* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: [US] Sailor Moon manga kanzenban thread
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:19 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

https://twitter.com/SMObss/status/850520937992777735 (pic & tweet were posted back in April)

Quote:
Announcement: The Sailor Moon manga perfect edition (kanzenban) will be published overseas! #AnimeMatsuri2017

Volume 1 is now up for pre-order, they're calling these the Eternal Editions and 1's release date is on January 30th, 2018:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1632361523
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sailor ... 1632361523

Quote:
The guardians in sailor suits return in this definitive edition of the greatest magical girl manga of all time! Featuring an extra-large size, premium paper, and an all-new translation and cover illustrations by creator Naoko Takeuchi!

Teenager Usagi is not the best athlete, she's never gotten good grades, and, well, she's a bit of a crybaby. But when she meets a talking cat, she begins a journey that will teach her she has a well of great strength just beneath the surface and the heart to inspire and stand up for her friends as Sailor Moon! Experience the Sailor Moon manga as never before in these extra-long editions (about 300 pages each).

Well this should be interesting, can't speak for Kodansha's other manga releases lately but the Attack on Titan OADs they recently released with volumes 17-20 were handled very well so I guess we can hope for the best here...and if not then at least hope for better than Flanagan's translations of the previous Moon (1-8) & V (both) releases.

Post subject: Re: [US] Sailor Moon manga kanzenban thread
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:59 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
New translation? Why i have feeling it will make some people angry? I heard there where quite a few complains to Kodansha about how they translated some phrases, personally, i have almost every volume of latest release, and i quite liked it :)

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:09 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'm very excited for this

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:11 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Awesome. The Shinsoban translations weren't bad, just clunky. A revision would do wonders.

'Eternal Edition' is a nice and fitting name too considering it references the Stars arc.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:19 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Other: TESTAMENT's imouto
Wow, I thought Kodansha USA wouldn't do this! I'm so excited for this! I even told my friend, who's a Sailor Moon fan :P I can't wait to read these!!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:34 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

January seems so far away. I wish it would be out for Christmas, but hopefully this means the translation won't be rushed.

*Goes to put my collection of the previous edition on ebay*

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:40 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
So even in America the perfect edition will be called "eternal"?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:01 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 6 months ago
inactive
I seriously JUST caved and bought the Japanese set a few months ago :P Oh well, 5 copies of the same story or 6? not much of a difference :-P

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:18 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
I already have all of the previous release but I'll be definitely double dipping for these since they're including a new English translation. I wasn't too bothered by the original release but I hope they'll fix some of the odd choices they made, like "Princess Beryl-sama." Also glad to see you joined the dark side, Sailor Astera!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:01 am 
inactive
A new translation is a great opportunity! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:05 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
I need these!! No, wait. WANT! :-P

Last edited by FloraKiraraHime on Mon May 22, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:09 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'm not too fussed. I already have the complete set. So I'm not really going to throw more money away just for more accurate translations.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:16 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
I just finished buying the whole series this week, too.

Ah well. Those colored pages are too good to pass up.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:41 am 
inactive
Delurking because of this!

As a Sailor Moon manga collector this is great news; I never thought it wouldn't happen! :happy:

Now I'm only waiting for a new art book, all the post 1st edition illustrations that Naoko has been producing over the last decade (new covers, SM Channel illustrations, not to mention those exclusive exhibition illustrations...) deserve to be collected in a nice hardcover edition. :love:

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:09 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
This is exciting, I didn't think they'd come over. Really excited about the new translation, too. Hopefully they'll include more extensive liner notes.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:26 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Here's a question, did any of the Japanese releases include anything new and if not then how about the punch comics that was in the last release (the mini-comic strips that Kodansha USA didn't bring over)?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:49 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
They're quality control is much improved then it was back then. Maybe they will get a consistant letterer as well.

Which translator would you want?

My vote is for the Nibley sisters.

