* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Why is Sailor Moon the "guardian of mystery?"
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:55 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 28 months ago
inactive
In the newest volume of the manga, after Death Phantom is defeated, Neo Queen Serenity grants all the senshi new powers. She names each one with their title, like "Sailor Mars, Gaurdian of War; Sailor Mercury, Guardian of Wisdom," etc. When she gets to Sailor Moon, she calls her the "Guardian of Mystery." I was sure that this was a mistake on Flanagan's part, but lo and behold, the original Japanese really does say mystery. The word is shinpi 神秘 and as far I know, there is only one meaning for it.

Tokyopop translated this segment as "Soldier of Sanctity," which certainly makes more sense to me, but is not accurate.

So why is Sailor Moon the Guardian of Mystery?

Post subject: Re: Why is Sailor Moon the "guardian of mystery?"
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:21 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
Could be a call back to when humanity was first interested in space, the moon was one of the first targets, and was always a mystery for many years.

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:00 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I was going through the volume to check for smudging after the panic, and that made me raise my eyebrow too.

Furthermore, wasn't Jupiter the Guardian of Protection? Redundant much? I'm sure that flowed better back when Senshi was translated as "Soldier".

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:40 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sneakers Shingo wrote:

Furthermore, wasn't Jupiter the Guardian of Protection? Redundant much? I'm sure that flowed better back when Senshi was translated as "Soldier".

I never understood why people refer to her as the soldier of protection. All four of them are soldiers of protection.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:11 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
flockapowpow wrote:
Sneakers Shingo wrote:

I never understood why people refer to her as the soldier of protection. All four of them are soldiers of protection.

See the 5th point of the Trivia section in her WikiMoon article: :)

http://wikimoon.org/index.php?title=Makoto_Kino#Trivia

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:48 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Moon isn't mysterious, but her powers are, so I always assumed that was the reason.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:09 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
1dbad wrote:
Moon isn't mysterious, but her powers are, so I always assumed that was the reason.

Yeah, the Silver Crystal is mysterious, as reflected in its full name. :)

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:39 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 37 months ago
inactive
Saturn has more 'mysterious' powers if you ask me.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:50 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
SailorBecky wrote:

And Pluto has always got that uber cool mysterious aura. :cool:

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:00 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 8 months ago
inactive
SailorBecky wrote:

What mystery is there? Saturn blows s*** up, and that's all we need to know about that. I mean, there's a reason why Queen Serenity didn't want her actually fighting: too much collateral to worry about.

I'm just glad the modern-day Usagi is able to look past the whole "walking WMD" aspect and treat Hotaru as a person who just wants to help.

Last edited by Maetch on Wed May 16, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:57 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 49 months ago
inactive
The whole "soldier/guardian of mystery" thing is probably mythology-related since Takeuchi uses a lot of mythology in the series.

Sailor Mercury is the guardian of wisdom because Hermes/Mercury is a god of wisdom(one of his lesser domains), despite it being more closely associated with Athena/Minerva. It'd be more accurate to call her a guardian of intellect since intelligence is a related yet larger domain that Hermes/Mercury embodies(of which wisdom can be considered a subset), but it doesn't have the same ring to it.

Sailor Mars as the guardian of war is fairly obvious.

Sailor Jupiter as the guardian of protection because Zeus/Jupiter has several epithets that refer to him as a protector god. He's been regarded as a protector of strangers, suppliants, freedom, oaths, property, a protector from evil, and a god of defense, among many other things.

Sailor Venus is also obvious as the Soldier of Love.

Sailor Moon as the guardian of mystery is interesting because the Moon is regarded as mysterious, but most Moon goddesses in Greco-Roman myth weren't considered as such with the exception of Hecate(who I associate with Nehalennia). However, it's almost culturally universal that the night is filled with mysterious things, so maybe conflating the Moon with the night is what brings about the mystery element for Sailor Moon. OR maybe it's because there are so many Moon goddesses that the Moon's identity is a mystery.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:31 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Maetch wrote:
SailorBecky wrote:

What mystery is there? Saturn blows s*** up, and that's all we need to know about that. I mean, there's a reason why Queen Serenity didn't want her actually fighting: too much collateral to worry about.

I think she'd only be "used" for really desperate situations & as a last resort. :)

Raven Nightshade wrote:
Sailor Mercury is the guardian of wisdom because Hermes/Mercury is a god of wisdom(one of his lesser domains), despite it being more closely associated with Athena/Minerva. It'd be more accurate to call her a guardian of intellect since intelligence is a related yet larger domain that Hermes/Mercury embodies(of which wisdom can be considered a subset), but it doesn't have the same ring to it.

It's really translated as "intellect" - see the 2nd paragraph of her WikiMoon article:

http://wikimoon.org/index.php?title=Sailor_Mercury

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:47 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 18 months ago
inactive
SailorHell, I really liked your article. Great work once again. Thank you for the time and effort you put into those comparisons every time a volume is released.

I also knew that using the term "guardian" instead of senshi would have its problems. I must admit though that my thinking is biased because I have never liked the term "guardian".

