* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:21 am

All times are UTC

Preference
DiC Dub 22%  22%  [ 11 ]
Viz Dub 22%  22%  [ 11 ]
Original Japanese 55%  55%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 49
 Post subject: Your preference: Old dub, new dub or sub?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:49 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Other: Status: Feel good.
Maybe this has been done before, but I just wanted to make a poll.

You can talk about why you chose what you did, plus your thoughts on what you didn't choose in replies to this thread.

For me: I stick to the subbed version on the grounds that it was what I stuck with in my initial watching, the original VAs do great, and it's pretty much the best overall version the way I see it.

The DiC dub does a fine job, and I appreciate the work put into it for its audience, especially with the voice talent: people like Terri Hawkes, Susan Roman and Stephanie Beard pull off great performances for their characters. However, the writing does leave things to be desired. It was the 90s... And now it isn't. But hey, it's at least pretty fun in its own right to the point that I enjoy watching clips of it online.

Viz's version totally outclasses DiC in every way of quality: closer to the source, nothing left out or changed, and equally great voice talent like Stephanie Sheh, Robbie Daymond and Michelle Ruff. However, it does come with drawbacks: there can be a bit of a problem with adapting the writing (unecessary swears, too accurate moments), and it being closer to the source kinda loses that certain charm DiC had. Nevertheless Viz still tops DiC in quality with their dub thanks to the things that make up for it, and it's really well done!

Join the Discord chatroom here: https://discord.gg/h33j9fX
and the Chatango room: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

Post subject: Re: Your preference: Old dub, new dub or sub?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:51 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
Original Japanese #1 then Viz then Old dubs [dic then CWI] in that order for me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:58 pm 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Viz dub is my favorite it is both faithful to the original and uncut plus it is in a language I can understand.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:46 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The original Japanese is my favorite, but I voted for the DiC dub to give it some love, and because it is a very very very close second. If they had just spent a bit more time polishing up the editing and checking for continuity errors, it could have been perfect.

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:00 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Japanese. While I like the DiC and Viz dubs, neither quite reach the level of the Japanese version for me. (though Viz has come close)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:03 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Japanese audio. Honestly can't watch Sailor Moon dubbed into English at all, it just sounds so wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:02 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Lingering Spirit
Japanese subbed is my favorite by a mile .
In my mind the original VA's are the best .

DiC dub is so cringy , I can't stomach it .
Viz Dub is far and away the better dub , the voices and script are good , but it's hard for me to enjoy Sailor Moon with the characters speaking english .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:08 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Dic dub for me.

We stand in awe at that which cannot be seen - Rukia Kuchiki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:45 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
I voted for the Dic dub because it's the version I enjoy watching the most, even if it isn't objectively the best of the three.

I almost don't feel like it's a fair comparison, given how different they are. They're two completely different shows to me. I love them both, including the Viz dub - just for different reasons!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:29 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Rainbow Goddess
I chose the Japanese original version because it just sounds better and I like the voices of the original senshi than the English dub versions. My second choice would've been the CWi dub because it's the dub I grew up watching and I still prefer it over the DiC dub but it's way too cringy to watch now lol and my third choice would be the Viz dub.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:40 am 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
Original japanese with subtitles.I enjoy it the most.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:23 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Ancient spirit
The original Japanese with subs (and this counts not only for SailorMoon but for any other show as well).
And about SailorMoon dubs... at least in my personal opinion - no other beats the German one (yet I may be biased, considering the fact that it was my introduction to SailorMoon).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:49 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
If someone were to point a gun at me and force me to choose, I'd have to go with the Japanese version. Viz's dub is much more bearable than DiC's and Cloverway's efforts, but every time Viz keeps making the mistakes and foolhardy decisions that they keep making in their dub it's just so nerve-racking. The mistakes DiC and Cloverway made I can let by a little more since accuracy to the Japanese version was a much lower priority for them than it was for Viz, but since Viz has gone out of their way to try to adhere to the Japanese version's dialogue script, every time they make a blunder or a bad decision it's all the more crippling to their work and that much more frustrating to see and hear since we know that they won't ever fix (as in re-dub) those flaws.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:22 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
I've only seen both dubs, and of them, I went with Viz since I just can't stand the edits and the majority of voices in the Dic version. I'm currently learning Japanese, so I'd like to watch the Japanese version sometime soon.

Why look for the key in another, the answer lays in his own heart, won't find yourself in some other, it always was there right at the start - Howard Jones

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:40 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
I voted for the Japanese version. As much as I love the Viz dub, nothing still beats the original. I also love the Japanese version because it has some of the most legendary classic voice artists in anime, like Kotono Mitsuishi, Emi Shinohara, Aya Hisakawa, Tohru Furuya, Megumi Ogata. These are the giants in the anime voice acting world that acted in so many of my favorite characters growing up, not just in Sailor Moon, so I have a real nostalgic love for the original cast. The Viz dub is definitely in a close second though. The English voice cast is phenomenal and I love how uncut and faithful it is. It's everything I wanted from an uncut dub of Sailor Moon. I still have a nostalgic love for the DiC dub and there are actually a few things I think DiC improves on the original of, and I still love the original voice cast, but most of my love for the DiC dub is based on nostalgia and not it's inherent value. There's just too many issues with DiC to overlook to call it a favorite. But I think the original is definitely the best and the best way to introduce Sailor Moon to a newer anime fan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:51 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Personally, I enjoy watching the Viz redub rather than the original version because I don't understand Japanese. And I am used to the characters speaking English since I've first watched the original dub by Dic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:14 am 
Luna
Luna
The Japanese version is the best

There’s a lot to love about the DiC dub aside from the nostalgia it has a great score and its pretty funny. Funnier than the Japanese version. But it lacks internal consistency like a lot such as names and characters knowledge

Viz is soooo mediocre and bland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:08 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
New dub.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:51 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
DiC dub for me as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:56 am 
Your friendly neighborhood Suburban Senshi
Your friendly neighborhood Suburban Senshi
Other: Class: Demon Lord
/me sits by a fire, fueled any copies of a dub he can find.

