Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is Naoko butchering her own property? (WITH INTERVIEW)
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:10 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
You know what, I'm done with this discussion. It's clearly going no where with you.

Everyone make sure to end their post with a disclaimer that says "ALL OPINIONS EXPRESSED ARE NOT TO BE TAKEN AS INSULTS TOWARDS NAOKO TAKEUCHI. SHE IS THE ULTIMATE CREATOR AND I RESPECT HER AND HAVE THE MOST GRATITUDE FOR HER." :P

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:22 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
And I am done with this discussion with you too because clearly I'm not getting anywhere with you either.

And a friendly reminder to other members in this forum:

If you disagree or do not share the same opinions with the majority here, it's better to keep your mouth shut and your opinions to yourself and mind your own business, because the masses will tear you apart and shut you down just for disagreeing with their opinions.

My god, I think I need a break from this forum, this fandom is too depressing for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:26 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
We can all agree to disagree politely and without being aggressive. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:37 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:
I was referring to your assertion that Toei approached Naoko first to create a manga they could make into a senta/tokusatsu-type anime, rather than Naoko being the one to have the idea to do a Sailor V-type manga one-shot with Toei getting involved later on.

http://wikimoon.org/index.php?title=TV_Asahi

Sorry, it was not TOEI that approached Naoko, it was TV Asahi. TV Asahi is the same TV station that aired "Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine" (a TOEI + Bandai production, as I am sure you are aware).

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:56 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Other: Status: Feel good.
I dunno if this contributes... What about PGSM? Did Naoko have any say or opinion in that area of the franchise? Just wondering...

Join the Discord chatroom here: https://discord.gg/h33j9fX
and the Chatango room: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:40 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Lunatastic wrote:
I dunno if this contributes... What about PGSM? Did Naoko have any say or opinion in that area of the franchise? Just wondering...

If you guys want to google her thoughts on PGSM, then go ahead. I believe that she always dreamed of "Sailor Moon" becoming a tokusatsu show and that she loved "PGSM." She was behind the scenes: designing new costumes, writing songs, and by the time that the show ended she wrote a personal letter to each member of the show thanking them for portraying her characters. I believe she said that one her characters (Rei, I think?) belonged to the actress.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:53 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: gotta go fast
Clow wrote:
Lunatastic wrote:

If you guys want to google her thoughts on PGSM, then go ahead. I believe that she always dreamed of "Sailor Moon" becoming a tokusatsu show and that she loved "PGSM." She was behind the scenes: designing new costumes, writing songs, and by the time that the show ended she wrote a personal letter to each member of the show thanking them for portraying her characters. I believe she said that one her characters (Rei, I think?) belonged to the actress.

if that's true I totally agree with Naoko about Rei as Keiko played the best version of Rei I ever saw :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:52 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Naoko also demanded Toei cast Miyuu as Usagi; originally they wanted a different actress to play her. I've always wondered who they had in mind, but I also can't imagine anyone doing a better job than Miyuu.

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:44 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Seira Hazuki wrote:
But where are these ungrateful fans that you keep speaking of? Aside from the obvious troll in the thread who never has anything good to say about the manga or Naoko.

Was that comment directed at me? :eek:

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:44 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
John wrote:
Let's calm down. The whole "who is responsible for Sailor Moon" question is being discussed in another thread.

Fans can be upset at how their favorite anime is being treated overseas, but Naoko herself is not to blame for all of these problems, and at the end of the day the Japanese version is still available for purchase. We live in an increasingly globalized economy. Just buy the Japanese Blu-rays when they're released starting this summer. I honestly think it's better to support the Japanese releases than to get upset over how distributors are handling your favorite property in your country (wherever you are).

For example, Viz Media has those Sailor Moon Blu-rays of questionable quality. I'm buying them because I'm a loyal fan and I can afford them, but they're awful. Instead of complaining, though, I'm just going to wait for the Japanese Blu-rays (which will undoubtedly be of higher quality). These upcoming Japanese Blu-rays will be the definitive version of Sailor Moon for quite some time regardless of whichever dub you prefer.

kevoso96 wrote:
Yeah, really just your japanese version hard-die fan opinion.

Was this necessary? It sounds incredibly rude of you.

Quote:
My big issues doen't revolve around this, because this is only one of the amount of unreasonable Naoko attitudes regarding worldwide releases, that I have mentioned here.

Why is it unreasonable again?

Quote:
And you don't have a point there, because:

1 - I don't live in Hispanic America, I live in Brazil. So Mexico or other spanish-speaking countries aren't "my country".

1) Brazil is in Latin America.

2) If this is not happening in your country, why do you care so much?

Quote:
2 - Moonies in Latin America are really fond of their dub, which was mostly uncensored, unlike the american ones.

This is true, and it tends to be true for Latin American fans of many other anime titles. I think it's a bit silly, but that's your basic Latino pride right there. Latin Americans (I am including Spanish speakers and Brazilians when I say that) are very proud people, usually to a fault. They probably think their dub is superior to the original, especially to any dub from Spain. (Disclaimer: I myself am of Latino heritage and having experienced this myself, I feel more than qualified to have this opinion.)

