* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Thoughts on DiC transitions
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:39 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
What do you think about the scene transition animations DiC had added to its dub of Sailor Moon?

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on DiC transitions
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:05 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I don't really think anything good, especially now that I'm used to the uncensored version.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:26 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Other: Status: Feel good.
It's essentially DiC's way of saying "Hey guys, we used digital technology to make our show look cooler! NOTICE US!"

Join the Discord chatroom here: https://discord.gg/h33j9fX
and the Chatango room: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:47 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
DIC did the same thing with their Saint Seiya dub (Knights of the Zodiac) that aired on Cartoon Network in the mid 2000's.
I honestly did not mind them as much in the Sailor Moon dub even if it felt a bit out place but with Knights of the Zodiac I felt it was even more out of place given the show was from the 80's, several years older than Sailor Moon and definitely looked it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:21 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I thought all the transitions graphics were in and of themselves pretty cool looking, however they were definitely overused.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:50 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
CGI scene transition graphics were a common practice with a lot of American animated series from the 80s and 90s. You used to see them in shows like Transformers and Captain Planet. I wouldn't wish for them nowadays but I think they add to the 90s charm of the series.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:35 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Married to Litacan
MementoNepenthe wrote:
I thought all the transitions graphics were in and of themselves pretty cool looking, however they were definitely overused.

I agree completely. I've actually got Madman/DiC DVDs of the first two series and they were cool but there weren't very many and they used them so many times I get annoyed at them after the second episode.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:22 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
I don't care for them. I also think that the added effects (ie - lightning bolts and smoke when Jadeite appears over Tokyo, extra visuals inside Beryl's crystal ball when it was originally black, big boarders during dream sequences and phone calls) were pretty jarring and out of place. Some might say that this adds to the charm of the DiC dub, but it makes me wonder why some of these effects were added in the first place. I guess they felt the original version was too dull when it comes to effects, so they added them in to give their version pizzazz. BTW, were the scene transitions still being used in the CWi dub of S and SuperS?

Matte Lupin!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:33 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
I don't like them. Sometimes they were ok but they were overused and generally unnecessary. I too wonder why so many digital effects were added in. I guess they thought kids wouldn't watch unless it was "flashy."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:38 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
GTAB wrote:
I don't care for them. I also think that the added effects (ie - lightning bolts and smoke when Jadeite appears over Tokyo, extra visuals inside Beryl's crystal ball when it was originally black, big boarders during dream sequences and phone calls) were pretty jarring and out of place. Some might say that this adds to the charm of the DiC dub, but it makes me wonder why some of these effects were added in the first place. I guess they felt the original version was too dull when it comes to effects, so they added them in to give their version pizzazz. BTW, were the scene transitions still being used in the CWi dub of S and SuperS?

Yes but only in the cut version.

Two fun facts: the manga also had images on Queen Beryl's crystal ball. And Crystal also had borders like DiC such as when Mamoru got embarrassed when Usagi implied that he likes Chibiusa more than her.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:25 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
DiC also added in digital effects for the transformations, like bolts of lighting for Sailor Jupiter and a flame appearing for Sailor Mars.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:36 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I personally think they are really cute and charming I mean I would say they are definitely pretty tacky and heavy handed but a lot of things about the Dic dub are and I am totally okay with that. I love the really heavy late 80's early 90's aesthetic that the show has. The little-animated borders and transitions and sound effects that accompany them are extremely dated definitely very Saved By the Bell but again I like that its nostalgic af. I feel like they really go with the saturday morning cartoon vibe they were going for. I can see how it can be distracting though since they are kinda big and loud. Actually now that I think about it Dic did something really similar with their New Kids on the Block cartoon.

Check it out and tell me what you guys think? Does it make you think Sailor Moon? My taste is horrible because to me its ridiculously cute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkx_QFEXcJM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:45 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
They were cute sometimes, but definitely overused. They used them almost every time a location changed. It does add to the 90s cheese of the show though.

I actually think they were used more effectively in the edited versions of the Cloverway episodes. They were used more sparingly, and the transitions themselves were more cool and subtle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:03 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I wonder why they never used them for the edited versions of the movies.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:11 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I couldn't recall the Cloverway dub using transitions at all so seeing it for the first time in years was weird. Youtube had a transition or two on there that I could find but I popped in one of my edited VHS just to get a look at how they fit and I have to say although they look cute they seem really out of place given the music and the slang they use for the show since it was already the 2000's by then it just seems kinda wrong. I felt like it lacked certain touches as well such as the hidden video in the jewel of the tiara that Dic had.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:16 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
I wonder why they never used them for the edited versions of the movies.

Because they would feel even more out of place in a movie than a TV show. Don't know why, but that's the way it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:23 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
I get the feeling that similar transitions would've been used in the Toon Makers SM if they ever made it past the pilot episode.

Matte Lupin!