life revolves around this one television series. What's going to happen when a redub is announced? God forbid your whole way of life takes a turn for the worse! Who knows? You might like the new English dub!

2nd: Actually, the only reason Stars didn't come to the states was because they were about to pull the franchise from the market for whatever reason. If they didn't want to license the series outside of Japan, then why was it dubbed into pretty much every major language in the world except for English and French? Susan Roman says that there was word that Stars was most likely coming, but never came to fruition. The Mixx/Tokyopop editions of the manga also covered Stars! Notice that the anime hasn't been re-licensed for an English or a French release yet. It's likely because they want them to cover the whole series, and are considering allowing redubs for both languages (plus the English dub was heavily edited, thus making it inconvenient for a release with the remastered footage that's being exclusively licensed).
The new broadcast in Israel (with the new Hebrew dub) is even covering Stars!

3rd: Pretty much everyone I know who reads the Sailor Moon manga, watches the anime too! ;)

4th: That's all your opinion. But I admit, I applaud DiC for sticking with SOME connection to the original names instead of giving them all generic American names like Victoria, Sarah, Carrie, Dana and Blue( :? )! They weren't like 4Kids' slaughtering of Tokyo Mew Mew with names like Zoey, Corina, Bridget, Kiki, and Renee! >_>

5th: The episodes were largely the same as far as pace goes (except for "Day of Destiny" which naturally moved at a much faster pace than most), all DiC did was cut a bunch of scenes. You're in the minority when it comes to PREFERRING an edited version of an uncut. I'm not talking about the English dub as a whole, I'm talking about the edits! I've seen many people who like the English dub but would've preferred it to be uncut. Most people realize that you're getting the full story watching it uncut. I don't mind the light editing-for-TV that Cloverway did, but when it gets to the point where you get almost a completely different show, we have a problem! The English dub is BY FAR the most edited dub of Sailor Moon in the world. Clearly no other country found the need to make all those unnecessary changes!

And yes, Cloverway did make custom openings for the S, SuperS, and Movies. They weren't shown on Toonami, but they were shown on the brief KidsWB broadcast of the series, in Australia, and were on the edited VHS release.

6th: It's hard to connect with an anime character if their voice actor changes. All 3 English interpretations of Sailor Moon are like completely different characters. It's more like the whole character changed along with the voice. Yes, in the Japanese version, Sailor Moon's voice was changed for a few key episodes, and yes, I would've rather Kotono voice her in the grand Queen Beryl finale, but at least Kae sounded a lot like Kotono. You don't notice the different voice unless you're thinking about it. But I admit, the fight with Beryl would've been more emotionally powerful and satisfying with Kotono doing the voice, but Kae did go on to voice her daughter after Kotono returned, so it all worked out I guess. It would've been worse if the actress filling in for Sailor Moon just disappeared after her stint in the role. I did like that Terri voiced Sailor Moon in the English version of those episodes. The whole episode's emotion was so different since the Sailor Moon we've known for a while was defeating Queen Beryl, not a substitute. It's one of the few elements of the English dub that I thought improved upon from the Japanese version, but then again, it's not their fault Kotono was hospitalized and unable to voice her character in those episodes.

Recasts are rare in television except in Soap Operas. Even then, the audience can get pissed when their favorite character is recast. Thus, recasts in Soaps have become more rare. Still, the entire English cast of Sailor Moon, minus Jupiter, Luna, and Artemis (and Mars only had a 17 episode substitute), were recast. I can understand maybe for one character early or late in the series, but ALL of them at different various points? No thanks! Plus some of the recasts sounded NOTHING like their predecessors (Tuxedo Mask's 3 voice actors were probably the exception).

The English dub had no real conclusion. It just... ended (and Susan Roman even admitted this in a recent interview). It's not satisfying. It's just like the ending to the last two story arcs. Queen Nehelenia was a typical "arc" villain. It's a good story arc ending, but not a good series ending. Stars was much more satisfying. It did a good job wrapping pretty much everything up. I always cry whenever I hear Usagi say "I am the warrior, I am the pretty soldier... Sailor Moon!" (or something to that effect) at the very end of the series as she's kissing Mamoru!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:09 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 37 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Apr 07, 2011
Posts: 3863
Location: Petting Taiga-sama
I'll pass on the Mexican Spanish version. Although I can speak Spanish fluently, shipping to/from Mexico is almost as much of a pain as shipping to/from Italy. It's more of a hassle than what it's worth.

