Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:23 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Has the Classic anime disappointed any of you?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:42 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1153
I think one of my other disappointment which is something that doesn't seem to be talked about much is that it seems like the Silver Crystal sort of became less important later on in the 90s anime even though it's Usagi's most powerful weapon. The 90s anime made such a huge deal about the Silver Crystal in the first two seasons with all the bad guys wanting it's power. The early episodes of S seemed to hint at the Silver Crystal still being an important plot point with it suddenly losing it's power and Usagi unable to transform with it. But then after Usagi gets her new brooch, it's like the 90s anime completely forgets about the Silver Crystal. By SuperS Usagi's powers should have returned to normal at that point, so there's no excuse for her not to use it, but she doesn't even think about using it against Nehelenia, when the Silver Crystal could have easily wiped out the Dead Moon Circus in an instant. The bad guys also seem to just not care about it anymore. Even when Usagi's Star Seed becomes an important plot point in Stars, the Silver Crystal itself is kind of an afterthought. And once again, no one seems to think about using the Silver Crystal against Galaxia for some reason and Galaxia also seems to be uninterested in the Crystal. It's made even more weird by how Usagi actually does use the Silver Crystal one more time in the S movie and she has no real major side effects from using it then other than briefly getting dizzy or something. But I'm pretty sure the S movie is the last time the Silver Crystal ever actually gets used as a weapon in the 90s anime.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Has the Classic anime disappointed any of you?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:04 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Posts: 390
Neon Genesis wrote:
I think one of my other disappointment which is something that doesn't seem to be talked about much is that it seems like the Silver Crystal sort of became less important later on in the 90s anime even though it's Usagi's most powerful weapon. The 90s anime made such a huge deal about the Silver Crystal in the first two seasons with all the bad guys wanting it's power. The early episodes of S seemed to hint at the Silver Crystal still being an important plot point with it suddenly losing it's power and Usagi unable to transform with it. But then after Usagi gets her new brooch, it's like the 90s anime completely forgets about the Silver Crystal. By SuperS Usagi's powers should have returned to normal at that point, so there's no excuse for her not to use it, but she doesn't even think about using it against Nehelenia, when the Silver Crystal could have easily wiped out the Dead Moon Circus in an instant. The bad guys also seem to just not care about it anymore. Even when Usagi's Star Seed becomes an important plot point in Stars, the Silver Crystal itself is kind of an afterthought. And once again, no one seems to think about using the Silver Crystal against Galaxia for some reason and Galaxia also seems to be uninterested in the Crystal. It's made even more weird by how Usagi actually does use the Silver Crystal one more time in the S movie and she has no real major side effects from using it then other than briefly getting dizzy or something. But I'm pretty sure the S movie is the last time the Silver Crystal ever actually gets used as a weapon in the 90s anime.

They really downplay both Sailor Moon's power and the power of the Silver Crystal in the 90's anime. To be fair, it wouldn't be entertaining if the hero could easily wipe out the villains in a single stroke. And, the Silver Crystal being used as a plot device can get a little stale being used as such every time. But it is weird it is not really mentioned again late in the series.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Has the Classic anime disappointed any of you?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:49 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: May 01, 2015
Posts: 1018
Location: Moon Castle, Sea of Serenity, Moon
Gender: Female
Other: Guardian Angel Fairy
MariaTenebre wrote:
Prince Rose wrote:
^ yeah it bugs me they didn't really go into the families of the senshi aside from Usagi

The closest thing we get is Rei's grandpa and professor tomoe

Once more I always found it ridiculous that in no canon did we ever find out Rei's Grandfather's name or whether he was her maternal or paternal Grandfather.


You said it, Maria. It is ridiculous that we never find out important info about Rei's grandfather.

_________________
"Dreams are hopeless aspirations in hopes of coming true, believe in yourself, the rest is up me and you" - Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes of TLC

July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Has the Classic anime disappointed any of you?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:41 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 27, 2012
Posts: 2060
Location: Giving Ami-Chan A Massage
Gender: Male
Other: Ami-Chans True Love
^^^while I agree with that also I actually let it slide as I love Rei's Grandpa he was such a good character and dang was he powerful when he wanted to be I was shocked he fought off Zoisite that was amazing

_________________
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Has the Classic anime disappointed any of you?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:43 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1153
To be honest, Rei's grandfather is another thing I never cared much for in the 90s anime. It was always kind of weird the show thought him sexually harassing women young enough to be his granddaughter was funny.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Has the Classic anime disappointed any of you?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:36 am 
Stella
Stella
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 22, 2009
Posts: 4041
Neon Genesis wrote:
To be honest, Rei's grandfather is another thing I never cared much for in the 90s anime. It was always kind of weird the show thought him sexually harassing women young enough to be his granddaughter was funny.

He did the same thing in the manga in both versions he was rather girl crazy and I personally thought it was funny. Honestly the only real difference in the 90s anime vs the manga with Rei's Grandfather is his appearance.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Has the Classic anime disappointed any of you?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:30 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1153
I didn't care for it in the manga either but at least he was only barely in it which made it easier for Crystal to cut him out completely. The 90s anime went out of the way to make whole episodes about Rei's grandpa starting up this weird wrestling match to harass girls with. Maybe some people find sexual harassment to be funny but it's not for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Has the Classic anime disappointed any of you?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:23 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 08, 2011
Posts: 1163
Neon Genesis wrote:
I didn't care for it in the manga either but at least he was only barely in it which made it easier for Crystal to cut him out completely. The 90s anime went out of the way to make whole episodes about Rei's grandpa starting up this weird wrestling match to harass girls with. Maybe some people find sexual harassment to be funny but it's not for me.


Thats a very common and popular trope in manga and anime, you'll find it everywhere (and more often): Dragon Ball, One Piece, Detective Conan, Fushigi Yuugi, Ranma, or even Sailor V.

Personally i dont mind as long as it doesnt cross the line.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Has the Classic anime disappointed any of you?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:58 am 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Mar 01, 2012
Posts: 575
Location: Atlanta
Yes, a couple million times. Don't get me wrong, this was my introduction to the series and I am a diehard fan of the classic anime, and I think it's something I'll be able to revisit and enjoy for the rest of my life. However... 200 episodes is quite lofty, especially considering the size of the source material(which could be read in one day with enough enthusiasm and caffeine) and a LOT of the episodes fell very flat. I dare say a few are garbage.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Has the Classic anime disappointed any of you?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:36 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
User avatar
Joined: Apr 20, 2017
Posts: 20
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Other: Novice Senshi
I can't really say the classic anime disappointed me a great deal. I loved it for the most part even though I found Rei to be too hotheaded. Really the only thing I hated was the fact that everyone was more or less an idiot, the minions, the villains, the general population, even the heroes were stupid on some level. It makes it seems a lot less believable for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC


Who is online

Moonies browsing this forum: No registered moonies and 8 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB

contact forum administrator