Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 11:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Why can't Viz dub the songs?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:11 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Umino wrote:
The original Cloverway dub also dubbed most of the insert songs.

they did huh what did they use i dont remember there songs jsut the old dic ones

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:33 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
^For S they had Ai No Senshi dubbed on episode 102 but it was only for the edited TV/VHS version, not on the DVD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4RNUbJfq8o

For SuperS, they had it's first ED song dubbed for the 2 episodes it played as an insert song (158 & 159):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpuhIewGJbY

And Sailor Team No Theme was also dubbed for episode 161.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hgChsxZtp0

Both of these are on the Pioneer DVDs.

Last edited by NJ_ on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:42 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
any versiosn with out the characters speaking hard to hear the song over there voices

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:14 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
aceina wrote:
any versiosn with out the characters speaking hard to hear the song over there voices
Nope. The three songs Cloverway dubbed were never released or played outside of those episodes.

Additionally, there was another song that played in the Cloverway dub, "Azusa Nigou", in episode 99, but which was undubbed and left in Japanese in both the edited TV/VHS version and the uncut DVD version, the only insert song in the Cloverway dub to not have been dubbed in any version.

Though, there were also two more songs in the Cloverway dub that were partially dubbed, but only because they were actually sung by the characters. Mimete sang part of "I am Sailor Moon" in episode 114, and Mina sang part of "Route Venus" in episode 154. Neither sang the full version of either song, just little snippits of each.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:18 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sabrblade wrote:
Additionally, there was another song that played in the Cloverway dub, "Azusa Nigou", in episode 99, but which was undubbed and left in Japanese in both the edited TV/VHS version and the uncut DVD version, the only insert song in the Cloverway dub to not have been dubbed in any version.

Onaji Namida wo Wakeatte and Rashiku Ikimasho were left undubbed in episode 144 as well. Both are hard to here, but they're there.

Route Venus was barely dubbed. None of the lyrics were audible, and you could see hear some of the Japanese singing. :confused:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:36 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
So what are the chances Viz is going to dub the Three Lights' songs when they get to Stars?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:38 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Neon Genesis wrote:
So what are the chances Viz is going to dub the Three Lights' songs when they get to Stars?
They dubbed both of Rei's songs in R, so probably very likely.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:12 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NJ_ wrote:
^For S they had Ai No Senshi dubbed on episode 102 but it was only for the edited TV/VHS version, not on the DVD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4RNUbJfq8o

Are you sure about that, because I could swear it's on the DVD version?

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:30 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:

It's definitely only dubbed in the edited version of the episode. The uncut version (as released on DVD) leaves the song in Japanese.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:38 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
I am sure that mexican story about "Naoko" don't giving permission is totally FALSE.
There is a guy in youtube that upload the recordings for Otome No Policy and Moon Princess he did for the DVD's claiming that the owner of Capital refuse to pay for the songs and for the web page he did for the releases.
Also... if Naoko "didn't give permission", then why they use Heart Moving FOR ALL THE SEASONS? I guess she prefer the japanese versions of the songs, not the SAME song for all the series. It doesn't make sense.

Anyway, It's a shame we don't get translated songs, but neither the original japanese versions.

As for Crystal, I think everything is negotiable. For example Saint Seiya Hades in DVDs has japanese openings and endings, but in Mexico is illegal to broadcast any other language than spanish, so ALL the songs have to be dubbed (or deleted). So if TOEI is planning to broadcast Crystal for free, they have to dub the songs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:42 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
cuau_cg wrote:
I am sure that mexican story about "Naoko" don't giving permission is totally FALSE.
There is a guy in youtube that upload the recordings for Otome No Policy and Moon Princess he did for the DVD's claiming that the owner of Capital refuse to pay for the songs and for the web page he did for the releases.
Also... if Naoko "didn't give permission", then why they use Heart Moving FOR ALL THE SEASONS? I guess she prefer the japanese versions of the songs, not the SAME song for all the series. It doesn't make sense.

Do you have the link to the videos?

I don't really buy the rumors about Naoko either. If anything, it was probably Toei being difficult. I also don't believe that Naoko "approved" the English cast for the Viz dub. :confused:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:22 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I read somewhere the people who wrote the songs didn't want to give them the rights to dub the songs. I mean Naoko only wrote one or two songs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:27 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Umino wrote:
cuau_cg wrote:

Do you have the link to the videos?

I don't really buy the rumors about Naoko either. If anything, it was probably Toei being difficult. I also don't believe that Naoko "approved" the English cast for the Viz dub. :confused:

Yeah of course.

This is the explanation where they say the owner of Capital 8 is the one that didn't want to pay for the recordings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smkzBYySlVI&list

This are the 2 ending originally recorded for the dvds:
Moon Princess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi4lkLGTGXs
Otome no Policy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2jm3oeIQBQ

This are the songs by Marisa DeLille tribute album to Sailor Moon (totally different lyrics and voice recordings):
Moon Princess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO2dv-81maI
Otome No Policy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2jm3oeIQBQ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:18 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Umino wrote:
MementoNepenthe wrote:

It's definitely only dubbed in the edited version of the episode. The uncut version (as released on DVD) leaves the song in Japanese.

