Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 90s anime animation errors thread.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:38 am 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
Cause we need this thread. If people are gonna pick apart Crystal's errors why don't we pick apart the animation errors of the 90s anime too? :o Remember when R gave NQS a Black Moon symbol? :o

Post subject: Re: 90s anime animation errors thread.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:35 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membership
I chose one error from each season:

From episode 3 (Sailor Moon, where are your gloves?)

From episode 182 (Siren, where did your bracelets go?)

From episode 95 (His mouth sees all...)

From episode 141 (Venus, where's your tiara and what happened to your waist?)

From episode 75 (Sailor Moon, where's the star and gems on your broach?)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:57 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SailorChibiChan wrote:
From episode 75 (Sailor Moon, where's the star and gems on your broach?)

Idk if this one counts... I remember SM and SMR used to simplify Moon's brooch all the time with either a yellow circle or a pink circle depending on who was directing the episode.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:09 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Here's a site that has some.

http://ai-no-senshi.net/information/ani ... ion-errors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:25 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
NJ_ wrote:

This is definitely a good resource, though a couple of them are either stylistic choices or misinterpretations from the viewer.

For example, the screen shot where Usagi is missing the whites of her eyes is a stylistic choice to denote how flustered she is with a single white line crossing horizontally across both her eyes. Of course they could've colored it white if they wanted to make the horizontal line black, but I doubt it would've looked as good.

The screen shot where Super Sailor Moon's left earring is silver is because her shoulder pad is tinted, which is also why her mouth is periwinkle instead of red.

I would like to extend this thread to not only include animation errors, but also wonky animation because I feel like Crystal gets a lot of flack for being off-model with their stick figures and badly-drawn frames which don't necessarily contain "errors" per se.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 52.74 KiB | Viewed 4771 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 52.37 KiB | Viewed 4770 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:01 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
If you want wonky animation, look no further than those directed by Masahiro Ando, especially in the seasons after R.

https://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/12 ... 015287.jpg
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=1389

Noticed a few bad shots during some SuperS episodes while watching on Hulu a while back and it was easy to tell that it was from that team.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:08 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
NJ_ wrote:
If you want wonky animation, look no further than those directed by Masahiro Ando, especially in the seasons after R.

Noticed a few bad shots during some SuperS episodes while watching on Hulu a while back and it was easy to tell that it was from that team.

Yeah but that's a matter of aesthetic and character design. Masahiro Ando had a very different design than most Sailor Moon directors, but in terms of animation, everything flowed well and we never got anything like these shots below.

Attachment:
image.png
image.png [ 175.08 KiB | Viewed 5654 times ]

Attachment:
image.png
image.png [ 438.37 KiB | Viewed 4752 times ]

I think that's one of the reasons why people are so quick to nitpick Crystal is because the original 90's anime was so gorgeous! Even looking at that page full of animation errors, the majority of those frames are gorgeous. Even that screenshot of Sailor Venus in that awkward position is better than her Crystal Blu-Ray cover.

I think an adequate comparison of bad screenshots between Crystal and classic is this shot of Nehelenia.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 205.93 KiB | Viewed 4810 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:38 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Honestly, almost every anime studio including Toei simplify characters that are farther from the camera. Just google Meguca.

The issue is of course with shows being in HD, these kind of shots stick out more because of how much more detail we're able to see. But it's a practice that will always exist because, relatively speaking, anime is done on the cheap, and they're going to funnel money into every shot.

Crystal's problem is that there's a ton of off model going on during close ups and wonky animation where it looked like there weren't enough key frames drawn. This was worse in Season 1 and Season 2, especially with a severe lack of sakuga (moments in an episode where the animation gets bumped up). The animation remains very poor compared to the '90s anime even with newer technologies available.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:35 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
ChibiBoi wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

Yeah but that's a matter of aesthetic and character design. Masahiro Ando had a very different design than most Sailor Moon directors, but in terms of animation, everything flowed well and we never got anything like these shots below.

