* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Glitter Force and Other Similar Sailor Moon Copycats
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:07 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
Any of you hear about Glitter Force coming to Netflix? - https://youtu.be/JadCoGRkVag

How many other magical girl anime based series are similar to Sailor Moon are there?

Post subject: Re: Glitter Force and Other Similar Sailor Moon Copycats
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:02 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Glitter Force is just Smile PreCure though?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:33 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
OMG

Ugh here we go again Smile Precure is not a copy of sailor moon. The reason it has similarities, is because it's a magical girl show. Lot of magical girl series share the same tropes. If you look Cutie Honey,it had some similarities to sailor moon. And that came out in the 70's. Also when comparing series,it s better to looked at the manga s. Because the anime's tend to add magical girl anime tropes to it as well. Some may seem similar at first glance,but when you look into them. They are in fact two different stories.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:41 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I wouldn't necessarily call shows like Tokyo Mew Mew, Pretty Cure, Winx Club, Rayearth, etc copycats of Sailor Moon, but they're definitely inspired by it. Sailor Moon was the first magical girl team anime, and established most of the tropes you see in those shows. Then there's deconstructions like Madoka Magica. The magical girl genre is older than Sailor Moon though. It goes back to Bewitched, which was popular in Japan, and inspired shows like Sally the Witch, and later Princess Knight, Rose of Versailles, Cutey Honey, and Creamy Mami, which are what initially inspired Takeuchi's Sailor V, which we all know morphed into Sailor Moon. Cardcaptor Sakura would I guess be more of a "traditional" magical girl anime with no team, though that also has some elements inspired by Sailor Moon. I think Utena would be more of a deconstruction of those pre-Sailor Moon magical girl series like Rose of Versailles, but again, also has Sailor Moon elements. Sailor Moon's the biggest series in the genre, and it's definitely made it's mark on it permanently.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:26 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
There's a vantage point I'd like to explore: this "Glitter Force" version as a copycat of DiC's SM dubs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:54 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily call shows like Tokyo Mew Mew, Pretty Cure, Winx Club, Rayearth, etc copycats of Sailor Moon, but they're definitely inspired by it. Sailor Moon was the first magical girl team anime, and established most of the tropes you see in those shows. Then there's deconstructions like Madoka Magica. The magical girl genre is older than Sailor Moon though. It goes back to Bewitched, which was popular in Japan, and inspired shows like Sally the Witch, and later Princess Knight, Rose of Versailles, Cutey Honey, and Creamy Mami, which are what initially inspired Takeuchi's Sailor V, which we all know morphed into Sailor Moon. Cardcaptor Sakura would I guess be more of a "traditional" magical girl anime with no team, though that also has some elements inspired by Sailor Moon. I think Utena would be more of a deconstruction of those pre-Sailor Moon magical girl series like Rose of Versailles, but again, also has Sailor Moon elements. Sailor Moon's the biggest series in the genre, and it's definitely made it's mark on it permanently.

Sailor Moon and Magic Knight Rayearth are complete opposites. In MKR, the girls bleed while they are fighting, the story takes place in a different planet (Cephiro), and the tone is much darker. MKR blends elements of the magical girl and mecha anime genres with parallel world fantasy.

Cardcaptor Sakura, on the other hand, is CLAMP's official response to Sailor Moon. The editors of Nakayoshi (the magazine that serialized Sailor Moon) specifically asked CLAMP to create a magical girl story, and CLAMP created Cardcaptor Sakura.

Cute Honey did not inspire Sailor Moon, either. In the early-1990, TOEI created a very successful tokusatsu show, "Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine" (Pretty Masked Girl Poitrine), and after Poitrine's last episode aired, TOEI wanted to continue selling toys. However, you cannot sell toys without a show, and TOEI, therefore, approached Naoko and asked her to create something similar to this.

TOEI's biggest hit was Sailor Moon, though Naoko wouldn't let them exploit her franchise as much as they would like, and TOEI came up with Precure, which IMO is pretty generic but does a good job at achieving TOEI's main purpose (selling toys).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:06 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Clow wrote:
TOEI's biggest hit was Sailor Moon, though Naoko wouldn't let them exploit her franchise as much as they would like, and TOEI came up with Precure, which IMO is pretty generic but does a good job at achieving TOEI's main purpose (selling toys).

There were other magical girl shows from Toei before that like Doremi, which had run a good 4 years before Precure came around.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:06 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NJ_ wrote:
Clow wrote:

There were other magical girl shows from Toei before that like Doremi, which had run a good 4 years before Precure came around.