I fail to see how SM is the guardian of mystery. I love her to death but the whole story is about her and from her point of view (at least most of the time). Other than a little bit in StarS, she has always been open about her feelings and has gotten herself into trouble for saying whatever was on her mind.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:39 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 28 months ago
inactive
Healing_Sailor_Saturn wrote:
SailorHell, I really liked your article. Great work once again. Thank you for the time and effort you put into those comparisons every time a volume is released.

Thank you very much for your kind words!

I get that the Moon is mysterious and the Ginzuishou is...kind of mysterious, but those seem like pretty weak connections. The word "mystery" would never cross my mind when describing Sailor Moon; I don't think anything about her has ever been mysterious. Even her secret identity as the moon princess was something anyone could have figured out in about 2 chapters.

I'd choose a title like "purity."

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:39 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 49 months ago
inactive
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Raven Nightshade wrote:

It's really translated as "intellect" - see the 2nd paragraph of her WikiMoon article:

http://wikimoon.org/index.php?title=Sailor_Mercury

That's what I figure it should have been in the first place, but in NQS's article it's back to being wisdom, and then both TokyoPop and Kodansha use wisdom instead of intellect. So, the fandom's going to see it as Soldier of Wisdom.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:52 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
1dbad wrote:

I think you have something there. I've been studying Japanese feminists and one of the most influential feminist essays is titled "In the Beginning, Woman was the Sun." In the essay, Raicho Hiratsuka talks about shining bright like the sun aka women's empowerment. She also talks about spiritual fulfillment---that spiritual focus helps us realize "mystery."

So, Naoko is probably referring attaining a higher sense of being. In other words, Sailor Moon is the Goddess of Spiritual Fulfillment--which is why Solider of Sanctity makes a bit more sense instead of Soldier of Mystery.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:05 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
It would be helpful to know what word was used in the Japanese text that got translated as "mystery" to see if it has the same usage, but the English word mystery can also refer to a sacrament, a religious truth, or a (secret) religious ritual/cult. Given that the following arc wherein Sailor Moon acts as the "Guardian of Mystery" deals heavily with religious symbolism/imagery, that may be the reasoning?

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:20 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Cordelia LeFay wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
1dbad wrote:

I think you have something there. I've been studying Japanese feminists and one of the most influential feminist essays is titled "In the Beginning, Woman was the Sun." In the essay, Raicho Hiratsuka talks about shining bright like the sun aka women's empowerment. She also talks about spiritual fulfillment---that spiritual focus helps us realize "mystery."

So, Naoko is probably referring attaining a higher sense of being. In other words, Sailor Moon is the Goddess of Spiritual Fulfillment--which is why Solider of Sanctity makes a bit more sense instead of Soldier of Mystery.
MementoNepenthe wrote:
It would be helpful to know what word was used in the Japanese text that got translated as "mystery" to see if it has the same usage, but the English word mystery can also refer to a sacrament, a religious truth, or a (secret) religious ritual/cult. Given that the following arc wherein Sailor Moon acts as the "Guardian of Mystery" deals heavily with religious symbolism/imagery, that may be the reasoning?

I think both of you have got a point there: the word in the context of the show has always got a spiritual, religious feel to me too, not just meaning something unknown/incomprehensible. :)

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:59 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Kuiper Belt
Could it be because Sailor Moon never existed in those times. To me she is the mysterious guardian of love and Justice. It could also tie into how she used to wear a mask. Even the silver Crystal is mysterious.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:19 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
Could it be because Sailor Moon never existed in those times. To me she is the mysterious guardian of love and Justice. It could also tie into how she used to wear a mask. Even the silver Crystal is mysterious.

This is a double post!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:23 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SailorHell wrote:
In the newest volume of the manga, after Death Phantom is defeated, Neo Queen Serenity grants all the senshi new powers. She names each one with their title, like "Sailor Mars, Gaurdian of War; Sailor Mercury, Guardian of Wisdom," etc. When she gets to Sailor Moon, she calls her the "Guardian of Mystery." I was sure that this was a mistake on Flanagan's part, but lo and behold, the original Japanese really does say mystery. The word is shinpi 神秘 and as far I know, there is only one meaning for it.

Tokyopop translated this segment as "Soldier of Sanctity," which certainly makes more sense to me, but is not accurate.

So why is Sailor Moon the Guardian of Mystery?

Here's part of the "In the beginning, woman was the sun" essay in Japanese. The word "shinpi" is used. I bolded the line that uses the same "mystery" kanji.

併し私として此真夏の日盛の中から生まれた「青鞜」が極熱をもよく熱殺するだけ、それだけ猛烈な熱誠を有つていると云ふことを見逃すものではない。
熱誠!熱誠!私共は只これによるのだ。
熱性とは祈祷力である。意志の力である。禅定力である、神道力である。云ひ換へれば精神集注力である。
神秘に通ずる唯一の門を精神集注と云ふ。(中略)
私は精神集中の只中に天才を求めやうと思ふ。
天才とは神秘そのものである。真正の人である。(以下略)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:18 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ "神" literally means "god," whereas "秘" literally means "secret." So "神秘" does incorporate both the "god-like" & "secretive" elements in its meaning. :)

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:16 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Because she’s mysterious as the dark side of the moon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:19 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Because her powers were made by sticking together the leftover bits of everybody else's flavors at the star seed factory.