I'm sorry, but the SuperS season never was a good 'end' for the anime. It doesn't conclude anything for me - there's a villain out there that sitting somewhere in space. Pegasus is gone, so Sailor Moon can't use her seasonal weapon.

_________________
Please visit my Sailor Moon Gallery! Small Lady/Pegasus cels added in February!


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:06 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
Posts: 414
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
2nd: Actually, the only reason Stars didn't come to the states was because they were about to pull the franchise from the market for whatever reason. If they didn't want to license the series outside of Japan, then why was it dubbed into pretty much every major language in the world except for English and French? Susan Roman says that there was word that Stars was most likely coming, but never came to fruition. The Mixx/Tokyopop editions of the manga also covered Stars! Notice that the anime hasn't been re-licensed for an English or a French release yet. It's likely because they want them to cover the whole series, and are considering allowing redubs for both languages (plus the English dub was heavily edited, thus making it inconvenient for a release with the remastered footage that's being exclusively licensed).


Actually, I'm not sure that's the reason it hasn't been re-licensed. Towers Entertainment, who's publishing the official dvd sets in Mexico, has said they don't have the rights to Sailor Stars yet, but that they're working to acquire them.

I kinda have to agree though: the Japanese version really does nothing for me. When I think of (English) Sailor Moon, I think back to those early DiC episodes I'd obsess over haha. I kind of liked the DiC names because of their uniqueness (instead of being cheesy/corny American names).

I have an old friend that loved the DiC version; when we gave her copies of the live action Sailor Moon show, she had trouble with the names, and could never quite get used to them. She'd say things like "Oh!! I wish Sere...um usagi? would tell Darie---I mean Mamoru? she liked him!"

She later named her daughter Lita :D :D

If there is a redub of the English version, I wouldn't be opposed to them using the NA names. I mean..its what people remember. The manga had a sort of different approach, since by the time it was released, the people who were more obsessed with Sailor Moon were already aware of the edits and such. But given that whoever licenses Sailor Moon here will likely do a general release, to play on the nostalgia feel over anything else. And to reach out to those people, the NA names would make the most sense. Plus, I would really not like to hear someone destroy the pronunciation of said Japanese names: Yoo-sagi!! May-cow-to etc L O L It's happened before, and its sure to happen again :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:08 am 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 09, 2011
Posts: 3205
Location: Richmond, VA, United States
There are many theories explaining why Stars was never licensed. Since the American run on TV ended only a couple of years before the series went into moratorium, it was probably just simply not up for license at the time.

American voice actors are actually very good at pronouncing Japanese names. But I don't think they have to be PERFECT since when Japanese pronounce American names, they don't pronounce them properly, much worse than our handling of their names! I'd rather they just use the Japanese names since people who prefer the American names will probably just prefer the old English dub altogether. There are people who like things to be accurate to the original version, but don't want to watch the series subtitled. That's pretty much my case. I prefer anime be the same experience as it's original form, and I like to experience the WHOLE series (if you're watching the DiC version, you're technically not watching the whole series), but I don't like reading subtitles, or listening to strange-sounding Japanese voice actors (but it's probably not strange to them, but we're not used to the style). I still watch the English version of Sailor Moon by default (if I just want to watch a random episode, etc just for fun), but I want that to change since I like watching the series with everything intact (plus watching the current English dub has it's own fun in that there are scenes where the acting is SO BAD, it can actually make you laugh! The ending to the R movie comes to mind). I've seen most of the Japanese version, but it's kinda hard to relax with a TV show if you're reading it! It kinda goes against the point of watching TV!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:00 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 42 months ago
inactive
Joined: Jan 02, 2008
Posts: 40
Soooooo, is anyone getting it? I know I will. :mrgreen:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:24 am 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jun 30, 2010
Posts: 944
PurpleWarrior13, my life is pretty sucky these days, and what little I watch tends to get cancelled. The soap operas I watch are dying, and with the exception of True Blood, I don't watch much scripted TV any more. If a redub is announced, then I'm probably going to give up on the fandom and will refuse to buy any merchandise. Trust me, unless a dub meets at least some of my requirements (note, not all, but SOME) I won't enjoy it, and all of you have made sure that nothing from my list will survive.

