Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:47 am

All times are UTC

Which do You Prefer 90s Shitennou or Crystal Shitennou?
90s Shitennou FTW! 70%  70%  [ 12 ]
Crystal's Shitennou By Far! 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
I Love Them Both Equally! 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Neither I Hate Them All! 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject: 90s Shitennou vs Crystal Shitennou Which Do You Prefer?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:09 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
for me its the 90s hands down I loved their 90s counterpart as they have more character and weren't as two dimensional as both Crystal and the Manga (them being Endymion's Bodyguards was cool in all but was bland in comparison to their 90s counterpart), Nephrite was always my favorite out of them (no shock there lol) only one out of them I hated in the 90s anime was Zoisite for obvious reasons (Jadeite sucked too but I liked him more than Zoisite). so that said which version do you guys prefer?

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

Post subject: Re: 90s Shitennou vs Crystal Shitennou Which Do You Prefer?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:02 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
Neither! I like them in PGSM.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:14 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
90s straight up

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:21 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
I have to say that I agree. I think PGSM does the best job of fleshing out the Four Kings and making them sympathetic characters. I appreciate their efforts to expand on their roles in the 90s anime, but they often come across as too over the top. Also the whole Naru/Nephrite kind of comes across a bit stalkerish in modern times.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:23 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
I have to say that I agree. I think PGSM does the best job of fleshing out the Four Kings and making them sympathetic characters. I appreciate their efforts to expand on their roles in the 90s anime, but they often come across as too over the top. Also the whole Naru/Nephrite kind of comes across a bit stalkerish in modern times.

i respectfully disagree with naru/nephrite being stalkerish as he never stalked naru he only approached her when he needed her

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:39 am 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
Crystal ones looks a bit girlier.I'm going with 90s anime and manga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:12 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
Crystal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:10 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Perhaps I shoulda been more specific.

I dislike Jadeite in the both 90's anime and Crystal, he got little development as a character. So PGSM! Jadeite ftw. With Nephrite and Zoisite, it's 90's & PGSM. Kunzite/Malachite, I like him in all versions.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:51 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
There is already a thread here.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27197

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:07 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membership
Other: PK Starstorm!
Classic Anime and PGSM Shitennou are the best.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:13 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
DREWdesu wrote:
There is already a thread here.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27197

that's true but I'm only asking about two of them not all of them XD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:55 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Other: Status: Feel good.
In the 90s anime all but Jadeite I liked, but I enjoy them a bit less than how they are in the manga/Crystal.

Join the Discord chatroom here: https://discord.gg/h33j9fX
and the Chatango room: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:48 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
They had almost no personality in the manga, and the few shreds they had left was completely annihilated by Crystal.

I like the '90s anime versions, but Zoisite and Nephrite feel like the most developed out of the four and Jadeite is just as much of a cardboard character as his manga counterpart... Except sexist. Kunzite's only defining feature for me is his relationship with Zoi, but otherwise he doesn't do much that's memorable.

PGSM's depiction is unequivocally the best out of any adaptation though. You have four individuals with fully fleshed out backgrounds, unlike the '90s anime, while also having completely different motivations which set them apart unlike the hive mind they are in Crystal and the manga. I love Jadeite's unwavering loyalty to Beryl. Nephrite's (adorable) naivety that made him an easy pawn. Zoisite's equally single minded devotion to his master... And Kunzite's grudge brewing for thousands of years. I love seeing them interact, it was such a joy and a testament to how interesting these characters can be if an adaptation actually invested the time in fleshing out their untapped potential...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:00 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
I like both, but I still prefer Crystal's Shitennou, because they were all able to eventually break free from Beryl's brainwashing and regained their old memories as King Endymion's guardians, in a way they were able to redeem themselves in Crystal in the very end, but not until it was too late. I love the Shitennou in the manga, Crystal and PGSM, I love the fact that they all had a backstory, they were once noble soldiers who fought alongside Endymion, before they were brainwashed by Beryl. They were not evil, at least not originally, they were merely brainwashed into joining the Dark Kingdom. I was so sad when they were killed in Crystal immediately after they regained their old memories and on the verge of redemption :( if only the Sailor Senshis could've saved them earlier :blue:

But in the 90s anime, they were portrayed as just merely Beryl's minions, there was no backstory to their characters, they were mainly portrayed as just Beryl's dispensable pawns, so I was not able to connect with the Shitennou in the 90s anime the way that I connected with the Shitennou in the manga, Crystal and PGSM.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:06 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SailorLinda1 wrote:
I like both, but I still prefer Crystal's Shitennou, because they were all able to eventually break free from Beryl's brainwashing and regained their old memories as King Endymion's guardians, in a way they were able to redeem themselves in Crystal in the very end, but not until it was too late. I love the Shitennou in the manga, Crystal and PGSM, I love the fact that they all had a backstory, they were once noble soldiers who fought alongside Endymion, before they were brainwashed by Beryl. They were not evil, at least not originally, they were merely brainwashed into joining the Dark Kingdom. I was so sad when they were killed in Crystal immediately after they regained their old memories and on the verge of redemption :( if only the Sailor Senshis could've saved them earlier :blue:

But in the 90s anime, they were portrayed as just merely Beryl's minions, there was no backstory to their characters, they were mainly portrayed as just Beryl's dispensable pawns, so I was not able to connect with the Shitennou in the 90s anime the way that I connected with the Shitennou in the manga, Crystal and PGSM.

