Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:57 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: [JP] 90s anime Blu-ray sets announced
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:48 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The slipcovers look so bad, especially the R ones. The actual covers are inadequate.

Seen2 wrote:
Those motw designs make for a really neat extra. Here's hoping videos will be out soon, especially of the creditless OP/ED sequences.

Yeah, the booklets are cool and they should've had them in the original DVD releases. Though I can't believe they're not including anything else, like staff interviews or something. I can almost guarantee the creditless OP/ED will be VHS quality.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:11 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Mm...I loved the blu-ray covers... =^_^= but the booklets are very simple... :ohdear: the Saint Seiya s Dvd ones (2002-03) are much better...they included some figures pictures!! =^_^=

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:53 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
sailormoongalaxy wrote:
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Blu Ray Collection Vol.1 Unboxing

The slipcover doesn't actually look that bad in motion with the holographic shimmer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:22 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Box received today. A few images of the episodes + menus.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 514&type=3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:35 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membership
☹ the colors are horrid. I cannot believe they didn’t fix the pink skin syndrome.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:43 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
BillyKonstantine wrote:
☹ the colors are horrid. I cannot believe they didn’t fix the pink skin syndrome.

Only DNR, upscaling, and that's all. For Captain Future, they did everything (DNR, upscale, and color). But for Sailor Moon, it's the minimum.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:16 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
sailormoongalaxy wrote:
BillyKonstantine wrote:

Only DNR, upscaling, and that's all. For Captain Future, they did everything (DNR, upscale, and color). But for Sailor Moon, it's the minimum.

So basically Sailor Moon got the Saint Seiya treatment. There was a weird tint in those DVDs that never got fixed for Blu-ray either.

Glad to hear about Captain Future, they also fixed the colors for Slam Dunk's upscale a few years back and it's one of the reasons why it actually looks better than the Japanese DVDs.

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/ ... post416081

There might be hope for Dragon Ball yet...then again after what happened with Buu Kai's green tint....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:31 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
NJ_ wrote:
Glad to hear about Captain Future, they also fixed the colors for Slam Dunk's upscale a few years back and it's one of the reasons why it actually looks better than the Japanese DVDs.

Captain Future (French Edition DVD vs French Blu-Ray [Master Japan by default])

https://www.facebook.com/pg/empiredesou ... 4026208152

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:46 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Sadly, sales are pretty poor, if it werent vacation season, it would barely fit first 10 :( https://myanimelist.net/news/51184960

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:13 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
http://www.someanithing.com/7426

Quote:
Sailor Moon BD Box v1 sells 1,549.

EDIT:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVjVoQ_gkQG/
https://twitter.com/renren0718/status/8 ... 2755205121

BD/DVD/LD comparison.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:02 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Cat
I know the reasons have been stated but man I hate that pink odd skintone. Wish they'd bothered to try and fix it. Feels like going with an old laserdisc player is your best bet for quality... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:09 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Thank god the pink hue goes away near the end of the first season. Still no excuse for them not trying to do some correction on it though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:32 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
http://sailormoon-official.com/goods/bl ... 3-1995.php
http://www.toei-video.co.jp/special/sailormoon-movie/

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B073GVKVJQ

Available on February 7th, 2 months after R Box 2.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:44 pm 
Luna
Luna
It's weird and confusing that for a box set of all three movies they have the poster of S as a slipcover and the poster for R as a cover. They should have had a cover that represents all three movies like they did with the previous DVD box set.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:21 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Yeah, the cover thing is very odd. On the other hand, it looks like we'll be getting the HD remastered/upscaled versions of the S and SuperS movies a lot earlier than I thought we would.

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:13 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
So even the Japanese releases of the 90s anime are saying "Pretty Guardian" on the box.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:31 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
MementoNepenthe wrote:
Yeah, the cover thing is very odd. On the other hand, it looks like we'll be getting the HD remastered/upscaled versions of the S and SuperS movies a lot earlier than I thought we would.

Actually, according to the description on Amazon Japan, it will be a true HD remaster and not an upscale.

Quote:
ネガスキャンHDリマスター

It literally says: negative scan, HD remaster. So, it looks like TOEI is going rescan it from the original film negatives.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:34 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
KAKERU wrote:
MementoNepenthe wrote:

Actually, according to the description on Amazon Japan, it will be a true HD remaster and not an upscale.

Quote:
ネガスキャンHDリマスター

It literally says: negative scan, HD remaster. So, it looks like TOEI is going rescan it from the original film negatives.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it still got plagued with DNR. Hopefully they'll realize that grain=fine detail lol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:21 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
While I love that they're using the original movie posters, I also think they should just use new artwork or something that can properly represent all the films (like the DVD box did). The only extras listed are the mini-movies, and a booklet.

