Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:18 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Even if they were getting friendlier, it still showed that they were lightening up on each other and feeling more pleasant around each other. I kinda disagree on the denial part. While Mamoru didn't show denial, Usagi did. She went around complaining and fussing with him all the time, but she managed to get jealous when he first started dating Rei and when Rei was trying to go on a date with him in episode 31. Throughout the episodes, Usagi would blush at him sometimes while they are bantering. Now I will admit that some of it could have been out of embarrassment, but in some cases like episode 2, she blushed out of nowhere.

There's also the fact that Mamoru keeps bringing up things related to Usagi's dating life. He says to Motoki after their (Usagi and Mamoru's) banter "I guess we weren't meant for each other" and in episode 2, with the whole "you'll never get a boyfriend with that behavior ". Then there's that thing with Motoki and Reika and how he discouraged Usagi and Mako from going after him by saying he only sees them as little sisters, but when Usagi left he gave out info to Mako and said that she might have a fighting chance with Motoki.

However, I respect your opinion if you feel differently about it. lol I'm just pointing out where I'm getting these ideas from.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:34 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
I don't know understand why fans always complain about Haruka kissing Usagi but dismiss Tuxedo Mask kidding Usagi while she's drunk.

Consent never seems to be an issue in anime and manga which can be exciting for the reader or viewer I guess but it sends a bad message I think. Seems what tends to matter more with the audience is the intentions of the attacker. If its an act of passion it always slides.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:55 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Enjoy Yourself
I don't dismiss the chiba drunk scene over Haruka I'm more annoyed at chiba :|

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:44 pm 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:
Some other pet peeves I have that I've been thinking about lately (some of which I've mentioned in the Crystal sub-forum Stars thread):

1. Usagi's inconsistent Eternal Sailor Moon transformation phrases. Is it Moon Eternal Power..., Moon Eternal..., or Silver Moon Crystal Power...? Pick ONE and stick with it, Naoko, or at least provide an in-story reason for the change!

2. Eternal Sailor Moon's attacks. "Starlight Honeymoon Therapy Kiss" is weird/clunky, and "Silver Moon Crystal Power [Therapy] Kiss" is a mouthful and downright lazy.

3. And, of course, speaking of weird attacks in Stars....I still don't know what the heck Naoko was thinking with "Star Gentle Uterus." She came up with a whole laundry list of attacks for the Starlights and, of the three she actually used in series, THAT was the one she picked for Maker? Okay then...

4. Furthermore, it bothers me that only Uranus and Neptune get new attacks of all the Inners and Outers. (Unless if Saturn had a new attack too? I don't remember.) Like, why do THEY get new attacks? Why don't the others? Why don't ANY of them get new transformation phrases? Why are none of them addressed as "Eternal Sailor _______?"

5. And, on a related note, it bothers me that the Asteroid Senshi are in Eternal mode straight off the bat. Like, everyone else has been fighting and training and gradually getting more and more power to reach that upgrade, but Sailor Ceres and company just get to start out at that level? It honestly makes it seem like that whole upgrade was less about the Sailors reaching a new level of power, and more about Naoko being lazy and probably finding it a lot easier to draw all the characters if their uniforms were, well, all uniform. (And, as others have complained, I too am not a fan of the lack of individuality in the Eternal uniforms.)

6. It also bothers me that while Usagi, Chibiusa, and Mamoru have unique Sailor Crystals (the lotus shaped Silver Moon Crystal and Golden Crystal, the rose shaped Pink Moon Crystal), the others just have generic heart-shaped crystals. Why isn't the "Mercury Crystal" called the "Blue Mercury Crystal" or the "Sapphire Mercury Crystal" and water lily shaped or something? It's so boring/lazy. Similarly, that Usagi and Mamoru were "Serenity" and "Endymion" in the past but everyone else was just "Princess Mars" or "Princess Saturn" or whatever is lazy, too. Why couldn't they have had unique, interesting Princess names?

7. And, on a related note to that, while I love the whole idea of the Sailors all having their own castles (speaking of which - since Minako/Venus's Magellan Castle was first mentioned in "The Birth of Sailor V!" chapter of the Sailor V manga, which I think was published sometime in 1992?, I'm not sure why it took so long for the whole castles thing to appear in the main Sailor Moon manga. I feel like it should have been introduced a lot earlier, maybe the Black Moon arc? Anyway.), I do find it annoying that Mars's castle is called "Phobos and Deimos Castle." I get that each castle is named for each planet's major moon (or artificial satellite, as the case may be), but Rei already has crows named Phobos and Deimos. Who are apparently from another planet. So what? She just happened to choose (or, conversely, deliberately sought out) two crow people alien whatevers from Coronis to be her guards who shared the name of her castle? I get it would have broken the naming convention, but I think "Olympus Castle" (for Olympus Mons) would have been a much better idea.

