Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:24 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:30 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Feb 13, 2016
Posts: 161
Location: California
Gender: Male
What is one stereotype that people have said about Sailor Moon?

One major one is that guys who watch the show are labeled as gay.


Last edited by JupiterThunder on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:48 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1761
The biggest one I've heard recently is fans of dark magical girl anime who write Sailor Moon off as inferior to Madoka and act like it doesn't have any dark or emotional moments in it and Madoka was the sole creator of dark elements in magical girl shows.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:51 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 29, 2012
Posts: 3368
Gender: male
Other: CLAMP PR
I think the Stars manga act is just as dark as Madoka and that the premise of Madoka is almost the same as that of the Stars arc. Usagi is tested to the limit and manages to stay cool.

_________________
Visit Clow's shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:36 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 7 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Jul 29, 2015
Posts: 186
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Other: Submarine Reflection
I haven't heard the gay stereotype, but I have heard the one where people say guy's only watch it because they're perverts. :roll: Most of the guys I know who watch it, just do so for the fact that it's anime, and has an OK storyline...It's a classic!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:49 pm 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Jun 02, 2016
Posts: 501
Location: In the Canadian sector of the space-time corridor.
Gender: Male
Other: Status: Feel good.
I heard of people who stereotype the show for how stupid the concept is to them, and that the Guardians are basically hot stuff.

_________________
"Well, the important thing is family and friendship honesty values and no one got arrested!" - Greg Universe

Join the Discord chatroom here: https://discord.gg/h33j9fX
and the Chatango room: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:33 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 07, 2009
Posts: 37486
Gender: Male
Princess Neptune wrote:
I haven't heard the gay stereotype, but I have heard the one where people say guy's only watch it because they're perverts. :roll:

That reminds me of this one: Sailor Moon = hentai show (not Sailor Moon hentai, but the 90s anime) :P

_________________
 
Image

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:37 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1761
Lunatastic wrote:
I heard of people who stereotype the show for how stupid the concept is to them, and that the Guardians are basically hot stuff.
This always bothers me when I hear straight guys talk about how hot the Guardians are like that. I mean, they are aware they're 14, right? And for some reason, it always seems like it's Rei who is the Guardian straight guys seem to like the most for that reason.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:47 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
Posts: 1414
Location: USA
Gender: female
Other: conservative
Neon Genesis wrote:
Lunatastic wrote:
I heard of people who stereotype the show for how stupid the concept is to them, and that the Guardians are basically hot stuff.
This always bothers me when I hear straight guys talk about how hot the Guardians are like that. I mean, they are aware they're 14, right? And for some reason, it always seems like it's Rei who is the Guardian straight guys seem to like the most for that reason.

To be fair they don't look 14 , and sailor moon does exaggerate what teens that age are allow to do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:02 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
Posts: 6774
Location: Behind you!
Gender: female
Other: taken :A
as my mother says,it's childish (like some kind of cartoon) :ohdear:

_________________
Image
let me occupy your mind,as you do mine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:12 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 13, 2008
Posts: 22620
Location: in my Aesthetic
Gender: Male
Other: Enjoy Yourself
imaginationgirl wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:
Lunatastic wrote:
I heard of people who stereotype the show for how stupid the concept is to them, and that the Guardians are basically hot stuff.
This always bothers me when I hear straight guys talk about how hot the Guardians are like that. I mean, they are aware they're 14, right? And for some reason, it always seems like it's Rei who is the Guardian straight guys seem to like the most for that reason.

To be fair they don't look 14 , and sailor moon does exaggerate what teens that age are allow to do.

exactly if you didn't know their age you'd swear they were closer to 18 at least that's how they looked to me
the manga makes them look even older :eeklez:

_________________
Image
Saint Pepsi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:01 pm 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Dec 11, 2015
Posts: 671
Neon Genesis wrote:
The biggest one I've heard recently is fans of dark magical girl anime who write Sailor Moon off as inferior to Madoka and act like it doesn't have any dark or emotional moments in it and Madoka was the sole creator of dark elements in magical girl shows.

