Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Would Hollywood Make Live Action Sailor Moon?
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:53 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
MariaTenebre wrote:
Actually this is not true diverse casts tend to do better also there are plenty of movies starring Asian leads that have done well. This was basically Hollywood being racist.

Actually the racist mentality lies within the concept that only Japanese actors can play roles in live-action adaptations of anime.
This you are offering is the actual concept that is all about race (therefore racist), not Hollywood taking freedom to cast leads no matter what their ethnicity is. They care less about race than you do. For this thread not to get political, this is will be my last comment on the subject.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:31 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Darkstar7 wrote:
If there is a Sailor Moon live action film I think it would be based off both the manga, but with well the first English dub names. Plus what about Jennifer Morrison being the director of the film. While Ghost in the Shell flop like everyone said, but if it uses the style of 2017 Power Rangers like if Queen Beryl was a rogue Sailor Guardian that killed her former allies, but was sealed away by Queen Serenity the first Sailor Moon hoping that the descendants of the first Sailor Guardians (Serena, Amy, Raye, Lita, and Mina) could stop Beryl if she were to return.

Then it could be titled Sailor Rangers. :lol:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:13 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
kevoso96 wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:
Actually this is not true diverse casts tend to do better also there are plenty of movies starring Asian leads that have done well. This was basically Hollywood being racist.

Actually the racist mentality lies within the concept that only Japanese actors can play roles in live-action adaptations of anime.
This you are offering is the actual concept that is all about race (therefore racist), not Hollywood taking freedom to cast leads no matter what their ethnicity is. They care less about race than you do. For this thread not to get political, this is will be my last comment on the subject.

And yet most leads tend to be white?
I think that's a point that can be ignored, since its so prominent. Its stupid to claim reverse racism when asian american/asian actors are being looked over due to not being "international" enough -that's one of the reasons that white washing happens. I may sound blunt but while there are more factors than just race its stupid to flip the racism argument on somebody while ignoring the main issue.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:58 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Darkstar7 wrote:
If there is a Sailor Moon live action film I think it would be based off both the manga, but with well the first English dub names. Plus what about Jennifer Morrison being the director of the film. While Ghost in the Shell flop like everyone said, but if it uses the style of 2017 Power Rangers like if Queen Beryl was a rogue Sailor Guardian that killed her former allies, but was sealed away by Queen Serenity the first Sailor Moon hoping that the descendants of the first Sailor Guardians (Serena, Amy, Raye, Lita, and Mina) could stop Beryl if she were to return.

It would still be title Sailor Moon. What do you think if Jennifer Morrison who is well known for her portrayal as Emma Swan direct & produce the live action Sailor Moon?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:27 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
I really can't see it happening. I don't think SM is main stream enough. If it was I'm pretty sure it would be garbage anyways

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:22 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
kevoso96 wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
880yen wrote:
And thank god, Ghost in the Shell flopped. ScarJo was a horrible choice.

Is that because of her or in spite of her? :P

I really doubt she was the reason for its flop.
The general american public doesn't identify with asian characters, that's why series and movies with black or latino leads are so much more common than series and movies with asian leads.
If they had cast a Japanese actress instead of Scarlett, the movie's appeal would have been even smaller.

The film really didn't flop it got 169 million dollars vs 110 million dollar budget. Power Rangers got 140 million vs 100 million dollar budget. Most criticism I saw was the plot of the movie.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:09 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Darkstar7 wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Darkstar7 wrote:

It would still be title Sailor Moon. What do you think if Jennifer Morrison who is well known for her portrayal as Emma Swan direct & produce the live action Sailor Moon?

I'm not familiar w/ her, hence no comment. :)

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:48 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
Other: 田中れいな押し。
Darkstar7 wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Darkstar7 wrote:

I love Jennifer, but I don't know how it would turn out. (Maybe if she got the backing from OUAT but a better CGI budget. Lord knows I looooove OUAT but it has several issues.) Why is she being named as a possible producer anyway...?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:07 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Well she produce 18 episodes of Glee, and directed 2 films. So she could easily be both director & producer of a live action Sailor Moon film even if Lionsgate & Walt Disney Studios produce the film. Plus what do you think of Bryce Dallas Howard portray Beryl as a corrupted rogue Sailor Guardian?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:50 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
imaginationgirl wrote:
The film really didn't flop it got 169 million dollars vs 110 million dollar budget. Power Rangers got 140 million vs 100 million dollar budget. Most criticism I saw was the plot of the movie.

Both films technically did flop, since neither has made back their marketing budget, and neither made up their basic production budget domestically. Ghost in the Shell tanked domestically, but did okay overseas. Power Rangers did okay here, but tanked overseas.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:26 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
As for Amy since she is known to have blue hair I think she would have blonde hair with blue highlights.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:37 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Darkstar7 wrote:
As for Amy since she is known to have blue hair I think she would have blonde hair with blue highlights.

Well, these days many girls love to dye their hair in blue, so even blue hair could work in a live-action. lol

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:59 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Darkstar7 wrote:

Well, these days many girls love to dye their hair in blue, so even blue hair could work in a live-action. lol

True thought this would make sense if Amy had blonde hair with blue highlights.