* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sailor Moon R Toei Remaster
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:05 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membership
Thought I'd upload some screengrabs of Toei's remaster of R being aired on NHK.

The difference between them and Viz with season 1 wasn't that huge, but consdering how botched R's Viz release was, it's fair to say that this is far superior. lol

Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon R Toei Remaster
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:06 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Whoa. What great quality.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:08 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Are these just another upscale?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:41 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
That looks so good and so much cleaner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:13 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
Very nice, they look very close to the original cels.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:31 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Nice! Hopefully we'll get a BD release in Japan once this airing is over.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:05 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
The problem Toei gave Viz a different master and here is Toei coming out with this. So I don't know why unless Toei found it or they don't want other countries to have it.

Last edited by Ami Mizuno on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:14 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Ami Mizuno wrote:
The problem Toei gave Viz a different master and here is Toei coming out with this. So I don't know why unless Toei found it or they don't wan other countries to have it.

Probably the latter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:46 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Ami Mizuno wrote:
The problem Toei gave Viz a different master and here is Toei coming out with this. So I don't know why unless Toei found it or they don't want other countries to have it.

To my recollection the Italian DVDs had great quality for SMR as well. But yeah VIZ's Sailor Moon R was awful some episodes. Like the coloring was just completely off, and way too dark and full some episodes. Plus there were a few episodes where the outlines were just completely smeared. And some episodes had ringing that was just so bad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:12 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
ChibiBoi wrote:
Ami Mizuno wrote:

To my recollection the Italian DVDs had great quality for SMR as well. But yeah VIZ's Sailor Moon R was awful some episodes. Like the coloring was just completely off, and way too dark and full some episodes. Plus there were a few episodes where the outlines were just completely smeared. And some episodes had ringing that was just so bad.

True but it doesn't change the fact Toei told them this was the only master, only to turn around and say they have a better version. Than again the company that Viz had could have dome way better but even the Italian version is not as clean from what we seen so far. Wait aren't they airing this new master on TV?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:22 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
ChibiBoi wrote:
What disappointed me the most about the R release was that the video quality issues were even noticable on the DVD release. With the first season, it seemed like the worst problems were only noticeable when you watched it on BD but I never noticed it as much on DVD but the picture quality was way too dark on the DVD release for R.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:21 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Don't get me wrong, this is still very much a Q-Tec upscale, but the details are just SO much clearer than what Viz did. It still has some smearing and glitches, though. It looks pretty ☹ good in 1080p for something that may not be from a film print.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:34 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
flash over wrote:
Don't get me wrong, this is still very much a Q-Tec upscale, but the details are just SO much clearer than what Viz did. It still has some smearing and glitches, though. It looks pretty ☹ good in 1080p for something that may not be from a film print.

Well Toei had a better master. They did not give this master to the other countries. I wonder why

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:49 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Ami Mizuno wrote:
True but it doesn't change the fact Toei told them this was the only master

Says who? Viz? We have no way of knowing that. It also has to do with how each company decides to filter/handle the video. Viz Media's chain of filters is horrible to begin with. I'm not saying Toei's masters are perfect but any artifacts/glitches/freezing frames/ that we see in the Viz version was introduced by them. If only they would have left it untouched.... but it's all too late now.

One can make the Dynit version look just like the "HD" master done by Toei since it isn't anything special. Heck, it can even be done at home :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:03 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
KAKERU wrote:
Says who? Viz? We have no way of knowing that.

Honestly, VIZ was probably to pull any response to make themselves look good. It's no different than when ADV kept saying episode 67 wasn't available because "Naoko didn't like it".

Quote:
It also has to do with how each company decides to filter/handle the video. Viz Media's chain of filters is horrible to begin with. I'm not saying Toei's masters are perfect but any artifacts/glitches/freezing frames/ that we see in the Viz version was introduced by them. If only they would have left it untouched.... but it's all too late now.

Exactly. They should've just used the original R2 master and left it as that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:48 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Yep they should just leave the master alone . I think it was also silly for them to try to make it blu ray quality.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:21 pm 
inactive
imaginationgirl wrote:
Yep they should just leave the master alone . I think it was also silly for them to try to make it blu ray quality.