If they get rid of the terms like "Evil Spirit, be exorcised", I'll be relieved yet annoyed. That term and others like it stuck around just long enough to make the redub awkward.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:29 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
January 2018. Hell of a long time to pre-order a book. I'll wait for a listing in Previews.

An all new translation means "translator" William Flanagan shouldn't have his name mentioned like at all. It took Kodansha USA a while to finally get another translator for their 1st set of republished books. I hope there will be color pages this time. I'll re-buy. It will make... how many sets?

1 - Original Japanese
2 - Tokyopop release
3 - Kodansha USA release
4 - Kodansha USA 2nd release - Eternal Edition

SnowWolf wrote:
Their quality control is much improved then it was back then. Maybe they will get a consistant letterer as well.

Which translator would you want? My vote is for the Nibley sisters.

Oh god, no. I'd rather not have them. They worked on Negima and I think some of UQ Holder.
It seems like they are Kodansha USA's go-to translators.

What should be done is some sort of survey to see what terms are most popular among fans for key phrases and ones that are accurate and literal to the original work and find an agreement and compromise. And of course, keep colloquial and slang English out of it, keep honorifics, and just make a translation that can't be dated.

These opinions are fictional. Any resemblance to actual opinions, mine or someone else's, is coincidental.

CompTIA A+ Certified IT Tech

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:30 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
No honorifics, for the love of god! We don't use them in English; they have no business in an English translation. Including them is lazy and improper.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:21 pm 
Luna
Luna
MrShoujo wrote:
What should be done is some sort of survey to see what terms are most popular among fans for key phrases and ones that are accurate and literal to the original work and find an agreement and compromise. And of course, keep colloquial and slang English out of it, keep honorifics, and just make a translation that can't be dated.

That is the literal recipe for a dated translation.

It's an English release so put as much of it in English as possible. If you want random Japanese words and honorifics left in then the previous release is still in print.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:32 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I was apprehensive about double-dipping until I read about the new translation. That sealed it for me. I will be picking these up. Kodansha's existing translation is really clunky, dry, and stale, with no personality. It READS like a translation. So glad they've improved since the bad old days.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:54 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MrShoujo wrote:
January 2018. Hell of a long time to pre-order a book. I'll wait for a listing in Previews.

An all new translation means "translator" William Flanagan shouldn't have his name mentioned like at all. It took Kodansha USA a while to finally get another translator for their 1st set of republished books. I hope there will be color pages this time. I'll re-buy. It will make... how many sets?

1 - Original Japanese
2 - Tokyopop release
3 - Kodansha USA release
4 - Kodansha USA 2nd release - Eternal Edition

SnowWolf wrote:
Their quality control is much improved then it was back then. Maybe they will get a consistant letterer as well.

Which translator would you want? My vote is for the Nibley sisters.

Oh god, no. I'd rather not have them. They worked on Negima and I think some of UQ Holder.
It seems like they are Kodansha USA's go-to translators.

Just to correct you...there are three Japanese releases and now with the Eternal Edition, there will be three English releases. Original Japanese, Japanese Renewal, Japanese Perfect. Tokyopop, Kodansha, Kodansha Eternal. That's not counting the individual issues Tokyopop (Mixx) released back in the day.

Also, I'm going to reiterate what others are saying: NO HONORIFICS. That is the sign of an unprofessional translation. Even if it's common in anime and manga nowadays, it's still not the best way to translate something.

No surveys for what the fans want because that almost never works out well (Funimation asked the fans if they wanted DBZ on Blu-ray in its original aspect ratio or cropped for widescreens, and most fans stupidly voted for cropping).

Colloquial and slang English DO belong in English translations because IT'S A TRANSLATION. These are sometimes the best ways to localize Japanese jokes that simply don't work in English.

The translation needs to be accurate to the original work but it also needs to be localized to a degree, and it needs to come across as modern English.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:15 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'd also prefer not to have any honorifics in the new translation, but from what I could tell from searching online, Kodansha Comics tends to keep them in its manga releases. Does anyone know of any recent releases from Kodansha that don't use them?

