Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:52 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Is Naoko butchering her own property? (WITH INTERVIEW)
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:59 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Italy is one of the top 5 countries most crazed by Sailor Moon back in the 90s.
Even there, the numbers of copies sold in the 2010s home video relaunch weren't able to pay for the budget Dynit (the italian home video company) spent on the license. Even though they sold well, they ended up no good business for the italian company.
It's no mystery to fans with closer ties to Toei and international distributors that Naoko imposes big prices in SM's licensing, so she can earn huge royalties.
Back in 2011, a Sailor Moon S DVD volume released in Brazil with three episodes costed way more than DVDS of acclaimed live-action series like "Lost" and "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air", containing more than twice the number of episodes SMS had. I don't need to explain the product was a huge flop.
Why is Toei giving this lady such bargain power? I mean, DB and Saint Seiya products aren't so expensive as SM ones.
Did Toei have to sell its soul to Naoko to have Sailor Moon's license back? She is also notorious for postponing international business approvals, since she has been in control of the rights.

EDIT:
Interview with Selecta Vision from Spain

RP2: ¿Qué hay de Sailor Moon y Sailor Moon Crystal?

M.G: Naoko Takeuchi aún no ha podido sentarse a ver el plan de lanzamiento que, por otra parte, ya está aprobado por Toei Animation y Selecta Visión. Como sabéis la que controla los derechos es la autora directamente. Parece ser que ha querido retrasar mucha aprobaciones que tenía pendientes con muchos países, tanto es así que hace poco se anunció: en diciembre de 2015 la empresa MadMan de Australia -que es una empresa como puede ser Selecta Visión en España- anunció que iban a lanzar Sailor Moon y llevaban como un año a la espera. Nosotros entonces pensamos que las cosas podrían comenzar a avanzar, pero Toei nos confirmó que no, así que seguimos esperando.

Translation

RP2: What about Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon Crystal?

M.G: Naoko Takeuchi has not yet been able to sit down to see the launch plan which, moreover, is already approved by Toei Animation and Selecta Vision. As you know the one that controls the rights is the author directly. It seems that she has wanted to delay many pending approvals with many countries, so much so that recently announced: in December 2015 the company MadMan Australia - which is a company as can be Selecta Vision in Spain - announced that they were going to Launch Sailor Moon and they had been waiting for a year. We then thought that things could begin to move forward, but Toei confirmed that they did not, so we keep waiting.

source: http://ramenparados.com/entrevista-sele ... barcelona/

Last edited by kevoso96 on Sun May 07, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Naoko is destroying her own property
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:14 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Keep in mind Anime itself can also be expensive, and Toei itself can also have very expensive licenses. Its Super Sentai licenses are apparently a lot of money according to Shout Factory. So it may not just be Takeuchi.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:58 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
John wrote:
Keep in mind Anime itself can also be expensive, and Toei itself can also have very expensive licenses. Its Super Sentai licenses are apparently a lot of money according to Shout Factory. So it may not just be Takeuchi.

So how come Saint Seiya and Dragon Ball home video is less expensive? They are both top sellers from Toei, just like SM.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:00 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
kevoso96 wrote:

Back in 2011, a Sailor Moon S DVD volume released in Brazil with three episodes costed way more than DVDS of acclaimed live-action series like "Lost" and "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air", containing more than twice the number of episodes SMS had. I don't need to explain the product was a huge flop.

The Brazilian distributor marketed the hell out of "Sailor Moon S" in Brazil and there was even a big party to celebrate the release of the first volume of the DVD, which had, I believe, only 3 episodes. There were a few select fans interested in supporting this release; however, the sales performed so meagerly that there was no volume 2. Upon the release of volume 1, the series was discontinued.

"Saint Seiya" and "Dragon Ball" performed well in Brazil.

