Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: If the old cast used Viz script, would you watch?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:36 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Let's say the old cast was brought back but they use the Viz scripts. Would you watch it?

Post subject: Re: If the old cast used Viz script, would you watch?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:30 pm 
Luna
Luna
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
It depends on which VA would be doing the characters. If they got Tracey Moore as Usagi, Rino Romano as Mamoru, Emilie Barlow as Minako, Katie Griffin as Rei, and Tracey Hoyt as Chibi Usa, then yeah, I'd give it a watch. The other DiC/Cwi VAs for these characters just don't gel with me.

But then you have to consider the reverse question; who would watch the new cast working with the old dub's script (with the cut footage that DiC/Cwi didn't translate filled in with Viz's own script)? Again, I definitely would. It helps that I like most of the Viz VAs to begin with.

Matte Lupin!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:03 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
They'd have to have Susan Roman and Stephanie Morganstern still as Venus and Jupiter (I forget which is which, but the fact remains).

These opinions are fictional. Any resemblance to actual opinions, mine or someone else's, is coincidental.

CompTIA A+ Certified IT Tech

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:00 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
English dub Sailor Moon is dead to me. They could make the greatest dub in the history of anime dubs and it would still cause me physical pain and emotional distress to hear. My brain is hardwired to reject Sailor Moon in anything besides Japanese now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:50 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I have a great deal of love and respect for the original DiC dub cast, but I feel like they only fit the Western interpretation of their characters and not the original vision. The best example would be the voice of Luna. The DiC dub tried to tone down Luna's youthfullness and make her a more older mentor figure for Serena and that original DiC voice works fine for that version of Luna. But in the uncut version, Luna is clearly meant to be a much younger character and more like a big sister to Usgi than a motherly role, so I don't think Jill Frappier would fit well for the original Luna like she did for DiC's version. Even with Usagi, Terri Hawke's valleygirl interpretation of Serena was suitable for the 90s when valleygirl slang was more commonplace but I don't think it would work now and Usag is supposed to represent the ordinary average teenage girl and I don't think valleygirl Serena would be a good representation of today's average teenager.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:21 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
Even with Usagi, Terri Hawke's valleygirl interpretation of Serena was suitable for the 90s when valleygirl slang was more commonplace but I don't think it would work now and Usag is supposed to represent the ordinary average teenage girl and I don't think valleygirl Serena would be a good representation of today's average teenager.

I think this has more to do with the script than anything.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:37 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: gotta go fast
Sure why not I don't mind one way or the other

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:44 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Other: Status: Feel good.
Yeah I probably would... The awkward parts of translation in the script are another problem on the other hand.

Join the Discord chatroom here: https://discord.gg/h33j9fX
and the Chatango room: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:10 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Definitely! Scripting was always my biggest complaint with the old dub, so I'd love to see what the cast could do with better material/more experience.

But I do wonder how they would approach the roles where more than one actress played the part. Like with Moon - both Terri and Linda have expressed interest.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:00 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Lone Queen
Of course! I'd be open to watching any of the old voice actors trying again. :ami:

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:37 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The original voice cast was overall very good. Them and the voice director genuinely tried to put out a good product, and I'm sure they would have rather been given the opportunity to do an unedited version. At the time, it was some of the best anime voice acting around. The dub's fatal flaws were the script and editing. Of course, I'm talking about the DiC era. The Cloverway era had atrocious voice acting, thanks to some atrocious directing.

As far as them sounding different from the Japanese, MOST anime dubs of the day pretty much ignored how the Japanese seiyuu sounded, and just did their own thing. Just listen to Ranma.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:39 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
if Stephanie Beard is voicing Chibi-Usa count me in XD :mischief:

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:04 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Um hell yeah! I'd probably even double dip!

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:58 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
of course, in fact I actually prefer the Viz translations for some of the characters.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:51 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Even if by some miracle they could all come back, it would still all depend on the acting and directing quality. As evidenced by the Cloverway dub, good actors can still give a subpar performance, even if the script itself is good.

Like, imagine if Stephanie Beard, arguably the most critically acclaimed of all the Cloverway voice actors, returned to voice Chibiusa, but was directed to speak all of Chibiusa's lines with no energy, no enthusiasm, completely monotone/wooden/emotionless, and with her voice as deep-pitched and scratchy as possible. Even if her lines were scripted to be some of the best lines ever scripted in the history of dialogue scripting, and even if it was Stephanie freakin's Beard delivering the lines, the end result performance would still be terrible, having been ruined by awful acting direction.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

Last edited by Sabrblade on Mon May 22, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:31 pm 
Luna
Luna
Yeah, like others have said there definitely is more to it than just the actors in question. Direction matters a LOT.

That said, I do prefer the "old cast" (I know that's a broad term in this instance) over the Viz dub cast, so I would be more likely to watch the new English dub if that were the case.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:15 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I do wonder how they would decide which VA to bring back if they did bring back the original dub cast. Some fans might want a combination of the DiC and Cloverway cast, some might want only the DiC cast back. But even then, the DiC cast also had multiple actors for the same character. Darien had like three or four and they were all pretty good. Some fans would only want Tracey Moore back and others would want Terri Hawkes and even Linda Ballatyne has something of a cult following nowadays. I also doubt Viz would have been able to get back any of the original VAs for the minor characters for a redub even if they got back the Sailor Scouts' VAs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:41 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Most of the voice actors would probably return if asked back.

I think Karen Bernstein might come back, but I'm not sure. I also think Katie Griffin and Susan Roman will return if asked.
Stephanie Morgenstern is a writer so she might be hard to get back. Failing that, Emilie could return.
The cats would definitely come back.
Toby Proctor would be the easiest Tuxedo Mask to come back.

Sailor Moon is the most complicated. Terri Hawkes and Linda Ballantyne did say she would come back, but Terri is also a writer now and Linda's voice is infamous so she might not be asked, at least for the role. I honestly don't know about Tracey Moore.