* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Artwork 90s Anime
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:45 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Attachment:
tumblr_o1c1z356u01qivj1oo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_o1c1z356u01qivj1oo2_1280.jpg [ 517.46 KiB | Viewed 7634 times ]

I thought this deserved its own thread, considering we have threads about rare manga artwork. This design appeared on the new Sailor Moon-themed marriage registration paperwork.

It's unusual because most of the artwork for the '90s anime merchandise have used old artwork, but this is definitely brand new. And while it's also in the '90s anime style, the coloring and feel is also similar to the manga, so it's kind of like a blend. There's 1 or 2 more artworks in this style, but I'm too lazy to find them right now.

Really curious who designed them! Wondering if anyone knows.

Post subject: Re: New Artwork 90s Anime
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:33 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Wow, this artwork is gorgeous!

It reminds me of Naoko's style as well. I wish the 90's anime had looked this elegant.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:03 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
It's pretty. Every time I look at Mamoru for too long...he looks like Seiya.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:14 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 7 months ago
inactive

This art style reminds me of the old school children's storybooks like "Little Bear" and "Winnie the Pooh" :P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:21 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
^ Nice clothing & bag designs. :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:24 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I found another one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:38 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ Looking like an idol's stage costume. lol

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:50 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
someone should upload a HQ version of the new art from that 1000 piece puzzle which has all the senshi on it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:03 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membership
ZetusMoon wrote:

This art style reminds me of the old school children's storybooks like "Little Bear" and "Winnie the Pooh" :P

I love this art style....they were used in the Anna Sui x Sailor Moon merchandise collaboration. :-P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:01 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
In the first pic, I kinda like how there's a sort of "gold and silver" theme going on with each of their outfits, as it's quite rare for Mamoru to be associated with the color of gold instead of the usual color associations of black, white, gray, green, or lavender. It makes sense for gold to be one of his main colors considering his connection to the Golden Crystal/Golden Kingdom/etc. an Usagi's complementary association with the color of silver (Silver Crystal/Silver Millennium/etc.). Not only is his shirt gold in that pic but his white coat has just the fainted hint of a gold tint to it, complementing the silvery tint of Usagi's dress.

Also, it's nice to finally see a wedding pic of the two of them being just pleasantly calm and normal, rather than emphasizing the "lovey-dovey"/"uber-pretty" aspects of their wedding that we usually get from Usagi/Mamoru wedding scenes. Not that there shouldn't be any of that in a wedding, mind you. It's just that it's rare for us to get any other sides of the occasion beyond those, and I like how much more modest and serene this artwork makes the occasion look compared to other ones that are more in-you-face about it.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:45 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Sabrblade wrote:
In the first pic, I kinda like how there's a sort of "gold and silver" theme going on with each of their outfits, as it's quite rare for Mamoru to be associated with the color of gold instead of the usual color associations of black, white, gray, green, or lavender. It makes sense for gold to be one of his main colors considering his connection to the Golden Crystal/Golden Kingdom/etc. an Usagi's complementary association with the color of silver (Silver Crystal/Silver Millennium/etc.). Not only is his shirt gold in that pic but his white coat has just the fainted hint of a gold tint to it, complementing the silvery tint of Usagi's dress.
But is Usagi's dress white and gold or is it blue and gold? :googly: In all seriousness, I love this artwork. It makes me think of how Kenji would probably be bawling his eyes out on this day because his girl is all grown up here. But why are the roses black? Black roses seem like they would be more fitting for a funeral than a wedding to me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:05 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Neon Genesis wrote:
But why are the roses black?
They aren't. They're white.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:40 am 
Stella
Stella
I love the designs I think they are very pretty and romantic plus I love the Usagi and Mamoru wedding pic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:36 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The first image is cropped, but the full certificate also includes Luna and Artemis. They can also be seen here.