I think another reason why Stars was not licensed because it wouldn't be clear how to handle the Starlights. The gender-bending aspects of those characters was unusual even in Japan at the time, and it would be something that could not be covered up. I'm not saying that the reason why Stars wasn't licensed, but having children see men voluntarily turn into women would be hard to explain to the moral guardians.

Yes, people who read the manga have watched the anime, but there are plenty of people who read the manga who hate the anime and want nothing to do with it. There are also people who, like Vilhem mentioned, still associated the dub names with the characters.

Regarding preferring an edited version of an uncut work, the thing here isn't that the problem. As you mentioned, the DiC version of Sailor Moon is a completely different animal from the original version. This isn't merely like a movie that was trimmed and had deleted scenes, but the names, audio, and even storyline were even different. As a consequence, the original version of Sailor Moon is a different continuity than that of the dub (And if you think the US version of Sailor Moon is bad, you should see the Korean version, as it made more visual edits and cut more out than DiC did.).

What I meant about the recasts was that given the nature of Sailor Moon's dubbing, it's a miracle they were able to keep the series in tact cast-wise as much as they did. It's not really the actors' fault that the license bounced from one company to another or that it took years to complete. There was never a commitment to dub all 200 episodes at once or even in stages.

While the SuperS ending isn't perfect, it's a lot better than that of Stars. A lot of people on this board have complained that while the Stars finale is e-p-i-c in terms of scope, it also is lacking as a conclusion because the viewer doesn't really get to say "goodbye" to the characters (except for the Starlights). The SuperS ending isn't perfect, but at least it has the main characters (and not the Johnny-come-Latelies) in it.

If you want to watch the uncut series without having to read subtitles, there's a third option: learn Japanese. That version will always be available. An English dub may or may not be available.

Cutiebunny wrote:
I'm sorry, but the SuperS season never was a good 'end' for the anime. It doesn't conclude anything for me - there's a villain out there that sitting somewhere in space. Pegasus is gone, so Sailor Moon can't use her seasonal weapon.


The unseen villain isn't even mentioned or hinted at at the end of SuperS, but only at the beginning of Stars (which is part of what made Nehellenia's redemption so unsatisfying). Nehellenia's fate is clear; she's staying in the mirror forever. As for Sailor Moon not being able to use her weapon, why should she? We know she's going to be Queen and will end up using her Silver Crystal and eventually becoming Neo-Queen Serenity. If there were a fifth season, that's what it should be about.

_________________
We Want Serena - Because Serena is Sailor Moon


Last edited by Nangbaby on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:23 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 37 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Apr 07, 2011
Posts: 3863
Location: Petting Taiga-sama
Nangbaby wrote:
The unseen villain isn't even mentioned or hinted at at the end of SuperS, but only at the beginning of Stars (which is part of what made Nehellenia's redemption so unsatisfying). Nehellenia's fate is clear; she's staying in the mirror forever. As for Sailor Moon not being able to use her weapon, why should she? We know she's going to be Queen and will end up using her Silver Crystal and eventually becoming Neo-Queen Serenity. If there were a fifth season, that's what it should be about.


I wasn't even thinking of Galaxia or Chaos. They're last season villains as far as I'm concerned. I was talking about the un-defeated Nehelenia. At the end of SuperS, she's in a mirror, floating somewhere near Earth. Usagi and Chibiusa can't use their seasonal weapons because Pegasus is MIA. You could argue that they could both use the ginzuishou of the present and future a la R season final, but for most MOTD, there's no way they'd be able to power up an attack of that significance prior to an attack landing on them. And even then, the stress on their bodies from constantly using the crystal would probably kill them.

