Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:09 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:20 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 17 months ago
inactive
My Sailor Moon pet peeves would be the break
up arc in the R season. I'm re watching R on Hulu
now. I forgot just how much I don't like the 90's anime
Mamoru, until I was reminded of the break up arc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:49 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: gotta go fast
shellysunfish wrote:

that arc is my biggest SM pet peeve :|
especially because it was Lavender boy's [endymoron from the future ] bright idea
to "test" his past self and usagi's relationship, it's not just what he did and how he handled it that bugs me but when he did it also
they weren't together as a couple for very long, every time they got together something pulls them apart first it was the beryl attack on the moon, then just after they discovered each others identities they were separated again when chiba was taken by the dark kingdom and turned evil, after gaining his memories he basically dies just before the final battle with beryl
after usagi's wish chiba loses his memory until the end of the ali-en arc and now that all that stuff is out of the way and they could be together this break up arc happens
really?

that whole arc is a slap in the face to me from the way it was handled to it's cause

Last edited by Prince Rose on Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:59 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
^No matter how screwed up it might end up (hopefully not that much), Crystal will do the Black Moon arc justice either way.

No badly written breakup arc = Instant winner :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:12 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Cat
Totally agree about the break-up. If there hadn't been the filler arc in R, it might've been more tolerable, but the original anime's first 2 seasons went like this:

Mamoru is a Jerk -> Mamoru temporarily stops being a jerk after learning Usagi = Sailor Moon -> Mamoru gets brainwashed, and instead of having 2 episodes/acts of him being creepy, it's tons of episodes of him yanking on Moon's heart strings by "protecting her" from other baddies because he wants to do it himself -> Mamoru practically kills Moon... -> Everyone gets reborn, he goes back to being a jerk -> Remembers who he was, then gets brain-messages from the future and goes right back to being a jerk. ...while still letting Chibi-Usa hang off him.

Bleh. I think those 2 seasons alone were responsible for me not being swayed by their relationship in the OG anime. :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:34 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Lingering Spirit
Ugh , I hated the break-up arc ! It did give us the beautiful "telephone box" scene but that's it .

(Atleast R had some good filler and Crystal will give us a proper Black Moon story)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:21 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
foenyanko wrote:
Totally agree about the break-up. If there hadn't been the filler arc in R, it might've been more tolerable, but the original anime's first 2 seasons went like this:

Mamoru is a Jerk -> Mamoru temporarily stops being a jerk after learning Usagi = Sailor Moon -> Mamoru gets brainwashed, and instead of having 2 episodes/acts of him being creepy, it's tons of episodes of him yanking on Moon's heart strings by "protecting her" from other baddies because he wants to do it himself -> Mamoru practically kills Moon... -> Everyone gets reborn, he goes back to being a jerk -> Remembers who he was, then gets brain-messages from the future and goes right back to being a jerk. ...while still letting Chibi-Usa hang off him.

Bleh. I think those 2 seasons alone were responsible for me not being swayed by their relationship in the OG anime. :P

Yes Mamoru could be a jerk but what many seem to forget is that Usagi could be every bit as jerky and their relationship in the first season was basically them teasing and having fights to cover up their feelings for each other which has been done so many times in other anime. Also I wouldn't say he was jerky during the Al and En arc. In fact in this arc we see them develop feelings for each other without the aid of their memories.

However I didn't like the break up arc but I still don't see why people think that Mamoru was so evil for it. He did what he did by breaking up with Usagi because he thought it was the only way to protect her. Of course I have heard various theories as to why future Mamoru did it. One in particular that I liked because it tied it to Mamoru's death in Sailor Stars.

shellysunfish wrote:

Again I don't see why people blame Mamoru for this as he broke up with her because he thought that if he stayed with her she would die.

StarHealerTornado wrote:
1. "Inner Senshi" is a fan-made term. Nowhere in the manga are they referred to as such.

2. "Outer Senshi" (or, rather, the Senshi of the Outer Solar System) refers only to Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto, who ARE the Sailors of the three outermost planets of the solar system (barring Pluto's reclassification and the future appearance of Nemesis and/or other planets) so that title makes sense for them.

3. Sailor Saturn is neither an "Inner" or an "Outer" Senshi. She's ~on her own~ which perhaps explains why she's also a part, presumably, of Chibi Moon's future team.

Sailor Saturn has been referred to as a member of the Outer Senshi and the team is regularly referred to as the 4 Soldiers of the Outer Solar System.

As for my pet peeve it is basically how the Outers as a team basically got shafted in SuperS and Sailor Stars and hardly were used especially Saturn who never got a single transformation or attack animation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:45 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
foenyanko wrote:
Mamoru practically kills Moon

When was this? :?

