Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Sailor Moon Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:56 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Cat
It goes without saying that if you post here, you probably love the series, at least in one of its incarnations. But that being said, I think we probably all have our own pet peeves about it. Let's air them out here!

Note: Please try to not jump on others for their opinions. Discussion is fine, but opinions are opinions. Let's respect each other. :)

I'll start!

It's always driven me crazy that the animators lots their minds when it came to Sailor Moon/Neo-Queen Serenity's crescent moon. Her moon has always been at the top of her forehead, either framed by or just beneath that divit in her bangs, whether she's Neo-Queen, Princess, or Sailor Moon. But not in SM R, nooo!

This is how her Moon is supposed to look.

Um... NQS?

Your moon is uh... shrinking.

I'd look grumpy too if my moon slid down to my nose.

Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:28 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
^ Heh, in time it'd drop to the tip of her nose. :lol:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:11 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Nope, it'll be on her chin before we know it XD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:59 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Maybe she can be a punk-Neo-Queen and wear it as a nose ring. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:05 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Lingering Spirit
foenyanko wrote:
Maybe she can be a punk-Neo-Queen and wear it as a nose ring. :lol:

Someone should photoshop that !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:49 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 27 months ago
inactive
"Using that disc is cheating" From the redub episode where mercury arrives.

"Studying is something you do with you rmind, not a machine" sounds a lot better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:46 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 8 months ago
inactive
Other: 4th Regeneration
Something I don't get that annoys me from the entire series:

They are called "Sailor Soldiers" or "Sailor Guardians" and they do a lot of fighting and butt-kicking, which is awesome.

My pet peeve is they don't they have armor or better protection against attacks.

It's always kind of annoyed me and it seems really illogical and moronic (the logic is true of most of the fantasy/sci-fi genre; the less armor women wear, the more protected they are. Take for example the "bikini armor" that riddles the fantasy genre. One good sharp object to the stomach or back and you die horribly. I don't get it). These are the people who are supposed to be guarding the princess (or in the case of the Outer Senshi, protecting the kingdom from outside threats), but all they get is a white swimsuit with bows, assorted shoes, some gloves and a mini mini mini mini mini skirt?

That's like giving swimsuits and water pistols to the Secret Service who guard the President, or sending a soldier into battle with nothing on but shorts and a t-shirt.

The fuku are nice and all, but they don't seem to offer much in the way of actual protection. In the classic anime, there were several examples of the Fuku getting badly damaged (i.e. Black Dream Hole) and they didn't seem to do anything for the Senshi. Or, when traipsing across the North Pole, Sailor Moon's Fuku didn't seem to do much to keep her warm. With the amount of exposure, she should have frozen to death long before facing off against Beyrl.

The fuku don't seem to offer much in the way of protection, so what's the point of them? The SM canon clearly established that the Moon Kingdom was quite advanced and had the capability to essentially download someone into a computer. I can't imagine a society that can do that wouldn't have better protection. Even if the Senshi are more about dodging attacks, or using their powers to stop attacks (which we've seen isn't always effective) it would be useful to have SOME basic protection as insurance. Yet, there's nothing.

Is anyone else confused and irked by this?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:57 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
Pluto should

just pick

a freaking

COLOR SCHEME

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:37 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Darth Moonie wrote:
My pet peeve is they don't they have armor or better protection against attacks.

These are the people who are supposed to be guarding the princess, but all they get is a white swimsuit with bows, assorted shoes, some gloves and a mini mini mini mini mini skirt?

The fuku are nice and all, but they don't seem to offer much in the way of actual protection. In the classic anime, there were several examples of the Fuku getting badly damaged (i.e. Black Dream Hole) and they didn't seem to do anything for the Senshi. Or, when traipsing across the North Pole, Sailor Moon's Fuku didn't seem to do much to keep her warm. With the amount of exposure, she should have frozen to death long before facing off against Beyrl.

