Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: The New Dub of The Movies
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:25 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The thing that confuses me, is that Toei is very strict with the handling of their series. They're the ones who supply the artwork, so the fact they'd supply this to Viz is just downright bizarre. Clearly it's not Marco, and it's none of their in-house artists. It's just a really strange piece of artwork. It's not exactly terrible, it just doesn't look professional and the whole mockup is lazy.

It also makes zero sense they wouldn't just provide Viz with the original movie poster, or instruct Viz to use some of Marco's artwork.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:04 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Am I the only one that likes that pic?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:32 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
JamesHeart wrote:
Am I the only one that likes that pic?

I think the idea behind it is good (all the girls sitting on a hill of Xenian flowers), but not the execution.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:47 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
In case people forgot, here's the original DVD coverart from Pioneer. Talk about a downgrade...

Attachments:
Cov-4341-sailor-moon-r-integrale-anglais.jpg
Cov-4341-sailor-moon-r-integrale-anglais.jpg [ 113.06 KiB | Viewed 1044 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:49 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
And here's the subbed VHS cover art.

Attachments:
-Sailor-Moon-R-[VHS].jpg
-Sailor-Moon-R-[VHS].jpg [ 37.97 KiB | Viewed 997 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:11 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Even that looks better than what Viz is putting out. :googly:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:47 pm 
Lapis Lunaris
Lapis Lunaris
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I don't think it looks that bad, to be honest... I mean it's not great persay, but it shows what the movie's about at least. The original poster's a striking image and all, but it's just a group shot of the characters.
Then again, I'm also a Sonic fan, so maybe I just have bad opinions... :mischief:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:41 am 
Luna
Luna
Somewhere out there, the artist of this cover is crying hahaha I don't mind the cover, I think it'll look cute once I see it in person with the shimmer and everything. My main issue with the cover is the characters are not dynamic at all, in pose, positioning on the cover, interaction, everything. But the colors are cute.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:31 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
For me the issue isn't even really the cover itself but just the way Toei and the American anime industry continue to keep abusing us devoted Sailor Moon fans like this and continue to take advantage of us and still not responding at all to any of the criticism about this from the fans. The anime industry just assumes they can treat us however horribly they want to and we Moonies will just go along with it. But I feel like Moonies are finally putting our feet down on this and not willing to let this slide. And that they're doing this to the most beloved of the Sailor Moon movies just makes it hurt even more, especially since virtually everyone else got the Japanese cover with no issue. But also this just looks like a lower quality fanart copy of the superior Japanese coverart. But I've even seen a fanart copy of the Viz cover that actually looks a lot better than Viz. https://twitter.com/outersaturn/status/ ... 9670045697

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:02 am 
Planeta
Planeta
I don't really mind the cover but it could be better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:17 am 
Luna
Luna
Neon Genesis wrote:
For me the issue isn't even really the cover itself but just the way Toei and the American anime industry continue to keep abusing us devoted Sailor Moon fans like this and continue to take advantage of us and still not responding at all to any of the criticism about this from the fans. The anime industry just assumes they can treat us however horribly they want to and we Moonies will just go along with it. But I feel like Moonies are finally putting our feet down on this and not willing to let this slide. And that they're doing this to the most beloved of the Sailor Moon movies just makes it hurt even more, especially since virtually everyone else got the Japanese cover with no issue. But also this just looks like a lower quality fanart copy of the superior Japanese coverart. But I've even seen a fanart copy of the Viz cover that actually looks a lot better than Viz. https://twitter.com/outersaturn/status/ ... 9670045697

I love this. If Marco Albiero was allowed to trace the old Sailor Moon artwork, they certainly could've gotten someone else to trace the movie artwork and call it new. It's beautiful.

Sera-V wrote:
Anyone here not realise that they basically used the Japanese R movie poster art for season 2 part 2?.....

:roll:

Yeah Marco is the king of tracing old 90's Sailor Moon artwork lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:04 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
^ I am against them using the movie poster because they already used a variation of it for season 2 part 2. A lot of people seem to overlook that or simply don't care.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:37 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
The cover just doesn't look official. The editing and placement is just really unprofessional. The characters, especially Fiore, look extremely off model. I would've preferred they just used the movie posters they used with a silhouette of Sailor Moon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:48 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Another thing, what will this mean for the S & SuperS films? Did Marco do anything similar to those posters that Viz could use for their Part 2 sets instead?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:26 am 
Luna
Luna
Sera-V wrote:
^ I am against them using the movie poster because they already used a variation of it for season 2 part 2. A lot of people seem to overlook that or simply don't care.

