Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Would Hollywood Make Live Action Sailor Moon?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:14 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Too much material to cover. At most, they could make a Sailor V movie about the final chapters of the manga (with flashbacks on the past), those few chapters seem perfect for a movie... But then, what about the sequel hook?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:02 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
I doubt a Sailor V movie would generate much interest, only the hardcore SM fans would know about the Sailor V manga series, there are still many casual SM fans out there who are unaware of the fact that Sailor V was a prototype manga series a precursor to the SM series, many don't even know a Sailor V manga series even exists! And there are many SM fans who don't even like Sailor V or Sailor Venus either. So making a movie that's mainly focused on Sailor V would most likely fail and generate much less interest IMO, heck, I even have doubts about whether an American live action movie for SM would be successful or not, let alone a Sailor V movie.

I do agree with you about having too much material to cover though, which is why I think it would be better to make a live action TV series based on SM rather than a feature length movie. America could do what Saban & Disney did with the Power Rangers franchise, they adapted the Japanese Super Sentai series into their own American version franchise. Japan has already made a live action series of SM in the form of PGSM, America could also make their own version based on PGSM, or make a completely new live action series directly based from the manga or anime series.

Not that I want America to make their own live action adaptation of SM of course...all I'm saying is that if America insists on making their own version of SM, better they make a TV series out of it rather than a movie. At least with a TV series, they would have plenty more room and space to cover a lot more material and aspects from the manga or anime.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:37 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
SailorLinda1 wrote:
I doubt a Sailor V movie would generate much interest, only the hardcore SM fans would know about the Sailor V manga series, there are still many casual SM fans out there who are unaware of the fact that Sailor V was a prototype manga series a precursor to the SM series, many don't even know a Sailor V manga series even exists! And there are many SM fans who don't even like Sailor V or Sailor Venus either. So making a movie that's mainly focused on Sailor V would most likely fail and generate much less interest IMO, heck, I even have doubts about whether an American live action movie for SM would be successful or not, let alone a Sailor V movie.

True. And that only makes worse the fact the final chapters are perfect for a movie.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:33 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Rei-volution
Don't encourage Hollywood to make any more crappy 80s/90s member berries reboots.

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:22 am 
inactive
Oh believe me I'm not trying to "encourage" Hollywood to make their own SM adaptation, and I don't think anyone else here is either. But we're just discussing the possibility of it hypothetically.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:15 pm 
inactive
I think Sailor Moon live on action would be odd. Other hand, I think Sailor V would make a fantastic hollywood movie fighting jewelry thieves.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:31 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
If they did make a live action movie, I'd imagine they would split the first season up into a trilogy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:06 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Personally I have always stated that if they ever did a live action American Sailor Moon. I would like to see Brenda Song played Usagi. She played a very Usagi like character in London Tipton in the Suite Life series and I definitely think she could do Usagi justice. For some other characters I always thought that Lana Parrilla aka Regina/The Evil Queen from Once Upon a Time would be an excellent candidate to play Queen Beryl as she can be quite evil and yet sympathetic at the same time. I also thought that Uma Thurman would make an excellent Sailor Galaxia as she definitely has the regality and could play her fierceness well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:47 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membership
MariaTenebre wrote:
Personally I have always stated that if they ever did a live action American Sailor Moon. I would like to see Brenda Song played Usagi. She played a very Usagi like character in London Tipton in the Suite Life series and I definitely think she could do Usagi justice. For some other characters I always thought that Lana Parrilla aka Regina/The Evil Queen from Once Upon a Time would be an excellent candidate to play Queen Beryl as she can be quite evil and yet sympathetic at the same time. I also thought that Uma Thurman would make an excellent Sailor Galaxia as she definitely has the regality and could play her fierceness well.

Not bad casting choices. I like it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:48 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Neon Genesis wrote:
If they did make a live action movie, I'd imagine they would split the first season up into a trilogy.

An intriguing idea. How do you propose to split the season up into three parts?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:09 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: No.1 Mercury Fanboy
Somehow, I kinda compare Cersei from GoT to Galaxia...