Is anyone else confused and irked by this?

I see what you mean, but to be fair this was kind of addressed in Vol. 2 of Codename Sailor V by Minako (“First there’s that Sailor-suit costume. It lacks any style! It’s drafty!). She later uses her compact to change into “a Sentai-Heroine-style Armored Warrior” but her new armor was too heavy and it made it difficult for her to move, so she ended up changing back to her old costume (“Ahh, this is so light! It’s so easy to move around in this costume!”).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:20 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 20 months ago
inactive
I don't like how in the R season Neo-Queen Serenity is sovereign and wise and then in S she sends a mispelled letter showing that she remained a clutz all the way into Crystal Tokyo. C'mon, you'd think she'd eventually wise up.

I headcanon that Chibs wrote that letter herself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:37 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 8 months ago
inactive
Other: 4th Regeneration
Plumbers Helper wrote:
I see what you mean, but to be fair this was kind of addressed in Vol. 2 of Codename Sailor V by Minako (“First there’s that Sailor-suit costume. It lacks any style! It’s drafty!). She later uses her compact to change into “a Sentai-Heroine-style Armored Warrior” but her new armor was too heavy and it made it difficult for her to move, so she ended up changing back to her old costume (“Ahh, this is so light! It’s so easy to move around in this costume!”).

Even then, they could have started them out with armor, and/or had them get used to it, rather than attempting to add it later.

And that's my pet peeve. The Sailor V point is interesting, but not a good explanation as to why they didn't start out with armor. I don't think they need super-bulky plate armor-esque stuff, but they should have had something that offered a bit of protection. Again, they've established that the Moon Kingdom was rather advanced. It would have been really easy, and believable, to say they had a super-light and really strong armor that protected them AND let them have the same flexibility/dexterity.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:19 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
How do you know their uniforms don't offer them armor-like protection? I mean, they do have shoulder pads and breastplates...

Also, you keep mentioning the Moon Kingdom. You know that Sailor Guardians aren't limited to the Solar System, right? Sailor Kakyu, the Star Lights, Sailor Lethe, Sailor Mnemosyne, etc... All of their uniforms are as practical/protective as the Solar Sailors' uniforms are, perhaps even less so. Of all the Sailors we see, Galaxia's is probably the most traditionally armor like.

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:09 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
How all the Senshi look identical to their civilian selves yet nobody puts 2 and 2 together
Not counting pgsm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:22 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Prince Rose wrote:
How all the Senshi look identical to their civilian selves yet nobody puts 2 and 2 together
Not counting pgsm

The fandom, including myself attributes that to magic, their transformation creates some kind of perception filter that makes it hard to identify them.

Anyway it's better than Nightwing's way of hiding his identity, sticking an eye mask on his face, bam! No one recognizes him.

As for the amour, this might be explained that their outfits are mainly to protect them from enemy magic. Because most Sailor Moon enemies attack the girls with magic, in fact you'll notice that when enemies use physical attacks, the girls get really hurt.

This is probably due to The War on the Moon, in which the girls probably fought the enemies that used Beryl's/Metalica's magic, while the Moon army fought the Earth army.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:16 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Fokkusu wrote:
Pluto should just pick a freaking COLOR SCHEME

And you didn't even include her "new" hot-pink accessories or her ever-changing skin tone :P

NinjaUsagi wrote:
I don't like how in the R season Neo-Queen Serenity is sovereign and wise and then in S she sends a mispelled letter showing that she remained a clutz all the way into Crystal Tokyo. C'mon, you'd think she'd eventually wise up.

I buy this more in the manga than the anime.. we know that NQS is impulsive enough to want to see her younger self even though it might screw up time itself, or even kill them/poof them both out of existence, so I can sort of imagine her still being immature/unwilling to learn proper kanji.

But the OG anime NQS didn't meet her younger self, and wouldn't even pick up her kid when she fell down and got hurt... she seems colder to me, and more mature.

