Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Would Hollywood Make Live Action Sailor Moon?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:00 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
If by some miracle the live action Ghost in the Shell turns out to be a big hit, what are the chances that Hollywood would make a big budget live action Sailor Moon movie?

Post subject: Re: Would Hollywood Make Live Action Sailor Moon?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:09 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
If by some miracle the live action Ghost in the Shell turns out to be a big hit, what are the chances that Hollywood would make a big budget live action Sailor Moon movie?

I think it's a possibility , but not by much .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:00 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
God I hope not!

I'm not looking forward to the upcoming Death Note movie that Hollywood has made and frankly I have very low expectations for it. Hollywood virtually always ruins it whenever they make adaptations from Japanese source materials. I don't want Hollywood to ruin SM either :umno:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:21 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The premise is designed for a serial format. There is no good Sailor Moon movie without character of the day episodes. Therefore there cannot be a good Sailor Moon standalone movie. I think I read somewhere Naoko said she had gotten such offers and turned them down.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:32 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Mysterious2098Face
oh Hollywood SM movie how many topics does this make about you? let me count the ways

1 viewtopic.php?f=22&t=15457&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=d

2 viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7144&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=d

3 viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19625&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=d

4 http://www.sailormoonforum.com/viewtopi ... &sk=t&sd=d

5 http://www.sailormoonforum.com/viewtopi ... &sk=t&sd=d

6 viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27890&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=d

and this makes 7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:32 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
SailorLinda1 wrote:
God I hope not!

I'm not looking forward to the upcoming Death Note movie that Hollywood has made and frankly I have very low expectations for it. Hollywood virtually always ruins it whenever they make adaptations from Japanese source materials. I don't want Hollywood to ruin SM either :umno:

I wouldn't say that its completyl true . Triuth to be told Japa can make really cruddy adaptions too .( Attackk on titan coms to mind). I think The Ring was a good American vrsion Ringu ,and even Dark Water . I have seen fan stuff . If you have good peope who love the manga it would work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:05 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
If the Power Rangers movie does well, I could see Hollywood being interested in doing a LA Sailor Moon film, but it'll never happen. Naoko's said she's gotten such offers before and turned them down because she didn't like the ideas that were pitched. I doubt Hollywood would pitch better ideas now because Hollywood continues to get worse each year. Besides, the real question is do we want a Hollywood SM film? The answer is: no.

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:26 am 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
I'd love to see a live action Sailor Moon film by Disney, but that'll never happen. -_-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:40 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NeoQueenSerenity18 wrote:
I'd love to see a live action Sailor Moon film by Disney, but that'll never happen. -_-

In 3d or 2d?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:49 am 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
rgveda99 wrote:
NeoQueenSerenity18 wrote:

In 3d or 2d?

Live action, not an animated film.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:02 am 
Luna
Luna
An American live action television remake of PGSM with less hokey effects and costume designs would work better than a Hollywood film.

"We found this Guardian then this Guardian then this Guardian .." just doesnt work in movie format

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:19 am 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Highly doubt it. Naoko is smart enough not to have Hollywood screw up her franchise. Hollywood screwed up big time with DragonBall Z the live action one (I wish I could forget that even existed.)

Hollywood is a hit or miss when it comes to animation coming to real life. If I remember correctly they did screw up on several Marvel movies. That said it is like a minefield.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."-Gandhi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:34 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
lunar5313 wrote:
Highly doubt it. Naoko is smart enough not to have Hollywood screw up her franchise. Hollywood screwed up big time with DragonBall Z the live action one (I wish I could forget that even existed.)

Hollywood is a hit or miss when it comes to animation coming to real life. If I remember correctly they did screw up on several Marvel movies. That said it is like a minefield.

Don't you mean DC? Because Marvel is pretty much a juggernaut at Hollywood now.

Also Marvel is a comic industry not animation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:40 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Salem Saberhagen wrote:
The premise is designed for a serial format. There is no good Sailor Moon movie without character of the day episodes. Therefore there cannot be a good Sailor Moon standalone movie. I think I read somewhere Naoko said she had gotten such offers and turned them down.
I saw this fanmade Sailor Moon movie on YouTube that had really hokey acting and bad special effects but story wise they did a decent job of condensing the plot into like a 2 hou 30 min. movie. So it can be done with a bit of imagination. The question is if Hollywood would have that imagination to do it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:42 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
I would love to see one! Even if they screw it, that doesn't mean that they screwed the entire franchise. We would still have all other versions to watch. And maybe people will finally appreciate Crystal :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:51 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Prince Rose wrote:
oh Hollywood SM movie how many topics does this make about you? let me count the ways

and this makes 7
They say seven's a lucky number :googly:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:11 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
They should do a TV series first then a movie like Hannah Montana or the Power Rangers. ^_^

Neon Genesis wrote:
I saw this fanmade Sailor Moon movie on YouTube that had really hokey acting and bad special effects but story wise they did a decent job of condensing the plot into like a 2 hou 30 min. movie. So it can be done with a bit of imagination. The question is if Hollywood would have that imagination to do it?