Since Usagi-bot isn't allowed to post on this subforum, she's requested me to tell you that she disputes your comment regarding that pic (which's actually a pic of herself), & insists that it's also just a matter of aesthetic design, which's a subjective thing.

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:12 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Since Usagi-bot isn't allowed to post on this subforum, she's requested me to tell you that she disputes your comment regarding that pic (which's actually a pic of herself), & insists that it's also just a matter of aesthetic design, which's a subjective thing.

That's different though because Usagi-bot was an outlier from the overall aesthetic of the episode. This was closer to the actual design of the episode.
Attachment:
image.png
image.png [ 426.34 KiB | Viewed 4602 times ]

That's the difference between Ando's episodes, where the animation actually stayed true to his character design, vs. the wonky animation in Sailor Moon Crystal which strayed far from the character design within an episode. That's one of the things I didn't like about Crystal, it was pretty obvious they had different teams working on different parts of the episode with varying animation abilities lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:15 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
^ regardless of any errors or opinions concerning Crystal you or anyone else have, this thread is about the 90s anime so I suggest sticking to that in this thread

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:32 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Prince Rose wrote:
^ regardless of any errors or opinions concerning Crystal you or anyone else have, this thread is about the 90s anime so I suggest sticking to that in this thread

We are discussing the 90's anime ;) I'm saying Ando's designs in the 90's anime aren't really examples of wonky animation in a general sense. And this thread is created in direct response to the complaints about Crystal, so we have to draw parallels between Crystal and the 90's animation in order to stay on track.

For example, this is a screenshot of wonky animation which parallels the complaints that Crystal has been receiving and is not in direction relation to the aesthetic and design of the director, but rather just poor drawing skills.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 54.62 KiB | Viewed 4580 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:55 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 13 months ago
inactive
I don't really see anything wrong with that ^ shot. Ando's style is an acquired taste, but it's drawn from a lower angle so the perspective is okay. And Kaolinite's face isn't detailed because it's from afar.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:10 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
@ ChibiBoi - fine by me, carry on

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:14 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
I found these two weird frames in an episode and placed them together.
They didn't even draw faces on Neptune and Mars here...

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 10.43.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 10.43.53 PM.png [ 183.27 KiB | Viewed 4512 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:27 pm 
inactive
Eh distant shots of faces not being drawn in don't really count to me.

Chibimoon should only have two elbow ringlets on her gloves.

Sailor Moon still has her "super" earrings from her temporary upgrade after powering down.

Her rear bow is on the small of her back rather than on her belt. They never bothered to fix this for three seasons... at least when they redrew the scene for Sailor Stars, Moon's wings covered it up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:41 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
JamesHeart wrote:
I found these two weird frames in an episode and placed them together.
They didn't even draw faces on Neptune and Mars here...

I'm not sure if I consider these to be animation errors. They are small figures out of a cropped frame; I'd like to see the context of scale that the unedited frame might provide. A lot of Crystal criticism was people deep-zooming, and it felt rather unfair.

At a certain point, animators simply must reduce a figure's detail at a distance (especially in the pre-digital era). I guess these particular senshi might not have been reduced quite "gracefully" which is something I noticed about Ando eps.

Last edited by MoonYeko on Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:46 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Other: Cat
PteraRanger wrote:
I don't really see anything wrong with that ^ shot. Ando's style is an acquired taste, but it's drawn from a lower angle so the perspective is okay. And Kaolinite's face isn't detailed because it's from afar.

I think the issue with the image is Usagi's hand. Looks like she's temporarily sprouted the extra fingers from her original transformation sequence. :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:06 am 
inactive
Quote:
I think the issue with the image is Usagi's hand. Looks like she's temporarily sprouted the extra fingers from her original transformation sequence. :P

One hand has four fingers and a thumb, the other is a side view (it's rested on her other hand, which Kaolinite just struck with her hair tendril) so only the pinky and ring finger are visible. It's not the most aesthetically pleasing rendering of hands, though.

Some more actual goofs:

Part of Mercury's arm is briefly skin-colored. They fixed this in the S movie.