I'm still excited for this release though. I bought two volumes in Japan while I was there last year, and the quality is really great!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:48 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
John wrote:
No surveys for what the fans want because that almost never works out well (Funimation asked the fans if they wanted DBZ on Blu-ray in its original aspect ratio or cropped for widescreens, and most fans stupidly voted for cropping).

Time to kill that myth again...

https://twitter.com/lheiskell/status/621190503548129280
https://twitter.com/lheiskell/status/623695483081351169

Lance Heiskell (former marketing director) wrote:
Don't ask about 16:9 vs 4:3 ..... I fought and lost.

Quote:
I can't trust DBZ fans after they voted for 16:9 Blu-rays.

Majority of surveys voted 4:3. Then it was ignored internally. Past sales of 16:9 sold better than 4:3.

This was posted back in 2015 and 2 months after he left the company so basically, the 16:9 Blu-ray decision was ALL on FUNimation and not the voters.

Another example of a wasted survey from them was the Dragon Box one from 2012 which at first implied that they were interested in releasing more than just DBZ's Dragon Boxes but that never happened which was a ☹ shame because out of the other DB shows, the original series needed it the most...the DBZ movies also needed it but their press release for the show implied that they had the masters for those films. : / )

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:58 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Jesus, I never knew that! I'm not really in the DBZ fandom so sorry for not knowing that wasn't true. I'm so surprised it was ignored internally. Oh man. Faith restored in my fellow DBZ fans, lmao.

That said, I still don't think polling fans for their opinions is a smart thing to do. It was disastrous for Final Fantasy XV. I can only imagine what something like this would look like for Sailor Moon. They would only try to end up pleasing as many people as possible and make some weird translation choices.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:12 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I just hope this time around we get "Amazones" and "Seiren," and no more "Princess Beryl" and "Spark Ring Wide Pressure."

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:04 am 
Luna
Luna
ShinraiTenchi wrote:
I'd also prefer not to have any honorifics in the new translation, but from what I could tell from searching online, Kodansha Comics tends to keep them in its manga releases. Does anyone know of any recent releases from Kodansha that don't use them?

I'm still excited for this release though. I bought two volumes in Japan while I was there last year, and the quality is really great!

Attack on Titan doesn't use them. Across the various companies, it always seems to be the shojo titles that keep the honourifics while shounen releases remove them. Do they think Japanese honourics work best in romance or girls want then left in?

MementoNepenthe wrote:
I just hope this time around we get "Amazones" and "Seiren," and no more "Princess Beryl" and "Spark Ring Wide Pressure."

To be fair, "Spark Ring Wide Pressure" was fixed in the second printing so that's one error you definitely won't have to worry about.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:20 am 
inactive
Other: Mako-chan's fangirl
Wow! And here I was, just a couple of days ago, whining about how they didn't translate the Kanzenban edition, what with it's beatiful covers and COLOR (!) chapter art.

I know others have said they expected the perfect edition to be released in the US - but I never imagined it would come out so quickly! Wasn't the shinsoban edition "just" translated in 2012? I suppose that was five years ago, but I would assume Kodansha would want to get a large ROI for that translation before producing this next one. Maybe they already have.

And this is great news, but I just bought box sets 1 & 2 this past Christmas... I would've waited to buy if I had known they were going to publish the perfect edition over here so quickly! :supercry:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:37 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I didn't like the honorifics, but my biggest problem with Kodansha's old translation was that it lacked serious characterization. It's like the translator just found the proper technical words, and called it a day. Everyone was talking like Ami, even Usagi and Minako.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:39 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
SnowWolf wrote:

Attack on Titan doesn't use them. Across the various companies, it always seems to be the shojo titles that keep the honourifics while shounen releases remove them. Do they think Japanese honourics work best in romance or girls want then left in?

It's my understanding that the decision to keep honorifics were made at the request of the manga authors, at least that was the explanation Tokyopop always gave for why they kept it in their unflipped titles.