You know, Evil Queen, (reddish-)blonde hair, eccentric head piece for a crown, sits on an even more eccentric throne etc...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:52 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
doctorwho29 wrote:

They could cover the Jadeite and Nephite arcs in the first movie, the Rainbow Crystal arc in the second movie, and then the Kunzite arc in the third film, assuming they decided to follow the 90s anime.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:48 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Neon Genesis wrote:
doctorwho29 wrote:

They could cover the Jadeite and Nephite arcs in the first movie, the Rainbow Crystal arc in the second movie, and then the Kunzite arc in the third film, assuming they decided to follow the 90s anime.

Yeah that could work

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:18 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
If it happens Lionsgate could be involved with the film like the 2017 Power Rangers, and Jennifer Morrison could be the producer or director. Plus I kinda see Bryce Dallas Howard as Queen Beryl. Unless they change the plot of saying that Beryl was the original Sailor Guardian of Earth before Queen Metalia corrupted her.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:25 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I wouldn't let Hollywood touch Sailor Moon with a 10 ft pole.

PGSM and the musicals are enough live action adaptations.

And something would feel really wrong about casting non-japanese actors to play the senshi, which I know would most definitely happen. NOT here for Scarlett Johanson as Usagi.

Futari de ita yo ne
Hoshitachi ni
Mamorarete"    
  * .     ✦

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:34 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
venus-noona wrote:
And something would feel really wrong about casting non-japanese actors to play the senshi, which I know would most definitely happen. NOT here for Scarlett Johanson as Usagi.

I think she could still play a villainess, tho. :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:35 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
venus-noona wrote:

I think she could still play a villainess, tho. :)

NO!!! Queen Beryl obviously comes from Japan and the story wouldn't be the same if her ethnicity changed, it would be really wrong if the big Hollywood meanies whitewashed her. :lol:

Putting sarcasm aside, Naoko and Osa-P stated in an interview to ROLa magazine that they already got such offer from Hollywood, and declined it because they thought the series essence would be lost.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:59 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Remember when Megan Fox said in the press that Hollywood should make a Sailor Moon Movie and that it could actually be really cool if they did it right?

http://kotaku.com/megan-fox-would-love- ... 1562276493

Somebody needs to get a kick starter going....and everyone should start tweeting it to Megan Fox & Michael Bay & other directors and producers. Eventually it'll get picked up and somebody will realize how much money they could make off of it from United States and the rest of the world. I'm sure Naoko & Toei would consider it for the right price. They'd have to pay them ALOT and be okay with Toei and Naoko being heavily involved in the project.

But probably not but that's okay. My Hollywood Sailor Moon is Kelly Eden. Seriously have you guys seen her live action Sailor Moon videos on her youtube channel?? They're not bad!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:22 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
It's not just white actors, though. I'm not here for latinas (latino here btw) or black women playing the senshi either. And I'm EXTRA ESPECIALLY not here for them getting Chinese, Korean or Thai actors to play the JAPANESE characters, since Hollywood tends to think asians are interchangeable. Unless the movie is based off the DiC dub which apparently follows the adventures of 5 valley girls in tokyo. However, I don't wanna start an argument on this, just my opinion and the biggest reason I wouldn't care for a Sailor Moon film.

Also, how are they gonna handle transformations and all the magic stuff? I feel like no matter how advanced our special effects are it's still gonna look cheesy at best, cringeworthy at worst. It would be like Dragon Ball Evolution with miniskirts.

Futari de ita yo ne
Hoshitachi ni
Mamorarete"    
  * .     ✦

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:34 am 
Stella
Stella
Onuzim Ima wrote:
Somehow, I kinda compare Cersei from GoT to Galaxia...

You know, Evil Queen, (reddish-)blonde hair, eccentric head piece for a crown, sits on an even more eccentric throne etc...

Yeah I think Lena Headey could make a good Sailor Galaxia too she is also a good choice.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:35 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: 田中れいな押し。
Yeah, in theory, it would be cool. But when I think about it more... No. I'm not a fan of Hollywood's whitewashing and localizing of certain foreign stories, it loses the heart of the story, and this would undoubtedly happen to Sailor Moon. I much rather see a modern adaptation of PGSM, made into a movie, done in Japan, with upgraded graphics, and perhaps a new story. If Hollywood could do that, with a Japanese cast, by all means, go for it, but their track record sucks.