Tuxedo Kamen was here

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:23 am 
Stella
Stella
I think she is referring to when he was turned evil in classic, although again that wasn't Mamoru's fault.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:28 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
But I don't remember him killing her. Just choking her.

Tuxedo Kamen was here

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:04 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
My pet peeve: the Inner Senshi were gipped out of their 'Planet' powers! As if Sailor Moon wasn't powerful enough! :|

I still say Sailor Moon's Chibi-Chibi is a lost Pokemon. (Tosses Dusk Ball)

On infidelity: The Pot has not just met the Kettle, they are getting jiggy on the top of the stove.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:51 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Deathscythe wrote:

Which is why the OC said "PRACTICALLY" kills her.

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:29 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
foenyanko wrote:

Maybe the production staff hated the couple being together, which in turn was due to their hate of Mamoru. P-:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:03 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Other: gotta go fast
StarHealerTornado wrote:
Deathscythe wrote:

Which is why the OC said "PRACTICALLY" kills her.

I'd say that's more like attempted murder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:28 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
foenyanko wrote:

Maybe the production staff hated the couple being together, which in turn was due to their hate of Mamoru. P-:

Which in turn also makes Rose hate him in the anime, BTW. lol

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:42 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
My biggest Sailor Moon pet peeve is Mamoru being every villain's "toy."

This man is supposed to be the King of the Earth, but it seems like in every season he is captured or kidnapped and brainwashed. The writers give him no depth. :grey:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:00 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Clow wrote:

This man is supposed to be the King of the Earth, but it seems like in every season he is captured or kidnapped and brainwashed. The writers give him no depth. :grey:

That's another proof of how they hated him. XD

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:33 pm 
Stella
Stella
Clow wrote:

Actually Naoko Takeuchi did that more then the anime writers did.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:35 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Clow wrote:

To be fair to the anime writers, Mamoru constantly getting brainwashed or killed is inherit to the actual comic.

Tuxedo Kamen was here

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:40 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Deathscythe wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Clow wrote:

To be fair to the anime writers, Mamoru constantly getting brainwashed or killed is inherit to the actual comic.

Right, as Maria has just pointed out above. lol

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:41 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
That post wasn't there when I was replying. o_O

Strangely, Mamoru is Takeuchi's favorite character. Big cast full of girls and she likes the one male character. Hmmm....

Tuxedo Kamen was here

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:43 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Deathscythe wrote:
Strangely, Mamoru is Takeuchi's favorite character. Big cast full of girls and she likes the one male character. Hmmm....

Maybe it's a love-hate thing of her? lol

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:45 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Question: Who is your favorite character?
Naoko: I personally like Tuxedo Kamen. Well... my type is a blunt, handsome guy with long slanted eyes. Especially neat if he looks good in a formal suit or tuxedo. Thus, I made him... the man the heroine will come to love.

So, she likes him because he looks hot, basically.

Tuxedo Kamen was here

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:47 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
It feels more like he's objectified as "the perfect male."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:51 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Deathscythe wrote:
Question: Who is your favorite character?
Naoko: I personally like Tuxedo Kamen. Well... my type is a blunt, handsome guy with long slanted eyes. Especially neat if he looks good in a formal suit or tuxedo. Thus, I made him... the man the heroine will come to love.

So, she likes him because he looks hot, basically.

I was just kidding in my last post above - I don't think she really hates him, of course. :wink:

Clow wrote:
It feels more like he's objectified as "the perfect male."

Like a male version of Mary Sue? lol

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:54 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
I generally don't like using the term Mary Sue since it seems like a subtle way for people to bash a character they do not like...

...that said, Michiru was way too idolized in S.

Tuxedo Kamen was here

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:01 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Deathscythe wrote:
I generally don't like using the term Mary Sue since it seems like a subtle way for people to bash a character they do not like...

Again, I mentioned "Mary Sue" in a joking manner as a response to Clow's comment above - I personally am neutral about him, as he's neither my favorite nor hated character. :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:06 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Male straight
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Deathscythe wrote:

Again, I mentioned "Mary Sue" in a joking manner as a response to Clow's comment above - I personally am neutral about him, as he's neither my favorite nor hated character. :)

Anyway, the correct term is Gary Stu.

But I do think Mamoru is far from the hottest SM guy, Jadeite anyone??? Motoki??? Starlights in male form?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:13 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Nope, Mamoru is the best looking one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:14 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Hypno wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Deathscythe wrote:

Anyway, the correct term is Gary Stu.

Some also call such male characters "Marty Stu." :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:29 pm 
Stella
Stella
In fact Mamoru was only the villain's "toy" twice in the anime. Once in the first season where he was turned evil and next in his coma like state with Nehellenia. In the manga however Mamoru was turned evil in the Dark Kingdom arc, again in the Black Moon arc and another time in the Stars arc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next