But either way, yeah, 900 years pass and you can't learn kanji? :P Maybe NQS should've enacted a brand new, simplistic writing system. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:59 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
foenyanko wrote:
Fokkusu wrote:
Pluto should just pick a freaking COLOR SCHEME

And you didn't even include her "new" hot-pink accessories or her ever-changing skin tone :P

She's such a colorful character. P-:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:05 pm 
Luna
Luna
Prince Rose wrote:
Not counting pgsm

People figure it out in the manga.

NinjaUsagi wrote:

The ironic part is she writes the most difficult words in kanji but spells out everything else.

The letter was actually updated from the original version to include more words that probably should have been written in kanji.

There aren't any misspellings though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:45 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Darth Moonie wrote:
or sending a soldier into battle with nothing on but shorts and a t-shirt.

That's a popular military uniform in Africa, actually. Plus flip-flops.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:12 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: Male straight
Maraviollantes wrote:
Darth Moonie wrote:
or sending a soldier into battle with nothing on but shorts and a t-shirt.

That's a popular military uniform in Africa, actually. Plus flip-flops.

I was about to say many countries once had non armour uniforms even after armour had been discovered. I once heard of a story about how some Chinese soldiers wearing regular cloths once beat some armoured European warriors...I can't remember what year it was though...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:44 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hypno wrote:
I once heard of a story about how some Chinese soldiers wearing regular cloths once beat some armoured European warriors...I can't remember what year it was though...

Sounds like synopsis of a Jet Lee movie. P-:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:57 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
my pet peeve with SM was the dub names especially when it came to An and Ai, the dub called them Anne and Allen but never gave them an alien name I think anyone would put two and two together when your enemies names are Anne and Allen then two new students arrive bearing the same ☹ name

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:30 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
my pet peeve with SM was the dub names especially when it came to An and Ai, the dub called them Anne and Allen but never gave them an alien name I think anyone would put two and two together when your enemies names are Anne and Allen then two new students arrive bearing the same ☹ name

Yeah, it was pretty awful. Plus Rei's extrasensory perception and Ami's intellect/scanning abilities totally went out the window...

Speaking of episodes, I thought the ice skating episode where the Dark Kingdom was trying to identify the Senshi by literally having a computer match people to their silhouettes was ABSURD. I mean, we have all pretty much decided that there's some kind of sensory-altering magic on the Senshi to make it harder for people to recognize them. But all it takes is a computer program matching cut-outs of the senshi to random civilians? You couldn't do that with your own eyes? :|

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:35 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Other: Married To NQS!
foenyanko wrote:
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:

Yeah, it was pretty awful. Plus Rei's extrasensory perception and Ami's intellect/scanning abilities totally went out the window...

Speaking of episodes, I thought the ice skating episode where the Dark Kingdom was trying to identify the Senshi by literally having a computer match people to their silhouettes was ABSURD. I mean, we have all pretty much decided that there's some kind of sensory-altering magic on the Senshi to make it harder for people to recognize them. But all it takes is a computer program matching cut-outs of the senshi to random civilians? You couldn't do that with your own eyes? :|

odd from what I remember Ami was still smart in the original dub although I didn't care for Rei in the original anime mainly because Usagi would compliment her and she would turn around and insult her which was evident in the filler arc when Rei sang Ei No Melody/Oh Starry Night Usagi complimented her on her performance and Rei turned around and insulted her

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:48 pm 
inactive
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:

My 6-year-old niece picked up on that, and she thought it was more confusing than them having two names. Haha.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:10 pm 
inactive
My biggest pet peeve of all is how Saturn got shafted in the 90s anime and in the old merchandise. Finally she's getting her fair share of merch now! If Crystal gets to S, SuperS, and Stars, hopefully the inclusion of Saturn is something they'll get right too.