I don't think Usagi was shown to ever be able to successfully use it without either fainting/dying or requiring a huge amount of energy from other beings (end of R season, S movie) prior to the Sailorstars season. It's not until the Sailorstars season that Usagi finally is able to control the ginzuishou alone. IMO, this is where a huge part of the religious influences incorporated in the series come into play, but, I think we already have had topics regarding this, so, I'm going to *try* to avoid it here. But, in short, the Sailorstars season shows Usagi as no longer needing a seasonal weapon to fight as the purity of her heart is her greatest weapon.

Meh, either way, it's not something to seriously ponder. It's a form of entertainment, that's all.

_________________
Please visit my Sailor Moon Gallery! Small Lady/Pegasus cels added in February!


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:45 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
Posts: 414
DJ Tomoe wrote:
Soooooo, is anyone getting it? I know I will. :mrgreen:


I'm ordering as well :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:36 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2009
Posts: 5835
Location: Wallington, NJ
DJ Tomoe wrote:
Soooooo, is anyone getting it? I know I will. :mrgreen:


Vilhem wrote:
I'm ordering as well :D


That's good to know, could you both let us know when you get your copies? I have a few questions i would like to ask that's related to the set.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:21 pm 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jun 30, 2010
Posts: 944
Cutiebunny wrote:
I wasn't even thinking of Galaxia or Chaos. They're last season villains as far as I'm concerned. I was talking about the un-defeated Nehelenia. At the end of SuperS, she's in a mirror, floating somewhere near Earth. Usagi and Chibiusa can't use their seasonal weapons because Pegasus is MIA. You could argue that they could both use the ginzuishou of the present and future a la R season final, but for most MOTD, there's no way they'd be able to power up an attack of that significance prior to an attack landing on them. And even then, the stress on their bodies from constantly using the crystal would probably kill them.


Except Nehellenia is not going to attack again. That woman was after one thing: eternal youth.

She can't keep her youth outside of the mirror. Her youth and good looks are what was most important to her, not having friends, having love, or even power in of itself. She wanted to be young and beautiful forever. She could not obtain this goal. Thus, she would rather live an a mirror, deluding herself (kinda like me) than face the reality that even she would grow old. She'd have her eternal youth, even at the cost of eternal solitude.

That's what made the reasons behind her "return" so suspect. Stars changed the Queen's motivations. Rather than her valuing vanity in of itself, she embraced it to mask her loneliness. While this reasoning made a nice path for redemption, it was completely out of character from what we saw before. This was a woman who turned her own people into monsters so she could stay young and didn't have any qualms about doing that to others. SuperS Nehellenia would not have wanted revenge. She just wanted to be beautiful.

_________________
We Want Serena - Because Serena is Sailor Moon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Mexican DVD official page launched!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:33 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 37 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Apr 07, 2011
Posts: 3863
Location: Petting Taiga-sama
Nangbaby wrote:

Except Nehellenia is not going to attack again. That woman was after one thing: eternal youth.

That's what made the reasons behind her "return" so suspect. Stars changed the Queen's motivations. Rather than her valuing vanity in of itself, she embraced it to mask her loneliness. While this reasoning made a nice path for redemption, it was completely out of character from what we saw before. This was a woman who turned her own people into monsters so she could stay young and didn't have any qualms about doing that to others. SuperS Nehellenia would not have wanted revenge. She just wanted to be beautiful.


I agree with you on part of your first sentence - Nehelenia wants eternal youth. However, I disagree on the part of her not attacking again. Nehelenia is pissed. Who took away her chance to be beautiful, forever, without having to live in the mirror? As far as she's concerned, that person is Sailor Moon. Sailor Moon robbed Nehelenia of her dream. And while that dream was a selfish dream that relied on locking the people of Earth into a neverending nightmare, Nehelenia is oblivious to that. She feels that it is Sailor Moon that is the villain, not herself. Therefore, at least to me, it makes perfect sense that she comes back in the Sailorstars season. She feels that if she can't have her dream, then neither should Usagi have her dream. And that's why she goes about systematically destroying whatever Usagi holds dear.

Galaxia also employs a similar strategy too. IMO, she's the best villain in the series when it comes to outright psychological attacks (though Mistress 9 was a close second).

_________________
Please visit my Sailor Moon Gallery! Small Lady/Pegasus cels added in February!


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Moonies browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB

contact forum administrator