Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Was Nephrite a child molestor?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:52 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Considering he was an adult who loved Naru who was still a child?

Post subject: Re: Was Nephrite a child molestor?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:06 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Considering he never molested her....no.

child predator sure but not molester.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:18 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Probably one of the biggest flaws of the original anime was the fact you had characters who were middle school students being romantically paired with guys who looked to be atleast in their 20's. When I was kid I didn't question it but watching it now it's clear that the relationship between Nephrite and Naru now comes across as creepy because of how apparent this is. The same thing with Usagi and Mamoru. Why on earth did the anime creators decide the 2 year age gap between them needed to widened?

If there is one thing Crystal should be given credit for is that it followed the manga and kept Usagi and Mamoru close in age. And even when adding elements that were not in the manga such as the relationships between the senshi and the shitennou their character designs made them look closer in age so that even though the added relationships between the senshi and shitennou were poorly developed atleast it didn't come across as creepy like the Naru and Nephrite pairing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:37 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
naru was in love with him yes,but it was like a crush.nephrite only wanted her help and couldn't realize that she truly love him until his death (or a short time before his death,but they really haven't date) That's my impression.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:51 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
If he was (he wasn't) he would be as much as Mamoru.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:53 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
What's interesting is DiC seems to have been aware of how awkward it was and they added in a Sailor Moon Says in the Princess D episode warning kids to stay away from strangers that make you feel uncomfortable and they even used a clip of Nephrite and Molly to show it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:57 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
TuxedoSailorEarth wrote:
Probably one of the biggest flaws of the original anime was the fact you had characters who were middle school students being romantically paired with guys who looked to be atleast in their 20's. When I was kid I didn't question it but watching it now it's clear that the relationship between Nephrite and Naru now comes across as creepy because of how apparent this is. The same thing with Usagi and Mamoru. Why on earth did the anime creators decide the 2 year age gap between them needed to widened?

If there is one thing Crystal should be given credit for is that it followed the manga and kept Usagi and Mamoru close in age. And even when adding elements that were not in the manga such as the relationships between the senshi and the shitennou their character designs made them look closer in age so that even though the added relationships between the senshi and shitennou were poorly developed atleast it didn't come across as creepy like the Naru and Nephrite pairing.

Honestly I didn't see this as a flaw in the anime when I was the Senshi's age I sought out guys that are much older then me. However no Nephrite was not a child molester. Naru is not a prepubescent child and she is pubescent and has become a sexual creature and consented to the relationship plus I don't see how you can support Senshi/Shitennou but call Nephrite/Naru creepy because there is no evidence that the Shitennou aren't the same ages as they were in the 90s anime. Besides Nephrite's age was never revealed in the 90s or manga and Crystal.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:53 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
MariaTenebre wrote:
Honestly I didn't see this as a flaw in the anime when I was the Senshi's age I sought out guys that are much older then me. However no Nephrite was not a child molester. Naru is not a prepubescent child and she is pubescent and has become a sexual creature and consented to the relationship plus I don't see how you can support Senshi/Shitennou but call Nephrite/Naru creepy because there is no evidence that the Shitennou aren't the same ages as they were in the 90s anime. Besides Nephrite's age was never revealed in the 90s or manga and Crystal.

^^^ this

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:56 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: gotta go fast
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

^^^ this

^^ also agreed and same on Usa X Chiba too, plus it would be hypocritical to say this about naru neph but not usa/chiba or sen x shi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:08 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I was gonna say "no, just a pederast" but apparently that term only applies to 2 men. :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:48 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Whether he's a predator or not, Nephrite is most certainly a liar and he constantly lied to Naru, even to his death and lying isn't a good trait for a healthy relationship. The 90s anime wants us to feel sorry for Naru and Nephrite but I don't think the writers are intending for us to be cheerleading their relationship.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:39 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Hmm... quite frankly, I never thought of Nephrite that way. :sick:

While watching the anime, my impression was that he loved Naru, felt tormented for not being able to tell her the truth, and would happily wait until she was of legal age to propose to her if he could.

Think of "Cardcaptor Sakura," for example. Sakura's mom was the same age as Naru (or younger) when she fell in love with her teacher, Sakura's dad. The legal age for a female to get married in Japan is 16, so Sakura's dad waited until Sakura's mom was of legal age to propose and marry her.