So cute! Interestingly, Luna and Artemis have their manga eye-coloring (blue and green respectively).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:00 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
SakuyamonX wrote:
The first image is cropped, but the full certificate also includes Luna and Artemis. They can also be seen here.

So cute! Interestingly, Luna and Artemis have their manga eye-coloring (blue and green respectively).

Their rose decorations also look interesting. :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:24 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Luna's eyes are blue like in the Manga.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:14 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
ZetusMoon wrote:

Super cute. I like. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:28 pm 
Luna
Luna
New artwork for the Sailor Moon x ISETAN 2016 collaboration.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:33 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ Nice clothes - wish they were actually animated. :D

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:54 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I love that they gave Luna blue eyes! Now why couldn't Crystal have gotten that right?

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:24 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
^ Those are absolutely cute! So curious who is the artist drawing them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:41 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
SakuyamonX wrote:
^ Those are absolutely cute! So curious who is the artist drawing them.

My guess is that it's probably a freelance artist. You'd be surprised at the amount of work like this that's outsourced, usually for one-shot work. A friend of mine works is a freelance artist who occasionally wins bids on doing Disney puzzles here in Japan, and I have another friend who occasionally does artwork for official anime licensed games. o_O There are editors who keep strict quality control, though, and make edits which is how character style and consistency is kept.

Unfortunately, contracts mean they're not allowed to talk about it publicly, so you aren't really able to track down the individual artists.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:30 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'm unclear on what the "marriage certificate" with the OP picture on it is for. Is it a special edition legal document that real people are using to get married?
The are & color style of the OP pic reminds me of a mid 90s PC date sim game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:35 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
worldo_shaking wrote:
I'm unclear on what the "marriage certificate" with the OP picture on it is for. Is it a special edition legal document that real people are using to get married?

As I understand, it is. :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:13 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
worldo_shaking wrote:
The are & color style of the OP pic reminds me of a mid 90s PC date sim game.

It's not a legal document in its own right, per se, but basically the application/notice form that you submit to the local city hall or ward office to tell them you got married. Once you submit the form, you'll never see it again, so it's more of a novelty than anything else. Most of the popular women's / marriage magazines here in Japan include colorful/pink forms and you can pick up Disney ones in special editions.

Once the city hall approves your paperwork, all you get is a lame little postcard that says "gotcha, looks like you're married!"

=p I got married in Japan last year, so kinda disappointed this wasn't out then.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:27 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Tuxedo_Unmasked wrote:
Once the city hall approves your paperwork, all you get is a lame little postcard that says "gotcha, looks like you're married!"

Would be nice if that "lame little postcard" at least had Sailor Moon-themed graphics on it. :D

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:50 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Oh, you know, if they'd like.. send you your application form with a seal of approval on it or something. =p You spend forever filling out the details, getting witnesses and all that, it's a shame that it probably goes in a shredder. Usagi and Mamoru, IN THE SHREDDER!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:21 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Tuxedo_Unmasked wrote:
Oh, you know, if they'd like.. send you your application form with a seal of approval on it or something. =p You spend forever filling out the details, getting witnesses and all that, it's a shame that it probably goes in a shredder. Usagi and Mamoru, IN THE SHREDDER!

Now you've made the fans reluctant to use those forms. lol

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:02 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'd probably use a regular form, but have my spouse fill out the Sailor Moon one with me and we frame it instead of sending it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:38 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Do we know when these go on sale? Seems like if someone could pick one up and scan it in high quality, people in the West could also make their own...
I was able to find a high quality scan of at least one of them here

[Edit]

Nevermind, found the answer. All designs are available now, online, for 3,000 yen each.
https://konin-todoke.com/sailormoon/

Not too bad! They also give you a smaller one printed on really nice paper so that you can use it in a scrapbook or something.
It also looks like, from December to March 25, the city of Sagamihara is giving out a Sailor Moon marriage notice for free.

http://sailormoon-official.com/information/post_528.php