Clear evidence they haven't watched the series. Especially for the emotional moments. I wonder how they'd react to the truth about Ace, or the moment in the R movie when the Inners relive their past before meeting Usagi, or Sailor Uranus extracting her own Heart Crystal, or... Well, how many hours it takes to list everything?

As for the dark elements in magical girl shows... At one point Cutey Honey had the extermination of most of the cast, including Natsuko, and made it even darker by somehow inserting bits of comedy. Then again, Cutey Honey means Go Nagai, and I still have nightmares of the one episode of Shin Getter Robot I watched once so many years ago...

_________________
Insane fanwriter with a fixation for the Angel of Death. You can find my stories here


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:50 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Feb 13, 2016
Posts: 161
Location: California
Gender: Male
Princess Neptune wrote:
I haven't heard the gay stereotype, but I have heard the one where people say guy's only watch it because they're perverts. :roll: Most of the guys I know who watch it, just do so for the fact that it's anime, and has an OK storyline...It's a classic!


That's the most common one actually, the gay one is actually more common than you think.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:43 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Oct 12, 2016
Posts: 353
Location: planet of water
Gender: female
lord Martiya wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:
The biggest one I've heard recently is fans of dark magical girl anime who write Sailor Moon off as inferior to Madoka and act like it doesn't have any dark or emotional moments in it and Madoka was the sole creator of dark elements in magical girl shows.

Clear evidence they haven't watched the series. Especially for the emotional moments. I wonder how they'd react to the truth about Ace, or the moment in the R movie when the Inners relive their past before meeting Usagi, or Sailor Uranus extracting her own Heart Crystal, or... Well, how many hours it takes to list everything?


Exactly! SM has some dark moments too, people who think the contrary clearly hasn't seen much of SM if any at all. A friend of mine is a fan of Madoka and she has always felt that SM was inferior to Madoka because SM lacked dark moments, even though she has only watched like a few episodes of the 90s anime and nothing else of SM, I tried to get her to watch the complete SM anime series and the Crystal one but she refused. She just doesn't like SM and didn't want to "waste" her time watching something she doesn't like, she's stubborn like that, but it proves her ignorance about SM. Sadly there's a lot of Madoka fans who scoff and criticise SM because they think SM "lacks" dark moments, when really they are just ignorant about it.
Sometimes the ignorance does annoy me, usually I just avoid people like that but it's difficult when one of these people is your friend, whenever we talk about animes, we usually end up arguing over SM and Madoka ^_^' but hey, at least SM is so much more famous & successful worldwide than Madoka is, that usually shuts her up LOL :D I like to think those Madoka fans are just jealous or bitter because their fav anime series is much less famous & successful than SM is :tongue:

As for the "gay" stereotype, it doesn't just apply to SM, sadly I've seen people calling guys who likes to watch any Shoujo anime as "gay", not only that but there are sadly a lot of anime haters out there who think anyone who watches anime in general are "gay", even if they only watch Shounen animes that are mostly targeted towards boys like Dragon Ball, Naruto and One Piece etc because they think anime in general is "gay". Haters gonna hate right?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:26 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Posts: 10028
Location: Embelyon
Prince Rose wrote:
exactly if you didn't know their age you'd swear they were closer to 18 at least that's how they looked to me

Image

I like your way of thinking. :mischief:

JupiterThunder wrote:
One maor one is that guys who watch the show are labeled as gay.

Actually, majority of BSSM fans are gay/bisexual, so I don't really see how it's a "stereotype": viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22095

_________________
Image
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... shoujocity
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shoujo- ... 1128360282


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:14 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Oct 12, 2016
Posts: 353
Location: planet of water
Gender: female
Maraviollantes wrote:
Prince Rose wrote:
exactly if you didn't know their age you'd swear they were closer to 18 at least that's how they looked to me

Image

I like your way of thinking. :mischief:

JupiterThunder wrote:
One maor one is that guys who watch the show are labeled as gay.