And they'll be special first press extras for different online outlets.

Seven Net Shopping: Clear File
Amazon: Clear File
Animate: Glass Tray
CDJapan: A2 Size Cloth Poster

Hmm... might have to make a pre-order on CDJapan...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:38 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Seriously, how hard could it be to just get Kazuko Tadano, Ikuko Itoh, Katsumi Tamegai, or Hisashi Kagawa to draw a new cover? Other studios do it all the time with their special re-releases, not to mention both Kagawa and Tamegai still work with Toei on a pretty regular basis.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:43 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Seen2 wrote:
Seriously, how hard could it be to just get Kazuko Tadano, Ikuko Itoh, Katsumi Tamegai, or Hisashi Kagawa to draw a new cover? Other studios do it all the time with their special re-releases, not to mention both Kagawa and Tamegai still work with Toei on a pretty regular basis.

Or the artist that recently did the marriage certificates. Not sure why they're being stingy.

The original DVD releases didn't use new artwork either, aside from the art boxes. And even then, the R box was half-original (and super sloppy).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:00 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Cardcaptor Sakura is getting a new blu-ray release (complete series in 11 discs) in December. But it is not just a repack, they are doing new scan in 4K quality.

Why we have to accept TOEI's crappy upscales in 10 blu-ray packs??? :( I hate that TOEI has Sailor Moon rights.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:16 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
^Meanwhile Toei announced that they're releasing Mazinger Z, a 92-episode series from 1972, in 3 Blu-ray Boxes in December, March & June and it's actually NOT an upscale but an HD scan from the original film negatives. They properly remaster this show but not Sailor Moon & Saint Seiya? That's just baffling to me...

Also poor Selecta Vision, they have been releasing Mazinger Z on Blu-ray in Spain since 2014 (and they had just finished releasing Great Mazinger) and all of it is upscaled.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php ... st10140493 (that thread has screencaps up to episode 49 and more looks to be coming)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:57 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
NJ_ wrote:
^Meanwhile Toei announced that they're releasing Mazinger Z, a 92-episode series from 1972, in 3 Blu-ray Boxes in December, March & June and it's actually NOT an upscale but an HD scan from the original film negatives. They properly remaster this show but not Sailor Moon & Saint Seiya? That's just baffling to me...

Also poor Selecta Vision, they have been releasing Mazinger Z on Blu-ray in Spain since 2014 (and they had just finished releasing Great Mazinger) and all of it is upscaled.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php ... st10140493 (that thread has screencaps up to episode 49 and more looks to be coming)

That's impressive. I was disappointed when the Devilman TV series BD was just an upscale. The pilot film, however, was definitely an HD scan.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:47 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
NJ_ wrote:

Those screencaps are from an upscale? That's impressive! Way better than anything Toei or Viz has done with Sailor Moon.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:19 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
NJ_ wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVjVoQ_gkQG/
https://twitter.com/renren0718/status/8 ... 2755205121

BD/DVD/LD comparison.

For LDs, the quality varies depending on what player you have.

This is the quality I get from my LD player:

https://i.imgbox.com/wrzLeStB.png
https://i.imgbox.com/RnVJG5O0.png
https://i.imgbox.com/nv3wwvDJ.png
https://i.imgbox.com/mwygpzFu.png
https://i.imgbox.com/TwI5kFq0.png

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:55 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Just a note that tomorrow is release day for volume 2 of Sailor Moon Classic.

Those with preorders in Japan should start receiving their orders from today. Mine's just turned up from GGKing :). Exactly same setup as before in terms of discs / booklet.

Just a pity that it's an upscale and not a proper negative rescan :-/ But hey ho I guess it's the best we're gonna hope for :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:15 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Okay so I'm a little slow to the party. These dvd releases, do they have any subtitles or is it pure original no subtitle release? I mean. I would love to get these but the idea of spending about 170 for a half set is a little out of my budget..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:09 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
These are releases intended for the Japanese market.

No subtitles / No English AT ALL.

Note - these are BLU-RAY not DVD.

Who would want them - People who want the best quality release out there and can understand Japanese / don't mind watching it raw even if they don't. The quality is generally considered to be better than Viz's effort.

NOTE - Sailor Moon Classic and Sailor Moon R are UPSCALES - taken from the recent broadcasts on NHK. They are not true hi-def remasters.

The Movie set is Negative re-scan's - note the US release of Sailor Moon R had the negative re-scan so it's not necessary to buy the movie set to get these hi-def prints.

The video quality is probably the best out there but not THE best as it's not true hi-definition and the effects of upscaling show on large screen TV's.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:08 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Selecta blu-rays are definitely not UPSCALE, look at those details and the level of grain in the image.
Sometimes TOEI give the HD masters before they release it, like Sailor Moon R movie in the USA.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next