Actually I don't think that the Asteroid Senshi were in their Eternal form. I think that the Senshi form they were shown in the manga was their first form even though it looked like the other's Eternal forms it was still very different. Like for instance their shoulder pads were all white instead of the color scheme of the other Senshi. They had no star on their choker and their bows looked more like the other Senshi's first forms then their Eternal forms.

Next I personally see no issue with Mars's castle being called Phobos Deimos castle. As for one each castle is named after their lead Moon and Phobos and Deimos were Sailor Mars's lead guardians. Maybe if the series continued the other Senshi would have gotten guardians named after their lead Moons.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:16 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
^ Let's agree to disagree, Maria.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:09 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Cierra Moon wrote:
I tied this to Tuxedo Mask kissing Usagi because to some degree it shows that he's more attracted to her than Rei.
But Tuxedo Mask never had anything to do with Rei at that point in the show. He and Mamoru were still separate at that time.

Cierra Moon wrote:
Even if they were getting friendlier, it still showed that they were lightening up on each other and feeling more pleasant around each other.
On that, we agree, but that isn't what you said before. You were claiming that Usagi was starting to like and fall in love with Mamoru by that point in the same way that she had with Tuxedo Mask, which wasn't the case and isn't the same thing as her and Mamoru "lightening up" and "feeling more pleasant" with each other.

Cierra Moon wrote:
I kinda disagree on the denial part. While Mamoru didn't show denial, Usagi did.
When I mentioned "denial", I was talking about fans, not the characters, as you had implied that you were referring to the fans when you asked "how come people can't accept that Usagi is attracted to both of Mamoru's personas?"

Cierra Moon wrote:
She went around complaining and fussing with him all the time,
Not "all the time", only whenever the plot called for her to do so, which was frequent enough since they kept encountering each other, but whenever Usagi cooled off afterwards, she'd move on to some other subject to focus her attention on.

Cierra Moon wrote:
but she managed to get jealous when he first started dating Rei and when Rei was trying to go on a date with him in episode 31.
That wasn't rooted in any fondness Usagi herself had for Mamoru (as she had none at that point in the show). It was because Usagi disapproved of the idea of Rei, one of her friends, dating a guy that Usagi personally disliked. The very idea was audacious and irksome to Usagi as, to her, it was like Rei was dating Usagi's worst enemy.

Cierra Moon wrote:
Throughout the episodes, Usagi would blush at him sometimes while they are bantering. Now I will admit that some of it could have been out of embarrassment, but in some cases like episode 2, she blushed out of nowhere.
That blushing in episode 2 is the kind of blushing seen in anime when a character takes offense to be belittled by someone. Even after Mamoru walks off, Usagi's still sour from that moment.

Cierra Moon wrote:
There's also the fact that Mamoru keeps bringing up things related to Usagi's dating life. He says to Motoki after their (Usagi and Mamoru's) banter "I guess we weren't meant for each other" and in episode 2, with the whole "you'll never get a boyfriend with that behavior ".
Playful dramatic irony on the writers' part, since they knew ahead of time that Usagi and Mamoru would end up together later on.

Cierra Moon wrote:
Then there's that thing with Motoki and Reika and how he discouraged Usagi and Mako from going after him by saying he only sees them as little sisters, but when Usagi left he gave out info to Mako and said that she might have a fighting chance with Motoki.
It was a passing mention. He didn't mean to give Makoto hope that she might have a chance with Motoki. The thought had only just then crossed his mind at that moment, and Makoto immediately cut him off when she started humorously choking him for more info.

Cierra Moon wrote:
However, I respect your opinion if you feel differently about it. lol I'm just pointing out where I'm getting these ideas from.
Understood. :thumbsup:

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:54 am 
Stella
Stella
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
^ Let's agree to disagree, Maria.

Ok but I don't even know what we are disagreeing about. My post was towards MementoNepenthe.

