It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Buena Vista VHS Cassetes
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:45 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Other: Call me Neko-chan
Does anyone still have them ?How's the quality on them ?
I mean those :

Post subject: Re: Buena Vista VHS Cassetes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:12 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I love that cover. Do you have the others?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:33 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
I have 3 or 4 of them sitting in my VHS cupboard. They're beautiful, I love the artwork on them. I always see them at Value Village. I'll collect them all someday!

The quality is...I mean, it's what you'd expect. Decent for the time, but sound and colour are dull.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:36 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
I used to have all six volumes from the first season until I lost "Good Queen, Bad Queen." I think I still have them stored away somewhere. They are very cute and glittery and I love the opening sequence (with the VHS title appearing on a ribbon). So '90s. :love:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:52 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
I used to have the first three volumes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:53 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I collected the whole set a few years ago :) I've always hated how Venus never got her own cover she only appears on the bottom of Jupiter's tape :(

Attachments:
IMG_2912.JPG
IMG_2912.JPG [ 84.74 KiB | Viewed 1023 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:15 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I think I still have some elsewhere. I did love the art on them though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:55 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
The only ones I've got are A Moon Star is Born and Evil Eyes. I don't have any desire to collect the rest of the BV releases since I've already got most of ADV's season 1 tapes, but the artwork is really neat. If all of my tapes weren't in the basement, then I'd happily display these on my shelf.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:24 am 
inactive
A long time ago, I read a fan review of those tapes. She said the artwork was "tacky." This was during the era when all the cool fans hated on the English dub. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:39 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I only have a VHS copy of A Moon Star Is Born. I personally like the artwork. It's a little gaudy but it kind of fits the DiC dub. It's only the border sides of the cover I don't care but the actual designs for the characters look very nice to me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:39 am 
Stella
Stella
You know I found it funny even though these tapes only covered the Dark Kingdom arc on the artwork of the tape Evil Eyes it includes a picture of Wiseman behind Sailor Mars.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:53 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Actually that's not true. Buena Vista did release the entire 13 episode Makai (Doom) Tree Arc from the R Season in a VHS box set on four tapes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:13 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
I think Maria possibly meant that tape featured two Dark Kingdom era episodes (Cruise Blues and Shutter Bugged) yet featured Wiseman.

What I find odd is that for the 12 episodes of the Dark Kingdom that Buena Vista releases on home video they for the most part were good at releasing plot important episodes (Scout introductions, Serena gets the luna pen, Princess is revealed, the two part finale) and then evil eyed goes with two filler episodes and not even GOOD filler. I would have gone with Fight to the Finish and Worth a Princess ransom personally.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:34 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
What I find odd is that for the 12 episodes of the Dark Kingdom that Buena Vista releases on home video they for the most part were good at releasing plot important episodes (Scout introductions, Serena gets the luna pen, Princess is revealed, the two part finale) and then evil eyed goes with two filler episodes and not even GOOD filler. I would have gone with Fight to the Finish and Worth a Princess ransom personally.

Poor Nephrite, he was only featured in one episode. Jadeite and Nephrite's demises weren't covered at all.

I remember getting the Doom Tree Series set for my birthday one year, and I absolutely loved it. I loved the boxart, as cheesy as it was. I liked that they randomly included one of Zoisite's youma on the cover. :evillaugh:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:34 am 
Luna
Luna
Moon Star wrote:
A long time ago, I read a fan review of those tapes. She said the artwork was "tacky." This was during the era when all the cool fans hated on the English dub. :lol:

The artwork is still tacky, it's just vintage now ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:42 am 
inactive
ChibiBoi wrote:
Moon Star wrote:

The artwork is still tacky, it's just vintage now ;)

I think the artwork is kinda cute, personally. :innocent:

I have always wondered why the artwork for "Evil Eyes" features Sailor Mars fighting Wiseman with her belly hanging out, though. P-:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:59 am 
Stella
Stella
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
I think Maria possibly meant that tape featured two Dark Kingdom era episodes (Cruise Blues and Shutter Bugged) yet featured Wiseman.

I personally loved both of those episodes especially the one with Thetis on evil eyes I loved her and Cameran always scared me.