And one of the Precure series intentionally imitates Doremi as a tribute to it. lol

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:26 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Clow wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily call shows like Tokyo Mew Mew, Pretty Cure, Winx Club, Rayearth, etc copycats of Sailor Moon, but they're definitely inspired by it. Sailor Moon was the first magical girl team anime, and established most of the tropes you see in those shows. Then there's deconstructions like Madoka Magica. The

Sailor Moon and Magic Knight Rayearth are complete opposites. In MKR, the girls bleed while they are fighting, the story takes place in a different planet (Cephiro), and the tone is much darker. MKR blends elements of the magical girl and mecha anime genres with parallel world fantasy.

Cardcaptor Sakura, on the other hand, is CLAMP's official response to Sailor Moon. The editors of Nakayoshi (the magazine that serialized Sailor Moon) specifically asked CLAMP to create a magical girl story, and CLAMP created Cardcaptor Sakura.

Cute Honey did not inspire Sailor Moon, either. In the early-1990, TOEI created a very successful tokusatsu show, "Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine" (Pretty Masked Girl Poitrine), and after Poitrine's last episode aired, TOEI wanted to continue selling toys. However, you cannot sell toys without a show, and TOEI, therefore, approached Naoko and asked her to create something similar to this.

I wasn't saying that Sailor Moon was inspire by Cutie Honey. I was just saying it had some similar things in it. My point is magical girl anime,have similar tropes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:46 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
TOEI actually has been exploring the genre since the mid-1980s with its Fugishi Comedy series:

Fushigi Shoujo Nile na Thutmose

Mahou Shojochuka na Ipanema

Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine

All of those series were created by Shotaro Ishinomori (Kamen Rider), and thus I think he's the true founder of the genre.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:34 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Other: Married To NQS!
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

id have probably enjoyed Tokyo Mew Mew more had 4Kids not butchered it to the point of no return, Cardcaptor Sakura I absolutely love especially the new dub the original dub was god awful had episodes removed even though they were dubbed over although I won't deny Cardcaptor Sakura was the most confusing anime ever

what's the story of Glitter Force?, its the first I've heard of it

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:56 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
I've heard that Pretty Cure stood out for its more brutal fight choreography, or something like that... Hey, if it started in 2004, then that was in the middle of the live-action Sailor Moon show, wasn't it? So that may be when magic gadget cellphones had taken over, and I've also heard that it adopted the practice of making the Cures gain completely different hair in transformations a few series in.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:34 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
what's the story of Glitter Force?, its the first I've heard of it

It's an adaptation of the 9th Precure series (or 7th if you don't count two of them having sequel seasons), Smile Precure, Saban Brands picked up the show in 2013 at around the time that it ended in Japan (and replaced by Dokidoki Precure) and the first half of their dubs premiered yesterday exclusively on Netflix.

For info on what was cut and perhaps why, check the last few pages of the Pretty Cure thread.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:20 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Honestly, after Sailor Moon came around it kind of changed the whole premise of magical girl shows. Yeah, you have stuff like Sakura that is totally unlike it, but 90% of the series post 1992 that came out are in some shape or form way too inspired by Sailor Moon. It's gotten to the point where the overall premise of "magical girls" is to follow Sailor Moon's formula. Most early magical girls didn't even fight enemies.

imaginationgirl wrote:
I wasn't saying that Sailor Moon was inspire by Cutie Honey. I was just saying it had some similar things in it. My point is magical girl anime,have similar tropes.

Yeah, definitively. You can't tell me Cutie Honey didn't have some sort of influence on Sailor Moon. Plus, you have Sailor Moon totally influencing later revivals of Cutie Honey, such as Cutey Honey Flash (although romance, and art style aside, they're pretty different) and the tempering of Honey's personality in later series like Re: and The Live.

I can literally pick apart so many different things from older magical girl series that have ended up being recycled in Sailor Moon. Each magical girl has kind of played off each other, especially Toei stuff. Producers were like "Hey, this worked for series A, let's incorporate it in series B!"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:25 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Cutey Honey is undeniably an influence to Sailor Moon. In Codename: Sailor V, Minako (who looks like Honey Kisaragi) even references Honey's transformation speech ("Sometimes I'm X, other times I'm y, but my true identity is...").

Edit: Also Idol Angel Yokoso Yoko premiered a year before Sailor Moon did:

Notice the character design for the main character and the pose.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:45 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
napy666 wrote:
Any of you hear about Glitter Force coming to Netflix?

StarHealerTornado wrote:

Except it's not, not exactly anyway. It's a butchered Smile PrettyCure and if you have any self-respect, you'll not watch the Saban butchered product. I don't have Netflix, so I don't know if you can register a complaint about their garbage.