Most people don't care because the R movie poster was the original and far superior to the SMR part 2 cover, and also far superior to the actual R movie Blu-Ray cover Viz chose LOL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:14 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
It's not that bad!!!!!!! :love: :love:

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 11.10.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 11.10.49 PM.png [ 522.49 KiB | Viewed 555 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:30 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
How can you say it's not that bad?

All of the Sailors are obviously copy & pasted clip art. There's no cohesiveness between them or the background.

The hill of flowers just terminates in an awkward fuzziness.

The giant Tuxedo Mask and Fiore are completely jarring, they're not even facing the same angle, and they don't even look like they were drawn in the same style.

The Silver Crystal is in some weird space jellyfish.

This cover is B A D.

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:56 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
It's not that bad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:03 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
MementoNepenthe wrote:
How can you say it's not that bad?

All of the Sailors are obviously copy & pasted clip art. There's no cohesiveness between them or the background.

The hill of flowers just terminates in an awkward fuzziness.

The giant Tuxedo Mask and Fiore are completely jarring, they're not even facing the same angle, and they don't even look like they were drawn in the same style.

The Silver Crystal is in some weird space jellyfish.

This cover is B A D.

Thank you. Fiore is probably the worst part. It just looks like terrible, undetailed vector artwork. The concept is cool, but the execution is awful. It'd be interesting to see Marco's take on this.

Though honestly, if they got rid of Tuxedo, Fiore, and the silver crystal... it wouldn't look that bad. Still bad, but not that bad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:11 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
If they would remove the space jellyfish, have Sailor Moon (or Princess Serenity) be actually engaged with the Silver Crystal instead of having it awkwardly hover over her, arrange the Inners more neatly around her, and have a full figure Tuxedo Mask and Fiore standing in the background atop more Xenian flowers, facing the same angle, it would have been a cool image. Instead, we got....whatever this is.

They honestly should have just reused their poster art or either of the Pioneer covers. It baffles me that Viz continues to do such a sloppy job with SM while professing to be such devoted fans.

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:32 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
MementoNepenthe wrote:
It baffles me that Viz continues to do such a sloppy job with SM while professing to be such devoted fans.

Because they can get away with it. Viz has never been my favorite distributor, so I wasn't expecting much when they got the license. What I love is whenever they screw up, the blame is always put on Toei. I understand they can be a difficult company to work with, but they can't be at fault for all of Viz's mistakes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:49 am 
Planeta
Planeta
I am sure that Marco Albiero would have done a better job. I don't know why they didn't hire him he is one of the best Sailor Moon artists ever.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:15 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Umino wrote:
MementoNepenthe wrote:
It baffles me that Viz continues to do such a sloppy job with SM while professing to be such devoted fans.

Because they can get away with it. Viz has never been my favorite distributor, so I wasn't expecting much when they got the license. What I love is whenever they screw up, the blame is always put on Toei. I understand they can be a difficult company to work with, but they can't be at fault for all of Viz's mistakes.

In addition to what happened here and with Crystal, Viz lost more points with me (and other people) when they fired Justin Sevakis recently.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p ... ount=30197
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p ... ount=30205

He previously did disc authoring on Viz shows that had newly-done dubs done at Bang Zoom (like Accel World, Blood Lad & Coppelion) and this firing affects their current releases of Hunter x Hunter 2011, One Punch Man & the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure TV series because we know Viz and Subatomic can't handle HD shows properly without causing the same problems that a lot of FUNimation Blu-rays have. :|

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:29 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
So is there going to be a character guide book for the movie BDs like there is for the show?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:52 am 
Luna
Luna
Neon Genesis wrote:
So is there going to be a character guide book for the movie BDs like there is for the show?

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it. I was going to pre-order this movie, but I'm holding out in case they release a Limited Edition, which they probably won't since the LE would've been up for Pre-order by now :-/ if anything they might add a booklet to a limited edition box set for all the movies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8