Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1575 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: DiC vs. Viz
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:51 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Of course, both fans of each dub would butt heads. What else would you expect?

So… yeah. I'm just curious as to what the consensus here is. I know the latter is favored more but I'd like to know more, especially in regards to this "Nostalgia" vs. "new and faithful" war going on.

Post subject: Re: DiC vs. Viz
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:55 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Male straight
Oh god...better go see the military shop near me about buying a forum bunker.

I personally prefer Viz....I like the voices more, the only one I miss is Terri. Plus it's uncensored.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:14 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hypno wrote:
Oh god...better go see the military shop near me about buying a forum bunker.

I'll cover you as you go.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:16 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Personally I prefer the DiC dub. Yes it had cuts, but the voices, acting, and production is >>>>>>>>>>>>> the Viz dub's. I love the DiC music and there were plenty of instances where the dub script was an improvement on the original, IMO. (And there were instances of the opposite, to be sure, but not to the extent some people claim.) The Viz dub may be more faithful, but the acting is atrocious, the voices meh, and the pronunciations of some of the names grating/wrong. I'm happy the Viz dub exists for those who are enjoying it, and certainly some of the Viz VAs are doing a great job and others have improved markedly from their debut episodes, but overall it still feels so flat and lifeless compared to the DiC dub and original anime in my opinion, so it's just not for me.

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:18 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
StarHealerTornado wrote:
there were plenty of instances where the dub script was an improvement on the original, IMO.

Such as…?

Honestly, the DiC dub works more as a gag dub than a legit one. Moments of it are memorable but mostly because of how groan-worthy they can be.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:25 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Hmmm....I don't totally dismiss DiC as inferior...I even wrote this on a another forum

..and I am really surprised to find that they are no where near as bad as the fandom makes out, yet the Cloverway dub seems vice versa and has aged horribly!

I actually really enjoy the DiC dub, despite been extremely cheesy....if one goes into DiC expecting a faithful adaption they will be disappointed, yet if one goes in looking for a 90s cartoon with everything from the weird PSA's and awesome synth BGM you will get all of that and more!

Coming out of these episodes I came to the conclusion Sailor Moon DiC dub is a good TV show, but not a good Sailor Moon adaptation.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:26 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Episode one, for instance:

StarHealerTornado wrote:
-Usagi describes Luna as having a crescent-shaped bald spot. Serena says nothing like that. So while Serena is nice, Usagi is rude and nonsensical (how exactly does Luna's GOLDEN crescent moon resemble bare skin?)

-Naru admonishes Usagi for eating her lunch early (i.e. fat shames her). In fact, throughout that whole scene she's kind of a jerk to Usagi. Molly, on the other hand, is supportive of Serena, defends her to Melvin, and tries to cheer her up and take her mind off her test grade.

-Naru introduces her best friend to her mother for the first time. Serena and Ms. Baker clearly already know each other.

-Usagi is sad she doesn't have any money to buy that ring. Serena expresses concern that Molly's mother is acting weird.

-Usagi calls Mamoru a weirdo and he just stares off silently. Serena remarks that he's kind of cute and Darien thinks that there's something about her, thus subtly setting up a relationship between the two.

-Mama Ikuko bumped into Umino (where?) and found out about the test from him. Serena's mom found out about it from Melvin's mom (something that seems far more likely). Mama Ikuko then tosses out Usagi because she's unfit to come home (harsh!) whereas Serena's mom sends her to the library to study. Shingo kicks Usagi in the butt (because he's a sociopath?) whereas Sammy doesn't make an appearance.

-Throughout the rest of the episode Luna and Tuxedo Kamen are pretty useless and cold towards Usagi. Dub Luna and Tuxedo Mask, however, consistently encourage her to believe in herself.

-Jadeite does not seem to really care that his scheme failed, whereas Jedite looks like he's out for blood.

So yeah, overall I'd say the dub version beats the original.

DiC also changed the scene at school where Usagi, Umino, and Naru are talking about Sailor V by removing all references to Sailor V which I also think is an improvement. There are Sailor V games at the arcade where Usagi is clearly a regular customer. Yet she didn't know who Sailor V was? Yeah, that makes sense...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:29 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
VIZ dub.

I understand StarHealTornado saying the DIC dub had more life to it, which is true. But in my opinion it had too much life to it on the point of irritation.

That and girls could be incredibly mean to each other, like Amy's insult to Serena in DIC's episode 7.

Quote:
DiC also changed the scene at school where Usagi, Umino, and Naru are talking about Sailor V by removing all references to Sailor V which I also think is an improvement. There are Sailor V games at the arcade where Usagi is clearly a regular customer. Yet she didn't know who Sailor V was? Yeah, that makes sense...

Maybe the posters and game went put there on that day?

Besides Nostalgia Critic pointed out how Usagi knowing who Sailor V was already doesn't make sense either.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:33 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
SailorWelshy wrote:
VIZ dub.

I understand StarHealTornado saying the DIC dub had more life to it, which is true. But in my opinion it had too much life to it on the point of irritation.