I hope you find this page informative and enlightening:
http://prettycureforum.com/thread/571/glitter-force-edits

These opinions are fictional. Any resemblance to actual opinions, mine or someone else's, is coincidental.

CompTIA A+ Certified IT Tech

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:19 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
^ I really don't care about PreCure; I was just pointing out that GF is just a dubbed (however badly) version of PC rather than an entirely new anime or cartoon series.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:15 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MrShoujo wrote:
napy666 wrote:
Any of you hear about Glitter Force coming to Netflix?

StarHealerTornado wrote:

Except it's not, not exactly anyway. It's a butchered Smile PrettyCure and if you have any self-respect, you'll not watch the Saban butchered product. I don't have Netflix, so I don't know if you can register a complaint about their garbage.

I hope you find this page informative and enlightening:
http://prettycureforum.com/thread/571/glitter-force-edits

I disagree,despite the Americanization,it is mostly faithful to the original Smile Precure. It s not butcher at all,nobody has lack of respect from themselves s by watching it. Saying they do cause it Americanize,is rude and snoddy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:22 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
Ok, first of all: how can you all be so relaxed about this glitter force bs? yes the plot of a girls team has been used in several amines, that's not the problem. The problem is THEY COPY ALMOST EVERY STAPLE PHRASE, OUTFIT PIECE, AND MAGICAL OBJECT IN SAILOR MOON. like seriously?! The locket on their bows FROM SAILOR MOON, the transformations IDENTICAL TO SAILOR MOON TRANSFORMATIONS, their magical locket LOOKS JUST LIKE ONE OF SAILOR MOONS LOCKETS, the tiara on the green ones head with the gem in the middle EXACTLY WHAT THE SAILOR SCOUTS WEAR, their chant right before one of them makes an attack THE SAME AS SAILOR MOON, their boots SAILOR MOOON, the blue one has almost the same exact attacks and personality as sailor mercury who's color theme IS BLUE. I mean come on guys!? It's ridiculous. Watching glitter forces makes me pissed tf off. The show is a disgrace to to ALL ANIME. And the fact that little kids get it confused with sailor moon is completely humiliating to the whole series. Sailor moon is a master piece and glitter forces is a god☹ spoof.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:33 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
^Someone's a little touchy. I disagree on SM being a masterpiece, it is not entirely original either. Send a PM to vent your anger, please.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:56 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I don't understand why it matters that Pretty Cure has some similarities to Sailor Moon if it's entertaining to some people. Naoko herself plagiarized a lot of her ideas. Most of Naoko's fashion for her characters is flat out plagiarized from real life fashion models without any proper citation from Naoko. I feel like that's kind of a bigger issue than Pretty Cure sharing a few common tropes in a long established genre.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:01 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
^ Exactly, Neon Genesis! I love Pretty Cure and Sailor Moon equally. There may be similarities between both franchises, there's nothing wrong with that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:15 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
^Someone's a little touchy. I disagree on SM being a masterpiece, it is not entirely original either. Send a PM to vent your anger, please.

Wow...when Usagi-Fifth-Doctor is ticked off enough to lay down the law, she gets scary. ^_^' ^_^' ^_^' Good job though, lmao.

But yeah, this post is a bit ridiculous...

Leibee26 wrote:
Ok, first of all: how can you all be so relaxed about this glitter force bs? yes the plot of a girls team has been used in several amines, that's not the problem. The problem is THEY COPY ALMOST EVERY STAPLE PHRASE, OUTFIT PIECE, AND MAGICAL OBJECT IN SAILOR MOON. like seriously?! The locket on their bows FROM SAILOR MOON, the transformations IDENTICAL TO SAILOR MOON TRANSFORMATIONS, their magical locket LOOKS JUST LIKE ONE OF SAILOR MOONS LOCKETS, the tiara on the green ones head with the gem in the middle EXACTLY WHAT THE SAILOR SCOUTS WEAR, their chant right before one of them makes an attack THE SAME AS SAILOR MOON, their boots SAILOR MOOON, the blue one has almost the same exact attacks and personality as sailor mercury who's color theme IS BLUE. I mean come on guys!? It's ridiculous. Watching glitter forces makes me pissed tf off. The show is a disgrace to to ALL ANIME. And the fact that little kids get it confused with sailor moon is completely humiliating to the whole series. Sailor moon is a master piece and glitter forces is a god☹ spoof.

Okay, it looks like you're new here so I'm going to cut you some slack. I understand that you're frustrated, but I think a lot of your frustration is rooted in ignorance. That's okay, because we can fix ignorance -- as long as you're willing to learn some things, such as...