You're right, I just checked. How weird. They kept the dub songs in the SuperS DVD release, why not for S? :googly:

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:20 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Shows how long it has been since I watched the Optimum dub of S and SuperS. I swore to God "Tear our hearts in two" was in the uncut dub but nope it was Ai no Senshi untranslated and left as it.

But I also checked SuperS which still has "Love is in my heart" and "Let's Fight"

Not that I'm complaining as I might be the only Moonie in the world who prefers the dubbed
"Love is in my heart" over "Watashi-tachi ni Naritakute"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:07 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
Shows how long it has been since I watched the Optimum dub of S and SuperS. I swore to God "Tear our hearts in two" was in the uncut dub but nope it was Ai no Senshi untranslated and left as it.

But I also checked SuperS which still has "Love is in my heart" and "Let's Fight"

Not that I'm complaining as I might be the only Moonie in the world who prefers the dubbed
"Love is in my heart" over "Watashi-tachi ni Naritakute"

I don't prefer them, but I would love to hear a standalone "Let's Fight." I sometimes sing the sailor team theme in 3 languages at karaoke. XD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:11 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
MementoNepenthe wrote:
Umino wrote:
MementoNepenthe wrote:

You're right, I just checked. How weird. They kept the dub songs in the SuperS DVD release, why not for S? :googly:

Something else that was weird was with the episode titles on the DVDs, when it came to those with the characters' names, S only had the Japanese names while SuperS had both. ^_^'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:10 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Well I saw the R Movie today, and for some reason in Make Up Sailor Sensei short, they don't dub "Eien No Melody" even though it was dubbed in episode 54. Probably licensing issues that they didn't want to bother with for a pre movie short showing a clip compared to an episode of the series.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:44 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
zttmoon wrote:
Well I saw the R Movie today, and for some reason in Make Up Sailor Sensei short, they don't dub "Eien No Melody" even though it was dubbed in episode 54. Probably licensing issues that they didn't want to bother with for a pre movie short showing a clip compared to an episode of the series.
More likely to do with the fact that the song overlaps from being sung onscreen to playing in the background while Rei speaks dialogue onscreen, and that it might have been too difficult to get around that on a technical level.

Or the fact that it would have been awkward as the only character song to be played in English while those for Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, and Endymion remained in Japanese.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:57 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
sucks the clover way songs cant be heard properly

oh and some one mentioend the R movie dub is the viz dub of that out or did they mean the old dub

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:14 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
aceina wrote:

oh and some one mentioend the R movie dub is the viz dub of that out or did they mean the old dub

I meant the VIZ dub.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:38 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
zttmoon wrote:
aceina wrote:

I meant the VIZ dub.

biz has dubbed the R Movie?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:24 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
aceina wrote:
zttmoon wrote:
aceina wrote:

I meant the VIZ dub.

biz has dubbed the R Movie?
It just came out in theaters. I saw it this past Thursday night.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:23 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
oh it sone of those times they put it in theaters how long will it be there i want to see it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:29 am 
Stella
Stella
I wish they would dub the songs. I think they would sound good in English. Heck if I had my way I would have taken out Maboroshi no Ginzuishou in the scene where Usagi is revealed as the Moon Princess and replace it with My Only Love. That song was so much better for that scene.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:41 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
I feel so weird being a Dic fan and thinking Mabaroshi no Ginzuishou was a much better song.

Mostly because Mabaroshi no Ginzuishou sounds timeless. My only love couldn't sound more 90s pop hit if it tried.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:50 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
MariaTenebre wrote:
I wish they would dub the songs. I think they would sound good in English.
I both agree and disagree at the same time. The agreement comes from the Viz dubbed version of "Eien no Melody" being pretty nice, while the disagreement comes from the Viz "dubbed" version of "Moonlight Densetsu" being completely awful.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:34 am 
Stella
Stella
Sabrblade wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:
I wish they would dub the songs. I think they would sound good in English.
I both agree and disagree at the same time. The agreement comes from the Viz dubbed version of "Eien no Melody" being pretty nice, while the disagreement comes from the Viz "dubbed" version of "Moonlight Densetsu" being completely awful.

Well if they did them well I think they could be awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:40 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Personally, I like the songs undubbed. Take, for example, Haruhi Suzumiya. When the concert is playing, would you rather hear her Japanese voice or her English voice? I'd go for the Japanese voice any day. Similarly, Ghost in the Shell: SAC had this sort of technique: the Tachikomas had their English voices whenever they spoke, but when they sang, their Japanese voices are kept. It's a rather wise move, tbh.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:51 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I find it so weird and really distracting when a character sings with their "Japanese voice". When I saw the R movie, everyone laughed when Rei spoke in English and then began singing in Japanese. It just looks silly.