Actually, majority of BSSM fans are gay/bisexual, so I don't really see how it's a "stereotype": http://sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22095


so you base your judgment on a poll that only has 80 or so votes? yeah so "reliable" LOL :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:04 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1761
Maraviollantes wrote:
Actually, majority of BSSM fans are gay/bisexual, so I don't really see how it's a "stereotype": http://sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22095
There's a lot of LGBTQ fans of Lady Gaga too but that doesn't mean everyone who likes Lady Gaga is LGBTQ.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:36 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Oct 12, 2016
Posts: 353
Location: planet of water
Gender: female
Neon Genesis wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:
Actually, majority of BSSM fans are gay/bisexual, so I don't really see how it's a "stereotype": http://sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22095
There's a lot of LGBTQ fans of Lady Gaga too but that doesn't mean everyone who likes Lady Gaga is LGBTQ.


LOL I think Maraviollantes is probably trying to be sarcastic...

In all seriousness though, that poll only has a measly 80 or so votes, while this forum only has a little over 4000 members, that's still only a very tiny fraction of the entire SM fandom. There are literally hundreds of thousands and maybe even millions of SM fans worldwide, so 1 measly poll with only 80 votes means NOTHING if you look at the bigger picture. So even IF the majority of fans in this forum are LGBT, it does NOT mean that most fans of SM in general are LGBT. Just 80 people do not represent the entire SM fandom :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:15 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Posts: 10028
Location: Embelyon
SailorLinda1 wrote:
so you base your judgment on a poll that only has 80 or so votes? yeah so "reliable" LOL :lol:

It's called a "representative sample" and that's how all polls are done. A random sample is taken from overall population and then extrapolated to give an overall representation of some statistical data. Depending on the size of the sample there can be a sampling error (like several percents off), but that doesn't change the overall picture. We had that poll open for many years and yes, I think it gives an accurate overall representation of the fandom.

Do you have any other, more representative, and more accurate polls on the matter, or have any particular proof that our poll was biased or manipulated by somebody on intention? Claiming that some statistical data is false and unreliable makes sense if you can provide more accurate statistics with larger sampling selection and thus less sampling error. If you have some, please share. But if you claim that some statistical poll is false with the only source to back it being your own personal opinion, then most probably you just live in your own fantasy world and refuse to accept the reality.

_________________
Image
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... shoujocity
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shoujo- ... 1128360282


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:25 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
User avatar
Joined: Oct 12, 2016
Posts: 353
Location: planet of water
Gender: female
Maraviollantes wrote:
SailorLinda1 wrote:
so you base your judgment on a poll that only has 80 or so votes? yeah so "reliable" LOL :lol:

It's called a "representative sample" and that's how all polls are done. A random sample is taken from overall population and then extrapolated to give an overall representation of some statistical data. Depending on the size of the sample there can be a sampling error (like several percents off), but that doesn't change the overall picture. We had that poll open for many years and yes, I think it gives an accurate overall representation of the fandom.

Do you have any other, more representative, and more accurate polls on the matter, or have any particular proof that our poll was biased or manipulated by somebody on intention? Claiming that some statistical data is false and unreliable makes sense if you can provide more accurate statistics with larger sampling selection and thus less sampling error. If you have some, please share. But if you claim that some statistical poll is false with the only source to back it being your own personal opinion, then most probably you just live in your own fantasy world and refuse to accept the reality.


LOL no, basing your judgment on a poll with only 80 votes is not "reliable" at all, far from it, it's actually laughable and pathetic, that's why so called "representative samples" with only a few random votes is never "reliable" nor "accurate". Even if every one of those 4000 members of this forum had voted in that poll, the results would still not be reliable nor accurate, because like I said, 4000 people is merely just a tiny fraction of the entire SM fandom, do you know just how huge the SM fandom is? And 80 is an even more pathetic number than 4000, that's only a measly 2% of this forum's total number of members. The fact that you would even use that measly poll as a representation of the SM fandom is laughable and frankly stupid as far as I'm concerned.

