Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Is Naoko butchering her own property? (WITH INTERVIEW)
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:12 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SailorWelshy wrote:
So..... from what I understand, this whole "discussion" was basically: "What took the distributors so long?"

Well... does it matter? You've got the manga. Read it, enjoy it, do some knitting, go have some coffee with cream or something.

Thank you!

Basically, yeah. It's international fans upset that their local distributors were unable to pay for the licenses to the entire show and had to cut corners while simultaneously blaming Naoko for various things that might not have been her fault regardless of what the distributors have said (the same distributors whose claims have been disproven before).

It's nothing new. The Sailor Moon fandom is infinitely unable to be satisfied with anything less than perfection.

And Clow, the quote from the distributors states that Naoko forbade ANY redubbing in ANY language which is obviously not true. They also lied about the situation in Italy. So personally, I can't trust anything this Brazilian distributor says.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:19 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
John wrote:
So personally, I can't trust anything this Brazilian distributor says.

It is their word... whether they are lying to fans, well, that could be a possibility...

If a big anime company like Funi had trouble while attempting to negotiate with Naoko/TOEI, what can be said about a much smaller company, such as that from Brazil?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:20 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Ami-Chans True Love
Clow wrote:
John wrote:
So personally, I can't trust anything this Brazilian distributor says.

It is their word... whether they are lying to fans, well, that could be a possibility...

If a big anime company like Funi had trouble while attempting to negotiate with Naoko/TOEI, what can be said about a much smaller company, such as that from Brazil?

heh heh I can see it know Funimation dubbing Sailor Moon and Chris Sabat voices Chiba :lol: his nickname can be PiccoloChiba XD

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:31 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It's all speculation. I really don't think she has as much say about overseas releases as some think she does, and I don't actually think she approved of the new English voice cast either (though Toei USA probably did).

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/467475712518414336 (from May 2014 after it was announced)

Quote:
This English voice cast will be picked by the creator herself. Whether or not she picked anyone from the old team is up to her.

How true is anyone's guess but one thing is for sure, Toei USA definitely had some involvement.

From one of the first Blu-ray set's extras and recorded during a session.

FUNi's Dragon Ball Super dub had something similar since they were actually credited in the show's English credits but I wouldn't be surprised if Toei had been approving dubs for years since there was similar speculation over the casting in the One Piece redub back in 2007 and then there's the whole TeamFourStar fiasco in Buu Kai recently which was pretty bad.

Clow wrote:
Did you examine the date the Moon Chase article was posted? April 9 2011.

VIZ announced that it had acquired the rights to re-dub the series only in 2014. Moreover, VIZ obtained the rights to re-dub the series, yes, but Mexico and Brazil, thus far, were not given any type of authorization to re-dub the series. Both distributors from Mexico and Brazil openly stated that Naoko, the creator, did not authorize them to re-dub the series.

Viz here is a late example, there were other countries who got it much earlier than they did and were able to redub it including Thailand & the Philippines in 2011, Korea in 2012 and while Poland didn't get an actual dub until 2015 with the movies, they did have a second voice over translation done for the show in 2011 as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:59 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
"I can't believe this brazilian home video distributor, neither the mexican home video distributor, neither the spanish home video distributor, neither Viz. I can't believe nothing that isn't stated in public by Naoko herself". - a lot of people on this thread.

John wrote:
And Clow, the quote from the distributors states that Naoko forbade ANY redubbing in ANY language which is obviously not true. They also lied about the situation in Italy. So personally, I can't trust anything this Brazilian distributor says.

Well, Toei gave Reginette the same reason they gave to Towers Entertainment for not dubbing the songs: Naoko forbade it. I don't believe neither distributor is lying, but that's the reason Toei has given to more than one company. But let me get straight to pont of redubs: they happen often, for a lot of reasons.
But rarely when a dub is still archived and has no legal complications.
The brazilian SMS dub, as an example, was commissioned by Cloverway in 2000, with no ties to channels. Cartoon Network Brazil just bought the rights to air it back then and that's all.
Since Cloverway was a American branch of Toei, after it went defunct Toei started acting as the distributor of the shows in Latin America directly, using the very same dubs Cloverway produced.
So there was a Sailor Moon S brazilian dub uncensored, properly archived and in perfect legal possession of Toei. According to what Toei told the brazilian distributor, Naoko saw no reason to redub it. Although the home video company's owner knew the dub had been done poorly back in the early 2000s, and offered to pay for a new one.
The redubs you guys are mentioning here are probably happening because either the files have been lost, either are in possession of TV channels who aren't selling it for a reasonable price or other reasons that make they impossible to be commercialized now.

John wrote:
Has anyone considered the possibility that if Naoko herself did indeed personally refuse the Brazilian rights to re-dub the show, it might have had more to do with their inability to pay for anything beyond the S season?

Maybe she just didn't want a single season to be dubbed which was all they could afford.

Well, it's indeed a possibility. Toei decided to start the relaunch in Brazil with the third season, don't ask me why. The home video distributor just worked with the material sent in by Toei, which happened to be S.

And about the people going "you got the official release after you grew up and gave birth to your second son? Just enjoy it"... I just have no words for them, it's just so much eagerness to shield Naoko from whatever criticism she gets.

And finally: I never said Naoko wanted to release DVD volumes with 3 episodes each. I'm blaming the high prices she is used to impose on dated episodes. Other Toei properties aren't that expensive on home video releases, so Sailor Moon having a bigger price standard appoints to a problem with the rights owner herself.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:42 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I doubt Naoko would do anything on purpose to make the fans angry or make their lives difficult. Its very possible she has her reasons to say "no" at times but since we have no way to contact Naoko we're in a loop and the only message we get is that the author is behind these decissions

I wonder how much of this is actually Naoko and how much her co-workers. Afterall her PNP cant be just her. Wikipedia (yes i know) calls it her studio created to manage her properities. I assume its not just her but also people hired by her to work on it. Maybe there are people assigned by Naoko to do some licensing stuff in her name? On the other hand we have the message that the VIZ cast was picked by Naoko so... Its really hard to say what is going on.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:16 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membership
kevoso96 wrote:
"I can't believe this brazilian home video distributor, neither the mexican home video distributor, neither the spanish home video distributor, neither Viz. I can't believe nothing that isn't stated in public by Naoko herself". - a lot of people on this thread.

And about the people going "you got the official release after you grew up and gave birth to your second son? Just enjoy it"... I just have no words for them, it's just so much eagerness to shield Naoko from whatever criticism she gets.

Attachments:
forum.png
forum.png [ 192.29 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:02 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
SailorSugababe wrote:
I doubt Naoko would do anything on purpose to make the fans angry or make their lives difficult. Its very possible she has her reasons to say "no" at times but since we have no way to contact Naoko we're in a loop and the only message we get is that the author is behind these decissions

I wonder how much of this is actually Naoko and how much her co-workers. Afterall her PNP cant be just her. Wikipedia (yes i know) calls it her studio created to manage her properities. I assume its not just her but also people hired by her to work on it. Maybe there are people assigned by Naoko to do some licensing stuff in her name? On the other hand we have the message that the VIZ cast was picked by Naoko so... Its really hard to say what is going on.

I also wonder that too. If the staff at PNP is lazy regarding international releaaes.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:02 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Lum <3
Locking as per what I said here : viewtopic.php?p=850711#p850711

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6