Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:25 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: [US] Sailor Moon S Viz Media Dub/Blu-Ray
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:51 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 35.74 KiB | Viewed 6011 times ]

Only 2 more months now until Part 1 gets an official release!

The official Sailor Moon NA Twitter account also tweeted out an image with the words "Sailor" something on it, saying they were doing some fall planning and working on something for the future.
https://twitter.com/sailor_moon_na/stat ... 2500519936
With the release date of the Blu-Rays so close, I'm almost certain it's regarding the Moonlight Party since there are also cards written that say "1 min slate" and "send q's"

I'd like this thread to be a compilation of any new developments before the release of the Blu-Ray and dub, as well as any critiques regarding video/audio and packaging once things are released.

Attachment:
image.png
image.png [ 126.08 KiB | Viewed 5957 times ]

Also, Sailor Moon NA tweeted that they took complaints regarding the first two seasons into consideration. Let's discuss any positive improvements we notice from this release (hopefully the video quality improved).

Currently the pre-orders are set for a November 15 release. Have you pre-ordered yet? I may not buy it until December, since Rightstuf's Sailor Moon R pre-orders were riddled with mistakes.

Post subject: Re: [US] Sailor Moon S Viz Media Dub/Blu-Ray
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:42 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
ChibiBoi wrote:
Also, Sailor Moon NA tweeted that they took complaints regarding the first two seasons into consideration. Let's discuss any positive improvements we notice from this release (hopefully the video quality improved).

Well the trailer doesn't show that they did since it looks the exact same as on Hulu.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:54 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
NJ_ wrote:
ChibiBoi wrote:

Well the trailer doesn't show that they did since it looks the exact same as on Hulu.
I feel like this was brought up before. Wasn't it said or speculated that the trailer merely used the Hulu version video instead of the newer quality version video? This discussion seems very familiar.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:46 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sabrblade wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
ChibiBoi wrote:

I feel like this was brought up before. Wasn't it said or speculated that the trailer merely used the Hulu version video instead of the newer quality version video? This discussion seems very familiar.

Another proof that the trailer was the same quality as Hulu: Sandy Fox tweeted a pic of her SuperS dub script, before deleting it, that they were already into dubbing SuperS, and THAT was sometime earlier this year or late last year...around Winter. It was around that time that, I think, Viz made the trailer for S...but after seeing so many complaints of the quality of its eps onward, they never went back and fixed those in S (yeah, I kept checking those while they continued to roll out, during SuperS & Stars seasons), and waited until the new masters from Toei arrive. That was one the big reasons why Viz took longer to get S out, than in previous releases.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:41 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Moon Princess
Is Toei keeping the best quality masters away from everyone else? :o Do they have every piece of Sailor Moon media on flash drives hidden in a safe somewhere? I think they're saving the best quality masters for some really good Japan only bluray release that has everything. :o

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:58 am 
Luna
Luna
NeoQueenSerenity18 wrote:
Is Toei keeping the best quality masters away from everyone else? :o Do they have every piece of Sailor Moon media on flash drives hidden in a safe somewhere? I think they're saving the best quality masters for some really good Japan only bluray release that has everything. :o

No, Italy and Austrslia also got really good masters, so did Germany and France. I really hope the quality improves. I'm watching Sailor Moon R part 2 right now though and the quality seems better than part 1. There are still instances during scene changes where mouths/other parts of the frame are missing though. But the coloring is nice and the sharpness is nice. The only other complaint I have is the grain freezing in frame (almost like a gif) and the stair stepping that occurs a lot on the line art. Hopefully these problems will go away. Hopefully they reworked their filter process to get rid of those problems, because their masters seem fine.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:14 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Moon Princess
ChibiBoi wrote:

No, Italy and Austrslia also got really good masters, so did Germany and France. I really hope the quality improves. I'm watching Sailor Moon R part 2 right now though and the quality seems better than part 1. There are still instances during scene changes where mouths/other parts of the frame are missing though. But the coloring is nice and the sharpness is nice. The only other complaint I have is the grain freezing in frame (almost like a gif) and the stair stepping that occurs a lot on the line art. Hopefully these problems will go away. Hopefully they reworked their filter process to get rid of those problems, because their masters seem fine.

