Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Why did they have to streach out Rei dating Mamoru thing?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:14 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
While I never Rei dating Mamoru in the original anime should have been a thing to begin with, I perfer the independent I don't neex no man Rei, but reguardless I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

What is the point of streaching it out beyond one episode? Seriously after episode 15, if you eleminate that sub plot nothing changes, they really don't do anything with it.

Just talking from the story structure stand point, episode 15 Rei needed a date to go with her to the park before it closes, okay after episode 15 that should be with that relationship. It doesn't serve a purpose. After that episode, it doesn't even look like they are dating, looks more like Rei just clinging to Mamoru. The only thing that it added past episode 15 was Motoku telling Mamoru saying he doesn't date middle school girls and Mamoru looking uncomfortable the fool. Which I thought was funny.

Anyone agree with me, let's just concede it happend in episode 15, should it had been dropped completely after that episode?

Post subject: Re: Why did they have to streach out Rei dating Mamoru thing?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:27 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
After having seeing season 1 again, I would have to say the Rei and Mamoru sub-plot was pretty well done.

It didn't get in the way of the main plot, and ended its course at the right time. It acted like any sub-plots should do.

Plus it allowed Rei to interact more with Usagi afterwards, especially when Mamoru got into trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:45 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I honestly would have preferred a MakotoxMamoru dating stint, instead. They have more in common and it would be a less antagonist alternative. Besides, I'll take Makoto over Rei having more interaction with Usagi any day.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" -Adam Savage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:27 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
zttmoon wrote:
While I never Rei dating Mamoru in the original anime should have been a thing to begin with, I perfer the independent I don't neex no man Rei, but reguardless I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

You do realize that when a woman dates or enters into a relationship with a man she doesn't automatically lose her independence? Seriously, do the "flip-the-gender" rule.
Also, in the manga Rei doesn't date guys because she doesn't trust men, not because she's independent and "doesn't need no man".

Anyways, to answer your question, I hate the Rei-Mamoru plot in the anime. Mamoru dates her for months but he doesn't even seem that interested. It's like, grow a spine, dude.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:34 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
kamen_glider wrote:
Mamoru dates her for months but he doesn't even seem that interested. It's like, grow a spine, dude.

Breaking up with someone is a lot harder than it sounds. Because you don't want your partner's feelings to be hurt, especially if they're very passionate about you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:21 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
SailorWelshy wrote:
kamen_glider wrote:
Mamoru dates her for months but he doesn't even seem that interested. It's like, grow a spine, dude.

Breaking up with someone is a lot harder than it sounds. Because you don't want your partner's feelings to be hurt, especially if they're very passionate about you.

But this only makes sense for serious relationships. That hardly describes Rei and Mamoru's relationship. Plus, if he was never interested in her, why did he even start dating her?

WeirdRaptor wrote:
I honestly would have preferred a MakotoxMamoru dating stint, instead. They have more in common and it would be a less antagonist alternative. Besides, I'll take Makoto over Rei having more interaction with Usagi any day.

Considering that Mamoru is the only guy on the show who didn't remind Makoto of her old boyfriend and that Mamoru called her a giant, I honestly don't see that working out well. What do Makoto and Mamoru have in common anyway? :tongue:

[edited by knm to merge a double post]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:45 pm 
Luna
Luna
Well, let's see, they had to learn to be independent from a young age due to both having very dead parents. Neither are particularly good with people and don't have many friends. Both have had to face the hardships of life without any sort of emotional back-up at times and have been misunderstand on more than one occasion. Need I go on?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" -Adam Savage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:49 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
kamen_glider wrote:
zttmoon wrote:

You do realize that when a woman dates or enters into a relationship with a man she doesn't automatically lose her independence? Seriously, do the "flip-the-gender" rule.
Also, in the manga Rei doesn't date guys because she doesn't trust men, not because she's independent and "doesn't need no man".

Anyways, to answer your question, I hate the Rei-Mamoru plot in the anime. Mamoru dates her for months but he doesn't even seem that interested. It's like, grow a spine, dude.

