Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Did Naoko writing Sailor Moon change magical genre?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:26 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Naoko most famous work is Sailor Moon although it would be nice to see her do another manga again. But did it change how Japan saw the genre? What I loved about Sailor Moon was how action packed it was and still had enough magical girl to make it fun to watch that's what made me turn off winx a due to the fact that it was more magically that action packed.

Post subject: Re: Did Naoko writing Sailor Moon change magical genre?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:00 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
I think Go Nagai changed the magical girl genre with Cutey Honey on the action part. Then Devil Hunter Yohoko and then Sailor Moon added the sentai aspect and blended it all together.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:39 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
I think Go Nagai changed the magical girl genre with Cutey Honey on the action part. Then Devil Hunter Yohoko and then Sailor Moon added the sentai aspect and blended it all together.

I guess you meant Yohko? :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:59 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Star Angel Haruki wrote:

I guess you meant Yohko? :)

Yeah, my mistake.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:56 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
It definitely was a big influence in many future magical girl series and it is the most widely known and loved.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:08 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Yeah, it did. Now nearly every series that follows is usually some sort of cheap knock-off. P-:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:49 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
NO.

Shotaro Ishinomori (Kamen Rider) changed the magical genre when he created Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k81Z7FzjBns

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:54 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Clow wrote:
NO.

Shotaro Ishinomori (Kamen Rider) changed the magical genre when he created Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k81Z7FzjBns

Well, apparently Takeuchi had borrowed some elements from it, but there're also other important elements in Sailor Moon not found in it. :)

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:52 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
"Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine" was one of TOEI's biggest hits in Japan in the late-80s/early-90s.

I cannot prove, but I am convinced that TOEI approached Naoko and asked her to create a similar product (hence, Sailor V).

There are too many similarities between "Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine" and "Sailor V": https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IScTLBWYXlg

And when TOEI executives asked Naoko to create a "chibi" version of Sailor Moon, they essentially wanted to do the same thing that they did in the second act of "Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine": https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Emwi52h2iGA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:06 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Clow wrote:
There are too many similarities between "Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine" and "Sailor V": https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IScTLBWYXlg

And when TOEI executives asked Naoko to create a "chibi" version of Sailor Moon, they essentially wanted to do the same thing that they did in the second act of "Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine": https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Emwi52h2iGA

Yeah, I should've said Takeuchi had borrowed many elements from it. And I've almost forgotten that "Chibi Poitrine." :chibiusa:

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:57 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Yeah, she did help give “rise”to that genre, but I do think that with the help of Toei, SM ended up being special and stood out from the rest.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:57 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Married to Litacan
I can't be certain but I think Sailor Moon did indeed influence, maybe not change the magical girl genre, but it absolutely helped chance the anime industry as a whole at the time. At around the mid to late 80s a lot of studios created a lot of anime with foreign settings in order to market to them, I tend to think Naoko was part of this as well with Codename Sailor V. But Sailor Moon ended up as part of the big five that dominated the western audience through dubs. I can't really state one way or the other but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Sailor Moon did chance the condition of the genre as well as anime as a whole.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:58 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Oh yes it did. =^_^=