I think anime in general is expensive --here in the U.S. and abroad-- and, for that reason, I only buy secondhand DVDs and BDs. Even if I were a millionaire, there is absolutely NO WAY that I would support the absurd prices imposed by the industry.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:23 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I think that many factors caused the DVD's flop here in Italy. A lot of fans were angered because Dynit did not do a re-dub more faithful to the original scripts so they decided not to buy the DVD. The high price and the low rating did not help either.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:18 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Clow wrote:
kevoso96 wrote:

The Brazilian distributor marketed the hell out of "Sailor Moon S" in Brazil and there was even a big party to celebrate the release of the first volume of the DVD, which had, I believe, only 3 episodes. There were a few select fans interested in supporting this release; however, the sales performed so meagerly that there was no volume 2. Upon the release of volume 1, the series was discontinued.

"Saint Seiya" and "Dragon Ball" performed well in Brazil.

I think anime in general is expensive --here in the U.S. and abroad-- and, for that reason, I only buy secondhand DVDs and BDs. Even if I were a millionaire, there is absolutely NO WAY that I would support the absurd prices imposed by the industry.

It's good that you mentioned Saint Seiya. Even the latest generations of the franchise aren't as expensive in brazilian home video as that SMS pathetic release was.
It's not simply a issue with anime in general, the Sailor Moon franchise really manages to have absurd pricing worldwide.
And @Signorina Tsukino, something similar happened in Brazil. But the fans weren't asking for fidelity, just for a decent redub. The R-Stars seasons were poorly treated dub-wise in Brazil, plagued with bizarre adaptations (eg. "Sailor Scouts/Senshi" was often translated as SAILOR MOONS), and the actress who voiced Serena/Sailor Moon didn't even have proper diction to begin with. If you didn't pay attention, you wouldn't understand what she said as she was always shouting her lines. Like the Outers in the english dub, but at least their lines were comprehensible.
So fans wanted a redub, the DVD company even offered to pay for it, but Toei refused, citing "Naoko" as the reason.
So a lot of fans didn't support the release.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:39 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: In a relationship
Viz is another prime example of this. They have the rights and want to take down any old remains of DiC. The move is somewhat bad for me because I remember growing up with the DiC translation and not Viz. Viz will do anything to make sure that people on YouTube don't use music from DiC.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."-Gandhi

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:49 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
Well she's been really rude to the Spanish distributors.
They had been battling to get the license for half a decade. They finally got it.
That was 2 years ago. Since then Naoko hasn't even looked at the release planning of the company so the company can't release anything.
Naoko has put the release of Sailor Moon in Spain for 7 years now.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:34 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
GuerreroLuna wrote:
Well she's been really rude to the Spanish distributors.
They had been battling to get the license for half a decade. They finally got it.
That was 2 years ago. Since then Naoko hasn't even looked at the release planning of the company so the company can't release anything.
Naoko has put the release of Sailor Moon in Spain for 7 years now.

She did it to Netflix Brazil too.
Netflix BR paid for the R movie license, for a dub featuring voice actresses from both brazilian versions, but never got the final permission to upload the movie.
But this has no official source, just a Netflix employee who told the fans.
There are news sources about the Spain incident?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:15 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Toei is no better. Today they were able to piss off alle the italian fans of Crystal.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:32 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SignorinaTsukino wrote:
Toei is no better. Today they were able to piss off alle the italian fans of Crystal.

What did they do now?

EDIT: Saw the other thread, ouch...

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:20 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
kevoso96 wrote:
And @Signorina Tsukino, something similar happened in Brazil. But the fans weren't asking for fidelity, just for a decent redub. The R-Stars seasons were poorly treated dub-wise in Brazil, plagued with bizarre adaptations (eg. "Sailor Scouts/Senshi" was often translated as SAILOR MOONS), and the actress who voiced Serena/Sailor Moon didn't even have proper diction to begin with.

Fans in Brazil wanted a re-dub of ALL seasons: season 1 was dubbed in 1996 with a great cast, whereas the other seasons, beginning with R, were not dubbed until the early-00s, with a totally different cast. The actress who voiced Usagi in season 1 did an amazing job, whereas the actress who voiced Usagi in the remaining seasons did a so-so job. Thus, fans wanted the distributor do deliver a consistent dub, much like VIZ has been doing here in North America. Speaking of which, I have no idea how VIZ managed to get the rights for a new Sailor Moon dub; they must have paid an absurd price, is my suspicion.