Ok, you see I don't notice things like video quality, I don't pick apart anime frame by frame or subtitle by subtitle. I don't care about derpy faces either. I just enjoy Sailor Moon in any form. I think it's nice to see some fans actually care about getting a quality product. As for the animation errors, the ones in 90s anime were funny and didn't really bother me and weren't as bad as Crystal putting Queen Serenity in the wrong dress in one episode, giving Queen Serenity the wrong color hair in the very first opening, or Usagi using the Moon Stick instead of the Cutie Moon Rod during a Moon Princess Halation sequence. Compared to the 90s anime errors, Crystal had a lot of bigger errors. :o So, my question is this, does Toei have everything 90s anime Sailor Moon and Crystal released on hidden in a safe on flash drives including unreleased stuff that was only shown once or stuff that has never seen the light of day like the Saban Moon pilot? :o Is that why we haven't been getting any Japanese extras? Or is there just lack of them? Or is Toei planning some big Japanese Sailor Moon bluray release? :o

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:25 am 
Luna
Luna
Ok, you see I don't notice things like video quality, I don't pick apart anime frame by frame or subtitle by subtitle. I don't care about derpy faces either. I just enjoy Sailor Moon in any form. I think it's nice to see some fans actually care about getting a quality product. As for the animation errors, the ones in 90s anime were funny and didn't really bother me and weren't as bad as Crystal putting Queen Serenity in the wrong dress in one episode, giving Queen Serenity the wrong color hair in the very first opening, or Usagi using the Moon Stick instead of the Cutie Moon Rod during a Moon Princess Halation sequence. Compared to the 90s anime errors, Crystal had a lot of bigger errors. :o So, my question is this, does Toei have everything 90s anime Sailor Moon and Crystal released on hidden in a safe on flash drives including unreleased stuff that was only shown once or stuff that has never seen the light of day like the Saban Moon pilot? :o Is that why we haven't been getting any Japanese extras? Or is there just lack of them? Or is Toei planning some big Japanese Sailor Moon bluray release? :o

I just don't wanna see anything like this ever again:
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 42.23 KiB | Viewed 6054 times ]

Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 53.41 KiB | Viewed 6066 times ]

This was quite possibly the worst quality Sailor Moon has ever looked. Thanks goodness I only paid $38 for this set. The Hulu quality for Sailor Moon S looks better than this, so it makes me hopeful for the Blu-ray release.

As for the extras, I don't know, but I think a few people have tried answering your question in a few of the other threads you posted in. Honestly, I've watched the laser disk extras and they're very boring. I'd rather Viz. spend their money on trying to provide a quality video release than trying to get rights to extras from Japan.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:50 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membership
When is this streaming on Yahoo/HuLu??????????????????????????????????????

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:58 am 
Luna
Luna
napy666 wrote:
When is this streaming on Yahoo/HuLu??????????????????????????????????????

If it doesn't to come by next month, I'm thinking either 1. They're still working on improving the quality like they said they were going to on Twitter or 2. They lied and they're trying to hide it so people don't cancel their pre-orders.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:01 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Looks like Viz is using different covers now

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Sailor-Mo ... lu-ray-DVD (the LE with coin cover, apparently not final)

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Sailor-Mo ... on-Blu-ray (the LE without coin)

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Sailor-Mo ... lu-ray-DVD
http://www.rightstufanime.com/Sailor-Moon-S-Part-1-DVD

Image Image

Back covers (same in all)

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:18 am 
Luna
Luna
At least we have some development! I'm glad for that. I think the LE cover with the Holy Grail looks great. The standard edition cover, not so much LOL I just want to see the video quality already!

Side note: I really appreciate how the corners of the covers are modified each season. The addition of the 2 stars from Sailor Moon R, then the addition of an extra set of frills for Sailor Moon R, and also the dots at the center top edge of the covers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:34 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I just watched the trailer again, and it said "Available uncut for the first time ever," which is not true at all for this season. O.o Unless you count the next episode previews and proper OPs/EDs (I don't), the original Pioneer DVDs were uncut too. Heck, even for the last seasons, we had the uncut sub-only ADV boxsets, but at least this was the first time those seasons had an uncut dub. The original dub for S/SuperS was technically uncut.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:26 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membership
I want to see it in the new English dub on HuLu/Yahoo already, WHY are they taking so long? If they are taking this long what's going to happen with Super S and Stars in English? :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:52 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Well what they didn't keep Sailor Uranus or Neptune's relationship or tigereye's crossing dressing in the dvds so maybe that's why they mean uncut. They didn't keep the relationships or the characters the way they should be

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:23 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Ami Mizuno wrote:
Well what they didn't keep Sailor Uranus or Neptune's relationship or tigereye's crossing dressing in the dvds so maybe that's why they mean uncut. They didn't keep the relationships or the characters the way they should be

I think you mean Fish Eye's crossdressing.