Actually there is nothing saying the Shitennou in the 90s didn't have their same manga backstory. In fact it was implied they did and there are extra anime materials that show their backstory.

Me personally I liked them better in the 90s. I loved their personalities, Zoisite and Kunzite's relationship. I just wish their backstories were more explored.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:54 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
MariaTenebre wrote:
SailorLinda1 wrote:

Actually there is nothing saying the Shitennou in the 90s didn't have their same manga backstory. In fact it was implied they did and there are extra anime materials that show their backstory.

Me personally I liked them better in the 90s. I loved their personalities, Zoisite and Kunzite's relationship. I just wish their backstories were more explored.

Even Jadeite, Maria?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:10 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MariaTenebre wrote:
SailorLinda1 wrote:

Even Jadeite, Maria?

Jadeite could have been better but I did like him. Personally I always thought that he seemed to have an unrequited love for Beryl and seemed to be the most loyal of her subordinates. I was always glad that they expanded on this in PGSM.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:51 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MariaTenebre wrote:
Personally I always thought that he seemed to have an unrequited love for Beryl and seemed to be the most loyal of her subordinates. I was always glad that they expanded on this in PGSM.

Somehow I never thought of that. I knew he was almost the most loyal of the Shitennou but I never considered him being in love with Beryl. I think I like the idea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:08 am 
inactive
MariaTenebre wrote:

No there wasn't, there was no redemption for any of the Shitennous (except maybe for Nephrite, but for different reason), no backstory, no look into their past lives as Endymion's soldiers, there was nothing in the 90's anime that showed their past or told us about their past lives. Like I said, they were merely just Beryl's disposable pawns in the 90's anime.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:33 am 
Stella
Stella
SailorLinda1 wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

No there wasn't, there was no redemption for any of the Shitennous (except maybe for Nephrite, but for different reason), no backstory, no look into their past lives as Endymion's soldiers, there was nothing in the 90's anime that showed their past or told us about their past lives. Like I said, they were merely just Beryl's disposable pawns in the 90's anime.

Actually it was implied they were his Shitennou like when Nephrite and Mamoru seemed to recognize each other at that gallery and as I said before there are some extra anime materials that have this back story for them. Just because they weren't given redemption does not mean they did not have this backstory.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:37 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
MariaTenebre wrote:
SailorLinda1 wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

Actually it was implied they were his Shitennou like when Nephrite and Mamoru seemed to recognize each other at that gallery and as I said before there are some extra anime materials that have this back story for them. Just because they weren't given redemption does not mean they did not have this backstory.

Attachment:
1489300502342.jpg
1489300502342.jpg [ 46.98 KiB | Viewed 1764 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:40 am 
inactive
Then give me an episode that specifically showed us or implied that they had a backstory, or told us about their past lives. And what were those so called anime materials you mentioned? If they were not shown in the anime itself, then it doesn't really count.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:19 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
AmiMizunosHusband's right, we've got to stop fighting. We don't want see Luongo cry.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:28 am 
Stella
Stella
SailorLinda1 wrote:
Then give me an episode that specifically showed us or implied that they had a backstory, or told us about their past lives. And what were those so called anime materials you mentioned? If they were not shown in the anime itself, then it doesn't really count.

Actually some anime materials like bios and radio shows do count on one of those materials it revealed Chibiusa's manga age of 900 years old. While somethings have questionable canonicity in the extra anime materials the Shitennou's backstory is confirmed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:37 am 
inactive
MariaTenebre wrote:
Actually some anime materials like bios and radio shows do count on one of those materials it revealed Chibiusa's manga age of 900 years old. While somethings have questionable canonicity in the extra anime materials the Shitennou's backstory is confirmed.

Even if it counts, if it's not shown in the anime itself then it doesn't count for me, because audiences should be able to know about the characters and their backstory, what they do etc from the storytelling in the anime itself, without having to rely on other sources or materials, otherwise it's just bad storytelling.