Agreed. I only bought the first set, not buying anymore from them, I'm only buying Madman releases now. They are beautiful.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:44 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
I know it's been almost two months since creating the thread, but I've seen some more episodes and they look just as good!

One thing I wanted to add is that for some reason, these episodes only have the Chibi-style eyecatch, and completely omits the second one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:59 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
flash over wrote:
One thing I wanted to add is that for some reason, these episodes only have the Chibi-style eyecatch, and completely omits the second one.

First we have a missing second eyecatch on Viz's streams of Stars then some of Crystal's S3 episodes are 1 eyecatch only and now this? :|

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:34 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Leave it to Toei to give foreign market licensees inferior masters (it's happened plenty of times before). :|

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:44 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Sabrblade wrote:
Leave it to Toei to give foreign market licensees inferior masters (it's happened plenty of times before). :|

Except the missing eyecatch for R is from the Japanese "HD" broadcast so what the hell? Are their BDs not going to have it either?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:46 pm 
inactive
Sabrblade wrote:
Leave it to Toei to give foreign market licensees inferior masters

I really don't understand Toei's logic with this. At the end of the day it's their property and the quality no matter which company digitally remastered it, it will always reflect on Toei. Either for not providing high quality masters or for even allowing further botched remastering. If I were Toei I would be strict with no edits to the masters and I would provide every country the same masters as Japan. We wouldn't be here discussing the quality if they've done that since the start.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:39 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
ZetusMoon wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Leave it to Toei to give foreign market licensees inferior masters

I really don't understand Toei's logic with this. At the end of the day it's their property and the quality no matter which company digitally remastered it, it will always reflect on Toei. Either for not providing high quality masters or for even allowing further botched remastering. If I were Toei I would be strict with no edits to the masters and I would provide every country the same masters as Japan. We wouldn't be here discussing the quality if they've done that since the start.

Believe me, if Toei gave a rats' ☹ about quality, half the discussions about Sailor Moon would be vastly different. :evillaugh:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:45 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
To be fair, Viz's remaster was started long before Toei's, which didn't start broadcast until about a year after Viz's first Blu-ray. Even then, Toei would probably want to wait a while before giving their new master to anyone else. Theirs' doesn't look too good anyway. Why is Toei allergic to just doing new scans of the original 16mm film?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:47 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Seira Hazuki wrote:
Believe me, if Toei gave a rats' ☹ about quality, half the discussions about Sailor Moon would be vastly different. :evillaugh:

If Toei gave a rat's ☹ about quality, most of their cel-animated shows wouldn't be getting the Q-Tec upscale treatment right now and their digital shows like Digimon & Doremi would have much better treatment (especially Doremi since the DVDs for that show were handled terribly).

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Why is Toei allergic to just doing new scans of the original 16mm film?

They probably think their old shows won't sell as much that would make that kind of remaster worth the trouble. That's the only reason I can think of because we have seen other companies become inconsistent with cel shows too (see TMS with Lupin III part 2's upscale, Pierrot with Creamy Mami and even Toei now with Ghost Sweeper Mikami's SD Blu-rays).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:09 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
At least Ranma 1/2 and Yu Yu Hakusho got off with fresh scans of their original film. :| Those look fantastic in HD.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:12 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
To be fair, Viz's remaster was started long before Toei's, which didn't start broadcast until about a year after Viz's first Blu-ray. Even then, Toei would probably want to wait a while before giving their new master to anyone else. Theirs' doesn't look too good anyway. Why is Toei allergic to just doing new scans of the original 16mm film?

Apparently, the 16mm negatives were trashed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:22 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Ranma 1/2 was made by Studio Deen :) Urusei Yatsura look really good on BD too (Made by Studio Deen/Pierrot) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Jiic05C0M

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:16 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
The remastered colors look way off. Their skin tones are too pink. I hope they color correct it porperly if they release a blu Ray.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:21 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
How far is NHK currently into R and when can we expect S?