I was also annoyed with the lack of Heavy Metal Papillion, Phi, Chi, Lethe, and Mnemosyne when I first watched the 90s anime of Stars. I remember watching my Stars fansub tapes back in the VHS era and being surprised they weren't included. Don't get me wrong, I love the Stars season, but I loved the manga version even more.

Also, this isn't a pet peeve so much as a confusing observation, but the division of the "inner" senshi and "outer" senshi is pretty arbitrary. Jupiter is not an inner planet. It would make sense if Saturn was included in the original line-up with Jupiter, because Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn are all visible to the unaided eye and have been known about since ancient times, but the "new" planets Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto generally cannot be seen without a telescope.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:04 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
foenyanko wrote:
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:

odd from what I remember Ami was still smart in the original dub although

Oops! I didn't mean the dub, just in general. Sorry, I wasn't clear. Neither of them were able to detect An and Ai in their human form, nor recognized them when they appeared as their true forms. It bugs me when skills/abilities are conveniently forgotten about or stop working to suit a plot.

Fokkusu wrote:
My biggest pet peeve of all is how Saturn got shafted in the 90s anime and in the old merchandise. Finally she's getting her fair share of merch now! If Crystal gets to S, SuperS, and Stars, hopefully the inclusion of Saturn is something they'll get right too.

Totally agree. I know it's been said a million times, but I wish they hadn't left out Planet Power for the Inners and Crystal Power for the Outers, too. D:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:23 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Fokkusu wrote:

I was also annoyed with the lack of Heavy Metal Papillion, Phi, Chi, Lethe, and Mnemosyne when I first watched the 90s anime of Stars. I remember watching my Stars fansub tapes back in the VHS era and being surprised they weren't included. Don't get me wrong, I love the Stars season, but I loved the manga version even more.

Also, this isn't a pet peeve so much as a confusing observation, but the division of the "inner" senshi and "outer" senshi is pretty arbitrary. Jupiter is not an inner planet. It would make sense if Saturn was included in the original line-up with Jupiter, because Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn are all visible to the unaided eye and have been known about since ancient times, but the "new" planets Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto generally cannot be seen without a telescope.

I always thought that Inner and Outer just referred to whether or not a senshi was in Usagi's immediate circle of friends.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:55 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
1. "Inner Senshi" is a fan-made term. Nowhere in the manga are they referred to as such.

2. "Outer Senshi" (or, rather, the Senshi of the Outer Solar System) refers only to Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto, who ARE the Sailors of the three outermost planets of the solar system (barring Pluto's reclassification and the future appearance of Nemesis and/or other planets) so that title makes sense for them.

3. Sailor Saturn is neither an "Inner" or an "Outer" Senshi. She's ~on her own~ which perhaps explains why she's also a part, presumably, of Chibi Moon's future team.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:47 am 
inactive
StarHealerTornado wrote:
1. "Inner Senshi" is a fan-made term. Nowhere in the manga are they referred to as such.

2. "Outer Senshi" (or, rather, the Senshi of the Outer Solar System) refers only to Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto, who ARE the Sailors of the three outermost planets of the solar system (barring Pluto's reclassification and the future appearance of Nemesis and/or other planets) so that title makes sense for them.

3. Sailor Saturn is neither an "Inner" or an "Outer" Senshi. She's ~on her own~ which perhaps explains why she's also a part, presumably, of Chibi Moon's future team.

1. Yes, I know, thus why I used quotations. :roll:

2. It seems to unofficially refer to Saturn too though, because she is almost always depicted with them in SuperS in the manga and both the anime and manga in Stars.

3. Source? I honestly don't recall anywhere that actually said Saturn was part of Chibimoon's future team. :confused:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:50 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
That's why I said "presumably." There's that image in the fifth art book of Chibi Moon with the Amazon/Asteroid Senshi (who are her team) and Saturn. Since Saturn is about the same age as them, perhaps she decides to continue on as part of Chibi Moon's team rather than as part of Sailor Moon's retinue.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next