Sailor Moon Forum
http://sailormoonforum.com/

What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?
http://sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29550
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Lunatastic [ Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:18 pm ]
Post subject:  What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

Not really sure myself how it'd work out: either their audience would leave Crystal because of its pacing and problems, or leave the classic series since it isn't the one they grew up with or there's too much filler for them.

What would you think: would SM back on the Toonami lineup by Viz be a hypothetically good, bad, or indifferent decision?

Author:  LifeGaveMeLemons [ Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

They're more likely to do Crystal than the old anime.


Also it seems Toonami is much more bias toward shows appealing to the male 13-18 demo than before.

Author:  doctorwho29 [ Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

I'd like to see it happen with either show but I doubt it will

Author:  ChibiBoi [ Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
They're more likely to do Crystal than the old anime.


Also it seems Toonami is much more bias toward shows appealing to the male 13-18 demo than before.

Yeah seems like Toonami is geared towards older teen boys/young men.

Author:  NJ_ [ Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

Neither are happening because Hulu has the rights. As confirmed back in June, Toonami tried to get the Crystal dub but were outbid by Hulu.

Author:  Umino [ Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

NJ_ wrote:
Neither are happening because Hulu has the rights. As confirmed back in June, Toonami tried to get the Crystal dub but were outbid by Hulu.


I think that's for the best. Cartoon Network didn't exactly treat Sailor Moon well after the 17 Lost Episodes.

Author:  ChibiBoi [ Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

Umino wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Neither are happening because Hulu has the rights. As confirmed back in June, Toonami tried to get the Crystal dub but were outbid by Hulu.


I think that's for the best. Cartoon Network didn't exactly treat Sailor Moon well after the 17 Lost Episodes.

Yeah and Hulu gives the show a wider audience anyway.

Author:  MariaTenebre [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

I would rather they air the 90s anime then Crystal but it would be nice for either to air. Maybe they could do the 90s and then Crystal.

Author:  Prince Rose [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

it would be nice to see anything sm on tv period again let alone modern toonami however it's highly unlikely since SM isn't a shounen type and that's what they prefer to air these days

heck I consider it a miracle that toonami came back at all and that anime in and of itself is still on American tv these days

Author:  LifeGaveMeLemons [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

Prince Rose wrote:
i and that anime in and of itself is still on American tv these days



How is that a miracle or in anyway unexpected?

Author:  Sabrblade [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
Prince Rose wrote:
i and that anime in and of itself is still on American tv these days



How is that a miracle or in anyway unexpected?
It's not really big anymore amongst kids these days, and nearly all the venues that used to show anime on TV back in the day either no longer exist or don't have much of an interest in anime anymore. Even Pokemon, arguably the longest-running anime ever shown on American TV, has recently moved from from the widely-accessible Cartoon Network (who had been its home from 2006-2016) to the less-accessible Disney X D. Most places that show anime nowadays tend to be online streaming sources like Netflix or Crunchyroll, and tend to be geared more specifically towards the niche of anime fans rather than the general children audiences that the aforementioned venues of the past used to target.

Author:  Tuf Pic [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

BRING IT ON!! :usagi: :setsuna: :rei: :mihiru: :minako: :mako: :hotaru: :haruka: :chibiusa: :chibichibi: :ami:

:luna: :diana: :artemis:

:love: :cookie:

:toast: :booze:

Author:  NJ_ [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

Sabrblade wrote:
Even Pokemon, arguably the longest-running anime ever shown on American TV, has recently moved from from the widely-accessible Cartoon Network (who had been its home from 2006-2016) to the less-accessible Disney X D.


In this particular case, CN had it coming because they had Pokemon airing at 6 AM which was pretty bad.

Author:  ChibiBoi [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

NJ_ wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Even Pokemon, arguably the longest-running anime ever shown on American TV, has recently moved from from the widely-accessible Cartoon Network (who had been its home from 2006-2016) to the less-accessible Disney X D.


In this particular case, CN had it coming because they had Pokemon airing at 6 AM which was pretty bad.

When did they air it at 6am?? Last time I watched it a few years ago was Saturday's at like noon. It would be great if they aired Sailor Moon at that time or at least the movies.

Author:  Neon Genesis [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

Sure it'd be nice to have it back on but is it really necessary? You can watch the entire show on Hulu for free even without an account and the DVDs are easily available at most Walmarts and Targets. Sailor Moon is as popular as it's ever going to get. Even if it came back on, everyone would just complain about how much they hate the Viz dub and not appreciate it just being back at all.

Author:  ChibiBoi [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

Neon Genesis wrote:
Sure it'd be nice to have it back on but is it really necessary? You can watch the entire show on Hulu for free even without an account and the DVDs are easily available at most Walmarts and Targets. Sailor Moon is as popular as it's ever going to get. Even if it came back on, everyone would just complain about how much they hate the Viz dub and not appreciate it just being back at all.

I'd say it would be more for garnering a new audience.

Author:  Neon Genesis [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

Maybe it could get a small boost of younger fans who didn't grow up with the show but I feel like most of the Toonami crowd either falls outside of Sailor Moon's demographic and is mostly into heavy action shows. Or if they did have an interest in it, they're probably already aware of it. I recall Viz saying before in ANNCast interviews that Sailor Moon was their highest selling anime.