1) Toei Animation is, in the end, responsible for "Glitter Force" -- in fact, that's just the English name for one of the PreCure ("Pretty Cure") shows, of which there are many. Toei Animation also produced the 90s Sailor Moon anime and they're the ones responsible for convincing Naoko to turn her Sailor V manga into a story about a team of girls -- or at least they're partially responsible. So Toei is involved with both Sailor Moon and PreCure...meaning it's not a ripoff.

2) Sailor Moon itself is not a wholly unique concept -- it borrows from a LOT of shows and ideas that preceded it. Take, for example, Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine (found this comparison pic on Google from someone's Tumblr):

There's also the fact that Sailor Moon is basically a female version of the Super Sentai genre. You will recognize Super Sentai as the original source material for Power Rangers; it started airing in the 70s and it's still going strong today.

3) I have yet to see a PreCure show myself -- I really want to soon, though. That said...what about it is a disgrace, besides the similarities to Sailor Moon? The fact that it's so similar should make you interested in it, not angry at it. Why is it bad when Sailor Moon is so good?

4) PreCure is not a spoof of Sailor Moon. It's just that by now, Sailor Moon has given birth to its own genre: magical girl sentai. Before Sailor Moon, magical girl was limited to girls transforming into idols or into beautiful versions of themselves (we see this in the Sailor V manga as well as Sailor Moon's initial disguise powers). After Sailor Moon became popular, it really turned magical girl into a genre that involved fighting evil or getting involved in strong supernatural plots. We see this in Magic Knight Rayearth, Cardcaptor Sakura, Madoka Magica, Pretear (which shares a character designer/animation director? with Sailor Moon), and--like you mentioned--PreCure (or "Glitter Force" as you refer to it). Are you going to say that all of these other awesome shows are likewise spoofs and disgraces?

5) You mention a character that is just like Sailor Mercury; did you know that Sailor Mercury's voice actor, Aya Hisakawa, voices a PreCure character named Cure Moonlight? I believe Sailor Moon herself also voices a PreCure character who isn't a Cure (if I recall), and I wouldn't be surprised if other Sailor Moon alumni have gone on to voice characters in PreCure.

6) Speaking of...blue is often associated with the water/ice element in these kinds of stories, and such characters are often "brainy" and maybe a bit socially awkward (Billy, the original Blue Ranger, embodies these elements perfectly). You can't say that a character who's blue and has water attacks and is very intelligent is a rip-off of Sailor Mercury; rather, try thinking of it in terms of tropes and archetypes, which Sailor Moon most likely helped to form.

7) I also think very highly of Sailor Moon, but calling it a masterpiece while downplaying other perfectly good magical girl shows kind of lacks critical thinking.

8 ) And like Neon Genesis said above, a lot of Naoko's fashion choices for the characters were taken DIRECTLY from fashion magazines, models, etc. The same goes for certain art pieces she made for the manga (covers, title pages, fodder for the art books, etc.) that clearly borrow a lot from famous art pieces.

I don't mean any of this in a harsh or mean way; I just think that your reaction here is purely emotional and you're not considering the reality of the situation. It makes me think you don't know a lot about the anime industry. That's not a bad thing, by the way -- it's just an observation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:40 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
^ Thank you so much for politely dealing with them, John.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:40 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
And don't forget many Precure series intentionally pay tribute to various magical girls anime classics, including Sailor Moon. :wink:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:23 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
^That is true! :) :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:30 am 
☽ Crescent Moonie
Leibee26 wrote:

Question is... did they write a better story? better handling of the themes? perhaps more of an urban fantasy with a well writren story instead of some miracle romance with mostly bad and annoying villains and plots relying on contrived devices and coincidences to work?

no offense but calling this hastily welded together frankenstein of a product a masterpiece is a bit mistaken. Whatever worked well in the story was a filler arc (doom tree) that the anime makers did without Naoko bothering them, or a filler episode, while the closest the manga ever got to a masterpiece was Naoko's landscape / sky-scape art.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:33 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
^You're right, Boro.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:54 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Boro wrote:
no offense but calling this hastily welded together frankenstein of a product a masterpiece is a bit mistaken. Whatever worked well in the story was a filler arc (doom tree) that the anime makers did without Naoko bothering them, or a filler episode, while the closest the manga ever got to a masterpiece was Naoko's landscape / sky-scape art.

Yes. The Doom Tree arc for the most part is well written. And I love that most of the action and drama was at :usagi: :mako: and :ami:'s school. =^_^= ^_^ =^_^=

It deserves its own 30+ episodes. :innocent: :) :innocent:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:26 am 
☽ Crescent Moonie
more than 6th season ideas thats for sure.