So if a sample survey was conducted with just 80 random people and they were asked about their sexuality and the majority of them said they were LGBT, does that mean the majority of the world's population are LGBT? Of course not, and we know that would be false because the vast majority of the world's population are still straight. Just a small sample of people does not represent an entire ethnic, race, sexuality or any kind of specific group. The same logic applies here, just because the majority of those 80 random SM fans are LGBT, does NOT mean the majority of the SM fandom in general are LGBT.

Oh and btw according to that measly poll, the majority of the voters are male, which according to your logic means that the "majority" of SM fans should be male then, but I personally have come across literally hundreds of SM fans in my life and the vast majority of the fans I have encountered are actually female, so there goes your lame theory about the SM fandom. Literally hundreds of SM fans greatly trumps those measly 80 fans from that poll :-P
The results from that poll only just means that most people who bothered to vote in that poll are LGBT and are male, but they certainly do NOT represent the whole SM fandom in general.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:04 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 27, 2012
Posts: 5158
Location: "Studying" With Ami-Chan!
Gender: Male
Other: Married To NQS!
Prince Rose wrote:
exactly if you didn't know their age you'd swear they were closer to 18 at least that's how they looked to me
the manga makes them look even older :eeklez:


not to mention Usagi and Mamoru were hinted to have had sex in both the manga and in crystal without even going on one date (Mamoru either has darn good game or it means Usagi is really easy :blue: )

another stereotype is the girls outfits, it makes it seem like girls are supposed to wear skirts all the time (which I don't mind I do love a good pair of legs XD) in most media girls wear skirts even in comics and its also sad they have them flash panties all the time (looking at you Rei-Chan) I know sex sells but still

_________________
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:11 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 07, 2009
Posts: 37486
Gender: Male
Perhaps the UNESCO/WHO should conduct a global scientific survey on the sexual orientation of Sailor Moon fans worldwide. :P

_________________
 
Image

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:34 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1761
Maraviollantes wrote:
It's called a "representative sample" and that's how all polls are done. A random sample is taken from overall population and then extrapolated to give an overall representation of some statistical data. Depending on the size of the sample there can be a sampling error (like several percents off), but that doesn't change the overall picture. We had that poll open for many years and yes, I think it gives an accurate overall representation of the fandom.
Actually the type of poll you're conducting is what's called convenience sampling. To do a truly simple random sample you would have to take the poll to all the major anime websites like ANN and Crunchyroll where you have the widest audience of diverse users possible to get a more complete picture of the anime fandom demographic. Even then though, your poll would still not include the majority of fans in places like Latin America and Europe or even Japanese fans.

Quote:
Do you have any other, more representative, and more accurate polls on the matter, or have any particular proof that our poll was biased or manipulated by somebody on intention? Claiming that some statistical data is false and unreliable makes sense if you can provide more accurate statistics with larger sampling selection and thus less sampling error. If you have some, please share. But if you claim that some statistical poll is false with the only source to back it being your own personal opinion, then most probably you just live in your own fantasy world and refuse to accept the reality.
No one is questioning the motives of your poll. We're merely pointing out you have too small of a sample size to extrapolate that data to the larger public. This is basic Statistics 101. I'm not sure why you're being so argumentative about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:00 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Mar 26, 2013
Posts: 138
Neon Genesis wrote:
This always bothers me when I hear straight guys talk about how hot the Guardians are like that. I mean, they are aware they're 14, right?


They don't even look remotely 14 + the senshi aren't real people + they most likely don't know the characters are 14, casual viewers don't know/care about the sailor's age.
When I was a little kid, they all looked like 20 something to me. The only one who kinda looked like 15 was Hotaru, the rest are designed to look way older (and it's worse in the manga/Crystal, some look in their mid 30's there).

Neon Genesis wrote:
And for some reason, it always seems like it's Rei who is the Guardian straight guys seem to like the most for that reason.


That reason is Rei being the badass, superior queen she is.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:34 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
Posts: 6774
Location: Behind you!
Gender: female
Other: taken :A
Actually my mom thought that they're 10-11 years old when she saw an episode from 90s animes.She was kinda surprised when i said they're 14.