Also I have to disagree with Sabrblade I think that Usagi and Mamoru always had an attraction to her and like little kids the only way they knew to bring it out was teasing. We see this same trope on tons of fictional series.. On the episode when they get their memories back the two even exchange in flirting. Also I think it was definitely implied that Usagi was jealous of Rei dating Mamoru because she had feelings for him even though she wouldn't admit it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:01 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
MariaTenebre wrote:

Also I have to disagree with Sabrblade I think that Usagi and Mamoru always had an attraction to her and like little kids the only way they knew to bring it out was teasing. We see this same trope on tons of fictional series.. On the episode when they get their memories back the two even exchange in flirting. Also I think it was definitely implied that Usagi was jealous of Rei dating Mamoru because she had feelings for him even though she wouldn't admit it

I agree with this

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:11 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
[quote= "Sabrblade"] Playful dramatic irony on the writers' part, since they knew ahead of time that Usagi and Mamoru would end up together later on.[/quote]

And most guys around that age like to joke about that stuff when they like a girl. I had a few of those "dating/boyfriend" comments thrown at me a couple of times, lol although it was awkward at times when they brought it up out of nowhere.

Sabrblade wrote:
It was a passing mention. He didn't mean to give Makoto hope that she might have a chance with Motoki. The thought had only just then crossed his mind at that moment, and Makoto immediately cut him off when she started humorously choking him for more info.

And Mamoru must have given her some information about Reika leaving since Makoto went to discuss it with Reika later on. He gave her information, but chose not to share with Usagi knowing that she has a thing for Motoki as well. Just saying lol.

Last edited by Cierra Moon on Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:17 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Cierra Moon wrote:
And most guys around that age like to joke about that stuff when they like a girl. I had a few of those "dating/boyfriend" comments thrown at me a couple of times, lol although it was awkward at times when they brought it up out of nowhere.
You also have to take into account the kind of culture that they live in. Since people in Japan don't act the same way that people in America do, that brings about differences in cultural contexts.

Cierra Moon wrote:
And Mamoru must have given her some information about Reika leaving since Makoto went to discuss it with Reika later on. He gave her information, but chose not to share with Usagi knowing that she has a thing for Motoki as well. Just saying lol.
A) Makoto choked Mamoru half to death. She practically forced spill his guts on anything he knew at that point.

and

B) Usagi had left the two by that point. Mamoru couldn't tell Usagi anything since she wasn't with them anymore.

Honestly, y'all are reading way too much into things, here. Sailor Moon is not some kind of deep show that you have to really digest in order to understand some greater hidden subtext buried beneath the surface, especially with how simple and straightforward the first season was. Shucks, people claim the third season to be so "deep and mature" when that season constantly beats viewers over the head with its messages over and over again.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

Last edited by Sabrblade on Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:22 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Sabrblade wrote:
Cierra Moon wrote:
You also have to take into account the kind of culture that they live in. Since people in Japan don't act the same way that people in America do, that brings about differences in cultural contexts.

Cierra Moon wrote:
A) Makoto choked Mamoru half to death. She practically pried any info out of him at that point.

and

B) Usagi had left the two by that point. Mamoru couldn't tell Usagi anything since she wasn't with them anymore.

That doesn't mean they didn't include any American culture contexts. Most animes do that to simply attract Westerners
Yeah, and Usagi left thanks to Mamoru teasing her and discouraging her from having a chance with Motoki.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:19 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Cierra Moon wrote:
That doesn't mean they didn't include any American culture contexts. Most animes do that to simply attract Westerners
Were they doing that back in 1992? The foreign market for anime wasn't nearly as big a deal in Japan back then, 25 years ago, as it is these days.

Cierra Moon wrote:
Yeah, and Usagi left thanks to Mamoru teasing her and discouraging her from having a chance with Motoki.
She left to prove him wrong, though. His snarky comments led to her wanting to pursue Motoki even further, as she went inside the arcade to go talk to Motoki (only he wasn't there that day). Plus, his discouragements were rooted in the notion that he felt that Usagi's and Makoto's interest in Motoki was foolish and fruitless since he knew Motoki both didn't reciprocate their feelings and already had a girlfriend. Mamoru just lacked the tact to properly sway them from wasting their time chasing after the unavailable Motoki, and instead came off far too blunt about it.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:14 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'm sure it's all ready been said but one of my biggest peeves is how non existent most of the non senshi characters become after the first season. I really liked Naru and Usagi's friendship and think it could have been explored even further after they entered high school. I also wish Usagi's family could have had more frequent appearances bc it seemed after the first season they were pushed off to the side lines. Having her family around meddling added a little layer of realism I appreciated in such an unrealistic world.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9