Take the Shitennou's backstory for example, in the 90's anime there was hardly anything to indicate or even imply about their past lives, there was nothing about who they were in their past lives, where did they came from, how did they come to work for Beryl etc, there was NOTHING. If I hadn't read the manga, then I wouldn't have known about the Shitennou's backstory or where they came from etc.
But at least in Crystal, there were flashbacks about their past lives, and detailed explanations about who they were and what they did before they were brainwashed by Beryl, and THAT is backstory.
But in the 90's anime there was nothing about the Shitennou's backstory or past lives, they were just portrayed as merely Beryl's disposable pawns, and nothing more. And knowing their backstory from the manga, I was so disappointed that they did not explore the Shitennou's past and background in the 90's anime, they were only just known as Beryl's minions. If one had not read the manga, or watched Crystal or PGSM, then he/she probably would not have known about the Shitennou's past and their backstory. Like I said before, I just cannot connect with the Shitennou in the 90s anime in the same way that I connect with the Shitennou in the manga, Crystal and PGSM. I still like them in the 90's anime though, but I much prefer them in the manga, PGSM and Crystal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:21 am 
Stella
Stella
SailorLinda1 wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

Even if it counts, if it's not shown in the anime itself then it doesn't count for me, because audiences should be able to know about the characters and their backstory, what they do etc from the storytelling in the anime itself, without having to rely on other sources or materials, otherwise it's just bad storytelling.

Take the Shitennou's backstory for example, in the 90's anime there was hardly anything to indicate or even imply about their past lives, there was nothing about who they were in their past lives, where did they came from, how did they come to work for Beryl etc, there was NOTHING. If I hadn't read the manga, then I wouldn't have known about the Shitennou's backstory or where they came from etc.
But at least in Crystal, there were flashbacks about their past lives, and detailed explanations about who they were and what they did before they were brainwashed by Beryl, and THAT is backstory.
But in the 90's anime there was nothing about the Shitennou's backstory or past lives, they were just portrayed as merely Beryl's disposable pawns, and nothing more. And knowing their backstory from the manga, I was so disappointed that they did not explore the Shitennou's past and background in the 90's anime, they were only just known as Beryl's minions. If one had not read the manga, or watched Crystal or PGSM, then he/she probably would not have known about the Shitennou's past and their backstory. Like I said before, I just cannot connect with the Shitennou in the 90s anime in the same way that I connect with the Shitennou in the manga, Crystal and PGSM. I still like them in the 90's anime though, but I much prefer them in the manga, PGSM and Crystal.

Well again my point was is that even if it wasn't explored in the 90s like it should have been it was still implied and there is nothing saying that their backstory does not still apply.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:56 am 
inactive
MariaTenebre wrote:
Well again my point was is that even if it wasn't explored in the 90s like it should have been it was still implied and there is nothing saying that their backstory does not still apply.

that's my point all along, there were none, there were NO implications and NO hints about the Shitennou's past lives & identities or backstory in the 90's anime, even if there were then they were much too vague and did not give the audience a clear idea at all.
I remember you mentioned there was a scene between Mamoru and Nephrite when they seemed to recognise each other, but that's nothing, it doesn't give us any clue as to who the Shitennou were in their past lives, or where they came from, who they worked for etc. And anyone can walk up to a total stranger on the street and say "you look familiar", in fact that actually happens all the time, but more often than not it doesn't mean anything. If we didn't know any better, that scene could've just been Nephrite & Mamoru recognizing each other because they've seen each other before on the street or something for all we know, and it had nothing to do with their past lives.

Like I said, there was really no clear implication, indication or hint about the Shitennou's past lives and their backstory in the 90's anime. If someone was unfamiliar with SM and has only watched the 90's anime, then they probably wouldn't know anything about the Shitennou's past lives and identities.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:51 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Mostly Crystal's, although I liked Zoisite X "Malachite"/Kunzite, (as well as some of the anime-exclusive Monsters-Of-The-Day), but overall, CRYSTAL'S SHITENNOU FTW!!

EDIT: In fact in many ways, I actually PREFER some of the deviations that Crystal made to the manga, including
Spoiler: show
ALL 4 of the Shitennou finding out that they had been BRAINWASHED, rather than solely "Malachite"/Kunzite!!

Last edited by Tuf Pic on Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:55 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
SailorLinda1 wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

that's my point all along, there were none, there were NO implications and NO hints about the Shitennou's past lives & identities or backstory in the 90's anime, even if there were then they were much too vague and did not give the audience a clear idea at all.
I remember you mentioned there was a scene between Mamoru and Nephrite when they seemed to recognise each other, but that's nothing, it doesn't give us any clue as to who the Shitennou were in their past lives, or where they came from, who they worked for etc. And anyone can walk up to a total stranger on the street and say "you look familiar", in fact that actually happens all the time, but more often than not it doesn't mean anything. If we didn't know any better, that scene could've just been Nephrite & Mamoru recognizing each other because they've seen each other before on the street or something for all we know, and it had nothing to do with their past lives.

Like I said, there was really no clear implication, indication or hint about the Shitennou's past lives and their backstory in the 90's anime. If someone was unfamiliar with SM and has only watched the 90's anime, then they probably wouldn't know anything about the Shitennou's past lives and identities.

ladies keep it civil or Rose will have to punish you again XD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:25 am 
inactive
I don't think we're "fighting" at all, we're just having a civil discussion.