Yeah, could be annoying sometimes....

Quote:
That and girls could be incredibly mean to each other, like Amy's insult to Serena in DIC's episode 7

Was it anything like "GO BLEACH YA ROOTS !"?

In all seriousness I did find many characters nasty in that dub in a bad way, especially Rei.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:36 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
SailorWelshy wrote:
VIZ dub.

That and girls could be incredibly mean to each other, like Amy's insult to Serena in DIC's episode 7.

Quote:

Maybe the posters and game went put there on that day?

Besides Nostalgia Critic pointed out how Usagi knowing who Sailor V was already doesn't make sense either.

The DiC dub was definitely made with a "Saturday morning cartoon" feel/audience in mind, so they definitely played the show for laughs a lot more than the original anime. IMO it works in the 'filler' episodes which are usually pretty goofy, but in the more serious episodes....while it doesn't personally bother me too much, I can definitely see why other people would dislike it.

In the manga, Usagi definitely was playing Sailor V games before she became Sailor Moon. Of course the anime isn't the same canon as the manga, but even within the universe of the anime, it doesn't sound at all like those Sailor V arcade games are new, nor does it sound like Sailor V is new, so I've never understood Usagi not knowing who she was.

And yes, while there were times the dub made the girls a bit meaner, there were also plenty of times they made the characters MUCH nicer, so in the end it at least evens out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:49 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
StarHealerTornado wrote:
it doesn't sound at all like those Sailor V arcade games are new, nor does it sound like Sailor V is new, so I've never understood Usagi not knowing who she was.

The only explanation is that Usagi is socially dead, and puts far too much attention on Motoki. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:55 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Gotta Go With Viz's Version on this one!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:02 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
VIZ is by far the better dub, since well... it's a faithful translation. They didn't go over the top with edits, script changes, inconsistencies, sex changes, awkward voice acting, character trait changes, etc.

HOWEVER! I must say the casting for the Sailor Team in the DIC (and even CWI) dub is better than VIZ. Each girl sounded unique in the original dub, while in the VIZ dub I think they sound too generic. They're not bad voices, but really only Usagi and Mako sound unique. The other girls sound too similar IMO.

DIC also got certain lines right that VIZ, for whatever reason, decided to change. Like Morga's "I've never heard of such a thing [as Sailor Moon]" or Mars comparing Moon to a gorilla. This annoys me because we're suppose to have a faithful dub, yet VIZ still wants to spice up the script with their own creative touches. No cool. This was one of the major issues with the original dub.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:14 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Viz is much better of course, but I acknowledge DiC's impact, and that dub was VERY good for it's time. Comparing them both now though, there is no comparison, literally no comparison. Viz has a much more accurate script (though not flat) with the original character names and terms, a consistent voice cast, and great voice acting from anime veterans. Few members of DiC's cast have any other anime credits, and it's usually obvious (though they performed decently under the circumstances). I miss Tracey Moore and Terri Hawkes too, but objectively, Stephanie Sheh is just so much better. She's cute, she breathes life into the character, and is perfect casting through and through. Plus DiC's dub ended at the end of R, and the old dub of S and SuperS is one of the worst of all time (and there is no old dub for Stars). I know Viz hasn't reached those episodes, but I fully expect them to sound head and shoulders better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:16 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
StarHealerTornado wrote:

StarHealerTornado wrote:
-Usagi describes Luna as having a crescent-shaped bald spot. Serena says nothing like that. So while Serena is nice, Usagi is rude and nonsensical (how exactly does Luna's GOLDEN crescent moon resemble bare skin?)

-Naru admonishes Usagi for eating her lunch early (i.e. fat shames her). In fact, throughout that whole scene she's kind of a jerk to Usagi. Molly, on the other hand, is supportive of Serena, defends her to Melvin, and tries to cheer her up and take her mind off her test grade.

-Naru introduces her best friend to her mother for the first time. Serena and Ms. Baker clearly already know each other.

-Usagi is sad she doesn't have any money to buy that ring. Serena expresses concern that Molly's mother is acting weird.

-Usagi calls Mamoru a weirdo and he just stares off silently. Serena remarks that he's kind of cute and Darien thinks that there's something about her, thus subtly setting up a relationship between the two.

-Mama Ikuko bumped into Umino (where?) and found out about the test from him. Serena's mom found out about it from Melvin's mom (something that seems far more likely). Mama Ikuko then tosses out Usagi because she's unfit to come home (harsh!) whereas Serena's mom sends her to the library to study. Shingo kicks Usagi in the butt (because he's a sociopath?) whereas Sammy doesn't make an appearance.

-Throughout the rest of the episode Luna and Tuxedo Kamen are pretty useless and cold towards Usagi. Dub Luna and Tuxedo Mask, however, consistently encourage her to believe in herself.

-Jadeite does not seem to really care that his scheme failed, whereas Jedite looks like he's out for blood.

All of that reeks of PC sugarcoating.