Author:  Sabrblade [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

Yeah, Toonami's pretty much the only place that shows the level of anime on TV that the uncut Sailor Moon redub and Crystal dub could air on unedited, as any other place would most likely have to censor both the redub or Crystal to an extent. After all, while both the redub and Crystal are considered kid shows, they are kid shows that were made without regards to American sensitivities and BSnP. Even Nicktoons (a channel that standard cable doesn't have, making it less accessible to more people) had DBZ Kai (a show that Toei themselves had already censored from the original DBZ version) censored to a degree, even if mildly. But as has been said, Toonami was only interested in Crystal, but lost to Hulu in getting it, and tends to prefer male-oriented shows over female ones.

Author:  LifeGaveMeLemons [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

Sabrblade wrote:
It's not really big anymore amongst kids these days


A lot of high schoolers seem to be in anime.

If we're talking younger than Toonami's demo Yokai Watch seems to be doing well enough. Sonic X was pretty popular on Vortexx. And Dragon Ball Kai did well enough on Nicktoons

Quote:
. Even Pokemon, arguably the longest-running anime ever shown on American TV, has recently moved from from the widely-accessible Cartoon Network (who had been its home from 2006-2016) to the less-accessible Disney X D.


Pokemon the tv series was well past its prime as far as pretty much everyone is concerned. The tv series is a zombie show like The Simpsons.





And Toonami (the current iteration) isn't even aimed at kids so how is this in any way relevant to what Rose said?

Author:  Salem Saberhagen [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

I don't really see Toonami helping it that much. One Piece just got taken off, probably because everyone interested has already seen it. (Guilty)

Author:  NJ_ [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

Salem Saberhagen wrote:
I don't really see Toonami helping it that much. One Piece just got taken off, probably because everyone interested has already seen it. (Guilty)


One Piece on TV was cursed from the beginning, from the whole 4Kids dub ordeal in 2004-2007 to FUNi's dub getting cancelled almost 7 months in it's run in March 2008 (6 months before Toonami itself ended), it comes back on the new Toonami in May 2013 and what did they do, skip the first 206 episodes (which didn't happen when they had DBZ Kai & Naruto on there), and it all went downhill again from there to the changing to later time slots until it was finally gone and the sad thing is that from what I've heard, the Sabaody arc, that was supposed to air next, was said to be good and also one of the last arcs before Toei really started to drag the anime's pacing down.

There's still the FUNimation DVDs so that's good and they're at the post-timeskip episodes now in the mid 500s.

Still waiting for them to get the other movies though, specifically Movie 6.

Author:  Sabrblade [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
It's not really big anymore amongst kids these days


A lot of high schoolers seem to be in anime.
I said kids, not young adults.

LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
Sonic X was pretty popular on Vortexx. And Dragon Ball Kai did well enough on Nicktoons
Keywords being "was" and "did", as the former no longer airs on Nicktoons (only airing on Toonami at this point, and only The Final Chapters right now) while the latter's long gone due to Vortexx no longer existing.

Author:  Umino [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

Honestly, there just isn't an outlet for anime on television. There hasn't been since the mid 2000's. Toonami has always had a problem with longer series too. Dragon Ball (all three series), Sailor Moon, and BoBoBoBo were some of the few that aired in their entirety.

Author:  NJ_ [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

Umino wrote:
Honestly, there just isn't an outlet for anime on television. There hasn't been since the mid 2000's. Toonami has always had a problem with longer series too. Dragon Ball (all three series), Sailor Moon, and BoBoBoBo were some of the few that aired in their entirety.


It's funny because not even Naruto can claim that. The first series got cancelled on post-Toonami CN when they had 11 more episodes to go and then when it returned on new Toonami uncut, it was only the first 52 episodes and then they went straight to Shippuden.

Author:  Umino [ Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

NJ_ wrote:
It's funny because not even Naruto can claim that. The first series got cancelled on post-Toonami CN when they had 11 more episodes to go and then when it returned on new Toonami uncut, it was only the first 52 episodes and then they went straight to Shippuden.


Not surprised at all. I can't think of any other series that's longer than 40 episodes that aired completely on Toonami. They didn't even air all of the Dragon Ball movies. Atleast Toonami aired everything that was dubbed for Sailor Moon (as far as the original dub goes).

Author:  The Blizzard Prince [ Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

I would enjoy seeing it on there, but yeah, it's not necessary or likely. It wouldn't offer more than a place to premiere newly dubbed episodes of Crystal, something Hulu is already doing.

Author:  imaginationgirl [ Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What would you say to Crystal or classic series on Toonami?

Lunatastic wrote:
Not really sure myself how it'd work out: either their audience would leave Crystal because of its pacing and problems, or leave the classic series since it isn't the one they grew up with or there's too much filler for them.

What would you think: would SM back on the Toonami lineup by Viz be a hypothetically good, bad, or indifferent decision?

Personaly I don't think any audience who have seen Crystal first will have too much problum pscings. Since the storiy is a fast story.A fr the question ? Crystal i probably more likely to air than classic. Part f the reason is old, . Toonami prefers to air mostly newer anime roughly after the 2000 s .

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB
http://www.phpbb.com/