Yay I know, I have nothing against that. Though the Rei in the manga would allow herself to literally be stepped on. LOL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:14 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: Lingering Spirit
It was a nice little sub plot, nothing less nothing more.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:36 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
Black_Chaos wrote:
I feel the same basically, if Chiba would have shown interest in her rather than just going with it then I'd like it better.

I think it ended at the right time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:20 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: Lingering Spirit
Prince Rose wrote:
Black_Chaos wrote:
I feel the same basically, if Chiba would have shown interest in her rather than just going with it then I'd like it better.

I think it ended at the right time.

Exactly , the only other alternative could of been maybe having Mamoru show alittle interest and have the sub plot around until Serenity's reveal ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:21 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 24 months ago
inactive
Because the 90s anime is full of all kinds of pointless filler.

This is just one example.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:22 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
I think the producers thought Rei was an interesting character and decided to pair her with Mamoru to make her --and her rivalry with Usagi-- more interesting.

The producers were assigned the task of adapting 14 manga chapters (which were still being written during the original broadcast of the anime) into 46 anime episodes! They had to come up with their own ideas to make the anime series last so long.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:10 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I didn't mind the Rei and Mamoru thing although it was clear that Mamoru was not interested in Rei. Mamoru basically just went on dates with her to keep her happy and not out of any romantic interests. I am sure he thought at first there could be more between them but during their dates he seemed to be interested in her as nothing more then a friend. Personally I thought the Mamoru and Hina plot during PGSM was handled better and more interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:35 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I enjoyed them dating, it was a good change to make. Not to mention that they handled the fall out after the reveal very well with there being no drama between Rei/Serena and Rei not trying to stand in the way. If anything, it would have been interesting to see them question is it only their past lives that are drawing them to each other and making these feelings or do they actually care about and want to be with one another in the here and now?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:02 am 
Forums Shogun
Forums Shogun
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I don't think he thought of himself as dating Rei. I think Mamoru agreed to meet up with her to do things as a friend. I got the sense in the anime he studied a lot and didn't go out much so he likely saw it as an excuse to go outside. I thought, from that perspective, it's actually well done.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:09 am 
Stella
Stella
Jadeite2 wrote:
I don't think he thought of himself as dating Rei. I think Mamoru agreed to meet up with her to do things as a friend. I got the sense in the anime he studied a lot and didn't go out much so he likely saw it as an excuse to go outside. I thought, from that perspective, it's actually well done.

I thought the samething Jadeite2 while Rei was invested in the relationship I don't think that Mamoru was ever truly at best I think he saw her as a friend and an excuse to go outside, have fun etc as a break from his studies. Usagi was the one he always had feelings for, even when they were teasing each other it was clearly like two kids who like each other but are too immature to tell each other their feelings. Plus even though Mamoru did have friends before meeting Usagi, it was Usagi who got him to truly open up with himself. Which is why I love their relationship. I still say though I think the Hina and Mamoru story in PGSM was better then the Rei and Mamoru story in classic. I would have much rather seen classic anime Hina and Mamoru storyline then the Rei and Mamoru storyline. Rei could have a crush on Mamoru but I still would have rather had Hina and Mamoru to be engaged and the unrequited love between the two then him with Rei.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:13 am 
inactive
I think that Usagi and Mamoru kisses are the best kisses.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:21 am 
Stella
Stella
Kerochan no Miko wrote:

I agree Kerochan no Miko in all continuities they have the best kisses and are an amazing pairing.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:40 pm 
inactive
MariaTenebre wrote:
Kerochan no Miko wrote:

I agree Kerochan no Miko in all continuities they have the best kisses and are an amazing pairing.

.....oh no are you actually Usagi and Mamoru's dupe account?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:15 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
I guess Toei wanted to create “drama” to make the show interesting. It’s like your typical American show where they have two people that they plan to make endgame, but they add another person to shake things up a bit and create conflict before putting them together.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:58 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
F i l l e r - A r c

basically is my take on it P-:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:19 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
^^^^agreed.i see no other explanation.

but i love this pairing as i said multiple times before.i even want it to last much longer.and wanted mamo to show affection to rei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:25 pm 
Luna
Luna
People acting like it was pointless filler are missing the forest for trees.

The point was to have Rei angry over Mamoru choosing Usagi over her and then accepting it and moving on strengthing her relationship with Usagi.