* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sailor Moon Animation Question
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:38 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 8 months ago
inactive
Ok so I was wondering, in Sailor Moon, when the animation artists draw the animation cels and color them, how do they manage to paint/color within the lines?

I tried coloring/painting a drawing of Sailor Moon I did with acrylic paint, but it's SO hard to stay within the lines. The paint overlaps the black outlines all the time. Also how do the artists manage to paint small details? For me, it's so frustrating. Sailor Moon's collar stripes and earrings are so small so the paint literally goes everywhere.

For those of you that know a lot about animation and cels, please help! :love:

Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Animation Question
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:06 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
I think a forum member named Cutie Bunny specializes in something like this. Im sure if you message her she can tell you or wait for her to post. I dont know if anyone else knows though exactly.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:57 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 14 months ago
inactive
I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the lines were inked on the top of the cels, and then they flipped them over to paint the color on the reverse.

Check out this thread, and note the fourth post:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.406671-Any-collectors-of-animation-cels-here

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:30 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
Quote:
I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the lines were inked on the top of the cels, and then they flipped them over to paint the color on the reverse.

Exactly. :) I collect animation cels. The lines are xeroxed from the pencil sketch onto one side of the cel, and the paint is applied on the reverse side. Details, like eyes or earrings, are often (I've noticed) painted first so that larger paint areas don't cover them up by accident.

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:44 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
Sounds so time consuming. This is what I call something you have to love and be dedicated to. It's like writing a novel series or something. It takes a lot of sweat and tears but with a team of people, I'm sure things are easier. Cool

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:56 pm 
☽ Crescent Moonie
Fokkusu wrote:
Quote:

Exactly. :) I collect animation cels. The lines are xeroxed from the pencil sketch onto one side of the cel, and the paint is applied on the reverse side. Details, like eyes or earrings, are often (I've noticed) painted first so that larger paint areas don't cover them up by accident.

Hope that helps!

Or you use a gnu image manipulator program and use layers to keep things smooth.

(shouldn't details be painted last so they aren't covered? I'm just curious)

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:38 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 27 months ago
inactive
Boro wrote:
Fokkusu wrote:
Quote:

Hope that helps!

Or you use a gnu image manipulator program and use layers to keep things smooth.

sorry but what is a gnu image manipulator?

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:41 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 40 months ago
inactive
accountrx3 wrote:
Boro wrote:
Fokkusu wrote:

Hope that helps!

sorry but what is a gnu image manipulator?

A good example would be GIMP, which pretty much stands for just that. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:36 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Boro wrote:

Ordinarily yes, but with cells youre coming from behind, so you do it backwards.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:02 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 25 months ago
inactive
This is also why digital won out over drawing stuff by hand.

I love hand-drawn stuff, but the industry required something faster/more efficient.