Quote:
3 - They aren't enjoying the original songs in japanese. All episodes in all seasons have the translated versions of "Moonlight Densetsu" and "Heart Moving" as openings and endings.

That is very strange and not appropriate, but I doubt this has anything to do with Takeuchi Naoko herself. Do you have any evidence that states she insisted on this being the case? Or do you think this possibly has something to do with distributors not being able to afford licenses? In which case...that's not Takeuchi's fault at all.

Quote:
4 - The 2011-2016 korean redub, the 2011-2012 hebrew dub dubbed most of the songs. So this "standard" stuff you mentioned doesn't apply to classic SM.

I said it's standard and not common. I didn't say it's impossible or that it never happens anymore. Congratulations, you pointed out two new dubs that do this. How many have kept the original songs?

Let's also not forget that Naoko is busy raising a child and dealing with a husband who has health issues so maybe those things are more important than Sailor Moon.

Brazil is classified for "Latin America" in geography, but we were colonized by a different country than the rest of Latin America and thus speak a different language. So our demographics and market are different.

"Why this is upsetting you" isn't a question to make when we are talking about the creators' impact on international business. What actually happened in my country is that Naoko vetoed the redub fans were looking forward for years, and the owner of the company releasing the S DVDs was willing to pay for it himself.

Back in the 90s, translated versions of "Moonlight Densetsu" and "Heart Moving" were used as OPs and EDs of all seasons of the latino dub.
This could change when Towers Entertainment started releasing the DVD Talk Boxes on Mexico with the classic dub. They wanted to dub the previously undubbed OPs and EDs. But in the last minute, Naoko forbid the brand-new, just recorded versions of "Princess Moon" and "Otome no Policy" to be included on the episodes.
You can say Toei was being difficult and using Naoko as a scapegoat. But SEVERAL others international companies blame and blamed Takeuchi for problems and delays in the releases, so I highly doubt there was a conspiracy to blame the woman for everything that goes wrong with SM.

Regarding your international song question, I can also quote the 2015 Vietnamese season 1 dub that also made their own versions of the songs. So, every brand new Classic Sailor Moon release (except for the Viz Media one) translates the songs.

And I respect Naoko for being busy with her family. But if she has no time to approve international business plans, it's a darn good reason for she giving this duty to another person rather than letting piles of paper rot on her table.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:49 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
I don't like this thread... Everyone's so mad at each other and I want you to just STOP :(

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:04 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Lunatastic wrote:
I don't like this thread... Everyone's so mad at each other and I want you to just STOP :(

Jeez, relax. People are just mad when they throw insults at others. This isn't happening here.
I'm not mad, and I guess the other involved feel the same :setsuna:

Last edited by kevoso96 on Thu May 11, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:08 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Oh, sorry. It's just that heated discussions always leave me concerned for the well-being of others.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:20 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Here is a piece MoonChase wrote about the situation in Brazil: http://www.moon-chase.com/category/lati ... ca/brazil/

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:35 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
kamen_glider wrote:
Naoko:
Attachment:
1otft6.jpg

Fans: FFFUUUU

:D :D

Miss Takeuchi keeps getting more beautiful with age :mischief:

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:52 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Clow wrote:
Here is a piece MoonChase wrote about the situation in Brazil: http://www.moon-chase.com/category/lati ... ca/brazil/

There was a thread on this back when it was posted in 2011.

http://www.sailormoonforum.com/viewtopi ... 22&t=15750

The comments about Italy being denied a redub turned out to be false because a company rep from Dynit later posted on their Facebook saying it was because they couldn't afford it.

http://www.sailormoonforum.com/viewtopi ... 47#p645947

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:22 pm 
Luna
Luna
As usual, Moon Chase was spreading things that were not true. :( Or, rather, they reported a statement from a distributor that is obviously a lie.

It says:

"A statement posted to their site from Márcio S. Reginnette, a representative of Brazil’s CD & DVD Factory, states that a redub of Sailor Moon S is not authorized because Naoko Takeuchi has not approved of any redubbing in any language." -- Easily false because other countries have gotten re-dubs, including the Viz English re-dub. I have no idea why they would lie about something like this.

Furthermore: if that company was only able to secure the rights to Sailor Moon S and not any of the other seasons, that's probably their own problem. It probably has something to do with the whole show being too expensive for them and they just wanted to do the most popular one. Or maybe they were impatient and wanted to start releasing the show as soon as possible?

At any rate, I still have yet to see any evidence that states that Takeuchi herself (or her licensing company) dictated that the Brazilian distributors were to only release 3-episode DVDs. That seems to have been their own choice and their own undoing.

I don't blame fans for not supporting the show that way, but they should be blaming the distribution company for mishandling the product.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:47 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
There are so many things that fans love to claim that Naoko has said at different points, but it's rarely true, since she's a very private person. It's all speculation. I really don't think she has as much say about overseas releases as some think she does, and I don't actually think she approved of the new English voice cast either (though Toei USA probably did).

Nobody really knows why the series was unavailable for so long outside Japan, but I don't think she really had much to do with that either. It was probably some legal dispute of some kind, I highly doubt Naoko actively wanted to pull the series worldwide. She was definitely not the reason we didn't get Stars dubbed the first time.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:55 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
What has this thread done?

