Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 3:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The New Dub of The Movies
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:32 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I hope VIZ releases a limited edition Box set. When they release R, I would love it if we get a limited edition box set, with place holders for S and Super S movies, like they do for part 1 of each season set.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:01 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Not sure. Rightstuf doesn't have a picture. We have DVD and than a Blu-ray but no limited edition

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:44 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Sabrblade wrote:
There were definitely black side bars on the screen when I saw it, but I wasn't sure if it was completely 4:3 since some of the top and bottom still looked cropped off like in the 16:9 version. And I was sure that the top and bottom had a reasonably longer width than the height of the left and right sides, even if the width didn't span the entire width of the screen itself.

Assuming it's not a crop of a crop, I'd love to see a remaster of Sailor Moon's 4:3 aspect ratio versions of the movies. Even if they weren't meant to be see normally, it's still great being able to see as much of the art as possible. Not to mention they could release both versions on a single Bluray disk.

Umino wrote:
Mostly likely both. The original Italian dub did use their dubbed version of Eien no Melody. The other vocal songs were replaced with other music from the R movie (most of which were used inappropriately).

It would've been neat if Viz just had the girls dub their own songs.

Stuff like this makes me wish they'd release some sort of album of dubbed insert and character songs for the fans. Other countries managed to release similar stuff recently, so I can't imagine it'd be impossible for the Viz. Just as long as they manage to get actual experienced lyric writers to convey their original meanings as close as possible without making it sound awkward or clunky. P-:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:48 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Seen2 wrote:
Stuff like this makes me wish they'd release some sort of album of dubbed insert and character songs for the fans. Other countries managed to release similar stuff recently, so I can't imagine it'd be impossible for the Viz. Just as long as they manage to get actual experienced lyric writers to convey their original meanings as close as possible without making it sound awkward or clunky. P-:
That reminds me of that time Cristina Vee recorded a dubbed version of Moon Revenge.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:52 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Posted yesterday by IGN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:26 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I went to the "subbed" screening last night in NYC. They played the English dub by accident, until everyone nearly rioted. By the time the main feature was starting, they cut it off and played the Make Up! special from the start, in Japanese.

It was a fun experience, and the audience seemed like a lot of fun (something that's rare for Sailor Moon fans tbh). The girl sitting behind me was super cool. She was the first person to jump up and complain to the staff when the dub came on. What's interesting is that a few people in the theater had never seen the movie before! I thought that was really cool, and I was a little envious.

For whatever reason, the credits were left completely in Japanese for the subbed showings. The English dub had a separate master which had text overlays, or the credits completely translated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:41 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Umino wrote:
I went to the "subbed" screening last night in NYC.
Anything noteworthy in the translation of the subtitled version?

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:51 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Sabrblade wrote:
Anything noteworthy in the translation of the subtitled version?

The credits were partially subtitled. Also, I never noticed this before, but Viz translated the magazine as "Nakayosi" as oppose to "Nakayoshi". This seems weird for a Western audience, but that seems to be the official English spelling the company has settled on. They've used that spelling for decades on official merch.

"Xenian" was properly subtitled.

None of the vocal songs were subtitled.

Everything else is pretty much the same from the usual Viz subs. No honorifics, "Papa" and "Mama" became "Dad" and "Mom". Chibiusa's final line has "Mama" translated as "Mother" (which is appropriate, though I think Pioneer used "Mama") The girls are still referred to as "Guardians".

Nothing really out of the ordinary. I didn't notice any (notable) differences from the Pioneer subs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:59 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Umino wrote:
Chibiusa's final line has "Mama" translated as "Mother"
What did they translate her final line as? In the new dub, it was nicely adapted into something like "Sailor Moon is like a mother to us all."

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:15 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I honestly can't remember. I want to say it was "Sailor Moon is everyone's mother". All I remember is the entire audience laughed at what was a very meaning line.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:29 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Umino wrote:
I went to the "subbed" screening last night in NYC. They played the English dub by accident, until everyone nearly rioted. By the time the main feature was starting, they cut it off and played the Make Up! special from the start, in Japanese.

Was your showing of the subtitled version in full screen or wide screen? When I saw the dubbed version in theaters, it was in wide screen, but Sailor Tortilla from YouTube said when she saw it subtitled, it was in full screen. Now we're wondering if Viz has two master copies of the R movie.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:00 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
It was in widescreen.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:22 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
There was one thing I forgot... Luna and Artemis talk about Xenian flower as if it's a species. They refer to her as "A Xenian Flower", rather than "The Xenian Flower". My memory maybe foggy, but I always assumed Xenian was the only of her kind. I could totally be wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:43 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Umino wrote:
There was one thing I forgot... Luna and Artemis talk about Xenian flower as if it's a species. They refer to her as "A Xenian Flower", rather than "The Xenian Flower". My memory maybe foggy, but I always assumed Xenian was the only of her kind. I could totally be wrong.
I always thought it was a species, even in the Pioneer dub and sub.

Though, one thing Viz did change about the flower was the kind of people that it targeted. In the original, it went after those with "weak hearts", while in the redub, that was changed to those with "weak minds" instead.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:49 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Umino wrote:
All I remember is the entire audience laughed at what was a very meaning line.

It's a weird line without the context, like with a big chunk of Ikuhara's work. Although it's nice to see something basically say that this movie really does serve as a giant showcase as to why Usagi is the most qualified to be the leader, and more than just an incompetent crybaby like most of her detractors accuse her of being.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:12 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Seen2 wrote:
Umino wrote:
All I remember is the entire audience laughed at what was a very meaning line.