Naoko also gave a very difficult time for companies in Brazil wanting to publish "Sailor Moon." Nobody understood why titles such as "Saint Seiya" and "Cardcaptor Sakura" were easily released, whereas "Sailor Moon" was difficult to get released. It turns out that many companies wanted to release "Sailor Moon," but to do so they allegedly had to impress Naoko. Finally, in 2014, after 10 years of negotiation, a Brazilian publisher was able to release the "Sailor Moon" manga in Brazil. The manga released in Brazil is the same version of the manga released in North America by Kodansha USA; however, the paper used to print the manga in Brazil is WAY superior to that used by Kodansha USA.

I am not sure about Mexico, but I don't think they got a new dub (or did they?). I do know that the distributors dubbed "Princess Moon" into Spanish, and Naoko did not authorize them to use the song.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:55 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Clow wrote:
kevoso96 wrote:
And @Signorina Tsukino, something similar happened in Brazil. But the fans weren't asking for fidelity, just for a decent redub. The R-Stars seasons were poorly treated dub-wise in Brazil, plagued with bizarre adaptations (eg. "Sailor Scouts/Senshi" was often translated as SAILOR MOONS), and the actress who voiced Serena/Sailor Moon didn't even have proper diction to begin with.

Fans in Brazil wanted a re-dub of ALL seasons: season 1 was dubbed in 1996 with a great cast, whereas the other seasons, beginning with R, were not dubbed until the early-00s, with a totally different cast. The actress who voiced Usagi in season 1 did an amazing job, whereas the actress who voiced Usagi in the remaining seasons did a so-so job. Thus, fans wanted the distributor do deliver a consistent dub, much like VIZ has been doing here in North America. Speaking of which, I have no idea how VIZ managed to get the rights for a new Sailor Moon dub; they must have paid an absurd price, is my suspicion.

Naoko also gave a very difficult time for companies in Brazil wanting to publish "Sailor Moon." Nobody understood why titles such as "Saint Seiya" and "Cardcaptor Sakura" were easily released, whereas "Sailor Moon" was difficult to get released. It turns out that many companies wanted to release "Sailor Moon," but to do so they allegedly had to impress Naoko. Finally, in 2014, after 10 years of negotiation, a Brazilian publisher was able to release the "Sailor Moon" manga in Brazil. The manga released in Brazil is the same version of the manga released in North America by Kodansha USA; however, the paper used to print the manga in Brazil is WAY superior to that used by Kodansha USA.

I am not sure about Mexico, but I don't think they got a new dub (or did they?). I do know that the distributors dubbed "Princess Moon" into Spanish, and Naoko did not authorize them to use the song.

Sorry, but if the 2nd Sailor Moon BR VA did a "so-so" job, her performance wouldn't still be loathed by so many fans after having voiced more than 150 episodes and after 15 years the dub she was featured in ended. She had plenty of time and episodes to get over the fans' nostalgia from the 46 episodes the previous actress worked on, just like Amy's or even Rei's second VAs did, for example.
But her job was so awful she is quoted as one of the main reasons some fans boycotted the SMS DVDs, released almost 10 years after the series dub concluded.
Mexico/Latin America never got a redub, as far as I know they were never interested in one. And yes, "Naoko" vetoed the openings and endings previously undubbed from getting spanish versions.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:39 am 
Planeta
Planeta
I lived in Brazil until the mid-00s. I never dedicated a lot of attention to the performance of the second Brazilian actress who voiced Usagi because I was watching the original Japanese version by the time that Cartoon Network started airing the R season.

Basically, "Sailor Moon" aired in Brazil, for the first time, in 1996; however, the TV station only aired the first season. We, the fans, hoped and prayed that "R" would be released, but we did not see "Sailor Moon R" in Brazil until the early-00s; and "R," as far as I know, was shown only through Cartoon Network (a paid cable channel).

