Besides the fact that I personally think they're annoying, and it didn't work when I tried to disable them in my control panel...
1) They're pointless. It's one thing to sensor out certain swear words (still annoying, but I can see how it's necessary, as this is a Sailor Moon forum and we probably attract some young users). It's another thing to censor words like "e p i c," "c o f f e e," "l o l," "s c o u t," "o m g," and possibly others I haven't discovered yet. I mean...why those specific words? They're not offensive, they're not "bad," and they're just...well, pointless. Especially the "c o f f e e" filter.
2) The words they're replaced with are stupid. Scyphate? Rantipole? Cookie? Cup of joe? What? Why? ......Why?
3) They look silly in context. It's weird that we have a thread about "cup of joe" in which everyone talks about "cup of joe." I know that the phrase is some kind of euphemism for c o f f e e. That's not the issue. The issue is that there's a thread all about a word we can't use, in which everyone uses said word and it gets filtered, and the thread (if I recall) was started by a mod/admin! WHAT'S THE POINT THEN. And not to mention (though I'm mentioning it), the grammar is off with this example. You don't say, "I'd love some cup of joe!" You say, "I'd love a cup of joe!" The "c o f f e e" becomes the "joe," and the cup is just the cup, not the c o f f e e itself. But this is just me being nitpicky. >_>
4) They drive away potential users. Before I started posting here, I was lurking for a few years, and I was always put off by how everyone was talking about rantipoles, puppies, and using the phrase "cor blimey" all the time. I thought it was some weird Genvid forum lingo and I was totally confused. I had no idea what was going on. It was only until I started posting here that I realized a word filter thing was going on.
5) This ties in with #4 about driving away users, but honestly, the filter makes the board seem like it's run by a bunch of pretentious snobs. I'm worried because I *know* that this isn't the case. This board is run by good people. But the filter makes it seem like the people here think themselves as "too good" for simple Internet phrases like l o l and o m g. In addition, the filter for the word "s c o u t" comes across as dub-hating, which can be alienating for some of our members who are forced to space their words out, censor themselves, use a different name than what they're used to, or be content with posting about "Sailor Cookies" all the time. I mean, really guys? Really?
6) Not to start sounding like a "Team Quality" member (never thought they were of much quality, though I digress), but the concept of a word filter (for things beyond swear words) makes this place seem very oppressive. I get that this isn't a country with a government here. I understand how it's just a message board. But it contributes to an oppressive atmosphere is all I'm saying.
Like I said, I tried to disable the filter on my own just for my own user experience, and it hasn't worked. Maybe I need to try again. But the point is, even if I remove it for my own board experience, that doesn't change the fact that OTHER people will still see the filtered words and the issues themselves won't be solved.
This is a very minor problem, I think, l o l. But I'd like to bring it up because I feel like a lot of people have an opinion on it, and I want for there to be a safe place where we can express these opinions.
In short: I feel that the word filters for things beyond swear words are utterly pointless and they do more harm than good.
Anyone else? Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive."
- The Dalai Lama
Last edited by John on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.