Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:47 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The New Dub of The Movies
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:29 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Came back from seeing it. The CGI astoriod was fuzzy and people were laughing at really random times like when the senshi were running after Rei felt the evil aura and when Chibiusa fell down.

We stand in awe at that which cannot be seen - Rukia Kuchiki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:12 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
kikyo hino wrote:
Came back from seeing it. The CGI astoriod was fuzzy and people were laughing at really random times like when the senshi were running after Rei felt the evil aura and when Chibiusa fell down.
Sounds about right. People were doing the same when I saw it the first time, and both times I saw it had a fuzzy-looking asteroid.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:40 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
can some one please tell me when this will leave theaters and go on sale on amazon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:16 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VYBZWNT
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WVLHCNG

Viz, what the hell? :|

Last edited by NJ_ on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:12 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Cat
Yeah.. definitely not in love with that cover art. Awkward, to say the least.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:30 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
This looks like a Marco copy of the actual R movie coverart. I typically like Marco's art but this isn't his best work if it's his. If they couldn't use the Japanese art for some reason, I wish they had stuck with the movie poster art they used at theaters. That art is simpler but looks a lot more elegant it fit more with the style they used for the TV series boxset art.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:31 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Meanwhile in Australia...

This has me pretty torn because even if the other image was just for the slipcover (similar to how Viz have been handling Hunter x Hunter 2011), I've kept the boxes for this series & Crystal so throwing this one out would be very odd.

Last edited by NJ_ on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:07 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
This is disappointing to me because I absolutely adore the Japanese coverart for the movies and the R movie coverart has always been my favorite. I haven't been as bothered by the Viz release coverart so far like a lot of fans have been but even I have to admit that the Viz art for the R movie looks like fanart, like the kind you see on a bootleg DVD.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:50 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
so when will it release on amazon video

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:25 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
This looks like a Marco copy of the actual R movie coverart. I typically like Marco's art but this isn't his best work if it's his.

This definitely isn't Marco's art. It's artstyle is way too inconsistent.

I'm really failing to see how Viz couldn't commission Marco to do a new cover or something. This looks like a deviantartist's work.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:13 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Please tell me this is a joke.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:28 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Everything about that cover is awful. What are they thinking? Early April Fool's joke? They can't be serious with that mess.

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:33 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'm still just at a lost of words at how awful it looks. It rivals the old Buena Vista tapes. It's absolutely horrid.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:36 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
https://www.viz.com/watch/movie/sailor-moon-video/12677
https://www.viz.com/watch/movie/sailor-moon-video/12678

Image Image

Quote:
This set includes a feature film on 1 Blu-ray disc and 1 DVD

1080p 16X9 HD (Blu-ray)
480p SD (DVD)

English & Japnaese Stereo Audio

English Subtitles

Make UP! Sailor Guardians Featurette

Cast Interview

L.A. Premiere Q&A and more!

"Japnaese" typo aside, it looks like this will be 16:9-only and with the already-predicted extras.

Last edited by NJ_ on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:45 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
While the 4:3 option is kinda cool, I don't see it being a major selling point. The Italian home release has it, and it's the same crappy quality as the Pioneer release.

It'd be nice if they included character bios, or a textless opening. :ohdear:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:29 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
I tweeted out about the cover and Viz replied:

Quote:
@moondusted Our manufacturers receive artwork straight from the licensors. We are looking into it but hope you still enjoy the film! ✨

https://twitter.com/vizmedia/status/842511260872658946

I know it's doubtful but hopefully they do something.. Though I thought they were the licensor, so that part confused me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:53 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Seen2 wrote:

This definitely isn't Marco's art. It's artstyle is way too inconsistent.

I'm really failing to see how Viz couldn't commission Marco to do a new cover or something. This looks like a deviantartist's work.
It looked like they had took Marco's art and copied and pasted it in a way to copy the Japanese R2 release.