(And thank god, Ghost in the Shell flopped. ScarJo was a horrible choice.)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:07 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
880yen wrote:
And thank god, Ghost in the Shell flopped. ScarJo was a horrible choice.

Is that because of her or in spite of her? :P

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:13 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
880yen wrote:

I really doubt she was the reason for its flop.
The general american public doesn't identify with asian characters, that's why series and movies with black or latino leads are so much more common than series and movies with asian leads.
If they had cast a Japanese actress instead of Scarlett, the movie's appeal would have been even smaller.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:31 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
880yen wrote:
I much rather see a modern adaptation of PGSM, made into a movie, done in Japan, with upgraded graphics, and perhaps a new story.

What if it ended up like Cutie Honey Tears? :orly:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:43 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
NJ_ wrote:
880yen wrote:
I much rather see a modern adaptation of PGSM, made into a movie, done in Japan, with upgraded graphics, and perhaps a new story.

What if it ended up like Cutie Honey Tears? :orly:

That'd be bad :ninja: - I think if a PGSM movie were to be made, it should inherit the style of the TV series even w/ a new story, while other technical stuff could be upgraded w/ the bigger budget.

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:51 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: 田中れいな押し。
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
880yen wrote:

Don't think she was the reason it flopped, but plenty of people were preeeeetty mad they cast her... She was kinda insensitive to people's voiced concerns too. Personally, I'm not a ScarJo fan at all so yeah, that's my own personal feeling.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:38 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
880yen wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
880yen wrote:

Don't think she was the reason it flopped, but plenty of people were preeeeetty mad they cast her... She was kinda insensitive to people's voiced concerns too.

So she could easily become a scapegoat for the flop. lol

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:11 am 
Stella
Stella
venus-noona wrote:
It's not just white actors, though. I'm not here for latinas (latino here btw) or black women playing the senshi either. And I'm EXTRA ESPECIALLY not here for them getting Chinese, Korean or Thai actors to play the JAPANESE characters, since Hollywood tends to think asians are interchangeable. Unless the movie is based off the DiC dub which apparently follows the adventures of 5 valley girls in tokyo. However, I don't wanna start an argument on this, just my opinion and the biggest reason I wouldn't care for a Sailor Moon film.

Also, how are they gonna handle transformations and all the magic stuff? I feel like no matter how advanced our special effects are it's still gonna look cheesy at best, cringeworthy at worst. It would be like Dragon Ball Evolution with miniskirts.

You do realize that even White people in general can play anyone of European descent. Ralph Fiennes can play an American, Brit or German and yet no one bats an eye but if you get a Chinese person to play a Japanese person all of a sudden that is an issue. If you are Asian then you should be able to play Asian roles across the board just like White people can play European roles across the board there has to be some quantifier I believe Sandra Oh even said as much.

kevoso96 wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
880yen wrote:

I really doubt she was the reason for its flop.
The general american public doesn't identify with asian characters, that's why series and movies with black or latino leads are so much more common than series and movies with asian leads.
If they had cast a Japanese actress instead of Scarlett, the movie's appeal would have been even smaller.

Actually this is not true diverse casts tend to do better also there are plenty of movies starring Asian leads that have done well. This was basically Hollywood being racist.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:20 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
880yen wrote:

That is if the original cast reprises their roles.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:52 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
If there is a Sailor Moon live action film I think it would be based off both the manga, but with well the first English dub names. Plus what about Jennifer Morrison being the director of the film. While Ghost in the Shell flop like everyone said, but if it uses the style of 2017 Power Rangers like if Queen Beryl was a rogue Sailor Guardian that killed her former allies, but was sealed away by Queen Serenity the first Sailor Moon hoping that the descendants of the first Sailor Guardians (Serena, Amy, Raye, Lita, and Mina) could stop Beryl if she were to return.