Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
 Post subject: Re: DiC vs. Viz
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:39 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
It’s a matter of personal preference as hard as I am on the Viz dub I’ll admit my reverence for the Canadian dub is partially based on nostalgia and partially because it gets unfairly maligned by purist. In truth both have mixed voice work. DiC more so “Did they really think that was a good choice? (looking at you Ann, Catzy’s 2nd voice, and Sailor Pluto’s R voice) and Viz with it trying to be too hard to be subdued

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:45 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I actually love Ann's voice. I don't *mind* Pluto's voice in R, but a deeper voice would have been preferable.

I do agree with you re: Katzi. I'm pretty sure Mary Long took over the role and I don't think that worked. I wish I knew why they recast. Katzi's first VA was perfect. They should have found someone who sounded like she did if they needed to replace her.

Of course, IMO, the worst offender in the DiC dub is Lori. That southern accent was a M E S S.

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:46 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I see a good bit of hate for the Viz dub too. I can understand preferring one version over the other, but both have their good points. I'm just happy everyone has an English dub they can enjoy now.

I mainly enjoy the Viz dub because it offers a new way to enjoy one of my all-time favorite series. I've seen the DiC, Cloverway and Japanese dubs multiple times each, so it's nice having a fresh way to watch the series.

LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
That goes along way to explaining a lot. The Viz dub is incredibly flat and often too understated like they’re trying waay too hard to be the anti-Optimum. To its own detriment.

Yeah, everything really fell into place for me when I heard that. I still like the Viz dub, but I agree they trying too hard to be the opposite of the old dub at times.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:58 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
My main issue with Viz is that they haven't tried to improve on the dub at all. It's fairly direct but that isn't always a good thing since they should take some liberties. And the lines are so flat during fight scenes I feel like.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:54 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NeoJupiter wrote:
My main issue with Viz is that they haven't tried to improve on the dub at all. It's fairly direct but that isn't always a good thing since they should take some liberties. And the lines are so flat during fight scenes I feel like.
What do you mean by "improve on the dub"? They're supposed to make it so English-speakers can watch the show in their native language without the need to also watch the Japanese version.

For another example, I've never seen InuYasha in Japanese because Viz's English dub of that show was good and faithful enough that I didn't ever feel the need to watch the Japanese version. That's how it ought to be for good, accurate English dubs. Otherwise, what's the point of dubbing an anime into another language at all if we're just supposed to still watch the Japanese version anyway?

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:54 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Of course, there's such a thing as being too faithful (see: their dub of episode 108).

But given that they've made changes (such as in their dub of episode 4 to tone down the body/fat-shaming) and inserted jokes (Over 9000!, purple pleated pants, etc), it's not exactly like Viz is 100% determined to be completely faithful. Making smart decisions about when (and how) to deviate from the original would make for a more watchable product. Not everything that worked in Japanese in the early 90s is going to work in English in the late 2010s.

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:10 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
The goal of an uncut dub is to take the spirit of the original and make it flow naturally in spoken English. How much liberties the dub takes with the original can vary depending on the show and studio but all dubs take liberties to some degree or else you would have everyone calling each other chan and kun and san all the time and it would just sound weird. Speaking as someone who has watched both the dub and sub of Inuyasha, I can tell you even the Inuyasha dub that was cited has plenty of it's fair shares of liberties with the translation. Like having Kagome reference The Wizard of Oz at one point in the first episode in the dub and the Inuyasha dub in general was made a lot more jokey than the original much like the Viz dub of Sailor Moon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:27 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
NeoJupiter wrote:

Actually, they're a lot more loose with the dub script nowadays. It was mainly the first few episodes where they were following the sub scripts nearly verbatim.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:42 pm 
Luna
Luna
MementoNepenthe wrote:
Of course, there's such a thing as being too faithful (see: their dub of episode 108).

Or leaving gomen se untranslated in episode 7. (I don't care if was the original lyricist fault or whatever it makes the Viz dub look woefully incompetent)

I was actually pleasantly surprised when the dub adapted Minako's messing up her proverbs into English proverbs rather than leaving them as is

Quote:
But given that they've made changes (such as in their dub of episode 4 to tone down the body/fat-shaming)

That's a good example of the Viz dub seeing something wrong with the original and improving on it. In the original Sailor Moon says something like "sweat 3 times and I'm beautiful" in the dub she says the much more positive "sweat 3 times and I can do anything" a lot of the problematic issues with that episode in the Viz dub are still present but they definitely tone them down.

Quote:
and inserted jokes (Over 9000!, purple pleated pants, etc), it's not exactly like Viz is 100% determined to be completely faithful. Making smart decisions about when (and how) to deviate from the original would make for a more watchable product. Not everything that worked in Japanese in the early 90s is going to work in English in the late 2010s.

And course dialog that may sound natural in Japanese does not always sound natural when said in English.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:27 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
The DiC dub also toned down a lot of the fat jokes in the diet episode and they cut out the jokes about Grandpa Hino harassing women. I wonder how they're going to dub the fat jokes in the Viz SuperS dub as Stephanie Sheh expressed criticism of them on Twitter recently.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:41 am 
Luna
Luna
Other than Luna drawing a picture (which seemed more like teasing Serena for her being upset over gaining half a pound ) the Dic dub dropped the “let’s fat shame Usagi”’entirely

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:59 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
You Have To Admit That Dic Dub Version Of Sailor Moon Is Pretty Good But I Have To Agree With You On The Viz Media Dub For Me Its Much Better Then Dic Version Because Its Uncut And Good Voice Acting I Still Need To Buy Sailor Moon r And Sailor Moon s Viz Media Dub For Dvd Then At 2018 I Need To Buy Sailor Moon Super s And Sailor Stars

Attachments:
ChibiUsa-Rini-Sailor-ChibiMoon-42.jpg
ChibiUsa-Rini-Sailor-ChibiMoon-42.jpg [ 50.82 KiB | Viewed 580 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:22 pm 
Lapis Lunaris
Lapis Lunaris
Other: A random moon bunny!
I actually prefer the DiC dub. I don't know why, but I do. They may have censored stuff for younger audience, but I actually like it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They also made those advice parts for everyone, which I actually like :smug:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:26 pm 
Luna
Luna
Blurise wrote:
I actually prefer the DiC dub. I don't know why, but I do. They may have censored stuff for younger audience, but I actually like it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They also made those advice parts for everyone, which I actually like :smug:

The phrasing seems a bit screwed up to me. Putting nerdy people in the same group as those who are evil or mean and instead of trying to understand them, wait for them to change. They're the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:44 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:
I do agree with you re: Katzi. I'm pretty sure Mary Long took over the role and I don't think that worked. I wish I knew why they recast. Katzi's first VA was perfect. They should have found someone who sounded like she did if they needed to replace her.

They recast because Roland Parliament said something to upset her and she had to be replaced.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53