And Naru wasn't fat-shaming Usagi for eating lunch too early. Usagi's eating lunch too early was considered improper for one to do, so Naru was telling her to control herself so she doesn't do what's improper.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:25 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Plus DiC's dub ended at the end of R, and the old dub of S and SuperS is one of the worst of all time (and there is no old dub for Stars). I know Viz hasn't reached those episodes, but I fully expect them to sound head and shoulders better.

God Cloverway was terrible.

I like Rei's Viz voice though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:01 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Well, here's my opinion:

Stephanie Sheh IS Usagi Tsukino. She just captures the character beautifully, able to be sweet, flighty, etc. It's much more nuanced in comparison to DiC and CWi. The minute I heard it, I was sold.

Katie Higgins as Ami Mizuno was odd at first but liked how she could sound shy and also determined. "Douse yourself in water and repent!" Love that line and delivery.

Cristina Vee sounds like a mix of Rei's Manga persona and Anime persona. I… actually like that and I think they had Crystal in mind when it came to casting. Vee brings her A-game here and it's funny how she once made a fandub of Moonlight Densetsu before this.

Amanda Miller takes after Susan Roman for Makoto, take cue from DiC's dub while making the delivery her own nonetheless.

I thought Cheremi Leigh was a shoe-in for Minako, knowing how well she did Natsumi Hinata and Lucy Heartfilia but she was actually better than what I expected. I read that she read Codename: Sailor V to help get into character. Now that's dedication. Can't wait to hear her in R and S where the character becomes more goofy at times.

Robbie Daymond really captures Mamoru's stoic and stuck-up nature for season 1 yet gets Tuxedo Mask's gallant aura down too.

I'll talk about the Dark Kingdom next later but I'll say this for sure. Nephrite never sounded so smooth yet sinister.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:39 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: Lingering Spirit
Viz is better without question to me .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:45 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
matt0044 wrote:
Cristina Vee sounds like a mix of Rei's Manga persona and Anime persona. I… actually like that and I think they had Crystal in mind when it came to casting. Vee brings her A-game here and it's funny how she once made a fandub of Moonlight Densetsu before this.

So she is a fan herself? No wonder she plays her part spectacularly...her voice as Rei is perfect, ultimate, awesome, want to meet before I die.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:54 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Other: Married To NQS!
StarHealerTornado wrote:

StarHealerTornado wrote:

lol anyone remember that bit of music that played whenever Darien/Mamoru appeared on screen god that was amusing but ive got to go with Viz myself as well

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:14 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I always loved that little tango music whenever Usagi and Mamoru butted heads.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:09 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I would go with DiC for the voices and music and Viz for the translation. For me the DiC dub had superior music that fit the series better, and while I have gotten fairly used to the new voices, DiC had better ones for the main characters. The fight scenes seem really flat in Viz, all they would have to do is add some sound effects to it like DiC did.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:44 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
However Viz is just using the Japanese music. They might change the music or just leave it has is. I do love carry on. However I don't think they will change much for Viz. However they are times where Dic had changed much of all what the scene meant but I grew up with. I love both

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:53 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sabrblade wrote:
And Naru wasn't fat-shaming Usagi for eating lunch too early. Usagi's eating lunch too early was considered improper for one to do, so Naru was telling her to control herself so she doesn't do what's improper.

That and now Usagi will probably be hungry by lunchtime! :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:31 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
NeoJupiter wrote:
The fight scenes seem really flat in Viz, all they would have to do is add some sound effects to it like DiC did.

Why would they do that?

As for the music, there were some nice tracks but I feel like Takanori Arisawa's music is far better, diverse and memorable. Plus, the scoring in the DiC dub could be… lousy at times. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLsWjyF3ptY

Last edited by matt0044 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:36 pm 
Luna
Luna
matt0044 wrote:
NeoJupiter wrote:
The fight scenes seem really flat in Viz, all they would have to do is add some sound effects to it like DiC did.

Why would they do that?

Because it sounds better imo.

DiC version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Pt7NZA0NM

Viz version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHcaJUCqQME

Viz seems really flat when saying the attack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:41 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
NeoJupiter wrote:
matt0044 wrote:
NeoJupiter wrote:

Why would they do that?

Because it sounds better imo.

DiC version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Pt7NZA0NM

Viz version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHcaJUCqQME

Viz seems really flat when saying the attack

Miller sounds quite into it saying, "Supreme Thunder!" Just no echo effect that isn't needed.

It seems more like you favor it over nostalgia which isn't really fair. If you grew up with the Viz dub, you'd say otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:50 pm 
Luna
Luna
Has nothing to do with nostalgia, it's just a personal preference. The attacks to me shouldn't sound and be performed in the same manner/tone of when they are usual speaking. I like the the sound effect that DiC added and thought it added to the attacks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:07 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 18 months ago
inactive
I prefer the viz dub because it's more accurate but the dub itself sounds average compared to dubs like baccano .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:34 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 23 months ago
inactive
Viz. No questions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1575 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next