Also, there's a difference between a release being uncut and a release being unedited/uncensored.

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:12 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
The dialogue was censored, but nothing was actually cut on the DVDs...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:29 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 7 months ago
inactive
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The dialogue was censored, but nothing was actually cut on the DVDs...

I disagree, but on terms other than censorship. My Pioneer DVDs (S season for sure) had varying degrees of cropping. On some episodes the loss of picture was truly noticeable, unbalancing the characters' positions, artistic framing, and all. The part during Moon's henshin when she raises one foot to the top of the screen became my test mark for how much damage had been done. :sick:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:58 am 
Luna
Luna
MoonYeko wrote:
I disagree, but on terms other than censorship. My Pioneer DVDs (S season for sure) had varying degrees of cropping. On some episodes the loss of picture was truly noticeable, unbalancing the characters' positions, artistic framing, and all. The part during Moon's henshin when she raises one foot to the top of the screen became my test mark for how much damage had been done. :sick:

That is somehing that ACTUALLY has to do with the difference in masters. Issues in cropping usually arise from different transfers. ADV had that too. It's only considered censoring or cutting if chunks of the frame are cut out intentionally to get rid of something they don't want you to see. I think this whole "available uncut for the first time" thing is just a marketing strategy since it includes the previews.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:09 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Am I the only one who just doesnt like the english covers/logos ?

Oh well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:05 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Other: Cat
papillonrose wrote:
Am I the only one who just doesnt like the english covers/logos ?

Oh well.

Nah, I'm not a big fan either. They're not ugly, but they're very plain, and I still don't like that using Albiero's art isn't actually a truthful representation of what the anime looks like.

The back of the covers are kinda nice, though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:09 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I'm not bothered by the coverart but I do agree it is a bit plain and I think Pioneer's original DVD boxset had much nicer art. I don't know why Viz couldn't have used art from the Japanese DVDs when they were able to do it for Crystal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:46 pm 
Luna
Luna
Neon Genesis wrote:
I'm not bothered by the coverart but I do agree it is a bit plain and I think Pioneer's original DVD boxset had much nicer art. I don't know why Viz couldn't have used art from the Japanese DVDs when they were able to do it for Crystal.

Might have a lot to do with rights and stuff. The original artwork for Sailor Moon S is probably my favorite but it's also 20 years old. None of the new Sailor Moon DVD releases across the world have been allowed to use past artwork that was used for the Japanese releases.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:11 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
It's a shame since the Japanese cover art while a bit simple itself looked very nice and well done.

Attachments:
SailorMoonR06.jpg
SailorMoonR06.jpg [ 107.89 KiB | Viewed 4275 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:59 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Reposting from this thread:

Seen wrote:
I'm under the impression that international releases have no choice but to use Marco Albiero's art for some reason.

That reason being that it's all that Toei gives them. It was sorta covered in the behind the scenes extra on Viz's first set, they were given 5 style guides (which is more than what companies usually get for anime artwork) and all of it is Albiero's designs.

(Click on the last 5 images for better quality of each, from Albiero's Twitter.

As for the movies, that's a special case because as seen with Italy, France & most recently with Poland, everyone is allowed to use the theatrical poster art for their covers so depending on how Viz & Kaze Germany releases them, I wouldn't be surprised if they use them too.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It also beats the art that ADV did for their single DVD covers!

In ADV's defense and according to Brady Hartel (former ADV guy who now does work for some Discotek releases), they didn't have much art to work with then which I imagine affected all of their releases.

One of the extras on FUNimation's DBZ Blu-ray releases go into detail on the use of artwork which is interesting because it's the same for everyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:22 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Those are nice pics, but where is Sailor Mars in the Stars photo?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:32 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Mercurylover wrote:
Those are nice pics, but where is Sailor Mars in the Stars photo?

Hidden behind Eternal Sailor Moon's wings? :P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:31 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
How can he forget a character? :eeklez:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:18 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Apparently everyone involved with Toei hates Sailor Mars for some reason :P

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:04 pm 
Luna
Luna
Moonlight Party on November 11!! And they said it's going to be different this time around... interesting.

https://twitter.com/sailor_moon_na/stat ... 4297723904
https://twitter.com/sailor_moon_na/stat ... 5943471104

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next