I'm sorry what was the question?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:03 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I prefer subtitle and the original show because it feels the closest I can get to understanding the original thing, and I like the original actors and music.

I've only seen a tiny bit of the ViZ dub it it seemed okay at what it does, I suppose. Nephrite sounded really old for some reason though, like a middle aged guy. Still not as goofy as when his DiC voice got all super-gravelly, though.

But the DiC dub... I am very glad we got it historically instead of a certain proposed alternative. I think we dodged a bullet. However, the creative inauthenticity frustrates me.

It has a few minor elements of it's own that are appealing- a few lines, a couple names that sound good like "Star Crystal" or "Molly Baker" or "Crescent Moon Wand"- but I have mixed feelings even about the things I like because they were essentially rewriting someone else's story and presenting it as either the real idea, or worse, that it was supposed to be better. Rei's mostly-friendly jabs turn into outright meanness, there's lots of pointless dumb things, and it's just... I can't watch it without cringing. I have some historical interest in it, enough to return now and then, and I have respect for anyone who cherishes it as their favorite, but dang do I not like most of what the editors did there.

I am glad they kept episode 24 (now 20, "A Friend in Wolf's Clothing"- nice job with the subtler title by the way, the original is as subtle as a shipping truck, although in a strange backwards way I kind of liked that too) very much intact though.

I think some of the new acting was good. I like the first Usagi in the DiC dub. Can't stand Cloverway Usagi though, I cringe every time she speaks. Molly's brooklyn accent I'm kinda halfway okay with, since she's supposed to have a thick Osaka accent, and I'm glad they went with New York instead of a southern drawl because that would probably have been even more awkward sounding (although maybe it could've worked, I don't know).

So subtitles for me, generally.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:54 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Jp>Viz>Dic/Cloverway for me.

The original dubs are still painful for me to listen to after all this time, but the Viz dub is really good in my opinion (especially with the emotional scenes or the entire R movie.) If I were to show a kid Sailor Moon, I'd definitely show them the Viz dub and happily watch it with them. Still, none of them can beat the amazing performances of the original Japanese cast. There's a reason most of the seiyuu went on to become big names in the industry :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:15 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
DiC dub.

As cringy as some of the episodes can be, I do enjoy it and prefer to think of it as a western adapataion instead of dub.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:57 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I have to go with the ViZ dub, while I appreciate the original, I like hearing it in English. The voice actors start out flat in the ViZ dub, but as the series progresses, they seem to be getting better. I really liked the voices for Haruka and Michiru especially.

While I liked DiC's music for a huge chunk of the first season, the censorship and different names are too much for me today. At an earlier time? Probably would have been more tolerant, like I used to be before I got to know the original.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:06 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Viz dub for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:47 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Other: Married To NQS!
i love them all except the Cloverway dub that dub was awful (except for Stephanie Beard i loved her Chibi-Usa/Rini :love: ) but i voted for the Viz Dub

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:59 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
The original Japanese. I watched some episodes in both English dubs and they just didn't do much for me. But I do like the first voice of Usagi in the Dic dub (was it Tracey More?) quite a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:33 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
May as well mention it here, but I finally got around to watching the Japanese version of episode 1 last night. The voices are good, but it's definitely going to take a while to get used to the cast since I'm so used to the Viz dub. I also noticed that the sound is a bit "rougher" and more compressed than the Viz dub. I think it was in mono too, though I watched it without headphones. Was the Japanese version always like this or did Viz use an inferior tape source?

Why look for the key in another, the answer lays in his own heart, won't find yourself in some other, it always was there right at the start - Howard Jones

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:31 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
GTAB wrote:
May as well mention it here, but I finally got around to watching the Japanese version of episode 1 last night. The voices are good, but it's definitely going to take a while to get used to the cast since I'm so used to the Viz dub. I also noticed that the sound is a bit "rougher" and more compressed than the Viz dub. I think it was in mono too, though I watched it without headphones. Was the Japanese version always like this or did Viz use an inferior tape source?
It may be a combination of both how the original Japanese version always sounded and how Viz handled the audio quality for their DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Not to mention that the Viz dub itself (for at least the first season) had some really awkward-sounding audio work done for it, with the new English dialogue all sounding far too loud when set against the original Japanese music and sound effects. So if you're already so used to how the Viz dub sounds, then hearing the original Japanese dialogue at its intended audio level that better matches (instead of overpowering) the audio level of the music and sound effects may sound unusual to you.

Note that the Viz dub of Sailor Moon Crystal did not have their audio problem as the new English dialogue for that version was more on the same level as the Japanese dialogue was in comparison to the audio level of the music and sound effects for that show. This is due to Crystal itself being a much newer show when compared to the 25-year-old 90's anime. Because Viz used modern dubbing technology to record the dialogue for both shows' English dubs, the newer show's new English dialogue sounds better matched to its music and sound effects while the older show has new dialogue that is all of a much louder quality when set against the music and sound effects from 25 years ago.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!