Which fan made movie? Is that the Deadmoon Circus or the usual Dark Kingdom arc?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:33 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
rgveda99 wrote:
Which fan made movie? Is that the Deadmoon Circus or the usual Dark Kingdom arc?
It was this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNOMgaAHYSw&t=1024s

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:53 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Neon Genesis wrote:
rgveda99 wrote:
It was this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNOMgaAHYSw&t=1024s

Is that the one with :usagi: and :ami: listening to Spice Girls?

Edit:
Ooohhh I remember this. I did watched it.

Have you also seen JimiKpop's?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:06 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
SailorWelshy wrote:
lunar5313 wrote:

If you watch the Marvel movies that came out before the MCU you would get what I mean. Also what I mean is that having any cartoon series, especially those based off cartoons, can be a hit or miss when you put them as live action.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:25 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
lunar5313 wrote:
SailorWelshy wrote:
lunar5313 wrote:

If you watch the Marvel movies that came out before the MCU you would get what I mean. Also what I mean is that having any cartoon series, especially those based off cartoons, can be a hit or miss when you put them as live action.

Well how was I to know you meant the movies before Marvel Studios?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:46 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
^Marvel has been around for a long time, so most people who grew up in the 90s should remember how terrible the Captain America and Nick Fury movies were....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:25 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
lunar5313 wrote:
^Marvel has been around for a long time

Yes, I'm aware of that.

Quote:
so most people who grew up in the 90s should remember how terrible the Captain America and Nick Fury movies were

Not really, the 90's Captain America film went unreleased for two years after it was completed in 1990, eventually it went direct to video in 1992. So I would say only a very few knew of its existence. It was only shown in a few theatres in other countries, and even then it was a limited run.

And the Nick Fury Movie was only shown on FOX as a TV movie, (So that's not a Hollywood example) that failed to garner any attention. Heck even its Wikipedia page only has one line explaining the plot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:34 am 
inactive
imaginationgirl wrote:
I wouldn't say that its completyl true . Triuth to be told Japa can make really cruddy adaptions too .( Attackk on titan coms to mind). I think The Ring was a good American vrsion Ringu ,and even Dark Water . I have seen fan stuff . If you have good peope who love the manga it would work.

I did say "virtually" always, which means almost always, there's only very few exceptions of good Hollywood remakes & adaptations from japanese sources, but most of the time they are misses.
And I never said Japan hasn't made any lousy remakes of Japanese mangas/animes either, they have, there are some Japanese remakes & adaptations of mangas & animes that I think are quite bad or inferior quality to the original source materials. One of the main reasons could be because Japan's movie industry as a whole is smaller than Hollywood and they tend to have much smaller budgets than Hollywood. But Japan has also made some good adaptations too even with all the limitations that they have.
I just think Hollywood is more guilty of making lousy adaptations from Japanese sources, most of the time they're just not good, there's only the occasional good ones.

As for Marvel, although yes it is monopolizing the movie industry with its many successful superhero movies, but DC Comics is more successful than Marvel on TV. DC has many successful TV shows and cartoons on TV, like The Flash, Supergirl, Lucifer, Legends of Tomorrow, Arrow etc and its many Batman cartoons. While Marvel only has Agents of SHIELD on TV, but like I said they are much more successful in the movie industry than DC, I don't think Marvel really cares much about the TV industry anyway, they seem to be satisfied enough with their enormous success in the movie industry and are more focused in that area, the TV industry is smaller so it's probably not a priority for Marvel right now.
Besides the Batman movies and the recent Suicide Squad movie, DC really doesn't have any other franchises that are big hits on the big screen...Superman movies don't do well anymore in the box office. Although let's wait and see how well the upcoming Wonder Woman movie will fair, I'm hoping it would do well at the box office because I'm a fan of Chris Pine :mrgreen: unlike Marvel, I think DC needs the profits from its many successful TV shows and cartoons, otherwise they would probably only have Batman to rely on as their main source of profit and success.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:02 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Why not? Not saying it would be good or anything, but if it's within their power, they could do it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:40 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
If ever there will be one, I hope it goes to Disney not Warner Bros especially now they are featuring LGBT characters. ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:46 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
magic713 wrote:
Why not?
Because making such a movie would require Hollywood to actually get the license for the series, which Naoko wisely will fork over.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:58 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
I wouldn't count on it, but we could dream, if by the 30th Anniversary of the show and there's no movie, then you can count on Sailor Moon as one of the animes to never make a live action film. That by the way us by choice.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:54 am 
inactive
I agree, I think it's very doubtful it would ever happen because Takeuchi seems very adamantly against the idea.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:09 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: Lingering Spirit
I don't think Hollywood would be able to make a truly good live action Sailor Moon , they just don't seem capable of making a quality product based off Japanese franchises .