* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Kodansha or Viz?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:30 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I get the sense that Viz should've gotten the rights to translate the Manga. They certainly have a better sense of how woolseyisms can help a translation and how to convey honorifics without the, well, honorifics. They're not perfect, mind you, but I'd say they would've been less hit and miss.

Post subject: Re: Kodansha or Viz?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:05 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
That wouldn't have happened since Viz is owned by two rival companies in Japan and with Kodansha's US branch being around since 2008, why wouldn't they handle it themselves?

Anyway, we might be getting the Kanzenban volumes here according to Osabu at Anime Matsuri so if true, Kodansha better do a new translation.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:10 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NJ_ wrote:
Anyway, we might be getting the Kanzenban volumes here according to Osabu at Anime Matsuri so if true, Kodansha better do a new translation.
After having already bought the entire run of the previous Kodansha release, I'll wait and see what people say about the translation quality of that new release before I consider picking it up.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:23 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
NJ_ wrote:
That wouldn't have happened since Viz is owned by two rival companies in Japan and with Kodansha's US branch being around since 2008, why wouldn't they handle it themselves?

Star Comics said that they will release an italian translation of the Kanzenban in November (along with a re-print of the shinsōban)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:56 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
If the perfect edition does come out here, with a new (better) translation, I will be so happy!

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:56 am 
Luna
Luna
Aren't there line changes in the new edition? Wouldn't they have to retranslate it?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:16 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I think Viz would have done a better job than what we got. But think the issue is less Kodansha and more the translator they assigned to Moon. I've bought some of their other manga releases and have been very pleased with them. (no glaring errors, reads naturally, etc.) Moon's one of the unlucky ones. :(

SnowWolf wrote:
Aren't there line changes in the new edition? Wouldn't they have to retranslate it?

There are! So unless they decide to be lazy, there should be a new translation. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:09 am 
Luna
Luna
And there are new extras I believe.

It was also a rushed job from what I recall. Were the complaints the reason they switched translators with volume 8 or was the original just unable to finish?

No matter what I guess we're gonna be stuck with the same terms as before.