It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The state of Sailor Moon 10 years from now
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:53 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Okay, imagine it's 2027.

What do you think Sailor Moon will be then?

Will Sailor Moon merchandise still be produced, perhaps for the 35th anniversary?

Will there be much of a Sailor Moon fandom at all, or will lack of new material - if there is a lack of new material - kill it or reduce it to basically non-existent?

I also wonder how much the current Sailor Moon DVDs being released will cost. Will they be a rare item, as they will likely be out of print?

How much will the 90s merch cost?

Post subject: Re: The state of Sailor Moon 10 years from now
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:39 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The fandom will survive. It survived for years after the popular 90's anime ended, and Sailor Moon is still is well loved.

Even if merchandise stopped, and official media stopped, we still have active fanart, fanfics, online rpgs, and forums.

Fans will keep it alive, even if corporations give up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:52 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Unless Naoko creates a sequel or a Hollywood live action movie or something like that gets made, as sad as it is, I don't think it will still be around that long. Both PGSM and Crystal failed to pick up a large enough amount of new fans. If there's no new content around then, the fanbase will eventually slow down like it did during the time period in the mid 2000s when it was out of print and no new merchandise or content was being produced. Sailor Moon will still be a fond memory for it's devoted fans, but without any new content, Sailor Moon will be like other anime that used to be popular in the 90s but hasn't had any major new material in awhile like the Slayers franchise.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:42 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: gotta go fast
magic713 wrote:
The fandom will survive. It survived for years after the popular 90's anime ended, and Sailor Moon is still is well loved.

Even if merchandise stopped, and official media stopped, we still have active fanart, fanfics, online rpgs, and forums.

that's pretty much it if you ask me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:46 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Other: Married To NQS!
Prince Rose wrote:
magic713 wrote:

^^^ I second this although it will probably get an even worse anime than Crystal XD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:50 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: gotta go fast
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
Prince Rose wrote:
magic713 wrote:

^^^ I second this although it will probably get an even worse anime than Crystal XD

by then it'll step in to Hollywood live action films staring twilight actors :grey: :grey: :grey: :grey: :grey:

Attachments:
tumblr_lzlyxbcH3M1qzlvmi.gif
tumblr_lzlyxbcH3M1qzlvmi.gif [ 310.64 KiB | Viewed 1126 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:50 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Other: Married To NQS!
^^^ OMG NO don't even joke about that XD I hate Kristen Stewart woman can't act although she would probably make a good Zoisite :googly:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:42 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Other: Status: Feel good.
I'll still be here probably with others, welcoming newer fans to the fandom, and looking back on how much I used to enjoy watching the show on the first time.

Join the Discord chatroom here: https://discord.gg/h33j9fX
and the Chatango room: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:50 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: No.1 Mercury Fanboy
10 years from now, we might watch Sailormoon in 3D ("Enchanted" style) on a Holodeck and/or with Smell-a-Vision/Feel-o-Rama :P P-:

Attachments:
Sailor-Moon-Oldflatten.jpg
Sailor-Moon-Oldflatten.jpg [ 23.81 KiB | Viewed 1014 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:52 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: In a relationship
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
^^^ OMG NO don't even joke about that XD I hate Kristen Stewart woman can't act although she would probably make a good Zoisite :googly:

You fools! You've messed with the Natural Orderrr!!!!!

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."-Gandhi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:38 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Rei-volution
Lunatastic wrote:
I'll still be here probably with others, welcoming newer fans to the fandom, and looking back on how much I used to enjoy watching the show on the first time.

But eventually there will only be people like me who only know Viz and have no idea about all the Internet cult following in the 90s. And so on when Viz goes out of print/goes the way of ADV and it's dubbed again by someone else to make money from a new generation.

I think you can compare to Star Trek and Star Wars, you have fans today who weren't alive at the time the original material was first released.

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:44 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Rei-volution
Speak of the devil, I just found this picture from @sailormbot on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:50 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: In a relationship
Hopefully some networks do reruns. Also it would be nice to hold meetings at Anime Expo...

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."-Gandhi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:56 pm 
Stella
Stella
LOL! Redblade7 that will totally be me when I am old. Grandma looks so cute in her Sailor Moon outfit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:57 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
redblade7 wrote:
Speak of the devil, I just found this picture from @sailormbot on Twitter:

Now that's a veteran fan. :cool:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:18 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Cat
Neon Genesis wrote:
Sailor Moon will still be a fond memory for it's devoted fans, but without any new content, Sailor Moon will be like other anime that used to be popular in the 90s but hasn't had any major new material in awhile like the Slayers franchise.

I agree that SM will remain a fond memory for those who grew up with it, probably for long as they're around. But Slayers had new material coming out as recently as 2012, and the light novel it was all based on only gave up the ghost in 2008. Sailor Moon was quite short in comparison and was done and over with in the 90s, so it's pretty remarkable that it's lasted as long as it has. It might still be around in pop culture in another 10 years in some shape or form.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:27 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Well let's look at some anime that are really old NOW:

- Speed Racer (turns 50 this year) - Still an iconic series in the US. Dormant, but new HD release coming.
- Lupin III (turns 50 this year) - Still an iconic series (in Japan and Europe) with new material being made.
- Gatchaman (turns 45 this year) - Still an iconic series, with a successful spinoff running.
- Yamato/Star Blazers (turns 43 this year) - Still an iconic series, with a recent Japanese live-action film.
- Urusei Yatsura (turns 39 this year) - Still an iconic series. Dormant, but Rumiko Takahashi is still going strong.
- Gundam (turns 38 this year) - Still an iconic franchise with new material being made.
- GoLion/Voltron (turns 36 this year) - Still an iconic franchise (worldwide) with new material being made (in the US).
- Macross/Robotech (turns 35 this year) - Still an iconic series (around the world) with new material being made (Japan only).
- Dragon Ball (turns 33 this year) - Still an iconic series with new material being made.
- Saint Seiya (turns 31 this year) - Still an iconic series around the world (but not in the US), with new material being made.

Sailor Moon will be fine.