Besides, this is an anime, it's fiction, it's not real life, and I doubt that the writers' intention was to portray Nephrite as a predator and Naru as a victim.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:42 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
I don't even get why this is a question at all, Nephrite wasn't even remotely attracted to Naru, and they weren't romantically involved.
Naru had a crush on him, but is not like they were "dating". He used her to get close to the senshi at first, and by the end of his arc he felt gratitude towards her, for being the only person in his life to ever show him affection.
That wasn't love, nor a romance, so... no, he isn't (Tuxedo Mask is tho :P )

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:21 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
C-17 wrote:
I don't even get why this is a question at all, Nephrite wasn't even remotely attracted to Naru, and they weren't romantically involved.
Naru had a crush on him, but is not like they were "dating". He used her to get close to the senshi at first, and by the end of his arc he felt gratitude towards her, for being the only person in his life to ever show him affection.
That wasn't love, nor a romance, so... no, he isn't (Tuxedo Mask is tho :P )

Naru got away with it however in the latest Italian dub the :minako: Katarina episode was dropped if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:08 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Tux isn't, either. He kisses Usagi (to save her life, like in the "R" movie), takes her out to have ice cream, and that is pretty much it. And, like I said, this is fiction: Usagi and Mamoru were linked romantically in their previous lives and are destined to be together in their present lives. Quite frankly, the idea of Mamoru being a predator erases one of the most important components of the anime: the romance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:56 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Ancient spirit
Having no intention to offend anyone, I should say that to me it is deeply disturbing, that actual fans of this show could find Nephrite (or even Mamoru!!!!) "child molester", "sexual predator" and the kind. Especially considering the fact that Mamoru x Usagi romance is a key element of the show.

Specifically in the case of Nephrite x Naru - to me it was obvious that both are romantically interested in each other, and while Nephrite was quite a liar, his feelings grew up to be sincere, eventually leading to his demise (and at least in my eyes - sort of redemption).

Nephrite died loving Naru and feeling sincerely guilty for lying her. This is definitely not predatory behavior (despite if I remember correctly it started a little bit like it). The predator chases and devours its prey, does not fall in love with it nor does it die for the prey's sake.

So the very simple answer to the question asked in this thread is "No, he isn't."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:42 pm 
Corona Galactica
Corona Galactica
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Is there any male in the series who isn't a child molester? Even horses get horny when they see little girls. :ohdear:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:12 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Maraviollantes wrote:
Is there any male in the series who isn't a child molester? Even horses get horny when they see little girls. :ohdear:

I think he was more surprised then anything

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:40 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ He was pleasantly surprised? :lol:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:53 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Other: gotta go fast
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
^ He was pleasantly surprised? :lol:

in any case he likes what he sees :mischief: P-:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:51 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Maraviollantes wrote:

Chibi Usa is hands down the most degenerate character in the series tho: she lusts her own father, and dates an animal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:55 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
C-17 wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:

Chibi Usa is hands down the most degenerate character in the series tho: she lusts her own father, and dates an animal.

Considering how popular she was in the country, she must be a role model at the time. :lol:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:34 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Do we even know what the ages of the Shitennou officially even are?

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:55 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
Sabrblade wrote:

Assuming that they are the same ages in the 90s anime as they are in the manga, Nephrite's estimated age is 19; Zoicite is 16-17; Jadeite is 18; and Kunzite is 25-26.

There's really not much of a difference in the age difference between Usagi/Mamoru and Nephrite/Naru. While I don't think such an age difference is appropriate when one of the individuals is so young and the other is either an adult or nearly so, my viewpoint is informed by American cultural norms. If I understand correctly, 13 is the legal age of consent in Japan - so even if Nephrite and Naru were sexually involved, it would not be illegal in Japan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:02 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Nerina wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

Assuming that they are the same ages in the 90s anime as they are in the manga, Nephrite's estimated age is 19; Zoicite is 16-17; Jadeite is 18; and Kunzite is 25-26.
What's the source on their ages?

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:32 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
Sabrblade wrote:
What's the source on their ages?

The Materials Collection [1] [2]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:43 am 
Stella
Stella
That is odd that translation of the Materials Collection states that Kunzite has a romantic relationship with Zoisite. I thought that was only true in the 90s anime. It would be nice if that were true in the manga as well though. I like Zoisite/Kunzite far more then Senshi/Shitennou.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:44 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
MariaTenebre wrote:
That is odd that translation of the Materials Collection states that Kunzite has a romantic relationship with Zoisite. I thought that was only true in the 90s anime. It would be nice if that were true in the manga as well though. I like Zoisite/Kunzite far more then Senshi/Shitennou.

I hated Senshi/Shitennou myself thought it was lame

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:00 am 
Stella
Stella
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

I hated Senshi/Shitennou myself thought it was lame

Yeah I didn't like them either. My personal fav pairings for the Senshi and Shitennou are Ami/Urawa, Rei/Yuuichirou, Makoto/Asanuma, Minako/Ace and Zoisite/Kunzite. I personally have not decided on who I would pair Jadeite and Nephrite with.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:07 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Clow wrote:
Tux isn't, either. He kisses Usagi (to save her life, like in the "R" movie), takes her out to have ice cream, and that is pretty much it. And, like I said, this is fiction: Usagi and Mamoru were linked romantically in their previous lives and are destined to be together in their present lives. Quite frankly, the idea of Mamoru being a predator erases one of the most important components of the anime: the romance.
I wish fans would hold the same standards for Seiya and the Crystal version of Haruka but Moonies seem very inconsistent when it comes to criticizing the questionable actions of their favorite characters is acceptable and when using the whole "it's just fiction" excuse.