It's a weird line without the context, like with a big chunk of Ikuhara's work. Although it's nice to see something basically say that this movie really does serve as a giant showcase as to why Usagi is the most qualified to be the leader, and more than just an incompetent crybaby like most of her detractors accuse her of being.

Usagi is definitely one of those characters who, I think, suffers from "slow growth." She definitely does grow as a character throughout the entire series, but if you're only watching it episode by episode, it's easy to lose sight of her how she's changed and to think she's just a goody-two-shoes crybaby who suffers from a bad case of "main character syndrome" (i.e., not having anything really particularly interesting, but always being better than everyone else... just because).

All that negativity out of the way, though... I don't think that's how she is at all. Rather, I think that she really DOES grow a lot throughout the series... it's just really slow. Kind of like how you never notice your own kid getting taller, but if you look back at a year ago, or even six months ago, they're totally different. Since Usagi is the focus of the series, they can't really have too many episodes where she changes dramatically, but if you look at the character you first see in episode one, struggling to try to save her friend, and the Sailor Soldier who stands up against Wiseman two seasons later, it's pretty obvious she's grown into her role.

Clumsy though she may be, I think she grew out of "incompetent" pretty early in the series, no matter what people may say. =p

As for Xenian?

From reading Ikuhara's quotes, I get the impression that there is one Xenian (i.e., not a species), and that she is trying to spread herself throughout the galaxy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:35 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Sabrblade wrote:
Though, one thing Viz did change about the flower was the kind of people that it targeted. In the original, it went after those with "weak hearts", while in the redub, that was changed to those with "weak minds" instead.

That was the same for the subbed version as well. It's not incorrect, but I think "weak heart" is more appropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:09 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Umino wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

That was the same for the subbed version as well. It's not incorrect, but I think "weak heart" is more appropriate.
Yeah, "weak hearts" makes it sounds like the flower preys on the kinds of souls that it can manipulate and exploit, which sounds diabolical. While "weak minds" instead makes it sounds like the flower goes after idiots and dimwits, which is far less engaging.

And between the two, Fiore fits much more the former rather than the latter.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:44 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Moon Princess
I'm really happy that the Regal Cinema in Crystal Lake, IL will be getting the R movie. I probably won't go again, since I went to the showing in Elgin on Monday.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:13 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Sabrblade wrote:
Umino wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

Yeah, "weak hearts" makes it sounds like the flower preys on the kinds of souls that it can manipulate and exploit, which sounds diabolical. While "weak minds" instead makes it sounds like the flower goes after idiots and dimwits, which is far less engaging.

And between the two, Fiore fits much more the former rather than the latter.

Yeah, Fiore is extremely emotionally fragile and vulnerable. Not actually stupid. Maybe a translation like "feeble minded" would have worked.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:53 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I got to go to one of the showings at Newport KY, it was so good! The new dub is excellent, and the picture quality is amazing. And the best part is that I got to take my daughter to watch it with me. It's amazing to watch something that you loved as a kid and look over and see your kid grinning ear to ear with excitement. And she was dressed as Sailor Moon. My sister went as well, and she really enjoyed the movie too. I hope that they show the next two movies in theaters as well :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:09 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Saw the R movie dub in Elgin, IL with my friend on Monday. It was good, though I'm still not used to Stephanie Sheh as Usagi. But, I loved Mamoru's voice and the Xenian Flower's voice. People laughed, they commented, they sang along to Moonlight Densetsu, it was great. :D Both me and my friend got the Mars art cards. Now the R movie dub is playing at the local movie theatre in Crystal Lake, IL. My dad works at the movie theatre and he managed to get me the other four art cards, the mini poster, and a full size poster which I didn't even know existed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:58 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
NeoQueenSerenity18 wrote:
My dad works at the movie theatre and he managed to get me the other four art cards, the mini poster, and a full size poster which I didn't even know existed.

Nice! The cards are going for a lot on Ebay right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:36 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Umino wrote:
NeoQueenSerenity18 wrote:
My dad works at the movie theatre and he managed to get me the other four art cards, the mini poster, and a full size poster which I didn't even know existed.

Nice! The cards are going for a lot on Ebay right now.

Thanks, I'm thinking of opening up a thread on here to give away my extra Mars art card.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:09 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
when will the R movie leave theaters so i can purchase it on amazon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:23 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
More theaters have been added. One in my town will be playing it this Friday! If the showtime agrees with my work schedule for that day, I just might be able to see the movie a second time!

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:15 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
I just got back from seeing the movie in theaters a second time. This time, the picture quality was a little better. More clearer video for the most part, but still several fuzzy shots, such as the CGI asteroid still being completely fuzzy no matter what.

The sound quality, however, a bit of a disappointment. When I saw it the first time, the audio was very audible and impressively loud, with the dialogue, sound effects, and music all synced together equally, much like the higher quality of Viz's dub of Crystal. This time, however, the sound was noticeably quieter, and the dialogue ended up overshadowing the music and sound effects in places, much like the poorer sound quality of Viz's dub of the anime.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:39 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
http://sailormoonnews.com/2017/02/06/th ... march-1st/

Theaters for Canada are up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:16 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
http://www.elevenarts.net/sailormoon/

More theaters are added for both Canada & US.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:55 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Canadian here, seeing it on Wednesday.

I picked up my ticket today to find out there was only one ticket left, meaning it's sold out! I'm very excited to see it and plan to watch the DiC dub immediately before for comparison.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next