You maniacs, you blew it up!

Attachments:
oh my.png
oh my.png [ 354.53 KiB | Viewed 820 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:58 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Nobody really knows why the series was unavailable for so long outside Japan, but I don't think she really had much to do with that either.

Duh, it is common knowledge that she was consumed by rage: she wanted to export PGSM to North America & Europe, but nobody wanted to license it. P-:

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:41 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Clow wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Nobody really knows why the series was unavailable for so long outside Japan, but I don't think she really had much to do with that either.

Duh, it is common knowledge that she was consumed by rage: she wanted to export PGSM to North America & Europe, but nobody wanted to license it. P-:

Considering that PGSM was her pet, that's pretty plausible. :P

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:50 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
There are so many things that fans love to claim that Naoko has said at different points, but it's rarely true, since she's a very private person. It's all speculation. I really don't think she has as much say about overseas releases as some think she does, and I don't actually think she approved of the new English voice cast either (though Toei USA probably did).

Nobody really knows why the series was unavailable for so long outside Japan, but I don't think she really had much to do with that either. It was probably some legal dispute of some kind, I highly doubt Naoko actively wanted to pull the series worldwide. She was definitely not the reason we didn't get Stars dubbed the first time.

The guy behind the licensing in Brazil said back in 2009 in a interview to the website Jbox: "I would like to work with Sailor Moon again, but it has trouble with the author".
Naoko is indeed a very private person, and that's why what worldwide content distributors are the only reliable sources about her "businesswoman" skills. :artemis:

Clow wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Whoa. Where did you get that from? The SM licensing rights being shut down right after PGSM is quite interesting.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:07 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Attachment:
popcorn.png
popcorn.png [ 93.76 KiB | Viewed 765 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:22 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Now both Clow & I have stirred up another quarrel here. :ninja:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:14 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Other: gotta go fast
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Now both Clow & I have stirred up another quarrel here. :ninja:

well if it gets out of hand I'ma lock it away and throw the key to chiba who will then lose it because he messes everything up :o

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:24 am 
Planeta
Planeta
kevoso96 wrote:
Whoa. Where did you get that from? The SM licensing rights being shut down right after PGSM is quite interesting.

I made that up... but I do think it is a very plausible theory. P-:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:34 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
All the drama in this post is giving me life TBH.
Just to add fuel to the fire: I do remember that IVREA, Argentina's biggest Manga company, was very open about how difficult it was for them to get the licence to release Sailor Moon's manga in my country. In fact, I do remember how they complained about it over a decade ago... which is funny because the manga got released just now, meaning they might have been negotiating for more than 10 years with Naoko :lol:
On Naoko's defense, same was true for Dragon Ball's manga. Maybe japanese authors are just picky in general.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:57 am 
Planeta
Planeta
This thread is fun

Anyhow, back to topic:

John wrote:
As usual, Moon Chase was spreading things that were not true. :( Or, rather, they reported a statement from a distributor that is obviously a lie.

It says:

"A statement posted to their site from Márcio S. Reginnette, a representative of Brazil’s CD & DVD Factory, states that a redub of Sailor Moon S is not authorized because Naoko Takeuchi has not approved of any redubbing in any language." -- Easily false because other countries have gotten re-dubs, including the Viz English re-dub. I have no idea why they would lie about something like this.

I don't know anything about Moon Chase, but Moon Chase accurately reported what many Brazilian websites reported. Not false.

Did you examine the date the Moon Chase article was posted? April 9 2011.

VIZ announced that it had acquired the rights to re-dub the series only in 2014. Moreover, VIZ obtained the rights to re-dub the series, yes, but Mexico and Brazil, thus far, were not given any type of authorization to re-dub the series. Both distributors from Mexico and Brazil openly stated that Naoko, the creator, did not authorize them to re-dub the series.

C-17 wrote:
Just to add fuel to the fire: I do remember that IVREA, Argentina's biggest Manga company, was very open about how difficult it was for them to get the licence to release Sailor Moon's manga in my country. In fact, I do remember how they complained about it over a decade ago... which is funny because the manga got released just now, meaning they might have been negotiating for more than 10 years with Naoko :lol:
On Naoko's defense, same was true for Dragon Ball's manga. Maybe japanese authors are just picky in general.

Same thing happened in Brazil with JBC. It took about 10 years for the Sailor Moon manga to get an official release in Brazil. Brazil did not release the "Perfect Edition," but the paper used to print the manga in Brazil has the the same quality of the paper that was used to print the "Perfect Edition" in Japan.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:03 am 
Luna
Luna
Has anyone considered the possibility that if Naoko herself did indeed personally refuse the Brazilian rights to re-dub the show, it might have had more to do with their inability to pay for anything beyond the S season?

Maybe she just didn't want a single season to be dubbed which was all they could afford.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:06 am 
Planeta
Planeta
So..... from what I understand, this whole "discussion" was basically: "What took the distributors so long?"

Well... does it matter? You've got the manga. Read it, enjoy it, do some knitting, go have some coffee with cream or something.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next