Mars' collar has no stripes. Looks like Kamen is not wearing gloves either.

Mars' collar has two stripes like Mercury's, but in this adaptation, she should always only have one stripe.

They colored the side of Moon's bust red like her chest bow.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:16 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Proportion error: Chibiusa's mouth starts above her nose(?)

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 55.35 KiB | Viewed 4356 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:27 am 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Other: Married to Ryo!
What about Mercury's disappearing glove during Shabon Spray?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:52 am 
inactive
People seem to be confusing artistic style with actual errors. Anyway, here's another.

The non-Moon senshi have colored-in belts when they should be white.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:07 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
PteraRanger wrote:
People seem to be confusing artistic style with actual errors.

Well that's why I made my post asking for permission to not only include animation errors, but also include bits of derp animation. This is because the thread was created in direct opposition to Crystal's criticisms of bad animation, and as far as I've been seeing, Crystal gets more critiques on its animations being off from character designs (i.e. Usagi-bot) or derp frames (i.e. Sehlr Murhs). I don't see a lot of critiques on Crystal actually containing errors such as missing bows, wrong collar design, etc. (except for the one scene where Sailor Moon performed Moon Princess Halation with the Moon Stick).

That's also why I included that post trying to differentiate artistic style (for example Ando's style) from animation derps (Usagi's fingers which I can't for the life of me decipher which hand is what and where the fingers are or from what angle we are looking at or where the side of her palm is or what is a thumb?)

But ultimately, it's up to the OP as to what the original intent of this forum was and how far they would like it to go. If they really want to only focus on errors, or if they would like to parallel the nit-picks like what people have been doing with Crystal. I'd also like a quick clarification there before posting more.

NeoQueenSerenity18 wrote:
What about Mercury's disappearing glove during Shabon Spray?

The disappearing glove has been mentioned 2 posts above yours ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:16 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
you know I like this thread its really fun XD

http://ai-no-senshi.net/img-errors/error_m01_02_big.jpg sorry image is too big

Ami-Chans bow-tie on her Skirt is the wrong color

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:32 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 72.87 KiB | Viewed 4186 times ]
Sailor Moon's bun hair clips are colored completely red

Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 49.59 KiB | Viewed 4180 times ]
And this entire episode's animation was basically on-par with Sailor Moon Crystal LOL badly proportioned stick-figure art

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:20 am 
inactive

Moon's shoulder pads are missing one piece (there should be three).

The tiara(s) are missing on Mercury and maybe Venus, too. Jupiter's lower right leg is either missing or drawn too small when hidden behind Luna.

Not sure if this counts since it's Usagi's interpretation, but Serenity has no moon symbol on her forehead.

It's common for the animators to abbreviate Usagi's brooch designs, but they switched the colors. The star on the Crystal Star should be yellow while the face plate is pink.

Does this count? Ami fetched Usagi from Mamoru's so they could go fight the cardian. Yet in the very next scene, they're back to wearing their school fuku. If it's such an emergency, did they really need to take a pit stop to change clothes?

The border around Mars' tiara gem should be the same color as the band.

Last edited by PteraRanger on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:46 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
the 2nd to last one I think was an honest mistake that animators make quite frequently as their usually tight on time and the brooch mistakes shouldn't count as drawing the brooch would be kinda tough depending on the angle of the character

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:05 am 
inactive
Well, the standard and most basic abbreviation for the Crystal Star is usually like this:

Pink plate, yellow star. I was just pointing out they switched the colors. The star design is formed by a yellow trim on pink, but outside of the star is pink with a yellow trim around the brooch lid. It's not a big deal, but a lot of these errors in general aren't. I actually think they add some charm to the show.

Last edited by PteraRanger on Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:08 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
^^^I couldn't agree more with you I love a good oops in the animation every now and then, some are funny as hell lol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:09 am 
inactive
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
^^^I couldn't agree more with you I love a good oops in the animation every now and then, some are funny as hell lol

Yeah, they are amusing. Which is why I find the fights over the Crystal home releases not being corrected a bit entertaining.