Quote:
I know it's doubtful but hopefully they do something.. Though I thought they were the licensor, so that part confused me.
Given how much universal outrage this is getting, we deserve a better response than that. I hope they'll say something more concrete or something because everyone from Moonies on Twitter to Facebook and forums like these despise this art.

Quote:
I'm still just at a lost of words at how awful it looks. It rivals the old Buena Vista tapes. It's absolutely horrid.
Hey now, the Doom Tree VHS boxset art looks better than this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:56 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
snowgeisha wrote:
I tweeted out about the cover and Viz replied:

Quote:
@moondusted Our manufacturers receive artwork straight from the licensors. We are looking into it but hope you still enjoy the film! ✨

https://twitter.com/vizmedia/status/842511260872658946

In this case Viz is the licensee, not the licensor.

Anyway, they're referring to Toei and I call BS on that excuse because again, everyone else has used the Japanese cover art and nothing else. This artwork is completely new, and it looks bad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:40 am 
Luna
Luna
Well... you guys wanted a less plain cover art LOL can't say Viz didn't try P-: I bet Char drew this herself

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:37 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I was always fine with the movie poster coverart and never understood why people didn't like it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:35 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Anyone here not realise that they basically used the Japanese R movie poster art for season 2 part 2?.....

:roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:22 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I can't stop laughing. It looks like a kaiju film with giant Tuxedo Kamen facing off against Fiore. :lol:

Even the Pioneer release had a better cover than this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:51 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Seira Hazuki wrote:
I can't stop laughing. It looks like a kaiju film with giant Tuxedo Kamen facing off against Fiore. :lol:
Now that would be hilarious to see. A giant Tuxedo Mask fighting another giant humanoid enemy in the middle of Tokyo, with the former trying his darnedest to not destroy any surrounding buildings. :P

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:12 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Meme expert supreme
(takes a look at the Viz cover art)
THAT'S IT, I'M DONE! TOTALLY THROUGH WITH THIS!

YOU CAN'T MAKE ME BUY IT SO I'M DONE!

Join the chatroom here: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:06 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Seira Hazuki wrote:

The cover for the Pioneer release was actually really beautiful. It's probably the only example of exclusive art for the American market.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:18 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
oh wow, that cover is hideous.

you can tell they photoshopped the girls awkwardly on the bank of flowers.

oh man....

what's up with the Ginzuishou? Looks like it's trapped inside a jellyfish or something.

Once again, sailormoon is disrespected. I'm not surprised, it's been happening since 1995 in North America. Why stop now?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:36 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Umino wrote:
Seira Hazuki wrote:

The cover for the Pioneer release was actually really beautiful. It's probably the only example of exclusive art for the American market.

Did Kazuko Tadano herself draw it or something? I can't imagine someone at Pioneer was able mimic her style that perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:45 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Seen2 wrote:
Did Kazuko Tadano herself draw it or something? I can't imagine someone at Pioneer was able mimic her style that perfectly.

The artist is unknown. Pioneer used to mention on their website all of their artwork was supplied by Toei, so nobody at their branch did the artwork.

Most of their covers (whether it be DVD or VHS) were all taken from existing promotional art, whether it be LD covers or trading cards. In addition to the R movie, the only other pieces of art that seemed completely original were the SS movie (though, it was a redraw of a frame from the SS opening) and this VHS cover.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:42 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Apparently Marco confirmed he did not draw this hideous "art." I always thought he was too respectable an artist to come up with this. Marco also offered to lend his services to Viz if they wanted new art. https://twitter.com/SailorTortilla/stat ... 1872912386

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:21 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
To think I'm not ben the biggest fan of Marco's arts type and I'd prefer that to whatever this is!

It's clear Viz wanted to save money by hiring some freelance artist rather than turning to Marco for his artwork. Honestly, if they wanted to save money, they should have done like Australia and use the Japanese artwork.

This artwork is just disgraceful and needs to remain on the cutting room floor. People need to voice concern to Viz directly about this so action can be taken to have new artwork.

Hell, they could just use the artwork from the promotional posters as call it a day.

http://i.imgur.com/sZCIsQF.jpg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next