_________________
Image
let me occupy your mind,as you do mine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:26 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 07, 2009
Posts: 37486
Gender: Male
litacan wrote:
Actually my mom thought that they're 10-11 years old when she saw an episode from 90s animes.She was kinda surprised when i said they're 14.

Wonder how Pedobear would think about their ages. :lol:

(We need a Pedobear emoticon here. lol )

_________________
 
Image

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:46 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 13, 2008
Posts: 22620
Location: in my Aesthetic
Gender: Male
Other: Enjoy Yourself
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
litacan wrote:
Actually my mom thought that they're 10-11 years old when she saw an episode from 90s animes.She was kinda surprised when i said they're 14.

Wonder how Pedobear would think about their ages. :lol:

(We need a Pedobear emoticon here. lol )

knowing that thing he'd say "too old" P-:

_________________
Image
Saint Pepsi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:02 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 07, 2009
Posts: 37486
Gender: Male
^ Ah, most probably. :P

_________________
 
Image

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:23 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1761
C-17 wrote:

They don't even look remotely 14 + the senshi aren't real people + they most likely don't know the characters are 14, casual viewers don't know/care about the sailor's age.
When I was a little kid, they all looked like 20 something to me. The only one who kinda looked like 15 was Hotaru, the rest are designed to look way older (and it's worse in the manga/Crystal, some look in their mid 30's there).


That reason is Rei being the badass, superior queen she is.
They look more accurate than a lot of modern anime that likes to draw 14 year olds like they look like they're 10. And I can buy that excuse among casuals but I see this happening even with a lot of anime fans who I think would at least know the basics about the show.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:54 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 16, 2014
Posts: 1414
Location: USA
Gender: female
Other: conservative
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
Prince Rose wrote:
exactly if you didn't know their age you'd swear they were closer to 18 at least that's how they looked to me
the manga makes them look even older :eeklez:


not to mention Usagi and Mamoru were hinted to have had sex in both the manga and in crystal without even going on one date (Mamoru either has darn good game or it means Usagi is really easy :blue: )

another stereotype is the girls outfits, it makes it seem like girls are supposed to wear skirts all the time (which I don't mind I do love a good pair of legs XD) in most media girls wear skirts even in comics and its also sad they have them flash panties all the time (looking at you Rei-Chan) I know sex sells but still

Personally maybe my mind is purer . I don't think they had sex just make outs . I think they started when they were both 18 well when in the epilogue . At there wedding ceremony, but yeah sailor moon how much a child be . The 90 s more so, and the manga they act lot more like teens. The most realistic version how they at to me were pgsm . Also skirts keep in mind this written in the 90 s and seem girl wearing skirts were more common.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stereotyping the series
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:29 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 27, 2012
Posts: 5158
Location: "Studying" With Ami-Chan!
Gender: Male
Other: Married To NQS!
imaginationgirl wrote:
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
Prince Rose wrote:
exactly if you didn't know their age you'd swear they were closer to 18 at least that's how they looked to me
the manga makes them look even older :eeklez:


not to mention Usagi and Mamoru were hinted to have had sex in both the manga and in crystal without even going on one date (Mamoru either has darn good game or it means Usagi is really easy :blue: )

another stereotype is the girls outfits, it makes it seem like girls are supposed to wear skirts all the time (which I don't mind I do love a good pair of legs XD) in most media girls wear skirts even in comics and its also sad they have them flash panties all the time (looking at you Rei-Chan) I know sex sells but still

Personally maybe my mind is purer . I don't think they had sex just make outs . I think they started when they were both 18 well when in the epilogue . At there wedding ceremony, but yeah sailor moon how much a child be . The 90 s more so, and the manga they act lot more like teens. The most realistic version how they at to me were pgsm . Also skirts keep in mind this written in the 90 s and seem girl wearing skirts were more common.


actually in the manga Mamoru and Usagi were actually seen naked in bed together hence the implied sex lol

_________________
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Moonies browsing this forum: DREWdesu and 10 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB

contact forum administrator