In any event, the actress who voiced Usagi for the first time did a marvelous job and I know that many fans --including myself-- would love having her voice Usagi again. She was perfect.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:21 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Clow wrote:
I lived in Brazil until the mid-00s. I never dedicated a lot of attention to the performance of the second Brazilian actress who voiced Usagi because I was watching the original Japanese version by the time that Cartoon Network started airing the R season.

Basically, "Sailor Moon" aired in Brazil, for the first time, in 1996; however, the TV station only aired the first season. We, the fans, hoped and prayed that "R" would be released, but we did not see "Sailor Moon R" in Brazil until the early-00s; and "R," as far as I know, was shown only through Cartoon Network (a paid cable channel).

In any event, the actress who voiced Usagi for the first time did a marvelous job and I know that many fans --including myself-- would love having her voice Usagi again. She was perfect.

Sorry, are you Leandro Borthot from SOSSM? Where do you live now?
And Record also aired the R season. Where did you get to watch the japanese ver the time? There were portuguese subtitles?

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:01 am 
Planeta
Planeta
kevoso96 wrote:
And Record also aired the R season. Where did you get to watch the japanese ver the time? There were portuguese subtitles?

You are confusing me with someone else. I ain't Leandro Borhot. :o

I didn't know Record had aired the R season. Kind of shocking... Record is such a conservative TV station.

And, to answer your question, I was able to watch Sailor Moon in the early-00s because a friend sent me the Japanese version with English subs.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:17 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Clow wrote:
kevoso96 wrote:

I didn't know Record had aired the R season. Kind of shocking... Record is such a conservative TV station.

And, to answer your question, I was able to watch Sailor Moon in the early-00s because a friend sent me the Japanese version with English subs.

They actually bought R and S. They cancelled the R season during the very first run, and never aired S. Guess they thought the content was inappropriate in the very last minute.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:42 am 
Planeta
Planeta
kevoso96 wrote:
Clow wrote:
kevoso96 wrote:

They actually bought R and S. They cancelled the R season during the very first run, and never aired S. Guess they thought the content was inappropriate in the very last minute.

R you from Brazil?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:23 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Didn't she already do that with Sailor Moon Crystal?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:28 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Didn't she already do that by creating Chibiusa? :o

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:05 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Other: Married To NQS!
Maraviollantes wrote:

ouch Mara 1 Everyone else 0 :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:13 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Enjoy Yourself
Maraviollantes wrote:

nah chiba did that first and since he's part of why chibiusa exists that makes him worse :o

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:22 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Prince Rose wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:

nah chiba did that first and since he's part of why chibiusa exists that makes him worse :o

I thought you were the reason Chibi-Usa exists?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:26 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
Prince Rose wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:

I thought you were the reason Chibi-Usa exists?

we both are P-:

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:29 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Prince Rose wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:

But Usagi also has a 50% responsibility for that. :P

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:31 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Prince Rose wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:

But Usagi also has a 50% responsibility for that. :P

Rose 25% chiba 25% Usagi 50% = :chibiusa:

Looks like it's time to get on Maury show :googly: :googly: :googly: :googly:

Attachments:
Rose you are the father.jpg
Rose you are the father.jpg [ 54.49 KiB | Viewed 2237 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:35 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
^^^so yours and Chiba's Sperm combined in the womb then? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:46 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
so yours and Chiba's Sperm combined in the womb then? :lol:

Current technology has already created children w/ three genetical parents. lol

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:31 am 
Stella
Stella
Maraviollantes wrote:

Japan loves Chibiusa though.

Also Rose you got it wrong. Chibiusa is Usagi and Mamoru's kid. Kousagi is you and Usagi's kid.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:47 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Chibiusa wasn't even Naoko's idea; it was Osabu's. Osabu's also the one who talked Naoko into ending the first arc the way she did (which most fans don't particularly like) instead of doing an ending more like what the anime did (which most fans vastly prefer). If anyone's destroying Sailor Moon, it's probably Osabu :P

Seriously though, this narrative in the fandom that Naoko is some kind of oppressive control freak who's responsible for every bad release or licensing difficulty or anything else perceived as wrong or bad seems like a fantasy steeped in misogyny to me. It's all just speculation based on heresy and I'm not really buying it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next